Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #331
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Why is it.................?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyN View Post
Why is it, that whenever I get my car fully detailed, it either rains or I get bird poop on my car?

Why? Do mega clean cars become magnets to birds?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 18-09-2016, 04:17 PM   #332
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
The same guys that do just bench and arm-curls while checking their tats in the mirror? The same guys that have to wear pants in summer because they look like and upside-down Pyramid?

''I don't need to work on forearms, they get a workout when I do back''

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 19-09-2016, 12:28 AM   #333
Spurious

Quote:
Why is it, that whenever I get my car fully detailed, it either rains or I get bird poop on my car?

Yes they do, & my wing mirrors in particular are apparently landing strips....& what does a bird do before taking flight?
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-09-2016, 12:32 AM   #334
Spurious

Why is it...

You start the day off happy, with a clear plan regarding "routine" vehicle maintenance, but you always find a problem that you really didn't care to find, & your heart sinks further the higher you realize the bill is going to be!

The best advice a mechanic once gave me, "Weld the bonnet shut"!!!
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2016, 10:27 AM   #335
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm......why is it to tighten or close something we turn it clockwise to the right and to loosen or open it we turn it counter clockwise to the left? I mean, who decided that and why not the opposite? Why couldn't it be clockwise to open a water bottle and the opposite to tighten the cap? *as i open and close my water bottle*

Why is it "rightie tightie, leftie loosie?"

I think i have too much time on my hands this afternoon.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #336
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurious View Post
Yes they do, & my wing mirrors in particular are apparently landing strips....& what does a bird do before taking flight?
Spread it's wings......I sometimes get those dirty wispy marks on my rearview mirrors too! At first I wondered, "what the heck" then I realized they were feather wing marks! I totally get what you're saying! Stoopid birds.
Old 22-09-2016, 10:58 AM   #337
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:

If a bird craps on my car she doesn't get another date.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2016, 11:02 AM   #338
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Hmm......why is it to tighten or close something we turn it clockwise to the right and to loosen or open it we turn it counter clockwise to the left? I mean, who decided that and why not the opposite? Why couldn't it be clockwise to open a water bottle and the opposite to tighten the cap? *as i open and close my water bottle*

Why is it "rightie tightie, leftie loosie?"

I think i have too much time on my hands this afternoon.

In my 3 minutes of google time I found out it is because most people are right handed and can put more force turning clockwise.

Makes sense to me
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #339
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Spread it's wings......I sometimes get those dirty wispy marks on my rearview mirrors too! At first I wondered, "what the heck" then I realized they were feather wing marks! I totally get what you're saying! Stoopid birds.
Some birds have serious artskills.
Self portrait
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2016, 08:46 PM   #340
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
In my 3 minutes of google time I found out it is because most people are right handed and can put more force turning clockwise.

Makes sense to me
Sure I could have googled it too. But it was a wondering as I opened and closed my water bottle. Just some random thoughts among the many that I have. Thanks for checking goofle2tho!

Just a guess.....You must be a rightie?

I'm a leftie.....living in a world of righties.
Old 22-09-2016, 09:25 PM   #341
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'm a leftie.....living in a world of righties.
Fun fact - four of your last five Presidents were/are left-handed.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2016, 09:36 PM   #342
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Only us lefties are in our right mind....

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2016, 09:40 PM   #343
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Really? (About the presidents)

Yup! Cuz we lefties are right. Right?
Old 22-09-2016, 09:51 PM   #344
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
counter anti-clockwise
Why is it American's will not make any effort to learn the nuances of other English speaking nations? On this forum we speak Australian English.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2016, 09:55 PM   #345
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Why is it American's will not make any effort to learn the nuances of other English speaking nations? On this forum we speak Australian English.
Unfair. How many Australians convert to American spelling -Tyres Tires- and words like trunk and hood when talking on Seppo sites ?
Old 22-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #346
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Excuse me? I just re-read the site terms and conditions for this section and can't find where it states all users must only use Australian English. So if you're on an American forum you would use American English? Or would your answer be you wouldn't be on an American forum.
3 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2016, 11:14 PM   #347
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sink the boots into him Nicky .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-09-2016, 04:04 AM   #348
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why is it that problems are obvious and everyone raises them all the time but you still need to do a survey to point it out?

Quote:
It's the same thing to me. Opposite of clockwise.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #349
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Why is it that problems are obvious and everyone raises them all the time but you still need to do a survey to point it out?

It's the same thing to me. Opposite of clockwise.
It's just busy work and a waste of resources. These surveys are to have "proof" of whatever the obvious problem is, imo. It happens here too especially in government.

Opposite of clockwise it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
Sink the boots into him Nicky .
Lol with or without heels?
2 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2016, 01:21 AM   #350
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's just busy work and a waste of resources. These surveys are to have "proof" of whatever the obvious problem is, imo. It happens here too especially in government.

Opposite of clockwise it is.

Lol with or without heels?
Lol I need a picture of my old boss on the wall. Every time I say why the **** we do this **** he'd say it keeps people employed. As depressing as it is, it is true! Words of wisdom
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2016, 11:57 AM   #351
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day...On birds...Why is it that the local bird population , one or two who have infiltrated my roof despite my best efforts decide to leave substantial deposits on the Bank of FG XR6 every morning when I leave it out , yet if the rival Bank of AU ll is left there it's rare. Strange but true..

Do I interpret that as the AU is not worth crapping on or they think the FG's are just crap in comparison or is it birds talking to a big bird...
On Americanisms..Has 'hood' , trunk , fender , gas/ gas cap , windshield , motor instead of engine or 'donk'. and as already said , tyres spelled tires etc really started to take over yet or is it likely to ? Anyone say 'railroad crossing' or railroad ties instead of railway crossing and railway sleepers..

Then there's Pommy stuff like 'silencer' for muffler and does anybody say Lorry instead of truck.. Ton's of things like that.
Any one get bugged by ' ATM machine , tunafish sandwich , cash money,racecar, staightaway, etc coming from Stateside perchance. Imagine something like this..." Why , I need to go to the ATM Machine over there a ways past them pile of ties near the railroad crossing to to get out some cash money to buy a tunafish sandwich to eat when I go to watch the racecars come down the straightaway "..
Good ol' Septic Tanks .Defenders of the free world , maybe, just not the English language necessarily..
Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2016, 02:36 PM   #352
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day...On birds...Why is it that the local bird population , one or two who have infiltrated my roof despite my best efforts decide to leave substantial deposits on the Bank of FG XR6 every morning when I leave it out , yet if the rival Bank of AU ll is left there it's rare. Strange but true..

Do I interpret that as the AU is not worth crapping on or they think the FG's are just crap in comparison or is it birds talking to a big bird...
On Americanisms..Has 'hood' , trunk , fender , gas/ gas cap , windshield , motor instead of engine or 'donk'. and as already said , tyres spelled tires etc really started to take over yet or is it likely to ? Anyone say 'railroad crossing' or railroad ties instead of railway crossing and railway sleepers..

Then there's Pommy stuff like 'silencer' for muffler and does anybody say Lorry instead of truck.. Ton's of things like that.
Any one get bugged by ' ATM machine , tunafish sandwich , cash money,racecar, staightaway, etc coming from Stateside perchance. Imagine something like this..." Why , I need to go to the ATM Machine over there a ways past them pile of ties near the railroad crossing to to get out some cash money to buy a tunafish sandwich to eat when I go to watch the racecars come down the straightaway "..
Good ol' Septic Tanks .Defenders of the free world , maybe, just not the English language necessarily..
Cheers Rod..

They thing I don't get is that an American can say any of those things to us and we will understand. Yet I said the ute needs a new windscreen the other day and I had to point to what I was talking about.

I'm going to blame the amount of American tv we get.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2016, 08:56 PM   #353
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They thing I don't get is that an American can say any of those things to us and we will understand. Yet I said the ute needs a new windscreen the other day and I had to point to what I was talking about.

G'day Giant Cranium and all ," Too right mate."..Say that and see how many blank looks you'd get. That said I have a really good friend in Baltimore , Maryland . He's a born and bred Baltimore native. My other passion is model rail and I joined a U.S. based forum in 2012 and how I got to know Louis.

About 18 months ago I decided to find out how much a phone call would be after countless emails back and forward. To my amazement the cost was 49 cents connection fee and two cents a minute there after unlimited. So , pretty much since then , every Saturday night I rang him and his wife Angela. Now it costs 53 cents connection fee but still two cents a minute..

About Christmas time this year he found out his call rates were about the same , so now we take it in turns.
Now he wants to learn Aussie lingo and he loves trying to Aussie phrases and words. He asks numerous questions about our country and only because he has a debilitating medical condition that makes travel extremely difficult , he'd love to visit.
That said I plan to visit the Bruette's within the next few years.

Point being ,he really tries to get us and is fascinated by how similar we really are.. Not all Americans are as insular as we think which is good to know.. Oh yes , and now we're trying Skype.
He used to own a 1978 Mercury but has just bought a brand new Chevrolet City Express for work and his step son picked up an Equinox..
Just the same I still razz him on the ATM machine he's trotted out in conversation a few times and first question he asks me is "Have you had your tea yet cobber".. a lot of fun..
Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2016, 11:09 PM   #354
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Take into consideration we use plenty of slang, so that will confuse the carbs out of most nations. Plus the person/company that invents/patents something - that's the correct terminology.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2016, 10:53 AM   #355
whiskieboy

Why is it ?? that now we have finally built the LAST engine EVER , and will take a photo shortly do I feel all empty like..... after 40yrs of building these things its all over :(
whiskieboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 06:49 PM   #356
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

And the amount of Australian tv that we don't get. We get zip. We're not exposed to Australian English, the slangs and subtleties unless we learn them from an Australian.
Tire-tyre
Windshield-windscreen
Aluminum-aluminium
Hood-bonnet
Trunk-boot
Drugstore-chemist
Sunglasses-sunnies
Breakfast-brekkie
Sofa or couch-lounge
Apartment-flat
Mosquito-mozzy
Zipcode-postal code
Shopping cart-shopping trolley
Truck-ute
Bachelorette party-hen party

Just some that I know and can think of right now, I know there's lots more.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2016, 10:03 PM   #357
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
And the amount of Australian tv that we don't get. We get zip. We're not exposed to Australian English, the slangs and subtleties unless we learn them from an Australian.

Tire-tyre

Windshield-windscreen

Aluminum-aluminium

Hood-bonnet

Trunk-boot

Drugstore-chemist

Sunglasses-sunnies

Breakfast-brekkie

Sofa or couch-lounge

Apartment-flat

Mosquito-mozzy

Zipcode-postal code

Truck-ute

I approve. I'm slowly educating my work mates.
Old 28-09-2016, 03:09 PM   #358
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Don't forget tele (television) and pressie (present). Or even council (city).

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #359
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Tire-tyre
Windshield-windscreen
Aluminum-aluminium
Hood-bonnet
Trunk-boot
Drugstore-chemist
Sunglasses-sunnies
Breakfast-brekkie
Sofa or couch-lounge
Apartment-flat
Mosquito-mozzy
Zipcode-postal code
Truck-ute

Hey, you forgot thongs...

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #360
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Hey, you forgot thongs...
A Friend once said Americans have there Rs in everything except their Rs.
(Compare US Nissan, Mazda pronunciation to a common vulgar word for bottom that starts with A)
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post