Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-10-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Recommendations for small SUV

My folks are after a new car. They are mid to late 60's and currently have a 05 ba2 fairmont, which is getting a bit long in the tooth, and also a bit of an issue with them getting in and out. Mum does the bulk of the driving (Dad drives a semi, so is more than happy to not drive when he's not working) and its just the 2 of them. Something a bit higher off the ground is the way to go so they can just step in and out, rather than sit on the ground.

Criteria

Must be auto
Must be cheap to run (their current fairmont runs svi lpg system, so is pretty cheap)
Must be reliable
Budget of $20k tops drive away, but better closer to $15k.

Even as a ford fan, i've steered them clear of ecosport and kuga, due to the powershift gearbox.

I've also steered them clear of diesel due to DPF burn off criteria, although depending on manufacturer some may be ok. Most recommend 20min continuous driving at 80km/h + at least once a week for the dpf regen to occur. They live semi rural (greenbank for those in qld) so would come close to meeting this requirement but probably not every week.

suggestions so far is mazda cx-5, honda cr-v, nissan x-trail, rav 4 (although not a fan of the open out rear door instead of tailgate) etc etc, you get the picture.

i have little to no idea about any of these cars so hopefully people can give some feedback as to a good solid reliable car for the folks.

how reliable are these CVT style gearboxes?
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #2
minheim

Default Re: Recommendations for small SUV

With the budget you have in mind, I would be looking at a late model mitsubishi ASX. They run the lancer drive train (apart from the diesel versions) so they would be ultra reliable, you would get some remainder factory warranty and it will give them a bit more ground height. They also are cheap to service and have 12mth/15000Km service intervals. The mitsubishi CVT won't give them any problems.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #3
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Mitsubishi ASX
*5 year warranty, get a 2nd hand one 2 years old or so and still have factory warranty remaining.
*plenty of them about, so lots of spares at the wreckers.
*CVT, we have a 2007 Outlander with 140,000+ km, we bought 2nd hand with 40k on the clock, been to Cairns, been to Melbourne via the snowys and Bathurst, and mostly run around town as a soccer mums car and the school/shopping centre runs, now with daughter at the Sunshine coast, auto only serviced once at 80k, CVT still going without a miss (touch wood), though I should get it serviced again.
*Absolutely fantastic fuel economy, more highway kms to the tank than my FG XR6 ute could get. I'll have to ask the missus what she gets around town (regional city) here but it is impressive.
*Not much in features, pretty basic, but nothing really complicated to use.

Last edited by 4stanger; 29-10-2017 at 08:51 PM.
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #4
prydey
Rob

thanks. i think they looked at some of those, so they know what they are.

my old man is typical of a lot of people of his era and thinks mitsi's are rubbish based on all the smokey magna's you used to see getting around about 20+ years ago.

also ignores hyundai and kia although i try to convince him they are a long way improved from the cars they used to be.
This user likes this post:
Old 29-10-2017, 08:47 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stanger View Post
*Not much in features, pretty basic, but nothing really complicated to use.
they don't use all the features of the fairmont, so thats not a big issue. they do use the dual zone climate though, which most small cars probably still don't have, but thats not going to be a deal breaker. things like cruise don't tend to get used.
Old 29-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #6
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

+1 on the Mitsi, my sister has had 2 cvt auto outlanders ( same as lancer/ASX underneath) and taken them both to 200k without any issues.
The other choice is Holden Trax, I've spent a fair bit of time driving one for work, it's a goldilocks car, not too big, not too small, just right. Will never be as reliable as Mitsubishi though long term.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 29-10-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
4stanger
Powered By EcoBoost

Check out the cost of replacement tyres for what ever SUV you choose, Our ASX (XLS) and Outlander (XLS) takes 18 inch rubber, they are not cheap with the better brand of tyres, look for models (early model ASX or the LS spec) with the 17 inch rims or be prepared to look for no name brands for cheap 18 inch tyres.
4stanger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2017, 09:18 PM   #8
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Have a look at the current model Suzuki Vitara. Achievable at under 20k

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/d...15197194/?Cr=6
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2017, 09:43 PM   #9
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buy a BMW x5m. 4.4 v8 twin turbo 420kw and 750nm. The best SUV my wife has owned. Might struggle to get one at $20000 though
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-10-2017, 01:01 AM   #10
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

We had the 2.0l Outlander with CVT, cheap as chips to run but a gutless piece of **** unless you wring its neck, gave it to the inlaws who love it.
I'd get the 2.4l if considering one.
The ASX has the same 2.0l but in a lighter body so would probably go much better.
My neighbour sells Suzuki's, he lets me test drive everything he brings home and the auto Vitara with 1.6l was worse than the Outlander, then I tried the manual version and it was like driving a different car altogether but seeing as you're looking at auto's I wouldn't go near it.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #11
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would be looking at the Sportage, Sorento, Tucson, and Santa Fe. Find the best bang for buck.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2017, 10:18 AM   #12
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
thanks. i think they looked at some of those, so they know what they are.

my old man is typical of a lot of people of his era and thinks mitsi's are rubbish based on all the smokey magna's you used to see getting around about 20+ years ago.

also ignores hyundai and kia although i try to convince him they are a long way improved from the cars they used to be.
Which is why CX5 sells so well, and is probably what they will get.
For what its worth the Tuscon looks like the closest comparison, but has the better warranty.
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...-vs-mazda-cx-5

ASX looks better value, but I wouldn't buy it on looks alone.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2017, 11:19 AM   #13
stig_3754

FYI, Kuga isn't affected by the Powershift debacle. Diesel uses the wet clutch version of the DCT while the Petrol uses a Torque Converter.

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig_3754 View Post
FYI, Kuga isn't affected by the Powershift debacle. Diesel uses the wet clutch version of the DCT while the Petrol uses a Torque Converter.
thats great. i know i'm biased but looking around at all these small/mid suv's, they just look so old on the inside. perhaps pics just don't do them justice, but compared to the kuga, the kuga just looks a lot better in my opinion.

not sure if the ecoboost is available on their budget but it should be.
Old 30-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #15
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RE CR-V would be my choice. No CVT and size up form ASX . CX5 is too expensive for what it is , CR-V is a better used buy . RAV 4 would be the second option.

Last edited by SumoDog68; 30-10-2017 at 06:41 PM.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2017, 07:57 PM   #16
Sioso
irregular member

My wife's CX-5 is just over 4yrs old and we have never had a single issue with it. It's the 2.5 petrol GT, there is nothing exceptional about it but at the same time it is difficult to fault.
If I was being picky I would say it changes from 1st to 2nd a little to quickly under normal acceleration, the satnav is crap and no air vents in the rear.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #17
prydey
Rob

My folks don't do much in a hurry so the search is still on. Yesterday they looked at
Nissan qashqai and X- trail (new shape)
Mazda cx-5
Hyundai Tucson

I did a bit of a spreadsheet of all their power, torque and economy figures and they are all pretty much the same. Having learned the kuga has a normal gearbox I've encouraged them to at least look and drive one. I know I'm biased but the engine has a nice flat torque curve so will drive a lot better.

Looks like they don't mind going slightly north of $20k if they have to.
3 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2017, 09:16 PM   #18
Doreturnonfoot

Have you had a look at the Hyundai ix35 - haven't driven one but from all reports these are good value
Doreturnonfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2017, 09:27 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Its a hotly contested segment really ... and as there is decent competition ... whatever they do decide on will be pretty good.

Just looking at the list of these ... it'd be hard to pick without driving all of them. So my suggestion is just that. And in the end, whichever one of them feels the most comfortable to them is the one they should get really.

Looking forward to seeing the outside of this one.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2017, 09:29 PM   #20
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doreturnonfoot View Post
Have you had a look at the Hyundai ix35 - haven't driven one but from all reports these are good value
ix35 = tucson.

agree that this is a pretty decent car, and should be available with a fair portion of factory warranty left on a decent example in their price range.
Old 19-11-2017, 09:31 PM   #21
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
Its a hotly contested segment really ... and as there is decent competition ... whatever they do decide on will be pretty good.

Just looking at the list of these ... it'd be hard to pick without driving all of them. So my suggestion is just that. And in the end, whichever one of them feels the most comfortable to them is the one they should get really.

Looking forward to seeing the outside of this one.
yes, they are all that similar that it just comes down to personal taste and preference.

i'll be up there in 4 weeks and there's a good chance they'll still have a fairmont in the carport. my procrastinating skills had to come from somewhere
Old 19-11-2017, 10:34 PM   #22
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

My wife has a Mitsubishi ASX XLS 2WD.
Great value with leather seats and panoramic glass roof with LED mood lighting.

She's had it for 3 years and done 60,000Kms and its never missed a beat.
Very economical I must say and averages 6.5 L/100.

However, the 2.0L petrol with CVT makes it feel gutless IMO, but she is happy with it.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2017, 10:41 PM   #23
prydey
Rob

the old man isn't that fussed on CVT 'boxes, even though he will rarely drive it. obviously he has read or heard some negative reports somewhere, and you know how stubborn some old people can be....

i have told my mum just to make a shortlist (which is pretty much the list a few posts up) and just drive them all and decide which one feels best. you can have the best car on paper, or the car that someone else says is the best, but if you don't like it, then it counts for nothing.

i think for the year/km/price they are looking at any one of them will be a reasonable car for them.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2017, 10:51 PM   #24
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don’t buy a **** box suv. Tell your friends to save and save and save and buy something nice. That’s my philosophy from now.
Old 19-11-2017, 10:54 PM   #25
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

By the way cvt gearboxes are garbage. If you don’t believe me drive one
Old 19-11-2017, 10:56 PM   #26
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

They vehicle is for his parents ... and they probably want a nice smooth gentle slow ride anyway. so CVT may suit them perfectly. They thread in question is not for a car enthusiast really.

I agreed with you though ... I am not a fan of CVT either myself.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-11-2017, 11:07 PM   #27
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Outlander or ASX job done.

I bet if you didn't tell your old man it was a CVT he wouldn't even know. The CVT in the Outlander is fine and I don't find it an issue at all, it's different but it's not bad. We have done 40,000km in our Outlander in the last 18 months and it hasn't missed a beat, i love it, get in and drive. My daily is 300rwkw and when i drive the MRS Outlander i don't find it underpowered at all, it does what it needs to do and is fine to overtake at 110km/h. Heaps of space when you fold the seats down as well.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2017, 11:09 PM   #28
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
Don’t buy a **** box suv. Tell your friends to save and save and save and buy something nice. That’s my philosophy from now.
its for my folks. they are near on 70. they don't want a big car and don't want to be sitting on the road. i think a small/mid suv is perfect for the older generations myself. entry/exit is much easier. visibility is better and they are arguable safer than the equivalent sedan/hatch.
Old 19-11-2017, 11:36 PM   #29
Windsor220
Now Fordless

It's got to be the Captiva
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #30
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Todays CVT = quiet smooth and fuel efficient & Reliable

Next Gen Mustang will have a 10 speed auto, I'm picking it wouldn't feel a whole lot different to a CVT.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post