Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 21-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Unhappy Diesel Leak

Anyone else with a TDCi have an issue with diesel leaking out onto the ground if you try and fill the tank? Since new, I have never been able to fill the car up without at least a little spilling out. I've seen reports of this on the UK forums so I know mine is not an isolated issue but can't seem to get a straight answer as to the cause. It also doesn't appear to affect all cars. I've had the dealer check it 3 times and instruct me on the correct filling method which I find ridiculous (never had a car that needed a special fuel filling method to avoid it spilling out) but now it's just annoying. I don't fill it up to avoid the issue. It's obviously related to the capless refueling system and appears to be an overflow and not a leak as such but every time I try and fill it? I've tried everything but it seems ridiculous that I need to put up with it. Out of warranty early next year so I'm getting onto Ford CRC about this (should be fun after my last experience) but interested to know if anyone here has the same issue (and any possible solutions).

Old 21-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
obione980

I always grab some paper towelling and hold it under the nozzle as I remove it from the car - usually that's sufficient to catch the small dribble which comes from the nozzle.

I have not had the 'overflow' problem.

I also never pull the pump trigger to 'top up' the tank. When it stops automatically I remove it.
obione980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2010, 07:09 PM   #3
Bare.Foot

Yep, everytime. I only fill to one click even though the dealer said to go to two, and it goes out the overflow right in front of the rear tyre.
Bare.Foot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
cammag

Mine is a petrol, same tank and filler neck.

It started to get worse and worse to fuel up. The bowser would keep clicking off, it wouldn't take fuel easily. Then over a week it got to the point where I could only get a 1/4 of a tank in at the most.

I went to the dealer, and like you said they expalined how to fuel it up (Really?). I persisted and they actually had a look at it. There was a fault in the capless system and the parts were in OZ.

But it has always dropped fuel in front of the tyre. I supose it is better than running down the side of the car.

Last edited by cammag; 23-10-2010 at 08:29 PM. Reason: spelling
cammag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2010, 04:28 AM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've never had a problem with fuel leaking, but last year had trouble getting the pump nozzle into the filler. The dealer removed and cleaned the capless system and it's OK now.
Old 27-10-2010, 11:49 AM   #6
scribbly

The diesel leak is especially bad on warm days when the stuff is less viscous. I figure that the little drain just under the filler hole is the reason and probably the paper at the end of a fill up is the trick to stopping it. I never go past the first auto stop unless I have been filling up using the stupid filler siphon or it's plainly obvious the tank is not filling up.
When I have (gone past the first stop)the ground is covered with diesel by the time I get back from paying for the fill up.

MA Mondeo
SZ Territory Titanium - >400,000 km
VF SSV Redline
BiTurbo Ranger XLT
scribbly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi all,

I have never had a problem with diesel leaking out after a fill, but I have had trouble getting the fuel in without the trigger nozzle cutting the fuel flow.

I think I have a handle on it now, which is to insert the nozzle until it hits the end of the "horizontal' portion of the fill tube and then extract it by a couple of centimetres (For us old fogies an "inch" ). I can usually then get a full rate flow from a slow rate nozzle without problems.

If you do not do the extraction bit the end of the nozzle is so close to the back face of the vertical part of the fill tube the filling system gets enough splash back to shut off the fuel flow.

I think the paper towel is the only answer to the dripping nozzle on removal.

To the OP I'm wondering if you might have some damage to the fill tube lower down causing a decrease in its CSA and thus at higher flow rates the tube fills up and causes normal cut off? Also to the OP, clearly you haven't ever had to fill a HQ/HR Holden wagon, that was an experiential learning activity (as well as having to plan the fuel stop visit for available time - a full fill on that car was a 5+ minute exercise) Come to think about it the Mondeo and HQ fill tube systems are very similar - short horizontal pipe connected to a vertical pipe dropping into the tank.

Is the lesson "don't copy anything produced by GM"

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

Last edited by AlanD; 27-10-2010 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Extra information
AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #8
Dusty1
Giddy up!

I've had the leak and the spill is worse when using the tube thing for the high flow pumps. I try to avoid these, as it is too problematic for me, stopping all the time.

Mine used to click off off the time when filling, and in Europe there is a picture of how to insert the nozzle on the inside of the filler door. One of the guys on the Euro site took a photo of it for me, and you basically just put it in until it can go no further and make sure it's sitting there and start pumping. Since I've done this, I haven't had an issue with the pump cutting out.

I don't tend to go much past the second click, as the leak on my garage floor and the complaining from the better half was too much to take.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #9
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

The pump nozzle needs to be inserted and left attached by its own weight whilst filling (don't angle the handle skyward). Then once finished, you need to let the pump sit there for at least 10 seconds before removing it. These are the filling instructions that have been explained to me. Capless refuelling = make something simple more difficult and then don't step in the puddle of diesel.

Aside from this I'm pretty happy with it though.......
Old 28-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
obione980

Yeah!

It's a Mondeo - not a Commodore (Thank God!). Read the instructions - and use a paper towel to collect the dribble (Don't we all!!)
obione980 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 10:08 PM   #11
shmicko
Starter Motor

Hi, yeah I have the same problem with my 2007 MA TDCI. I recently came across the reports in the UK forum and am going to try the 10 second rule.
i'd already had it back to the dealer - they supposedly fixed it, but the problem persists (I don't know if they've seen other Mondeos here in Canberra with the same problem though). I want to try the filling method a few times before I go back to them - seems less than ideal that the problem exists, and possibly not completely fixable (judging from some of the UK forum posts)

cheers
shmicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #12
Batman105E

Hello,

We have experienced the same issue with our Titanium Hatch, our dealer were very helpful. We have had the car since October, travelled about 9400k and filled up about a dozen times with it leaking on all but two or three occasions.

The workshop foreman after hearing our concern then filled up three other cars and had the same thing happen on the different cars (using the Ford recommended method from their service bulletin)! He ordered a new filler neck assembly to fit to our car to see if it helped. Had it fitted and then it leaked again.

I then went in to the workshop they removed the inner guard and half filled the car in front of me and it didn't leak. I then went to our local servo and filled the car to the top and it didn't leak.

We have been told to continue to monitor the issue and if it occurs again they will get onto Ford and explain that the issue is still occuring even though the correct fill method is being used.

A little frustrating and is the only issue with an otherwise very good car.

Steve.
Batman105E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post