Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with your DSG Auto, Focus or Fiesta?
Had a problem now its fixed by the dealer 11 15.71%
More than 1 promblem with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
More than 2 promblems with still ongoing issues 11 15.71%
3 or more problems with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
Never had any issues with my DSG Auto 22 31.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #211
Nesbit
Starter Motor

Default Re: 2011 Ford Focus Sport, Transmission Shudders :(

I called Ford and just queried about the warranty letter. It was interesting to hear that the customer service rep was under the assumption that it was going to be a full recall not a warranty extension.

I have had a clutch replaced and multiple software updates... still get the clunking and grinding changing gears time to take it back or consider selling while i can still get a decent trade in on it.
Nesbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #212
alokin123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imolator View Post
If its the same as in the USA, it only applies to Focuses running the original seals. 2014 focuses using the newly designed seals don't get the extra warranty extension. So it would appear that the extended transmission warranty is selective.
I had mine replaced a few months ago so i guess i am not covered? Car is 2012 model
alokin123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2014, 04:02 PM   #213
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokin123 View Post
I had mine replaced a few months ago so i guess i am not covered? Car is 2012 model
Ring them to clarify, we had new clutch in a 2012 and received a letter.
Relationship Centre Phone: 13 FORD (13 3673)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imolator View Post
If its the same as in the USA, it only applies to Focuses running the original seals. 2014 focuses using the newly designed seals don't get the extra warranty extension. So it would appear that the extended transmission warranty is selective.
Ours never had a seal problem, only those I had explained in earlier posts.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #214
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well my focus has gone in to ford today to get the seals changed, fingers crossed.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2014, 07:12 PM   #215
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford just phoned me, clutch pack isn't up to spec pressure wise so new clutch pack getting put in tommorow.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-09-2014, 11:11 PM   #216
xr8svo
Sykmat

Angry Re: 2011 Ford Focus Sport, Transmission Shudders :(

OMG same here! This is my hubbies login but I'm so annoyed I had to vent!!
Bought focus on 31/7 returned the next week on 7/8 with shudder. Said that a computer reset should fix it.
Drove for a day and it returned.
About 10 days later I get a letter from ford stating the issue.
Return the car to ford today for ANOTHER COMPUTER REBOOT.
Nothing wrong apparently.
Also I have a slipping first gear - 4 times now in 10 days go to take off no first gear pick up.
Gave it to the service guy today and I must say - the worst customer experience I've had in a long time.
They will not replace or investigate my problem - I have to ring ford head office?? For what?????

So angry today.
xr8svo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2014, 11:52 PM   #217
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8svo View Post
OMG same here! This is my hubbies login but I'm so annoyed I had to vent!!
Bought focus on 31/7 returned the next week on 7/8 with shudder. Said that a computer reset should fix it.
Drove for a day and it returned.
About 10 days later I get a letter from ford stating the issue.
Return the car to ford today for ANOTHER COMPUTER REBOOT.
Nothing wrong apparently.
Also I have a slipping first gear - 4 times now in 10 days go to take off no first gear pick up.
Gave it to the service guy today and I must say - the worst customer experience I've had in a long time.
They will not replace or investigate my problem - I have to ring ford head office?? For what?????

So angry today.
Keep calm and level headed. Yes, it's VERY frustrating. Trust me, I know.

Do all you can to have the issue resolved PROMPTLY. Don't let things drag on. Document every phone call and email in detail.

By all means, call Ford CRC if you are not satisfied with the response from the service department. While your car is under warranty you have a little more leverage to get things done.

I had an 2010 Focus - great car, great economy, great performance etc. The Powershift tranny and the way Ford dealt with it is what ruined the experience.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2014, 12:06 AM   #218
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:

If your not getting the right outcome call Ford Relationship Centre Phone: 13 FORD (13 3673).
The dealers are the meat in the middle, Ford wont pay them if your car is inside there so called ''Ford tolerance levels''.
I was given a case number and someone who would keep in touch whilst the process was going on and in the end our clutch was replaced.

What you will keep hearing is the DSG's characteristics are like that, they try and convince people this is the way Ford's DSG auto was meant to be ...

Old 17-09-2014, 01:21 PM   #219
xr8svo
Sykmat

Spoolman that is exactly what they said - within tolerance levels...........I was quite angry yesterday. All I can think of is if I take off at lights, roundabout or a hill I'm going to have an accident!
And even after the reboot yesterday - it's doing it again this morning..

My rant at the Ford guy was more about his attitude - his lack of customer service. He was very "We rebooted it - that is all we can do" with eyes raised and a very expressionless look on his face. I expected I suppose something like "I can understand why you are concerned, let me escalate this for you tomorrow with our Head Office"..........

I understand cars, I know my car has the problem - I brought it to them before I got the service letter!

I am going to call Ford this afternoon........see what happens I guess.

Although when I got my SMS - how was your service message this morning I said very poor. Then a lady called from customer service so I wasn't able to take the call.

I suppose I will take both avenues and see what is happening.

I have a 2008 Focus manual sedan and it's a great car. This one is a mid 2013 hatch and I'm not liking my experience much. Just can't wait for the Mustang........

Thanks for the support!

(Mrs xr8svo)
xr8svo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2014, 12:43 AM   #220
SpoolMan

Quote:
Spoolman that is exactly what they said - within tolerance levels...........I was quite angry yesterday. All I can think of is if I take off at lights, roundabout or a hill I'm going to have an accident!
And even after the reboot yesterday - it's doing it again this morning..

My rant at the Ford guy was more about his attitude - his lack of customer service. He was very "We rebooted it - that is all we can do" with eyes raised and a very expressionless look on his face. I expected I suppose something like "I can understand why you are concerned, let me escalate this for you tomorrow with our Head Office"..........

I understand cars, I know my car has the problem - I brought it to them before I got the service letter!

I am going to call Ford this afternoon........see what happens I guess.

Although when I got my SMS - how was your service message this morning I said very poor. Then a lady called from customer service so I wasn't able to take the call.

I suppose I will take both avenues and see what is happening.

I have a 2008 Focus manual sedan and it's a great car. This one is a mid 2013 hatch and I'm not liking my experience much. Just can't wait for the Mustang........

Thanks for the support!

(Mrs xr8svo)
Yes, once the issue starts worrying you and you lose confidence in the car your driving it's a real problem, this is why we had to take the hit/loss and move on......
We have 2 Focus with 2008/09 builds in our family, very durable cars and the auto's work a treat, after driving these you release how bad the DSG really is.

2 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #221
ph0rc3
Starter Motor

I have a Ford Focus Titanium 2013 and have mentioned the shuddering to the service centre a number of times since I bought the car. As per most above, the service centre stated that's standard behaviour for the gear box.

I just had my 30k service, mentioned my letter from Ford. They found a 'fault', although I can't remember the exact details (apologies). I believe they replaced the gearbox seals, and clutch pads (and another unrelated oil leak). It had made a world of difference, the gear changes are so smooth I almost can't feel them...

If you're not getting results, keep at them...

Here are the items from the service report listed under warranty. Might help somebody more knowledgeable...

FOAEBZ7C52C SE ASY TRANS EXT
FOAE8Z7C64A SNAP RING
FOAE8Z7C48B SEAL ASY TRANS
FOW705448S441 NUT
F097AG3N324AC RETAINER FRT
FOW520102S442 NUT - LOCKING
FOW707209S442 SEAL
FOW520415S442 BOLT
F07U7JM2C200BA NUT
FOBV6Z7B546D CLUTCH ASSEMBLY
FOIS7CE379A0 BOLT FLYWHEEL
FOW500212S437 SCREW
Old 21-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #222
jandj

My wife has an 09 TDCI focus with the auto, we had problems with the auto about 2yrs ago. when in first gear going to second it would free rev. Kind of like an old auto gearbox that just died, took it to our ford dealer they said it was a sensor a replaced it.
As for the gearbox shudder we haven't had that problem, only other problems was, front left wheel hub needed to be replaced after 10k and the air con wasn't working properly. Now the front L/H headlight has to be replaced because the low beam light connection has melted for some reason I don't know.
The focus now has 105k and goes good, after a bad experience with one ford dealership ( this was when the car was new) we final have a dealership that we are happy and confident in.
jandj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2014, 10:56 PM   #223
old_mate
Smash the Boost

The diesels wont have the same issues because they have a wet clutch.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2014, 06:00 AM   #224
jandj

Interesting, thanks mate.
jandj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #225
bugmesome
Banned

A bit of new info for people with the dry-clutch PowerShift shudder problem as described in this thread.

2011+ Ford Focus & Fiesta Powershift Clutch Shudder FIX To Try At Home: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msA0p87O2y4

Watch that video, in summary it boils down to:
  1. Make sure Ford has serviced your car as much as they are willing to, i.e. clutch is "dry" (i.e. cleaned and no leaks) and reflashed the transmission software to the latest version
  2. Drive your car normally for a while to get engine and transmission warmed up
  3. Find a quiet safe country road
  4. Do a "clutch scrub": sprint hard from 0-100km/h, make sure at least gears 1-4 get engaged
  5. Slow down gradually
  6. Repeat 3-5 times
Also a few interesting tidbits from that video:
  • There was a new version of the transmission software in August 2014 (no idea if US only or applies to Aus too), ask your dealer...
  • There's a new "F" revision of the clutch hardware which is better than the current "D" revision (again, no idea if US only or applies to Aus too)
bugmesome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2014, 11:49 PM   #226
C0ncrete

Do we know if the new F type tramissions are in Australia yet?

Mine is booked in for Friday, would like the new one if possible.
C0ncrete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2014, 11:19 PM   #227
Gregoryg
Starter Motor

Hi All,
I have a 2014 focus sport and it has a shutter only on take off and is really ignoring when in traffic when moving very slowly. have taken it back to ford and all they did was a reboot and a relearn as they told me, and said that it was normal for this transmission. going to take it back to them again as it is still doing it, have watch the video and will give that a go tomorrow to see if that works, but I don't think I should be racing what is a new car around every time it starts to shutter.

Does anyone have a 2014 focus sport that does this as well or is it just mine
Gregoryg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2014, 12:43 AM   #228
bugmesome
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregoryg View Post
I have a 2014 focus sport and it has a shutter only on take off and is really ignoring when in traffic when moving very slowly. have taken it back to ford and all they did was a reboot and a relearn as they told me, and said that it was normal for this transmission. going to take it back to them again as it is still doing it, have watch the video and will give that a go tomorrow to see if that works, but I don't think I should be racing what is a new car around every time it starts to shutter.
If you're still in your engine break-in period, don't do the clutch scrubbing... just follow the regular break-in procedure (don't tow, don't sit on the same freeway speed, etc.).

Also note that after Ford does the reflash, the transmission has to re-adapt to your driving style (he also talks about that on the video). Opinions vary on how long this takes, could be ~2000km?
bugmesome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2014, 01:03 AM   #229
Gregoryg
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmesome View Post
If you're still in your engine break-in period, don't do the clutch scrubbing... just follow the regular break-in procedure (don't tow, don't sit on the same freeway speed, etc.).

Also note that after Ford does the reflash, the transmission has to re-adapt to your driving style (he also talks about that on the video). Opinions vary on how long this takes, could be ~2000km?
The car has done a little over 8000ks now
Gregoryg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 08:37 PM   #230
C0ncrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rc3 View Post
I have a Ford Focus Titanium 2013 and have mentioned the shuddering to the service centre a number of times since I bought the car. As per most above, the service centre stated that's standard behaviour for the gear box.

I just had my 30k service, mentioned my letter from Ford. They found a 'fault', although I can't remember the exact details (apologies). I believe they replaced the gearbox seals, and clutch pads (and another unrelated oil leak). It had made a world of difference, the gear changes are so smooth I almost can't feel them...

If you're not getting results, keep at them...

Here are the items from the service report listed under warranty. Might help somebody more knowledgeable...

FOAEBZ7C52C SE ASY TRANS EXT
FOAE8Z7C64A SNAP RING
FOAE8Z7C48B SEAL ASY TRANS
FOW705448S441 NUT
F097AG3N324AC RETAINER FRT
FOW520102S442 NUT - LOCKING
FOW707209S442 SEAL
FOW520415S442 BOLT
F07U7JM2C200BA NUT
FOIS7CE379A0 BOLT FLYWHEEL
FOW500212S437 SCREW

I have just had mine replaced, they said the seals were fine but the clutch was replaced. It was only replaced again in Jan this year. 2 in one 1 year!

The parts I got were

FOEV6Z7052A Kit Gasket Items

"Carried out TST 14/14 found clutch to shudder, no oil leaks, shudder above 250rpm. r/r seals and clutch. carried out relearns rechecked all ok"

Anyone know what r/r seals means?

At any rate it is actually a pleasure to drive now?????

It was however great to drive when the clutch was replaced earlier in the year, then it all turned to **** again.

Hopefully its not the seals and they were not replaced with the latest part :(

At least I know whats inside at the moment.
C0ncrete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #231
Binny

Remove and Replace or Remove and Refit.
Something like that.
Binny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2014, 12:54 PM   #232
kelvinyhm
Starter Motor

Update after Feb 2014.

Transmission started playing up since 1 month ago and as of last whole week it was shuddering so freaking bad as if it was back to before it got fixed in Feb.

Booked in later this week to have them look at. Mrs and I pretty much decided to sell or trade in for another car probably a used SUV after they fix this issue this time.

TBH, very disappointed with Focus transmission.

For you guys dunno what happened a short brief story:
- shudders and noises as usual
- back to workshop few times and everytime told that was the characteristic.
- finally one day foremen drove and he was shocked, decided to replace seal and blah blah
- it drives beautifully after that until last month.
kelvinyhm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #233
christianj

After having the clutch replacement earlier this year our shudder has come back, ford reckoned it's no within tolerance.

We needed a bigger car for kids sports gear so rather than having an argument we bought a second hand outback & traded the focus - shudder gone!!!

I have the kuga diesel - wet clutch dsg no problems - never will i buy a dry dsg clutch again...
Old 08-12-2014, 06:30 PM   #234
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 

Yeah using a dry clutch when the system is going to do so much intended slipping was never really a great idea.
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #235
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianj View Post
so rather than having an argument traded the focus - shudder gone!!!
Did the same, on Thursday our 3 month wait for a Nissan Qashqai Ti will be will be over, just in time the electrical gremlins are starting on our Focus..

Old 08-01-2015, 04:17 AM   #236
SpoolMan

After a blown out 4 month wait we finally have been relieved of our car with its sub standard transmission.

1st time we have purchased outside of the blue oval family for over 12 years, the Nissan experience on information with delivery and keeping us informed was woeful, they lost the car a day before it was due to go to the dealer.lol.
Ford dealers do a much better job in this department.

The new one is an awesome car to drive with very very smooth trans and feature packed with safety goodies and announced SUV of the year last month.
My nephew was so impressed with the way the Qashai drives he put a deposit down on one for his wife.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qash.jpg (123.1 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by SpoolMan; 08-01-2015 at 04:22 AM.
Old 17-01-2015, 09:10 PM   #237
AG3

I read that the facelifted Focus (LZ?), will be getting a 1.5L EcoBoost to replace the current model's naturally aspirated 2.0L engine.
In Europe the 1.5L EcoBoost is only available with a manual transmission, but in the Mondeo and Kuga with a 1.5L EcoBoost, it can be had with a torque converter automatic.
Does this mean the Asia-Pacific Focus 1.5 EcoBoost will get a torque converter automatic option?

I think the problematic dry clutch Powershift was not designed to handle the torque levels of the 1.5L EcoBoost engine.

Last edited by AG3; 17-01-2015 at 09:16 PM.
AG3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2015, 01:45 AM   #238
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
After a blown out 4 month wait we finally have been relieved of our car with its sub standard transmission.

1st time we have purchased outside of the blue oval family for over 12 years, the Nissan experience on information with delivery and keeping us informed was woeful, they lost the car a day before it was due to go to the dealer.lol.
Ford dealers do a much better job in this department.

The new one is an awesome car to drive with very very smooth trans and feature packed with safety goodies and announced SUV of the year last month.
My nephew was so impressed with the way the Qashai drives he put a deposit down on one for his wife.
looks pretty good Spooly, it looks the business ..... enjoy your new limo .
had a bit of a looksy to find a clip on one , found this on the tube ............
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTy5ZgxQdyI
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2015, 07:35 AM   #239
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

found an interesting video on fiesta/focus clutch shudder repair, the bloke takes you from the clutch assembly sitting on work shop and what is required to get it working right, does not show removal of the clutch assembly from the car , but still well worth a look at how complex this thing is(scary really ) and what is involved, about 34 minutes long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVJnNPbjjjs
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2015, 11:29 AM   #240
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG3 View Post

I think the problematic dry clutch Powershift was not designed to handle the torque levels of the 1.5L EcoBoost engine.
Fiesta owners have the same issues and there not making huge power, Powershift it needs a major rethink or go back to using the wet auto as they still use in the diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
looks pretty good Spooly, it looks the business ..... enjoy your new limo .
had a bit of a looksy to find a clip on one , found this on the tube ............
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTy5ZgxQdyI
He missed plenty features, it is like driving a limo after driving my Falcon Ute.
My wife loves it.