Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 10-05-2008, 10:30 AM   #1
Katoomba

Default E10 in the Zetec

I noticed this morning that local Coles Express* servos have added another layer of sleaze to their petrol marketing: the illuminated discount price is the E10 less 4 cents. Sneaky.

Now E10: my local servo manager said there is no way he would put it in his car. He said if you could see the gunk in those bowser-line filters and on the underground tank dipsticks you'd run a mile before using it.

What do others here think?

Quote:
RACHEL CARBONELL, REPORTER: Coles Express petrol stations have been singled out by the ACCC's new petrol commissioner for leading price hikes in four capital cities.

PAT WALKER, ACCC PETROL COMMISSIONER: A significant number of Coles Express sites have actually been about 10 or 12 cents above the average price in each of those major capital cities.
http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/conte...7/s2239667.htm

Katoomba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

E10 contains ethanol, ethanol promotes corrosion.

Your car has metal components (fuel lines, engine etc etc).

All the petrol tanks at the refineries had to be internally coated to stop the ethanol corroding the tanks.

Also if the tanks were not cleaned 100% (which a lot service stations weren't due to cost) it reacts with left over fuel, the untreated tank and creates a sludge like substance & again corrosion.

Put this into your car? Personally no way.

If you only keep the car for a few years and upgrade, you might take the punt for the savings...
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
jared79
Sock Puppets

Hmmm, very interesting. Ethonol has other issue as well, like pushing the price of crops that are used in the prouction higher. So basically you save a little at the bowser and then pay more for your groceries. Plus ethonol fuel doesn't last as long. So to actually be a saving it was worked out that it needs to be 5c/L cheaper than normal fuel.

On the Zetec behind the petrol cap is a sticker that reads 'E10 Suitable' I have wondered about that. The Zetec must have the tank coated to prevent corrosion.

Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatch in Blue Ambition
jared79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 10:45 AM   #4
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

My XR5 says "E10 suitable", It will never get anywhere near it though.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
Katoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared79
...Ethonol has other issue as well, like pushing the price of crops that are used in the prouction higher. ..
And I've read reports recently that say the increasing conversion of food-growing land to ethanol crops is leading to a world food shortage and increasing the price of food.

I hope NSW govt doesn't go ahead with its plan to make E10 the only ULP standard fuel by 2010. If you want to buy non-ethanol ULP, you'll have to buy the higher octane ones.

Anyway, despite the E10 label, E10 will not put in my Mondeo.
Katoomba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2008, 07:13 PM   #6
jared79
Sock Puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katoomba
And I've read reports recently that say the increasing conversion of food-growing land to ethanol crops is leading to a world food shortage and increasing the price of food.

I hope NSW govt doesn't go ahead with its plan to make E10 the only ULP standard fuel by 2010. If you want to buy non-ethanol ULP, you'll have to buy the higher octane ones.

Anyway, despite the E10 label, E10 will not put in my Mondeo.
Yep, while it MAY (and I do emphasis MAY) help the environment. It is bad for everything else. The BP up the road from me puts E10 in the 91 fuel. I refuse to touch it and therefore have to pay more for 95. No happy Jan.

Ford Mondeo Zetec Hatch in Blue Ambition
jared79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post