Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 05-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #1
Eisbaer
Starter Motor

Default 2016 Focus LZ questions

Hi all,

I picked up a new Focus Sport in September (was waiting for Sync 3 to come out). Enjoying it so far, but hoping you can help answer some questions:
  1. How much boost does the turbo run from factory?
  2. Does the Australian version run a MAP or MAF sensor? From what I can find, the Euro models are MAF due to emissions standards whereas US models are MAP.
  3. Has anyone tried any tuning chips, and was it worth it? I have seen this one from Superchips which claims 25 HP and 63 Nm increase, or this one for the US Ford Fusion 1.5L. Obviously it's not an ST or RS, but I wouldn't say no to a little more punch, especially torque down low.
  4. Any suggestions for better fuel economy (other than driving style)? I'm getting about 10L/100km around town which is disappointing. I was getting 7L/100km in my 2013 1.8L i30 (obviously non-turbo). Will any of the tuning chips help with this? When I had one on my WRX it actually improved performance AND fuel economy (when off boost).
  5. Is there any way to set the doors to auto-lock when driving? My last 4 cars have had this, so it seems strange for a new car not to do it. (My searches seem to find the answer is no)
  6. Has anyone had issues with the stereo/screen not turning on? There have been 3 occasions so far where I've turned the car on and the screen just won't come on and there's no radio or anything. Have to lock the car and walk away then come back and start it for it to come back on.

Thanks in advance!

Eisbaer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
Licky
Starter Motor

Default Re: 2016 Focus LZ questions

Fuel economy seems a bit weak. I've been getting roughly 6.5L/100KM in mine (calculated not according to the trip computer)

As for the auto locking, there was discussion on this somewhere... basically it is not "enabled" on aus models. Annoying as my old LW mk2 did it... and the LZ doesn't. Even my XL Ranger does it...

Mine is Sync 3, and have not had an issue with thus far.

Can't help on any of the other questions sorry
Licky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 09:57 AM   #3
Eisbaer
Starter Motor

Thanks mate Guess I'll get them to check the Sync 3 system when it's in for a service. Not an urgent issue, just slightly annoying.
Old 11-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #4
jase_elxr8

So i'm not sure if this will work as i currently have no car to test it on, but its worth a go. This may work for auto locking and is worth a shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shFyfkiD-aw
jase_elxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #5
KosCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licky View Post
As for the auto locking, there was discussion on this somewhere... basically it is not "enabled" on aus models. Annoying as my old LW mk2 did it... and the LZ doesn't. Even my XL Ranger does it...
I have an LW Titanium but was not aware of any auto-locking on the vehicle. Do you know how this can be enabled - can't seem to find anything in the owners manual.
Thanks
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 02:16 PM   #6
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase_elxr8 View Post
So i'm not sure if this will work
It doesn't. The enabling/disabling horn chirp is not present after pressing Unlock button followed by the Lock button. In short, this feature is not enabled on the Focus LZ.
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2017, 05:47 PM   #7
Joel.
Lost Focus In The Sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo View Post
I have an LW Titanium but was not aware of any auto-locking on the vehicle. Do you know how this can be enabled - can't seem to find anything in the owners manual.
Thanks
Not meaning to hijack, but I am curious as well. I didn't think you could on the LW?
Joel. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 11:05 AM   #8
jase_elxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatonaPC© View Post
It doesn't. The enabling/disabling horn chirp is not present after pressing Unlock button followed by the Lock button. In short, this feature is not enabled on the Focus LZ.
Ok, so it can be done still. It will need to be done via the dealer or via the focccus application with an ELM cable.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:51 PM   #9
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Ok, so it can be done still. It will need to be done via the dealer or via the focccus application with an ELM cable.
When I asked my dealer's service department about it, they asked Ford and the answer they got was that auto lock was not implemented. You are the second person in a forum to state that it can be done and the second to not state they've actually done it. Saying is one thing but doing is another.

If you can provide evidence that it can be done in a Focus LZ, then I (and others) will have some hard core info to take to our respective dealers and get them to implement it. A lot of people are asking about this and it would be beneficial if we had some evidence that it can actually be implemented,

Last edited by CatonaPC©; 12-01-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:40 PM   #10
Eisbaer
Starter Motor

Could it be done with ELMconfig?
http://www.jamessimpson.co.uk/elmcon...ecu-functions/
Old 12-01-2017, 11:26 PM   #11
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisbaer View Post
The article was published in 2013. A long time before the LZ came out. I agree that it's just a matter of updating software, but without knowing if it has been attempted on an LZ with success, then there's nothing to take to a Ford service centre that could provide evidence that auto-locking can really be enabled, as opposed to them just saying it can't be enabled.
Old 13-01-2017, 03:06 PM   #12
jase_elxr8

ELMconfig was for MK2 focus. You need focccus for the MK3's

http://www.jamessimpson.co.uk/focccu...g-edit-elm327/
Old 03-02-2017, 07:29 AM   #13
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What tyre pressures do people run on the LZ trends fitted with 205/60/16 owners manual says 2.1 or 30 psi for 205/55/16.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #14
CatonaPC©

I run 36 up front. 34 for the back. When it comes to tyres, I never go with manufacturers suggestions. I've been pumping my tyres up hard for years and never had any issues.

30psi for any modern tyre for a car is far too low. Absolute minimum is 32. Less rolling resistance means fuel savings. Also makes tyres less susceptible to punctures.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:27 PM   #15
4cyl_Turbo

35psi all round.
Got it back from servicing the other day with 31 all round, handled like a dog.
2018 Ford Focus SA Titanium - white (current)
4cyl_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2017, 08:37 PM   #16
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

35psi but yours is a titanium bigger wheels/tyres.
Might try 32 don't want a hard ride.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2017, 08:27 AM   #17
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
35psi but yours is a titanium bigger wheels/tyres.
Might try 32 don't want a hard ride.
I have a Trend. The ride is not affected noticeably. You need to allow for some leeway too. If you run 32, and you don't check your tyre pressures regularly, you could end up with 28psi before you know it.

And while on the topic, use a tyre pressure gauge, not the one at the servo. (I have my own tyre pump and check and pump tyres at home. It's not a rush job; needs to be done with care and when tyres are cold.)
Old 11-05-2017, 04:54 PM   #18
asdetail
Starter Motor

Unhappy Re: 2016 Focus LZ questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licky View Post
Fuel economy seems a bit weak. I've been getting roughly 6.5L/100KM in mine (calculated not according to the trip computer)

Mine is Sync 3, and have not had an issue with thus far.

Can't help on any of the other questions sorry
i have "auto locking at speed" enabled on my lz sport,you will need foccus software, elm327 adaptor with the switch modifcation( you can buy these on ebay), and a laptop,instructions on how to do this...
http://www.jamessimpson.co.uk/elmcon...ecu-functions/
the option is available on the lz for some unknown reason ford disabled it in the bcm
asdetail is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #19
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I enabled auto door locking on my LW, very easy and 100% possible.
Needed to just reprogram the BCM using FoCCCus.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #20
KosCo

I have a LZ with keyless entry - just touch the door handle to unlock the car. However, I have just noticed that I can't open the back doors this way only the front doors. I also have an LW also with keyless entry but on this vehicle you can access the car from any door - front or rear doors.
Can anyone with a LZ confirm this is the case on the LZ - keyless entry only works on the front doors.
Thanks
Old 14-05-2017, 03:29 PM   #21
jase_elxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo View Post
I have a LZ with keyless entry - just touch the door handle to unlock the car. However, I have just noticed that I can't open the back doors this way only the front doors. I also have an LW also with keyless entry but on this vehicle you can access the car from any door - front or rear doors.
Can anyone with a LZ confirm this is the case on the LZ - keyless entry only works on the front doors.
Thanks
I can unlock mine from the front or rear doors.
Old 14-05-2017, 04:06 PM   #22
KosCo

Quote:
I can unlock mine from the front or rear doors.
Thanks - I have played around with this and one of the rear doors is now working. The other one refuses to open. So will put it down for something to be fixed on the next service.