Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Default Urgent - Perth members

Are there any perth members available tomorrow afternoon to have a look at an FG for me? Interested in a low k FG G6E Turbo but i’m in vic.

Car looks mint in pictures but just need it eyeballed to make sure its as good as it looks. Would be grateful for assistance.

Car is in south perth.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
slowsnake
Banned

Default Re: Urgent - Perth members

Hello,
I live in Perth but can't help,you need a guy with more than just a "good eye"
Possibly an owner with knowledge of that particular model and turbo's,,I know nothing whatever about turbo charged cars, have owned turbo diesels but not petrol.

Can you find a qualified Ford mechanic and get a rwc done, may cost you $150 but geez that's better than relying on what looks like a considerable purchase.

That's what I think, it needs more mechanic/computer person than my eyeballs.

Cheers Billy.

PS..put this post in FG forum, give you better chance!

Last edited by slowsnake; 20-07-2018 at 08:19 PM.
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #3
slowsnake
Banned

Hello,
Just looked up someone for you,here's website address.

http://www.stateroads.com.au/

Cheers Billy.
Old 20-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

All good. Found another option.

Any advice for buying a car interstate?

If it looks ok going to get it shipped over.
Old 20-07-2018, 09:31 PM   #5
slowsnake
Banned

Hello,
Well I bought my VW transporter in Melbourne and i lived in Sydney,I did not have or know how to use a computer but used my phone, got pics,did a revs check as it was unregistered had to use VIN, discussed price, booked flight and got to Melbourne at 2pm, he picked me up in van,took it for a drive,talked,he organised a travel permit, Melb, Sydney then on to Perth, no **** I drove o/note to Sydney,left next day for Perth,no number plates,not stopped by cops once, had to tape A4 travel doc to front windscreen that's all.

Because I was moving to Perth 2 months later I had it registered in WA.

But I think you are looking for a truck?..don't know anyone sorry, a mate he knows but he's in States buying Vettes!
Can't contact him,but he ships his cars to Adelaide and transported to Sydney, but he's imported over 90 Big Block Tri-powers since the early 80's, wish I could help.

To anyone driving an unregistered car from NSW to WA on a NSW permit be careful, the permit back then stopped at the SA/WA border, then you phone Transport Dept and get one from border to wherever in WA, you got 24 hrs, costs $30 bucks.

Cheers Billy.

Last edited by slowsnake; 20-07-2018 at 09:36 PM.
Old 21-07-2018, 04:04 AM   #6
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,
Should be several members on here from Perth, including myself, who can look at it if required.

Assuming it is a private sale, since you describe it's in South Perth.

I have seen this topic of interstate car purchase being discussed on AFF before.
It involves risk and inconvenience both for the seller and purchaser.
A seller would obviously prefer to sell to a buyer that offers the quickest payment and hassle free process. If seller has a choice of buyers it would be natural to prefer a local buyer, and find a buyer that is ready to go ahead with funds ready.

If the seller is willing to hold the car for you for 3-4 days, you could have someone look at it, then jump on the plane yourself the next day, have a final look at it yourself to confirm the pre-inspection matches your own expectations, hand over the cash and sign the registration transfer papers yourself. Then deliver it to a transport yard, fly home, and wait for it to arrive a few days later.

The difficulties and risks if you don't turn up yourself is in regards to handing over the payment, and making sure you get the car. You can't expect the seller to hand over keys and registration transfer papers to anyone until they have full payment.

The technical side of it to ensure the car has no mechanical problems could be to see proof of full service history or a recent inspection report. When I sold one of my cars recently I took it to Pedders for their $28 inspection of suspension and brakes, and showed that report to the potential buyers.

PS: When you are looking at WA car ads, the license plate number tells you how long since the car was inspected and licensed, for example 1AAAxxx is from approx. 2003, Now we are up to 1GNNxxx.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2018, 04:37 AM   #7
slowsnake
Banned

Hello,
Don't forget your REVS check.

Cheers Billy.
Old 21-07-2018, 06:41 AM   #8
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And did Pedders not find 100 things wrong with your car in their $28 check as they usually do?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #9
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ring up your local registry and double check everything. Once you have it don’t drive it unless it’s to an inspection station to sort new rego. I might be wrong but even if it has remaining WA rego your insurance will be void until it’s sorted - double check that.
If shipping I’d go CEVA logistics - get it put into an enclosed transport. I’ve used CEVA 4 times and they were great.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

did this August last year, had very helpful advice from a fellow member.........

purchased from reputable car yard
wouldn't accept any offer, frustrating but it did involve them with extra paperwork.
bank transfer of funds
freight was a PIA but we got there.

would I do it again?...........hmmm decisions decisions hopefully not.
Old 21-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #11
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Hi BossXR8, I'm available to assist and am not far from South Perth.
Let me know, am happy to help.
Cheers, Joe.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #12
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

im a little further from south perth but be happy to go look on a weekend for you

just an interesting thought as its a private sale
how would you know if one of us weren't the seller

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-07-2018, 12:59 PM   #13
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fly over and take your time driving back.

It's an epic road trip that everyone should do, at least once.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2018, 02:18 PM   #14
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Well turns out my dad has a friend who is a mechanic over in perth ,so he has kindly offered to go check the car out for me tonight. If it all checks out (as it should, it looks mint and has only done 75,000 kms) then I will do a VIN check first, then if that is all clear I will put a deposit on it. The car comes with a RWC (which won't be valid over here) but at least then I know it's roadworthy, so I suppose wait till that is done and then ask my dad's friend to deliver the car to the transport depot to have it shipped over here.

Not sure what is the best and safest way to arrange payment. Online transfer would probably be the way to go. But it's not instant. Might take 24 hours or more to clear.

What is the best way to go about it? Obviously I am transferring the money (probably take screen shots that show it has been sent) and then should I expect the owner to wait until he has recieved the payment before he hands over the keys? Or would screenshots of the transfer be enough for him to hand the keys over?

Or is there a better way. Obviously involves a bit of blind faith. I'm assuming he would want to hang on to the car till payment is made.
Old 23-07-2018, 04:16 PM   #15
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

I find it interesting that you say it has a rwc when we don't even do them in perth?
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-07-2018, 04:20 PM   #16
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

talk to you mechanic friend, get him to be the agent.
You put money into his account, he pays and collects the car and maybe even arranges delivery to freight depot and gets a service fee for his effort.
Old 23-07-2018, 05:33 PM   #17
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
talk to you mechanic friend, get him to be the agent.
You put money into his account, he pays and collects the car and maybe even arranges delivery to freight depot and gets a service fee for his effort.
Problem there is that the ATO may think that the car payment is part of the mechanics income.
Old 23-07-2018, 05:42 PM   #18
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

most people haVe private accounts, lot of businesses have other accounts to get around that situation. have you approache'd him?
Old 23-07-2018, 08:48 PM   #19
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are no RWC's in WA, and there is no requirement to have a car annually inspected.

So if he's offering you a RWC, it sounds dodgy.

I would only buy interstate from a reputable dealer, and have done so.
Most people are decent, but who knows.

The problem you've got, is that if the seller is sensible, he won't let go of the car until he has cleared funds in his account.

Also, there's nothing to be gained by asking your Dad's mate to get in middle of the transaction as some suggested. Doesn't eliminate the risk, just makes it awkward if things go wrong.

and TBH I'd be surprised if you can't find something equivalent, closer to home, with a bit of patience.

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 23-07-2018 at 09:14 PM.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2018, 09:35 PM   #20
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still I would recommend to fly over and see it for yourself, that way you will not be disappointed.

Anyway, If you chose to go ahead with it despite various recommendations that you should be there yourself, then remember you can do direct deposit into the owner's bank account by going to the same bank near you as he has. You could even put in the money just as the mechanic is at the seller's place. (subject to it being during business hours where your bank is). This way the money will be in sellers account instantly once you have deposited them at the bank branch.

Have you done a VIN report already? Remember there are thousands of cars which have been repairable write-offs. These days they are better inspected, and hopefully more professionally repaired, but should be significantly cheaper than a never repaired car.

Also have seller described to you the plate number? If it for example is 1GNX### then you know it has just been licenced.

Cheers,
Old 24-07-2018, 01:13 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TICKFORD220
I find it interesting that you say it has a rwc when we don't even do them in perth?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz
There are no RWC's in WA, and there is no requirement to have a car annually inspected.

The problem you've got, is that if the seller is sensible, he won't let go of the car until he has cleared funds in his account.

Also, there's nothing to be gained by asking your Dad's mate to get in middle of the transaction as some suggested. Doesn't eliminate the risk, just makes it awkward if things go wrong.

and TBH I'd be surprised if you can't find something equivalent, closer to home, with a bit of patience.
I was only going off the carsales ad that had yes to rwc. My dad's friend the mechanic has pointed out they don't have rwc over there. Was just an error with the ad. But he drove it and checked it all over and it's mint. Full service history and one owner who doesn't drive it much. Did a REV's check and title is clean so I put a deposit on it. Writing out reciepts and stuff now, then it will be on a truck back to Vic.

Trust me I have been looking for months and the cars are either too high km, poor condition or modified and thrashed.
Old 24-07-2018, 02:48 PM   #22
TICKFORD220
2009 Fg xr6 turbo

Glad the car is a good one.
TICKFORD220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2018, 03:01 PM   #23
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I was only going off the carsales ad that had yes to rwc. My dad's friend the mechanic has pointed out they don't have rwc over there. Was just an error with the ad. But he drove it and checked it all over and it's mint. Full service history and one owner who doesn't drive it much. Did a REV's check and title is clean so I put a deposit on it. Writing out reciepts and stuff now, then it will be on a truck back to Vic.

Trust me I have been looking for months and the cars are either too high km, poor condition or modified and thrashed.
I wouldn't put it on a truck mate.

Use CEVA, they have a covered option on the train.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2018, 06:07 PM   #24
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Cool, hope it works out for you.
Most people are decent and reasonable, but a transaction like this only works with a bit of trust on each side, and I reckon I would be less trusting than both you and the seller.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2018, 07:18 PM   #25
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
I wouldn't put it on a truck mate.

Use CEVA, they have a covered option on the train.
been there did that. Get CEVA to do it alll for you, cant remember the $$$ figure but safe, quality service.

Get your mate to take as many photos as possible of body, trim etc etc purely as a backup SHOULD any damage possibly happen. With photos you have proof.
Old 25-07-2018, 02:20 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Transport is booked through CEVA. Should leave Perth tomorrow.

Thanks all for the advice.

Car is a 2010 G6E Turbo 50th Anniversary in Edge. 74,000 km. Will post some pics when I get it, and maybe a build thread too.
6 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2018, 10:07 PM   #27
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post

Hello,
The RWC is to show the buyer it is roadworthy, its just a bit of paper in case the buyer isn't knowledgeable about cars.
I sold my VW Transporter with an RAC inspection and got me an extra 2 grand, instead of 8 grand offered I got 2 grand more for the RAC report, cost me $200 to make $2 grand!

Its just proof the car is roadworthy, more folk should do it!

Cheers Billy.
Old 25-07-2018, 10:12 PM   #28
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Transport is booked through CEVA. Should leave Perth tomorrow.

Thanks all for the advice.

Car is a 2010 G6E Turbo 50th Anniversary in Edge. 74,000 km. Will post some pics when I get it, and maybe a build thread too.
Hello,
Am happy you finally found what you have been looking for, its a hassle buying a car, any car, especially 2nd hand interstate,so you did well, good on ya cobbler!...lol..

Cheers Billy.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

G6e turbo 2 by damian hughes, on Flickr

G6e turbo by damian hughes, on Flickr

So it arrived yesterday. Drives beautifully. Needs a good clean though, few scuffs and minor scratches need to be polished out.

Starting a build thread.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:13 AM   #30
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi,
And you are still on WA plates. How long are you allowed to keep them? Both you and the seller should have posted the transfer papers by now. Have you been given a timeframe for when you need to present it for licensing in your home state?

Cheers,