Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Cougar and Probe

Old 11-02-2005, 06:43 PM   #1
professorsabre
NECO

Question Mondeo Cougar Rear Swaybay

I posted this on whiteline's forum but have not been able to confirm...

Wondering if anyone can help, I want to purchase the HB-HC 2000 Mondeo rear swaybar and put it on my Cougar. I was trying to find out what size orig bar is from Ford and they couldn't tell me. I asked them if it was the Mondeo and Cougar bar were the same and they couldn't tell me. I searched a US online part listing and they list the same part number for both.

i.e.
F7RZ 5A772 CA For 2001 Cougar
F7RZ-5A772-CA For Contour (US Mondeo)

Am I safe to say that both bars are the same and I will be able to use the BFR57 swaybar?

Appreciate your assistance.

If anyone has done this or knows it would be a great help.

Cheers
professorsabre is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2005, 12:48 AM   #2
dontask
Starter Motor

Hi professorsabre, how are you!

The orig size of our rear swaybars are 19mm. You have to upgrade to at least 20mm or above to get any more benefit. Also, you need to make sure the new bar has new bushings, and that you get a professional shop to box those mounts in (you need a welder).. otherwise they WILL break (happened to me).

A new sway bar bigger than 21mm will require the fuel tank to be dropped...

I bought my 21mm swaybar from the States.... feels and corners great!

But, although most Mondeos share our base layout, if you can confirm that the whiteline swaybar you want fits the latest HE Mondeo, then it should fit the Coog too...
dontask is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2005, 09:10 PM   #3
professorsabre
NECO

Hey donkask, about time you joined up here. I'm doing well.

The Whiteline bar is 20mm and I'm getting it pro. installed and boxed. Whiteline can't confirm the above will fit so the only way to confirm was to order it. Haven't got it yet, it's gotta be made, it's not an off the shelf bar.

If it doen't fit it'll be ok only a small cash outlay. I'll still be ****ed tho!

Anyway how's you coog goin? Everthing fixed I hope.

Cheers
Old 12-03-2005, 02:54 AM   #4
dontask
Starter Motor

The coog is completely taken apart now (she looks so delicate sitting in my garage).... plenty of work has been done.... but alas, the engine is in pieces!

I got the block honed and resurfaced and just got it back.. headers and pistons have been recoated HPC style.... I'm just cleaning all the parts before I start putting everything together.. as well as waiting for a rather large parts order from the States.
dontask is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2005, 05:25 PM   #5
professorsabre
NECO

Did you end up Getting that Mazda Tribute V6 for your car? Is that the ebgine your working on atm or is it the V6 Duratec? Very interested in your progress, keep me updated.

Cheers
Old 15-04-2005, 08:54 PM   #6
professorsabre
NECO

Hi everyone,

need input, would be greatly appreciated

Well got the bar today, went to install it and the bar ends are at a different angle.

The bar's dimensions are the same only thing is, is that the eyes on the end that connect to the subframe are at a 90deg angle and need to be at a 45deg angle.

Do you think it would be ok to take it to someone, being Industrial Springs on Port Rd for the ppl in SA, who can heat the bar and turn the ends to where it should be? Or would it be ok for them to cut near the ends and reweld them where I need them to be.

Not worried about warrany issues just concerned about the strength of the bar after doing this.

Appreciate everyones input and concers.

p.s. yes I'm a little ****ed but it was a 50/50 chance it would fit.

Cheers
Old 20-04-2005, 07:25 PM   #7
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn... too late!

I was about to post a response saying not to buy the BFR57 bar. I've got one on the rear of my ST24, and as you've just found, the ends are different to your Cougar.

The earlier model Mondeos (HA , HB?) do have the same end links as your Cougar has got. Try checking if Whiteline make a bar to suit them.
murcod is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2005, 10:16 PM   #8
professorsabre
NECO

That's ok I wasn't sure it was going to work anyay, not to say it didn't **** me off still!

Problem with the pre 1997 HA-HB bar is it's only 18mm and the Cougar has a 19mm bar standard.

Whiteline asked me to post some pics up and they'll have a look at them and advise me what to do.

Maybe something good will come outa this.

Cheers
Old 21-04-2005, 08:35 PM   #9
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some other useless info that may help you one day: the Mondeo and Cougar share the same basic floorpan and suspension; however the Cougar has a different front subframe and improved lower wishbone mounts compared to the Aussie Mondeos (including the ST24.) There was the ST200 Mondeo in Europe and it used the Cougar front subframe and lower wishbones for improved handling. The ST200 also used a smaller front rollbar and larger rear (when compared to my ST24- not sure what the Cougars run?)

My larger rear swaybar improved the turn in. The Koni shocks made it even better. Always wanted to find a wrecked Cougar and get my hands on that better subframe and wishbones.....
Old 21-04-2005, 10:41 PM   #10
professorsabre
NECO

Yeah I've got the Koni shocks and it made difference and I wanteed to improve it more with a larger rear swaybar.

Well I may be in luck still. I'll wait to see what Whiteline say.
Old 22-04-2005, 10:01 AM   #11
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good luck.

Who ever set these forums up should have put the Cougar and Mondeo into the same group!? About the only thing the Focus shares with a Mondeo is the same wheel PCD and gearboxes (IIRC) :
Old 23-04-2005, 11:47 AM   #12
professorsabre
NECO

I didn't notice that Cougar/Mondeo/Focus were in the same group. Anyway it's not now. Doesn't really matter to me because I think I'm the only regular Cougar owner that visits the forum.