Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 25-08-2016, 07:39 AM   #1
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New low beam bulbs

The high output Philips bulbs that I fitted about 4 years ago finally died this winter, so I found these on special at Repco. The low beam is noticeably whiter and brighter now - a worthwhile upgrade for about $50. You also get a couple of "blue" sidelight bulbs.

I noticed when fitting the bulbs that they are actually made by Osram in Germany. You're never quite sure what you'll find in a Narva box, so I think this was a definite win.

EDIT: Oops, I uploaded a photo of the H4 bulbs.

$_57.jpg
Old 26-08-2016, 12:02 AM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: New low beam bulbs

nice, 2 years 2mths ago I went with Narva Intense and am happy with the output and colour change. H7 and H1 (fogs). Talking about that the reason why I got it done was I had an issue in that CANBUS gave an error that my LH/F headlight was out, but driving 60m it'd come on, turned out it was the connection in that one or two of the female spades was a tad too wide so I had to close it up. Never came back.

The other lighting issue I came across was the LH/R brake light CANBUS warning again. Replaced the globe but came back within weeks. That turned out to be the holder assembly and the metal plate for both feed (bk/pk) were slightly bent no doubt from heat and pressure. Using a screwdriver and the right force pulled them back to where they should be (wasn't bugger all in it) but enough to not make contact. That was the last of any lighting issues I've had. (touch wood)...
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2016, 07:10 PM   #3
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Funny thing was I didn't get a message that the LH bulb had gone. But it did work when the RH one failed.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2016, 09:01 PM   #4
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
Funny thing was I didn't get a message that the LH bulb had gone. But it did work when the RH one failed.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
Had that sort of behaviour with a Subaru Outback Gen3, but hi/lo headlights. Suspect it was earthing paths followed.
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Paulg05

I believe the Low-Beam globes for a 2015 MD Trend are H7 spec and NOT H11 which it states in the Manual. Has anyone came across that problem ?
Paulg05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2016, 07:30 AM   #6
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a quick update after driving at night - they are noticeably brighter and whiter than the Philips bulbs. I expect that they are the latest Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs sold in Europe.

Sorry, I don't know about the MD bulbs.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #7
DougalXR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulg05 View Post
I believe the Low-Beam globes for a 2015 MD Trend are H7 spec and NOT H11 which it states in the Manual. Has anyone came across that problem ?
The bulb chart in the owners manual does not correspond to the headlight / DRLs in the MD Trend at all.

The low beam in my Trend is a HID Xenon bulb (type unknown) and the high beam appears to be a H4 bulb (H7 in manual) with two filaments as this bulb is also the daytime running light.

It appears as though Ford has used the Fusion owners manual from the USA and has not corrected / updated all the relevent information for the Australian Mondeo.
DougalXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2016, 11:11 PM   #8
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

BAH! shouldn't have mentioned a thing..............Found out yesterday (missus didn't say anything till yesterday) that there's a brake bulb warning. Sure enough RH/R brake element gone, park still works. Just as well I grabbed a dozen ***. from the bargain bin 2yrs 2mths ago. Finally get to use one...

I also love that it takes seconds to change out.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #9
stuart

you can find the latest online manuals in English on the Ford UK site if that assists on the link:
http://m.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/Ow...deo+%282015%29

When I was in Germany I actually ordered a set of English manuals for my 2.2 Litre TDCi wagon. Cost about EUR 70.-. Was very useful since technical German can be a challenge
MA TDCi Mondeo sedan
AU Fairmont sedan
EL Futura sedan
EF Futura wagon
XD 4 Ltr sedan
stuart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2017, 11:01 PM   #10
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

well lastnight one of those Narva Intense globes had blown. Had a look this arvo and it's indeed blown, so out it comes and in goes the original globes I had when purchasing the vehicle in 2014. Saves mucking around on good friday...

I reckon I'll wait till one of these blows before fitting another Intense pair (least I'll have one spare).
Old 15-04-2017, 11:30 PM   #11
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, you have a bulb that is about to blow. I find that high output bulbs usually go within weeks of each other, so I replace both after the first one blows.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk
Old 16-04-2017, 12:04 AM   #12
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

I've not had a headlight blow early actually, last vehicle '98 Corolla still had the originals in after 250K kms or ~16yrs. This last Intense pair are 2mths short of 3yrs, unfortunately cost $75-95 a pair back then. They also come with parklight bulbs. I wanted them because of their colour, clean white.

I put both my originals in (they're quite yellow and same age) when I get around to buying more replacements they only come in pairs so two new intense globes will go in and the left over oldie will be a spare.
Old 16-04-2017, 05:03 AM   #13
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Narva pricing is a joke, plus you have to peer through the packaging to see what bulbs you're getting.

You can buy Osram bulbs for half that from the UK. Some places on eBay have cheap postage, or Autobulbs Dirct are good and have 20% off at he moment. .

Old 16-04-2017, 09:48 AM   #14
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

might have a ganda at those places cheers, I'm in no rush to change them.
Old 16-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #15
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have bought 4 sets over the years from powerbulbs.com (or .com.au)
Far cheaper then Repco even on specials
I can recommend the phillips 130's and the Osram night breakers

I only upgrade high beams. I hate people with brighter light beams - I end up driving past post dazzling not seeing properly for a few metres on the highways when going from dark to the receiving end of bright or mis aligned low beams
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2017, 04:48 PM   #16
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

double post
Old 17-04-2017, 07:47 PM   #17
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

lol I've been looking at the blown globe and I noticed the printing on the base:
OSRAM 64210CB1

that seems to be OSRAM ORIGINAL LINE 64210
Old 17-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #18
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrin View Post
lol I've been looking at the blown globe and I noticed the printing on the base:
OSRAM 64210CB1

that seems to be OSRAM ORIGINAL LINE 64210
So what you are saying is that your Narva Intense H7 Globes are marked as Osram 64210CBI (CBI refers to Cool Blue Intense); https://www.osram.com/osram_com/prod...me%3dosram_com

That is odd, obviously Narva don't make there own "Intense" Bulbs...

I just checked some OEM bulbs that I took out of my Jetta and they were Osram 64210L.
Old 17-04-2017, 11:54 PM   #19
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

indeed I am saying that ope126, though mine are H7:

Old 19-04-2017, 08:01 AM   #20
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126 View Post
So what you are saying is that your Narva Intense H7 Globes are marked as Osram 64210CBI (CBI refers to Cool Blue Intense); https://www.osram.com/osram_com/prod...me%3dosram_com

That is odd, obviously Narva don't make there own "Intense" Bulbs...

I just checked some OEM bulbs that I took out of my Jetta and they were Osram 64210L.
No, Narva don't make their own halogen bulbs. The last 2 I've bought have been Osram, but I have also had bulbs from Korea, which lasted a long time. You can usually read the details on the base plate through the packaging.

The number on the bulb is usually the fitment - Osram H7 bulbs are all marked 64210. L is long life, which are normally fitted as OE so that the bulb lasts through the warranty. I have a set of new H4 bulbs, which are marked NBU - NightBreaker Unlimited.

The blue bulbs are high output, but the blue glass cuts the light output significantly so that they are only about 20% brighter. Perfect if you want the blue look, but clear glass bulbs will give more light.

Last edited by NZ XR6; 19-04-2017 at 08:07 AM.
NZ XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #21
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Korean bulbs are Alite. I've had them in 2 motorbikes and they last over 20,000 km. The headlights are on all of the time, plus there is more vibration than a car.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:36 PM   #22
Paulg05

After 6-8 months of trialing my $100 LED Headlights on My MD Mondeo and plenty of research i've decided to go back to a full set of Osram Nightbreaker's ( both Low/High Beam & Fog Light) from Powerbulbs.com. Can't wait for them to arrive. From what i've read on plenty of websites is that LED's aren't properly designed for Projector Beam Headlights.
If anyone is interested powerbulbs.com have 20% off this weekend !
Paulg05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2017, 01:56 AM   #23
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The high output Philips bulbs that I fitted about 4 years ago finally died this winter, so I found these on special at Repco. The low beam is noticeably whiter and brighter now - a worthwhile upgrade for about $50. You also get a couple of "blue" sidelight bulbs.

I noticed when fitting the bulbs that they are actually made by Osram in Germany. You're never quite sure what you'll find in a Narva box, so I think this was a definite win.

EDIT: Oops, I uploaded a photo of the H4 bulbs.

Attachment 93791
One of the bulbs has blown already. Not impressed after how long the Philips bulbs lasted, so have ordered a set of the latest Plus 130 Philips from the UK.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:35 AM   #24
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One of the bulbs has blown already. Not impressed after how long the Philips bulbs lasted, so have ordered a set of the latest Plus 130 Philips from the UK.
Ordered from Powerbulbs.com and took a week for delivery from the UK and half the price of Australia prices

Phillips xTreme Halogen 130% for like $28.54

Mine bought were H4, but choose accordingly and hopefully good price also

PayPal and site offered a discount so you know

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD [MM .352]
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2017, 03:50 PM   #25
josh1990
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The "plus" globes are great, extra light output at the same wattage. What you sacrifice is longevity. For example, Philips +130 have an estimated lifetime of up to 450 hours. Couldn't find an estimate from the similar Narva globe. If you're worried about them lasting, fit long life globes to low beam and upgrade the high beams, where the plus globes will last longer due to not using them as often.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:05 PM   #26
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1990 View Post
The "plus" globes are great, extra light output at the same wattage. What you sacrifice is longevity. For example, Philips +130 have an estimated lifetime of up to 450 hours. Couldn't find an estimate from the similar Narva globe. If you're worried about them lasting, fit long life globes to low beam and upgrade the high beams, where the plus globes will last longer due to not using them as often.
I had the 100 plus Phillips xTreme low beams prior to my new ones above, lasted about 3 years and both died within 4 months of each other

Cheap as chups anyway regardless

VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2017, 11:46 PM   #27
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniacidz View Post
I had the 100 plus Phillips xTreme low beams prior to my new ones above, lasted about 3 years and both died within 4 months of each other

Cheap as chups anyway regardless

I fitted Philips Extreme bulbs about a year after buying the MB, so they lasted over 4 years, even with the low beams always on. Not sure the new Plus 130 bulbs will last as long though.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #28
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everything in a life is compromise. I run phillips extreme 130 or nightbreaker ultimate's (high beam)

If you are worried about how long they will last - look up the Tc and B3 values in the specifications
-they tell you how many hours 63% and 97% (B3) of bulbs are likely to last. Contrary to marketing spiel, Phillips Extreme +130's B3/Tc is 200/300 Hours. so only 63% will last as long as 300 hours.

If you want life over beam distance go the Original Equipment - designed to last life of warranty , usually with a L suffix

Personally I am happy to spend 20mins swapping out the high beam every 3-4 years for the extra distance.

I don't like bright bulbs in low beams. May be not so bad on a lit city road but not good as the eyes try and adjust on a quiet and dark country road with infrequent oncoming traffic. I can live with missing one high beam bulb for a trip or two, but don't want to be replacing low beam frequently.

Last edited by 383hq; 02-10-2017 at 08:44 AM.