Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 11-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #1
johnny_blacks
Starter Motor

Default scary electronic troubles

hey guys, been having a bit of a problem with my 2004 ford fiesta lx the last few weeks. what happens is ill be driving bout 80-100 kms then the speedo drops to zero though the revs stay normal and the car still runs fine. then after that happens the whole car just dies. once i turn it back on its fine then after another 20 kms it happens again. now today it died then when i turned it back on the check engine light turned on, i checked fuses etc and all good. im not electronically minded so just want to know if this has happened to anyone else or if anyone knows what it could be. im thinking altenator though its just a stab in the dark! any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! John

johnny_blacks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
fasty73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: scary electronic troubles

Not alternator. I would be getting it checked by a mechanic with a scan tool.
fasty73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2011, 11:00 PM   #3
bms

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_blacks
hey guys, been having a bit of a problem with my 2004 ford fiesta lx the last few weeks. what happens is ill be driving bout 80-100 kms then the speedo drops to zero though the revs stay normal and the car still runs fine. then after that happens the whole car just dies. once i turn it back on its fine then after another 20 kms it happens again. now today it died then when i turned it back on the check engine light turned on, i checked fuses etc and all good. im not electronically minded so just want to know if this has happened to anyone else or if anyone knows what it could be. im thinking altenator though its just a stab in the dark! any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! John
Mate it's a bit of a known prob and has an easy fix, you need a new speed
sensor is my guess as the exact thing happened with ours.
bms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
johnny_blacks
Starter Motor

okay thanks heaps for your input i really appreciate it! and what about the random dying? did you have that trouble too?
Old 13-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #5
warmwindsor

speed sensor or bad conection corosion in plug
warmwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #6
johnny_blacks
Starter Motor

in plug as in?
Old 26-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
johnny_blacks
Starter Motor

have just dropped off the car to get the speed sensor replaced. will keep you up to date to see if this was the fix of my problem. thankyou