Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 08-01-2005, 04:42 PM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Rim spacers/adapters

Ok, now, on the old FF I read that I think Bozza17 (sp?) might have started a thread on this so sorry about digging it up again.

As we all know rim selection for e-series suck unless you want the factory stuff. Well I plan to be different and Im looking for rims similar to the simmons OM series. I would like some simmons but I dont like the $3k+ price tag.

I found some sweet ANZ rims but I need this adapter things. Now, these look like they are VERY high quality and if the TTF are selling them then I cant see how they can be dodgey. They are $300 for a set. Anyone had any experience?

i just want to know if any other members have them fitted?

I also forgot to ask (and I know this is going to sound dumb) if it increases the track at all. Because they bolt onto the hub I guess it would?..maybe..I dont know.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They dont increase the track because the wheels have a different offset. They just fill in the space between. If you were to fit the wheels without them it would decrease the track.

I have seens some of the high quality spacers - the kind that bolt onto your hubs. Tyrepower was selling them for $100 each and they were engineered and completely legal. I wouldnt have any hangups about fitting them to my car, just the dodgy spacers you gotta watch out for.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2005, 04:57 PM   #3
Sundeep
Banned

I did that thread :

T_Terror's been using a set of adapters for a while for his 18" wheels. He's selling them now and I'm buying them so I can fit a set of a AU style wheels to my car after it's sprayed. AFAIK he has had no problems with his, they're generally pretty reliable from what I've read and heard.

Some people, though, have concerns that the pressure is taken off the wheel bearings and put on to the wheel studs or something.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2005, 07:57 PM   #4
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I still can't see how it is any different to standard wheels. The wheel bearing isn't moved, the tyre isn't moved, how can any extra load be put on anything? The only issue I see is running out of thread on the wheel studs.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

U dont run out of threed.. i agrea, the load center is changed using au rims with spaces.
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 09:27 AM   #6
EFFalcon
Last warning

is it changed using AU copies?
i'd imagine it would be :P
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 09:50 AM   #7
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
I still can't see how it is any different to standard wheels. The wheel bearing isn't moved, the tyre isn't moved, how can any extra load be put on anything? The only issue I see is running out of thread on the wheel studs.
Spacers are not the same as adapters, adpaters use a completely new set of studs... So there is no compromise of thread length

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2005, 02:16 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
Spacers are not the same as adapters, adpaters use a completely new set of studs... So there is no compromise of thread length
yeap you are right..spacers I know I wouldn't touch..but these adapters look very well made.

What about insurance...do they need to know about them?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-01-2005, 06:41 PM   #9
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
Yeah I meant spacers, even though I wouldn't touch them with a 50 foot pole.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 01:37 AM   #10
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Ok, now, on the old FF I read that I think Bozza17 (sp?) might have started a thread on this so sorry about digging it up again.

As we all know rim selection for e-series suck unless you want the factory stuff. Well I plan to be different and Im looking for rims similar to the simmons OM series. I would like some simmons but I dont like the $3k+ price tag.

I found some sweet ANZ rims but I need this adapter things. Now, these look like they are VERY high quality and if the TTF are selling them then I cant see how they can be dodgey. They are $300 for a set. Anyone had any experience?

i just want to know if any other members have them fitted?

I also forgot to ask (and I know this is going to sound dumb) if it increases the track at all. Because they bolt onto the hub I guess it would?..maybe..I dont know.

ill do you a set for 250 (brand new)
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 01:17 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror

ill do you a set for 250 (brand new)
where about are you? Are they the same ones that TTF use? Are there different brands out there?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 11-01-2005, 07:38 PM   #12
EL_futuraistic

AHHH, yeah i think insurance would have a few issues about them. I personally wouldnt feel comfortable fitting them. They would certainly change the fulcrum or weight that is placed on the wheel bearing. Its placing the weight further out, It would really depend on your insurance but im sure RACV wouldnt touch them.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2005, 07:55 PM   #13
LUXO_8
windsor user

RACV wont touch them hence why i dont have a set of 18"Azzuro's on my car.

they look 110% safe, and i would have no worries about using them, only if i needed to make a claim and they voided my insurance, hell id be ****ed.......
so i will run my 17" csa's instead...
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 12:11 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

hmm well this is annoying...I guess Ill just have to ring around. Damn Im with RACV..$22/month was nice...

Guys with the adapters who are you insured with?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 12-01-2005, 12:21 PM   #15
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_futuraistic
AHHH, yeah i think insurance would have a few issues about them. I personally wouldnt feel comfortable fitting them. They would certainly change the fulcrum or weight that is placed on the wheel bearing. Its placing the weight further out, It would really depend on your insurance but im sure RACV wouldnt touch them.
They dont move weight out!

If you were to fit an AU-> wheel onto an e-series it would sit far inside th guard. All the adaptors do is replace the metal that ford has taken out and move the wheel back into the correct position. An AU-> mag with adaptors will have the same weight and offset as an E-series mag (and hence sit in the same place and put the same amount of strain on the suspension components). As long as the adaptor is stronger that the origional ford studs, they wont weaken the assembly.

Spacers are different, as they push the mag further out on the origional ford studs. These are dodgy and will weaken the assembly.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2005, 12:27 PM   #16
b2tf
not here much anymore

I've seen the adapaters up here too, and apparently NRMA are ok with them (thats what the tyre guy said tho, so i would check it out first).

This is very handy as im seriously considering whacking a set of AU 16's on the EF (gotta be better than what ive got now).
Old 12-01-2005, 07:26 PM   #17
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstandard
They dont move weight out!

If you were to fit an AU-> wheel onto an e-series it would sit far inside th guard. All the adaptors do is replace the metal that ford has taken out and move the wheel back into the correct position. An AU-> mag with adaptors will have the same weight and offset as an E-series mag (and hence sit in the same place and put the same amount of strain on the suspension components). As long as the adaptor is stronger that the origional ford studs, they wont weaken the assembly.

Spacers are different, as they push the mag further out on the origional ford studs. These are dodgy and will weaken the assembly.

said like a champion.......
wanna put it to RACV in the same manner?
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2005, 01:43 AM   #18
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
where about are you? Are they the same ones that TTF use? Are there different brands out there?

Im in SE Melbourne.

I got no idea what TTF uses. My ones are ISO recognised and have worked fine for me.

Im sure there are different brands, some people just machine their own as well.

PM if interested.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post