Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-07-2014, 01:09 AM   #751
tasdex

Default Re: The AFF Beer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
Slightly off topic, but this is the best place to ask.

What do you use to revitalise your beer drinking glasses? I've got 4 x 425ml pilsener style glasses that have only ever had beer in them and are stored in the freezer. They don't hold the head or "work" the bubbles anywhere like they used to.

I've followed my dad's oath of only washing them in warm salty water which worked for a while, but it's now failing. Have tried using the sterilising stuff like sodium metabisulphite and Milton's baby bottle wash to no avail. They've never seen dishwashing detergent.

To spark them up I'm now putting the tiniest pinch of salt in before I pour - yeah, I know that's just not on!

Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance.

Back on topic, my all time favourite beer was Tooheys Pils, sadly it was taken off the market. Unless I'm up for a treat, I buy whatever heavy beer is on special at the time.

Cheers!

become mates with someone that has a small sand/bead blaster ..
just a light " shot" in the base of the glass to roughen the bottom .
the textured/rough surface allows the beer to work its magic .
tasdex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2015, 01:49 AM   #752
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Stone and Wood Pacific Ale

Yes, you guessed it....
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2015, 09:00 AM   #753
brennan.

Grizzly Beers, Sticky Wicket, Lawn Ranger, Bouncing Czech, Mumbo Jumbo.. And Lion Red for the other days. That, to me, is a delicious and varied beer fridge that i could never get bored of.
Old 25-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #754
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
Slightly off topic, but this is the best place to ask.

What do you use to revitalise your beer drinking glasses? I've got 4 x 425ml pilsener style glasses that have only ever had beer in them and are stored in the freezer. They don't hold the head or "work" the bubbles anywhere like they used to.

I've followed my dad's oath of only washing them in warm salty water which worked for a while, but it's now failing. Have tried using the sterilising stuff like sodium metabisulphite and Milton's baby bottle wash to no avail. They've never seen dishwashing detergent.

To spark them up I'm now putting the tiniest pinch of salt in before I pour - yeah, I know that's just not on!

Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance.

Back on topic, my all time favourite beer was Tooheys Pils, sadly it was taken off the market. Unless I'm up for a treat, I buy whatever heavy beer is on special at the time.

Cheers!
The glass just needs to be really clean, it's inert and it's only surface contaminants that cause the gas to come out of the beer too quickly. Just spend the time to polish the glass on the inside back to spotless and your beer will come to life again. Too many times through a wash cycle without manually scrubbing residue off of the inside of the glass, all the way to the bottom, will result in flat beer.
Why do you think you see good barmen/women idley polishing glasses when they're not busy, it's not just to keep their hands busy, it's to bring the glass back to properly clean.
Also, having the glasses in the freezer makes the glass so much colder than the beer that the gas will come out quicker too. Think about pouring a room temp coke into a glass of ice, the coke froths up so much it can spill over the top. Pour a cold coke into that same glass of ice and the froth is dramatically reduced.
Keep your glasses in the fridge with the beer and you'll minimise gas loss.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Last edited by Bushbasher; 25-01-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-01-2015, 11:59 AM   #755
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennan. View Post
Grizzly Beers, Sticky Wicket, Lawn Ranger, Bouncing Czech, Mumbo Jumbo.. And Lion Red for the other days. That, to me, is a delicious and varied beer fridge that i could never get bored of.
Aldi (Australia) stock a beer called 'Storm'. It's from New Zealand. It actually tastes quite good, 5%, 330ml and its only $34 a slab. Just wondering if you've ever heard of it? Label states that it's specific to Aldi stores, but I'm hoping that they just bottled a local beer and relabeled it. In reality though, they probably just import all the ingredients from Vietnam and muster everything together in a disused slaughterhouse.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2015, 05:19 PM   #756
brennan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Aldi (Australia) stock a beer called 'Storm'. It's from New Zealand. It actually tastes quite good, 5%, 330ml and its only $34 a slab. Just wondering if you've ever heard of it? Label states that it's specific to Aldi stores, but I'm hoping that they just bottled a local beer and relabeled it. In reality though, they probably just import all the ingredients from Vietnam and muster everything together in a disused slaughterhouse.
I can't say I've heard of it but I'm always keen to find little amber gems in that wondrous cold wonderland just beyond the chiller door. I'll definitely have a look next time I'm in there.
Old 15-05-2015, 11:20 PM   #757
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Gage Road Atomic Pale Ale
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2015, 09:19 PM   #758
professorsabre
NECO

Cricketers Arms Pale Ale
professorsabre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #759
adrianb

Good Beer Week is on in Melbourne at the moment - god help my liver!

Saturday night I got my growler filled with Willie Warmer by Seven Sheds, a spiced dark ale with star anise, to drink while I watched the footy at home.

Sunday I dropped into Beer De Luxe for a few before dinner and had a Hopped Out Red from Kaiju!, Coco Noir from 4 Pines (coconut and blackberry brown ale) and an Imperial IPA from Pirate Life.

Dinner was Indian at a place called Horn Please with beers provided by Feral Brewing Co from the Swan Valley in WA. Had Hop Hog, Cat IPA, Fanta Pants red ale and a black IPA to finish off.

Absolutely love aussie craft beer and the state of the industry at the moment! If you're in Melbourne hit up some Good Beer Week venues and events!
Old 18-05-2015, 02:14 PM   #760
AD07

Tried the Matso Chili Beer, after trying the Matso Mango Beer.......do yourself a favor, don't bother.
AD07 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #761
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianb View Post

Saturday night I got my growler filled with Willie Warmer by Seven Sheds, a spiced dark ale with star anise, to drink while I watched the footy at home.

Sunday I dropped into Beer De Luxe for a few before dinner and had a Hopped Out Red from Kaiju!, Coco Noir from 4 Pines (coconut and blackberry brown ale) and an Imperial IPA from Pirate Life.

Dinner was Indian at a place called Horn Please with beers provided by Feral Brewing Co from the Swan Valley in WA. Had Hop Hog, Cat IPA, Fanta Pants red ale and a black IPA to finish off.

Absolutely love aussie craft beer and the state of the industry at the moment! If you're in Melbourne hit up some Good Beer Week venues and events!
The 4 Pines pub in Manly is a great place to spend an afternoon, all their main beers plus a couple you can only get there. Great food as well as tasting size mixed trays of their beers.
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2015, 09:07 PM   #762
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD07 View Post
Tried the Matso Chili Beer, after trying the Matso Mango Beer.......do yourself a favor, don't bother.

whats your opinion of the mango beer? Curious. Haven't tried it myself, but thinking of laying down a clone using either mangosteens or papaya instead of mangoes in summer.

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #763
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrianb View Post

I recently dropped into Coldstream Brewery and also Hargraves in Yarra Glen and both pots of beer i bought were $8!!!

I love a nice craft beer but the prices are getting rediculous???
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2015, 11:42 AM   #764
AD07

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgirl View Post
whats your opinion of the mango beer? Curious. Haven't tried it myself, but thinking of laying down a clone using either mangosteens or papaya instead of mangoes in summer.
Thought it was nice and refreshing, not too intense on the Mango, just enough.
Don't know if I would drink much more than a 6 pack at a time. It would be a good Summer beer.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #765
AD07

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkgirl View Post
Thought it was nice and refreshing, not too intense on the Mango, just enough.
Don't know if I would drink much more than a 6 pack at a time. It would be a good Summer beer.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #766
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Wifey and I went to Green Park in Brunswick as part of good beer week (Mega Dega III) and had a blast. They had a 6 course menu with matching beers from Jester King and Victory from the US, Coedo from Japan, La Sirene (Winners of last years GABS peoples choice), Nail Brewing and 4 Pines.
Even lucky enough to have a brewer from Victory sit on our table.

Spent the Friday lunch, Saturday night and Sunday lunch session going through both containers at GABS.
Highlights from me were; 4 Pines - Snickers, Brewcult - Milk and Two Sugars, La Sirene - Bebe Rogue and Morrison Brewery - Smoked Chilli IPA and of course Stone and Wood's Stone beer (but that had already been out before GBW)

Already applied for Annual leave for the next years good beer week!
Old 16-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #767
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU View Post
.... La Sirene (Winners of last years GABS peoples choice),
Was fortunate enough to try their Praline the other day. Sooooo good.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #768
harlz1

Rob you are a legend.
harlz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2015, 07:17 PM   #769
Rob
Living the dream

Heh, haven't been active on AFF for some time; didn't think this thread would still be around.

I like beer, me ��

EDIT - James Squires 150 Lashes is a current favourite, thought I don't like the fancy names and euro style 330ml bottles.

Last edited by Rob; 27-12-2015 at 07:19 PM. Reason: relevancy
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2015, 07:37 PM   #770
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Heh, haven't been active on AFF for some time; didn't think this thread would still be around.

I like beer, me ��

EDIT - James Squires 150 Lashes is a current favourite, thought I don't like the fancy names and euro style 330ml bottles.
Just cracked a 150 lashes before opening this thread 😏

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post