Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-10-2018, 10:35 AM   #121
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Does Anyone Here Fly Drones??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
Drone back together, but not tested apart from a static tether to Betaflight.

Found a seller of a Runcam3 on eBay, snaffled that for $75 and that will do for the flight recording.

Relocated the 'I am lost' buzzer I mounted on the action cam platform to underneath the platform on the bottom plate...the fun never ends
I think I need one of those 'I am lost' buzzers. I lost my drone in the canola fields surrounding my house last week. Took many many many hours to find it.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-10-2018, 11:52 PM   #122
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

My eBay new old Runcam3 came today.

The thing is brand-spanking new, never used and still had the plastic protective cover on both ends. Not only that it came in its original box, with the original cable, plus two replacement Gorilla Glass lens covers, plus two TPU sleeve mounts, plus a unopened bag of Velcro straps

AND as a last bonus the previous owner had left a 32Gb microSD card in it

The only thing it didn't have was the manual...but that's online anyway.

Last edited by Ratmick; 17-10-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Ratmick is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2018, 11:10 AM   #123
creative
I am Batman

lol... good score there fella. Install the runcam app on your phone to set it up.

just ask if you need to open it up, i am very familiar with taking them apart.
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

Now producing 369.7rwkw/496rwhp@6000 and 515ft/lb torque @ 11 psi.
Now sat on an engine stand going nowhere
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2018, 12:15 AM   #124
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Had my drone up for its maiden 'flight' on the weekend, which mainly consisted of me taking off and hitting something shortly afterwards.

Reckon I found every tree in the garden, at least once, and nearly the fence and myself.

Embedded the thing in a gorse bush at one point.

The physics on the simulator don't have an accurate representation of gravity, you throttle off on FPV Freerider and the quad gently descends in a semi-floaty manner.

Throttle off in the real world and the quad drops like a stone.

Also found that one of my props was loose, that wouldn't have helped the handling any

...need a larger piece of land, no wind and some patience.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #125
creative
I am Batman

Haha... yep, we have all been there!

Heres my last video after a month of not flying... I was a bit rusty but didnt break to much here this time.

https://www.airvuz.com/video/Back-at...f44626d61e96ee
Rebuilt Boss260 with #Kellogs 1500hp forged and balanced crank#Manley forged flattop pistons with a 9.5/1cr#4340 forged h-beam rods with arp bolts#Clevit performance rod and main bearings#full ARP headstud kit#total seal rings#Mantic twin plate development clutch and lightened flywheel#Mellings uprated oil pump#Mainforce Performance Supercharger kit#AU motorsport 345mm big brake kit.

3 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #126
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
What's the law 're flying over people's houses?

I know if I ever spotted one above my property flak would be heading up.
Perfectly legal, commercial flights do it all the time.

But I guess there is always a hero.

But I am willing to bet my balls here by saying that you just want to sound tough and hardcore on the interwebs, and that absolutely nothing would happen if someone flew over your house.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2018, 12:19 PM   #127
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just picked up another drone, the GoPro Karma does not receive a lot of love in the drone community.

I already had a GoPro Hero 6, and picked the Karma up at a bargain price, for some 4K drone footage.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 24-11-2018, 12:20 PM   #128
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First flight with the Karma

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 24-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #129
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wauchope NSW on the 11/11/2018, was there for Remembrance Day Celebrations, so I thought I may as well get some drone footage.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 24-11-2018, 10:42 PM   #130
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post

But I am willing to bet my balls here by saying that you just want to sound tough and hardcore on the interwebs, and that absolutely nothing would happen if someone flew over your house.
Perhaps you shuld know the man and where he lives before making assumptions like that.
Old 25-11-2018, 12:32 AM   #131
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Perhaps you shuld know the man and where he lives before making assumptions like that.
I am still willing to bet.

What I do is not a crime, what he suggests doing is, so either way I win.

But my guess is nothing would happen anyway, plenty of people talk tough on the internet about what they would do in a situation, when push comes to shove 99.9% do nothing.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 25-11-2018, 11:03 AM   #132
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I have a bit of a passion for video making , just for me and sometimes for our school functions like Arts On Tour , Presentation Day , swim carnivals , athletics etc..I use two Panasonic 3 chip cameras and an older D series Panasonic camera for the odd thing ..

Bought a drone last Christmas /New Year while at Mitre 10 without really studying about them . Then had ideas to try and expand opportunities but I'm so pathetic with it yet . It's an Observer
Didn't come with any real instructions either .. I should have invested in a better one ..Cost me about $100 . At our local Car Show a local drone enthusiast with a proper drone outfit does this ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EAyeCX9MXo...
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2018, 05:09 PM   #133
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am still willing to bet.

What I do is not a crime, what he suggests doing is, so either way I win.

But my guess is nothing would happen anyway, plenty of people talk tough on the internet about what they would do in a situation, when push comes to shove 99.9% do nothing.
you are a creep that owns a drone

please dont fly over peoples houses

thankyou
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2018, 08:57 PM   #134
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
  • You must not fly your drone higher than 120 metres (400 ft) above the ground.
  • You must not fly your drone over or near an area affecting public safety or where emergency operations are underway (without prior approval). This could include situations such as a car crash, police operations, a fire and associated firefighting efforts, and search and rescue operations.
  • You must not fly your drone within 30 metres of people, unless the other person is part of controlling or navigating the drone.
  • You must fly only one drone at a time.
  • If your drone weighs more than 100 grams:
    • You must keep your drone at least 5.5km away from controlled aerodromes (usually those with a control tower)
    • You may fly within 5.5km of a non-controlled aerodrome or helicopter landing site (HLS) only if manned aircraft are not operating to or from the aerodrome. If you become aware of manned aircraft operating to or from the aerodrome/ HLS, you must manoeuvre away from the aircraft and land as soon as safely possible. This includes:
      • not operating your drone within the airfield boundary (*without approval)
      • not operating your drone in the approach and departure paths of the aerodrome (*without approval)
  • You must only fly during the day and keep your drone within visual line-of sight.
    • This means being able to orientate, navigate and see the aircraft with your own eyes at all times (rather than through a device; for example, through goggles or on a video screen).
  • You must not fly over or above people. This could include festivals, sporting ovals, populated beaches, parks, busy roads and footpaths.
  • You must not operate your drone in a way that creates a hazard to another aircraft, person, or property
  • You must not operate your drone in prohibited or restricted areas.
* Approval is generally linked to an approved model flying association and its members.

Please respect personal privacy. Don’t record or photograph people without their consent—this may breach state laws.
I may contravene the bit in bold but not the bits in red

Seriously that is from CASA and all anyone needs to prosecute your ***.

...but just on that, my drone is about 30cm square (and it is a X frame with a prop in each corner, hence square) and more than 15m away you can't tell the front from the back or left or right for that matter.

They are a right basket to fly LOS (line of sight) for that reason. I tried changing the colour of the props, it has red on the front and black on the back, but it makes no difference...it's too small and too fast. Some people put LEDs on the rear as a visual aid...same thing though, you have to process that visual cue in a time frame what you have available.

The way I see it if I am in a open public area and I can see the drone if my goggles fail I'd flip them off and power off and let the thing land, and go and retrieve it from wherever it is. I wouldn't fly it back to myself as if it's 300m away it's just a tiny black dot.

Visual line of sight is fine if you have a huge aircraft...never going to work with a small drone, and CASA must know that or be completely ignorant.

The only way of complying with that is to keep the drone within 25m of yourself...and like hell. Or employ a spotter.

Irritating people by intruding into their space (whatever that is to them) or looking through their windows, even if it's only suspected, is a good way of getting stuff banned.

FWIW anyone that takes a shot at a drone in a built-up area will go down harder than the person flying the drone.

I found an area behind the local pony club. It's on council land and they didn't deign to reply when I asked if there was anywhere specifically banned in the Shire apart from Hanging Rock...so I will fly there until told otherwise.

When my ADSL1 link uploads my video in 90+ minutes it will be here:

...as you can see, a bit different to flying above people's houses...at some points I can see individual grass blades, it's a hoot
3 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #135
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
I have a bit of a passion for video making , just for me and sometimes for our school functions like Arts On Tour , Presentation Day , swim carnivals , athletics etc..I use two Panasonic 3 chip cameras and an older D series Panasonic camera for the odd thing ..

Bought a drone last Christmas /New Year while at Mitre 10 without really studying about them . Then had ideas to try and expand opportunities but I'm so pathetic with it yet . It's an Observer
Didn't come with any real instructions either .. I should have invested in a better one ..Cost me about $100 . At our local Car Show a local drone enthusiast with a proper drone outfit does this ..

That's how I got started, I was shopping at Aldi and bought a $79 drone on impulse, played with it for a while then sold it on Buy Swap n Sell for $70, bought a DJI Spark, and now a GoPro Karma as well.

Sell your one and get a better one if you enjoy it. The more expensive ones are way easier to fly, and safer to fly for cinematic video making.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 25-11-2018, 09:56 PM   #136
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
you are a creep that owns a drone

please dont fly over peoples houses

thankyou
You are a creep that has an unhealthy obsession about what I do with my life.

Sad really that your own life is so empty and meaningless, that you are obsessed with what an old bloke in another state does in their spare time...

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 25-11-2018 at 10:26 PM.
Old 25-11-2018, 10:14 PM   #137
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I may contravene the bit in bold but not the bits in red

Seriously that is from CASA and all anyone needs to prosecute your ***.

...but just on that, my drone is about 30cm square (and it is a X frame with a prop in each corner, hence square) and more than 15m away you can't tell the front from the back or left or right for that matter.

They are a right basket to fly LOS (line of sight) for that reason. I tried changing the colour of the props, it has red on the front and black on the back, but it makes no difference...it's too small and too fast. Some people put LEDs on the rear as a visual aid...same thing though, you have to process that visual cue in a time frame what you have available.

The way I see it if I am in a open public area and I can see the drone if my goggles fail I'd flip them off and power off and let the thing land, and go and retrieve it from wherever it is. I wouldn't fly it back to myself as if it's 300m away it's just a tiny black dot.

Visual line of sight is fine if you have a huge aircraft...never going to work with a small drone, and CASA must know that or be completely ignorant.

The only way of complying with that is to keep the drone within 25m of yourself...and like hell. Or employ a spotter.

Irritating people by intruding into their space (whatever that is to them) or looking through their windows, even if it's only suspected, is a good way of getting stuff banned.

FWIW anyone that takes a shot at a drone in a built-up area will go down harder than the person flying the drone.

I found an area behind the local pony club. It's on council land and they didn't deign to reply when I asked if there was anywhere specifically banned in the Shire apart from Hanging Rock...so I will fly there until told otherwise.

When my ADSL1 link uploads my video in 90+ minutes it will be here:

...as you can see, a bit different to flying above people's houses...at some points I can see individual grass blades, it's a hoot
I agree somewhat, but for successful prosecution they must prove 'pilot'. which is almost impossible, they must somehow prove that you were the person controlling the drone in a court of law.

The rules are ambiguous at best, they must also prove that it was unsafe to do so, which again is almost impossible unless someone actually got injured, how can you prove in a Court of Law that something was unsafe if no injury or even near miss happened, good luck proving that, there is also no history of a myriad of people getting hurt or injured by random out of control drones, so what I do can easily be considered safe.

Flying a drone 30-100 meters over a town/village or suburbia is not looking into peoples windows, you can't even make out people, plus it is perfectly legal to film anything or anyone that is visible from a public place.

Re the the line of sight thing, my DJI Spark Drone is less than 15cm x 15cm, I fly it over my back yard and easily lose track of which way is forward, my GoPro Karma I can easily see at 100-150 meters, the great thing about both drones is once I have lost track of what is going on I just hit the return to home button and they come back to me. The Karma even has a return to home (launch location) or return to controller so if I have walked 100 meters while flying I can just have it return to me.

Works perfectly every time.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 25-11-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 25-11-2018, 10:18 PM   #138
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post

Great video I rally enjoyed it, but according to the drone rules it would be considered illegal flying, but prosecution is unlikely.

Here is the video embedded, great video making:

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 25-11-2018, 10:30 PM   #139
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Great video I rally enjoyed it, but according to the drone rules it would be considered illegal flying, but prosecution is unlikely.

Here is the video embedded, great video making:

People like this are ruining it for all of us, it's not hard to follow the rules. CASA are starting to clamp down and have been issuing massive fines in the last 3 months.

Ever seen the result of a quad copter spudding into someone? It's not pretty.

Follow the rules and stop ruining it for everyone else. The rules are only going to keep getting more harsh as time goes on with everyone doing what they want. Hard to even find scenic places where you can fly now
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2018, 12:33 AM   #140
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
When my ADSL1 link uploads my video in 4+ hours it will be here:

Screw ADSL 1
Old 26-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #141
creative
I am Batman

lol... the usual response from the AP field... Just because the return to home has work upto now... whats to say it will continue to. ( read up on why the Karma was discontinued as well, hell even your $2k inspire likes to return to china)

Quote:
You must not fly over or above people. This could include festivals, sporting ovals, populated beaches, parks, busy roads and footpaths.
You must not operate your drone in a way that creates a hazard to another aircraft, person, or property
You must not operate your drone in prohibited or restricted areas.
This above 100%

I cringe watching videos when flying over crowds because all it takes is 1 failure and its down.... but its ok, my rth hasnt failed me yet!

I am all for bending the rules a little when flying, I mean we have to to fly fpv etc and so long as its done in a safe way but this is why I wont fly over people full stop as I consider the risk to be too high.

And yes, Casa do follow up on videos, one of the main guys, Chad Nowak, has been in trouble with CASA over a video he posted which included flying over people )...

but the biggest issue is with how the media portrays the hobby and will use any excuse to bad mouth it ( plastic bag anyone!) which results in the mis-information that we are all indeed peeping toms with nothing better to do than spy on your wife... leading to just like PB's comment.

2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2018, 04:24 PM   #142
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Haha, roid rage?

I'm not the one posting videos on the internet of my home gym, bulging biceps and energy drinks.

See ya!

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #143
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
plus it is perfectly legal to film anything or anyone that is visible from a public place.
Almost, but not quite.

It's legal to photograph people IN a public place, I wouldn't consider that 50/100/200 metres above someones property to be 'a public place'

I'd be more likely to think that they were having a look to see what they could come back for later when the owner isn't home.
Old 26-11-2018, 06:56 PM   #144
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You are a creep that has an unhealthy obsession about what I do with my life.

Sad really that your own life is so empty and meaningless, that you are obsessed with what an old bloke in another state does in their spare time...
cool story bro

respect and consideration about the privacy of others is obviously low on your bucket list
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2018, 02:10 PM   #145
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Almost, but not quite.

It's legal to photograph people IN a public place, I wouldn't consider that 50/100/200 metres above someones property to be 'a public place'
Wrong again, you can photograph or videotape anything or anyone visible from a public place, they don't have to be in a public place. It's basic law.

Quote:
I'd be more likely to think that they were having a look to see what they could come back for later when the owner isn't home.
Ok so now people flying drones are not only perverts they are also thrives. Cool story, but your perception of the world around you and what other people may or may not do is not really relevant to the law though.

So what about the person walking part your house and looking over the fence? (also perfectly legal) is he looking to steal your stuff or is he simply admiring your rose garden? Should I be concerned about people driving past my house when they turn their head to look at my place.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 28-11-2018, 02:17 PM   #146
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
cool story bro

respect and consideration about the privacy of others is obviously low on your bucket list
Still concerning yourself about what may be on my bucket list? Wow Seriously creep get a life, stop being obsessed with other people you have never even met, it's not good for your mental health.

May be get a mental health assessment done and seek out some treatment to get fulfilment in your own life rather than obsessing about strangers on the internet.

You have been hanging on every word I post on the internet and following my posts around like a sad needy lost puppy for several years now, it's not healthy that you have had a perpetual need to follow me around for years now.

Take my advice and get some help, save me having to take out a restraining order against some mentally unstable creep with an unhealthy obsession for other men on the internet.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 28-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #147
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Haha, roid rage?

I'm not the one posting videos on the internet of my home gym, bulging biceps and energy drinks.

See ya!
I am not the one treating people with illegal acts of violence on the internet, that person would be you.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 28-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #148
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I wouldn't consider that 50/100/200 metres above someones property to be 'a public place'
Direct from the Australian Government Law Reforms commission:

18.37 The modern common law doctrine is expressed in the principle that the rights of a land owner in the air space above the land are limited ‘to such height as is necessary for the ordinary use and enjoyment of his land and the structures upon it’.[57]

This is the same reason that planes and helicopters can freely fly over your land and people in them are free to take photographs.

The distance would be covered by the 30 metre rule specifies by CASA I would say.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 28-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #149
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Wrong again, you can photograph or videotape anything or anyone visible from a public place, they don't have to be in a public place. It's basic law.
http://4020.net/words/photorights.php

Quote:
Ok so now people flying drones are not only perverts they are also thrives. Cool story, but your perception of the world around you and what other people may or may not do is not really relevant to the law though.

So what about the person walking part your house and looking over the fence? (also perfectly legal) is he looking to steal your stuff or is he simply admiring your rose garden? Should I be concerned about people driving past my house when they turn their head to look at my place.
Nice try. But I doubt that anyone keeps anything of value in their front yard! and other than my neighbours no one can see into my back yard.
If someone had a drone hovering over my (and my neighbours) back yards then yes I would suspect that they were looking to see what we had that they wanted.

What would your reaction be if a drone was to hang around the back of your property, checking out your kids, horses, cars etc?
Old 28-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #150
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
lol... the usual response from the AP field... Just because the return to home has work upto now... whats to say it will continue to. ( read up on why the Karma was discontinued as well, hell even your $2k inspire likes to return to china)

I cringe watching videos when flying over crowds because all it takes is 1 failure and its down.... but its ok, my rth hasnt failed me yet!
You are basing your comment of a few isolated incidents, are you as concerned about the brakes in your car failing or planes and helicopters falling out of the sky?? All of those are rare isolated events which have killed many more people than persons flying recreational drones.

Personally I do not fly over crowds but personally I can't see a problem with the above video that was posted up, it was well done and edited and captured some great shots, amateur film making at it's best IMO.

A lot of drone failures are operator error, ie not having your GPS calibrated or your home location set correctly.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave