Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 31-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
bru20vt

Default Towbar - Experience and/or pics

Got a quote today from Ford to fit the towpack - $448 includes towball, towbar and wiring. Never seen a Fiesta with a towpack. Only need it to carry 3 bikes around. No intention of towing a trailer so should be up to the task.

Please post pics or experience. thanks. dom

bru20vt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
Fi.ES.TA

No,NO towbar dont do it lol.
Fi.ES.TA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no expert on the matter but ex wife worked for a towbar company. Dealers generally charge about $100 to much for their bars. ( eg heavy duty 2300kg for my efxr6 was $278. Be careful what bar you put on to carry bikes. because the weight of the bikes push down on the bar they are considerd a ball weight not a towing capacity, therefore, if the towing capacity for your fiesta bar is say 400kg, you may only have a 40kg ball weight max. ( figures are hypothetical!!!) research first.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
JayD

We've got a towbar fitted to our WQ 5 Door Zetec, and it tows ok. We towed a 7x5 trailer from Victoria to Brisbane, loaded up with stuff, and two adults and two kids in the car and it towed without any probs.
I did have a few dramas with the actual fitting job, but that was the sub standard contractor who did the job (contacted to Melton Ford in Vic). They decided that the best way to fit the wiring plug was self tappers straight into the rear bar, and the bar had obviously been resting on rough concrete while they fitted the bar, as it was covered in scratches....I made them remove the plug and fix the holes and scratches. I also had a few dramas because the two bolts that attach the gooseneck to the actual bar came loose, whilst towing!! the day after fitment, but since then have had no problems. I have never overloaded the towbar, and the car has always sat fairly level when towing. I think the max ball weight is around 50kg, and I always get the trailer on the bathroom scales to double check.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

What model Fez have you got?
I've got a Thule rack for my WQ, that clips onto the hatch. Solid as, carries 3 bikes up to 45kg. No straps to come loose either.
If you dig back a few years, you should find some pics.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:57 PM   #6
bru20vt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwijohn42
What model Fez have you got?
I've got a Thule rack for my WQ, that clips onto the hatch. Solid as, carries 3 bikes up to 45kg. No straps to come loose either.
If you dig back a few years, you should find some pics.
I have a 2006 WQ 3door. Do you have the thule freeway 968?.

There is also a thule 9103 that holds 3 bikes but the thule website says it is for 4 door Fiesta's 2004 onwards. Didnt think the rear was any different in the 3 and 4 door versions.
dom
bru20vt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I've got the 9103, it fits fine.
The bottom hooks are wound out to the max & it does put a bit of pressure on my rear spoiler.