Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-10-2014, 12:45 AM   #1
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Support your paramedics

http://www.sbs.com.au/thefeed/blog/2...under-pressure

This is the human side of it when paramedics ask for public support in regards to pay and conditions. I know for a fact that both NSW and Vic are having serious problems, QLD is in serious trouble.

I can't use my Facebook to put the word out as I would get the sack, please help out. Check in your state and see how your ambo's are going, help them with their health so they can look after yours.

Old 31-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #2
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Support your paramedics

It's a tough gig, problem is the general public will never understand nor comprehend the half of what a Paramedic (and other service personnel) has to deal with.

I purposely avoid talking about aspects of my job with friends/family as you can see in their eyes that they just have no idea.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
http://www.sbs.com.au/thefeed/blog/2...under-pressure

This is the human side of it when paramedics ask for public support in regards to pay and conditions.
What do they want? Reduced shift length? I assume paramedics get paid some sort of loading/overtime for the length of shift? Would they be willing to forego this extra money if the shifts were a more standard 8hr/etc length?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #4
cram_it_frog
wombat

I did some thing similar when I was in my 20s I joined st johns ambulance in Perth and I used to go to the female under 19s basket ball matches and first aid office as a volunteer

it make you feel good and you have done some thing to help others

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

From my experience no one will ever truly understand what a situation is like until they have experienced it themselves. Rocking up to a situation with people dead, kids and adults are visions that stick with me the most. I've done some crazy things and seen some crazy stuff in my short life and out of everything i've done it's the visions of dead innocent people that always come back to me.

No one understands, everyone thinks its a perfect world and there are not many people that actually care either. 90% of people will pass by this thread as they don't think it affects them directly, how wrong they are.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
cram_it_frog
wombat

Fordomatic

I have moved to a remote mining town and the people here are amazing the life style will add years to my life because of less stress and pressure

No one understands, everyone thinks its a perfect world and there are not many people that actually care

That is the way many live in todays world they live is this little secure bubble and that makes them feel safe and secure that is the way many people live

nothing wrong that really it is a way of getting through the day

people do not want to know about death and such till it is often too late ie family member get cancer and has 3 months then it hits them in the face

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Victoria we do two 10 hour shifts (07:00 to 17:00) and then 2 14 hour night shifts (17:00 to 07:00). There aren't any extra penalty rates for nights/weekends/public holidays, rather you get what's called a rolled in rate which is meant to compensate that. However that leaves the base rate of pay fairly low in the grand scheme of things. And I am seriously thinking of taking a substantial pay cut just so I won't have to miss Christmas/nights etc so I can spend more time with friends and family. Being an ambo can be fairly lonely experience as you lose more and more friends, because you missed that BBQ/wedding etc.

I've just turned 27 and have spent almost 6 years in the industry and am now wondering where to go from here. I'm off the road at the moment temporarily because of a neck injury I sustained at work and am only now learning what a 'normal' 9-5 job is like, Mon-fri and sleeping in my own bed every night.

In short the above conditions coupled with the the stress of the job means almost every paramedic I know has some sort of mental health issue. The sad thing is its really up to us to look out for each other because there's no way the service or government will do anything any time soon to change the working conditions. But how 14 hour plus shifts are still acceptable in 2014 is beyond me.

My Show and Shine thread:

https://fordforums.com.au/showthread...27#post5975027
Dalonian is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2014, 05:31 PM   #8
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't imagine how paramedics (and all emergency services for that matter) can cope with what they have to see and do for such long periods. I worked 12 hour shifts riding a desk (IT) and even that had pretty bad effects on me.

Maybe the exact reason they have to do such shifts is because they can't attract enough people for what they pay or don't want to employ more people. Out of all our public services these need to be properly resourced and have support for those workers too.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #9
Itsme
Experienced Member

Well boys I have worked in emergency situations years ago & as the old saying
" If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen"
Not being rude but it is true.
Some people are cut out for it while others are not.

Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2014, 05:58 PM   #10
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post

Dumbest post of the year you have no idea, when you push people to the edge and give them no support what do you expect to happen? Paramedics are leaving the job in droves, the conditions are woeful and there is no support for any of them post career. You must be one tough old cookie buddy, i don't know a single paramedic that is not affected by what they have seen, and i don't know any that complain either. All they are asking for is support, and the support isn't there.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 31-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #11
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You're not looking at all the issues. Looking at trauma, watching people die is not something everything can deal with, but when you combine that with an ever increasing workload, working nights EVERY week, regularly working public holidays and weekends and being paid peanuts means no one will be able to do it for the rest of their lives. Do you do two 14 hour shifts every week?

Old 31-10-2014, 08:48 PM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Just out of curiosity what are the hourly rates and conditions (holiday loading, sick leave etc)
Old 31-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #13
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
Dumbest post of the year you have no idea, when you push people to the edge and give them no support what do you expect to happen? Paramedics are leaving the job in droves, the conditions are woeful and there is no support for any of them post career. You must be one tough old cookie buddy, i don't know a single paramedic that is not affected by what they have seen, and i don't know any that complain either. All they are asking for is support, and the support isn't there.
He has quite a few of those type of posts. Ambo's , like nurses, just brilliant. We'd be buggered without them.............
Old 31-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #14
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

My missus is a medic & if it wasn't for these brave, noble & disciplined people the world would be buggered without them.

Support your local medics with all your heart, they are human angels!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #15
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Just out of curiosity what are the hourly rates and conditions (holiday loading, sick leave etc)
In Victoria, the standard 4 weeks of annual leave. Then we get an extra week because we work weekends/public holidays. So 5 weeks of annual leave.

The roster we work is x2 10 hours shifts and x2 14 hour shifts so we work 48 hours a week. As a result we earn roughly 3 weeks worth of ADOs.

So it works out to be 8 weeks of paid leave. The common misconception is that we get 8 weeks of annual leave (or even 10 as stated by our beloved health minister) however if you break it down we get the same 4 weeks as everyone else and the rest is essentially compensation for overtime.

Old 31-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #16
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
I've been involved in a job where I have to deal with terrible accidents so I don't need your comment to say I don't know what it is like, I had to give up a career as their was no support in my job.
Like I said if it is getting to you then move on otherwise pay the consequences.

Yeah you are right I am a hard bastard & I was affected but life goes on.
Old 31-10-2014, 10:38 PM   #17
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalonian View Post
You're not looking at all the issues. Looking at trauma, watching people die is not something everything can deal with, but when you combine that with an ever increasing workload, working nights EVERY week, regularly working public holidays and weekends and being paid peanuts means no one will be able to do it for the rest of their lives. Do you do two 14 hour shifts every week?
I've worked the hard shifts for 11 years, yeah it burnt me out eventually.
Next question!
Old 31-10-2014, 10:55 PM   #18
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've worked the hard shifts for 11 years, yeah it burnt me out eventually.
Next question!
And that is exactly what is happening, people are burning out and in some cases committing suicide at an alarming rate. So do we just acknowledge that that is what happens and have a defeatist attitude or do we try and prevent it by tweaking working conditions and supporting our emergency service workers?

Old 31-10-2014, 11:09 PM   #19
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalonian View Post
And that is exactly what is happening, people are burning out and in some cases committing suicide at an alarming rate. So do we just acknowledge that that is what happens and have a defeatist attitude or do we try and prevent it by tweaking working conditions and supporting our emergency service workers?
I have the greatest admiration for any emergency service worker, I truly hope they get more help but at the end of the day if it is getting to you it is time to get out, and that is what I did in the end & recommend this to any one else in the same situation.
Other alternative keep going until you break down! No thanks the human body & mind can only do so much.
Old 31-10-2014, 11:45 PM   #20
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

14hr shifts are pretty out there. Our Ambos out here (SJA) do 2x 12hr days // 2x 12hr nights, so 6-6's I think.

Not exactly on topic, but it's my opinion that Ambos should be able to carry capsicum spray and/or a baton in the van. I can't believe some of the situations Ambos have to go to without Police support sometimes.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:34 PM   #21
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple6 View Post
Not exactly on topic, but it's my opinion that Ambos should be able to carry capsicum spray and/or a baton in the van. I can't believe some of the situations Ambos have to go to without Police support sometimes.
Very sad to hear this when trying to assist/help some one & you must protect your self, just shows the ugly side of society.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:20 PM   #22
Dalonian
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Police have the luxury of deciding whether or not they want to attend a job. Paramedics get dispatched no matter what (as a general rule). If the police are busy, we basically get told to attend and provide a SitRep. Obviously if we feel there's any danger we don't go in and park around the corner.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #23
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People in these sorts of jobs should get paid more/top dollar...... end of story!
They should also have more of them so they don`t have to work stupid hours and have time to recuperate.
That last little bit of that video where Ambulance Victoria talks about fatigue, i did not hear any mention of stress management ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #24
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I have the greatest admiration for any emergency service worker, I truly hope they get more help but at the end of the day if it is getting to you it is time to get out, and that is what I did in the end & recommend this to any one else in the same situation.
Other alternative keep going until you break down! No thanks the human body & mind can only do so much.
wouldn't this just increase the strain on an already struggling industry?
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #25
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Ambulance Victoria is very well known for its internal bullying culture also, that whole group needs a kick in the *** by the Government.

I think your average Victorian Paramedic lasts 5 years in the job before burning out.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2014, 07:44 PM   #26
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
wouldn't this just increase the strain on an already struggling industry?
So you be happy to burn your self out or even better have a breakdown of some sort for an inept system.
My employer did not really give a **** about me at the time, I was only a number.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:46 AM   #27
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
What do they want? Reduced shift length? I assume paramedics get paid some sort of loading/overtime for the length of shift? Would they be willing to forego this extra money if the shifts were a more standard 8hr/etc length?
In essence no, rostering that has shift overlap is the key here. There is overtime but the issue is the money is not worth it when you never know when you finish work.

We work 12 hour shifts which when you look at the shift length is a good system as it give more days off and more time to clear the head. Shorter shifts such as 8 hr do not allow that. The problem is we never know our finish time, a 12 hr shift often last 13 hrs, 14 hrs or even 15 hrs. You can't plan anything, you have no goal post to reach when you are tired. Then you have the issue that many ambulance services do not support trying to get crews relieved of shift until they reach the 2 hour overtime mark, by which time you are fatigued and then you have to come back in 10 hours time and do it all over again.

My question to you, would you want to go to work knowing that you have no choice you must do overtime at the end of your shift with such frequency that it happens more than you actually finish on time? It happens to us so regularly that we actually get excited if we finish on time. I can tell that if many industries tried that on their workforce there would be strike action.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #28
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram_it_frog View Post
I did some thing similar when I was in my 20s I joined st johns ambulance in Perth and I used to go to the female under 19s basket ball matches and first aid office as a volunteer

it make you feel good and you have done some thing to help others
That is true, it used to. Sometimes it still does and we still get that reward. The problem is that gets eroded by the frivolous callouts that we get. Just the other day I went to a person with a leg infection that caught a bus to see his GP the previous day and the GP told him to go to hospital. So he caught a bus back home and then the next day called an ambulance to take him to hospital because he pays tax and is entitled to it. No reward there, just frustration and it is a daily occurrence for ambulance crews. Jobs like that are often the ones that we do our 2 hours of compulsory overtime for, the ones that mean we don't see our kids for 3 days.

I guess my point here is we are not volunteers, we are professional paramedics with professional responsibilities which both the government and the public insist we have. The problem is the government use that "volunteer" and "good samaritan" nature that all paramedics have to limit our pay and place unreasonable work conditions on us. Ultimately the stress causes issues and paramedics have disproportionately high divorce rates, high incidence of depression, poor health, statistically a 10 year shorter life span and a suicide rate 20 times that of the general public.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #29
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
My question to you, would you want to go to work knowing that you have no choice you must do overtime at the end of your shift with such frequency that it happens more than you actually finish on time? It happens to us so regularly that we actually get excited if we finish on time. I can tell that if many industries tried that on their workforce there would be strike action.
I get the ***** if I have to work 3 minutes extra over my finish time so imagine if I was forced to do several hours OT with no choice.

Is there no option for you to strike? I do realise there are people out there with life threatening issues that need the service however if they get a fatigued ambo after working 14 straight hours the risk is exceptionally high that mistakes can be made.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #30
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
From my experience no one will ever truly understand what a situation is like until they have experienced it themselves. Rocking up to a situation with people dead, kids and adults are visions that stick with me the most. I've done some crazy things and seen some crazy stuff in my short life and out of everything i've done it's the visions of dead innocent people that always come back to me.

No one understands, everyone thinks its a perfect world and there are not many people that actually care either. 90% of people will pass by this thread as they don't think it affects them directly, how wrong they are.

So true.

Many think if they don't like it why don't they get out of it? Well paramedics are, they are either getting out of the job or many of the experienced paramedics are moving to rural areas to get some relief from the stress. When I first started you were not really considered an experienced paramedic until you had been in the job 10 years and not senior until you had 20 years up. Now, you are considered experienced after 2 years and senior after 5 years. At 10 years I am now being considered a bit of a dinosaur.

I feel sorry of the public, the paramedic treating your family is now more frequently a kid with 1-2 years out of Uni with no experience and some of them still have P plates. I know I would prefer someone with 10-20 years experience.