Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 13-07-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Free-Reving Engine

I'm sure there's quite a number of us that love the sound of the Fiesta engine inside the cabin.

My question is - Is there any other car that has a "free-reving engine", and one with that delicious sound like the Fiesta inside the cabin?

Reason was I drove mum's Focus for a week and I couldn't get used to the ride being smooth and quiet and the "slow-takeoff" (Might be only mum's car).

Old 13-07-2006, 11:18 PM   #2
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurbanx
I'm sure there's quite a number of us that love the sound of the Fiesta engine inside the cabin.

My question is - Is there any other car that has a "free-reving engine", and one with that delicious sound like the Fiesta inside the cabin?

Reason was I drove mum's Focus for a week and I couldn't get used to the ride being smooth and quiet and the "slow-takeoff" (Might be only mum's car).
Re: Slow takeoff.

With my last Fez, for the 1st 1000km I was advised by the dealer to flog the guts out of it, and seeing as it was the first manual car I'd ever driven, I did what I concidered flogging it.

Now I have my 2nd Fez & know how to drive a manual, I know how to drive it properly & really push the revs. So up until about a week ago I have been caning my Fez, the difference between driving the 1st & 2nd Fez is remarkable.

My current Fez is twice as quick off the mark, twice as responsive & twice as fun to drive as the last one.

So for the 1st 1000km or so with your Mum's car, maybe it wasn't pushed so hard?
Swaytan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 11:30 PM   #3
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sway - Both the parents drilled it into my head to take it easy on the accelerator during the first 500km (something about the engine breaking in). The Focus is up to roughly about 33-35k's now, just right off the lights when you step on it, it'll take it's sweet time to build up speed, other than that, it was a blast on the freeway (being able to overtake cars).

Driving the Focus for the two week made me realise I miss the Fiesta and it's loud cabin noise, quick take-off and the rev happy engine. If I do sell the Fiesta later on down the track, it would be nice to purchase another car that has the same rev-happy engine and cabin noise.

It's possibley because the two cars are Auto :hihi:
Old 13-07-2006, 11:47 PM   #4
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Sway - Both the parents drilled it into my head to take it easy on the accelerator during the first 500km (something about the engine breaking in). The Focus is up to roughly about 33-35k's now, just right off the lights when you step on it, it'll take it's sweet time to build up speed, other than that, it was a blast on the freeway (being able to overtake cars).

Driving the Focus for the two week made me realise I miss the Fiesta and it's loud cabin noise, quick take-off and the rev happy engine. If I do sell the Fiesta later on down the track, it would be nice to purchase another car that has the same rev-happy engine and cabin noise.

It's possibley because the two cars are Auto :hihi:
Hmm, maybe just a fluke car?

Yeah, Ford told me that no running in period appart from running in the brakes for the 1st 100km was required. Don't know if it's just unique to that engine...
Old 13-07-2006, 11:58 PM   #5
photn
AFF Post NAZI

see thats weird i was told to take it easy by ford for the 1st thousand the get the motor ridden in that sorta thing. i was under the impression that if u flooged it at the start that you could really dammage the engine, myne goes sweet no probs taking off, extrememly fast, when dragging other cars i rev to 6g and no problem, excellent take off and exxcllent responsiveness. like i told mista and sway and piotr the other day, i nearly beat an 03 focus from the mark. i hit 100 then backed of. but was neck and neck all the way(tellling the truth, ask gf if dun belive me)i dont know what type as it had all badges removed, though a built chick was driving it, car had gold rims the meshy kind. but i kept up with it all the way.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 12:47 AM   #6
amlohac

That taking it easy thing is a myth. Maybe with your cars from the 60's where everything wasnt made to the mirco mm by computer. Modern cars can take an a.rse whooping right off the factory floor, and your supposed to. Theres a method to runnin in your car and its not to take it slow.

The breaks are different, if you push real hard on brand new discs they spot and warp and end up rooted before you reach 15,000km.

Also your stock focus weighs ALOT more than your little fez. So of course off the line your going to be up a focus's rear end. kw's mean higher top speed at the end of the day.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 12:52 AM   #7
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by amlohac
That taking it easy thing is a myth. Maybe with your cars from the 60's where everything wasnt made to the mirco mm by computer. Modern cars can take an a.rse whooping right off the factory floor, and your supposed to. Theres a method to runnin in your car and its not to take it slow.

The breaks are different, if you push real hard on brand new discs they spot and warp and end up rooted before you reach 15,000km.

Also your stock focus weighs ALOT more than your little fez. So of course off the line your going to be up a focus's rear end. kw's mean higher top speed at the end of the day.
Good call.
Old 14-07-2006, 12:53 AM   #8
BlackLS

Its actually better to run it in hard: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Quote:
What's The Best Way To Break-In A New Engine ??
The Short Answer: Run it Hard!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 01:01 AM   #9
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Its actually better to run it in hard: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Whoa, that's some interesting reading, thanks mate! :Reverend:
Old 14-07-2006, 01:38 AM   #10
NEG
Diabolus

Quote:

You must have a super Fiesta!
My girlfriend just bought a 2004 fiesta and after driving it I was pretty disapointed :(. Firstly what engine sound? It was more like a barely noticable whine. and I defently wasnt what I would call quick off the mark.

Anyway to answer your question my EF XR6 revs smoother and sound much better (i can actually hear it) and probly takes off faster in 2nd gear than the fiesta in 1st.

Anyway thats just my opinion.. But im never wrong
NEG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 02:16 AM   #11
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEG
My girlfriend just bought a 2004 fiesta and after driving it I was pretty disapointed :(. Firstly what engine sound? It was more like a barely noticable whine. and I defently wasnt what I would call quick off the mark.

Anyway to answer your question my EF XR6 revs smoother and sound much better (i can actually hear it) and probly takes off faster in 2nd gear than the fiesta in 1st.

I've found after previously owning four 4-pot cars and driving god knows how many more the Fiesta is by far the best sounding 4 cylinder motor I've driven. Most of the others start to sound real thrashy above 3500-4000rpm whereas the Fez motor keeps on going all the way to the redline. It's also got a deeper sound compared to it's rivals in my experience. Comparing it to an EF is a bit rough though, it's in a completely different class and as nice as they sound, there's plenty better again.

I also hear that you can drive a Dodge Viper in 4th all day, but that would be an unfair comparison, would it not?
Old 14-07-2006, 10:06 AM   #12
Swaytan
Swaytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEG
Gold...

But seriously, a Fiesta Vs an XR6, is there any need for comparison in regards to take off? Not really.

But comparing a Fiesta to a Barina, Jazz etc, the Fiesta owns.
Old 14-07-2006, 11:02 AM   #13
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEG

Totally Disagree with you there, there is nothing wrong at all with the sound of the Fiesta. Popular (and critical) Opinion is that it's a satisfying growl that comes from the engine bay, with a electric WRC like buzz up top. I concur with that. And so does anyone who sits in my car when i'm punting it.

The robotic Stressed out whine of the EF 4 litre engine at anywhere past 4000 RPM is NOT a nice sound. you ARE wrong, and the farty XF like sound of it when you first go to take off (Specially if its an auto with an exhaust) just makes it sound like an old Taxi.... I had a EF XR (manual) before Fez, and loved it, I had a lot of fun with it and was very very proud of the car. But the engine/exhaust noise never ever cut it for me.

Honest Opinion is that it does NOT Sh!!t all over the Fiesta. Yeah, it's quicker, but the Fiesta first gear has a ratio such that I beleive it would dang near keep up with the EF for a small while.

An EF doesn't handle like a fiesta either (and my EF was full pedders sportsryder spec as well with Castor kit and 50mm Lowering). The Fiesta is much more compliant on the road and I feel safer chucking it around corners at speeds much more than the EF.

Thats my opinion from real expecience, and I'M NEVER wrong.... :
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 12:23 PM   #14
photn
AFF Post NAZI

danny's right i used to drive my dads el b4 he got the AU and it WAS LOUD. extreemly loud it was auto as well and had serious laggo off the lights. i tellu now that the fez has sum serious manouvering ability and in terms of ride and handling beats the el. and im SUMTIME wrong

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 02:07 PM   #15
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Wow, this thread has gone in all sorts of directions.

Firstly the Fiesta engine is sweet sounding and revvy... but come on? The best 4? Never!

I could list a few, so here goes;
Honda - I've been in an Integra Type R DC2R, a Honda Accord Euro, Honda S2000 and Honda Civic Coupe VTiR, all of which sound unreal in the cabin, especially if fitted with a pod filter.
My Clio, which I believe sounds awesome, and is very responsive, considering I drove a Manual Mazda3 Maxx Sport yesterday and was disappointed with (sounded ok, but wasn't too responsive). Add a filter to the Clio (which a friend of mine has done, and I will do when I get my car back) and the sound is insane, almost Honda like!

So yes, the Fiesta is sweet sounding for a small 1.6L hatchback, but doesn't compete with the 2.0L plus 4cylinders with variable valve timing

Second I was told to flog the engine the way I want it to run all the time. I was told the Fiesta engine is pre-run in Germany before being installed into the car. I flogged my engine (although changed oil every 7,500kms) and the engine went great, and never failed by it's own fault

How do I know the Fiesta engine is great for a 1.6L? Because I'm currently driving in a Citroen C3 EX (yes, laugh it off) and it is extremely poor. Hit red-line (don't even go into it) and it will change gear for you! My friend's Barina (Euro) 1.4L engine in manual form doesn't feel as competant as the Fiesta. I've also been in a Jazz 1.5L, and wasn't too impressed either.

But it isn't the best - that goes to the Honda Civic 1.6L VTiR in my opinion.

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 02:51 PM   #16
Danny
GT4.

WTF!? Who said Fiesta was the best sounding Four??????

No one. Last time I checked Leigh said it was the best sounding four that HE had driven.... NOT overall.....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #17
NEG
Diabolus

Hi guys me again

I was tired and bored last night hense my last post. Your right danny It isnt fair to compare a 6 to a 4. just as a 8 would sound alot better than my 6.
also my girfriends car could be a dud, its alrerady got 80k on it. Also coming straight out of the Falcon into the Fiesta probly felt slower than it is, just didnt throw me back into my seat like im used to. The fiesta probly would out handle the falcon though. Personaly a fiesta wouldnt suit me, but what ever floats your boat. Still a nice little car.
NEG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 03:30 PM   #18
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

This thread has really brought out how subjective an engine note is. Personally, I don't rate VTEC motors at all much in the same way I hate rotaries. Far too peaky and not torquey enough for anying other than the track. This is before any turbos are considered of course.
Old 14-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #19
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04

Firstly the Fiesta engine is sweet sounding and revvy... but come on? The best 4? Never!

I could list a few, so here goes;
Honda - I've been in an Integra Type R DC2R, a Honda Accord Euro, Honda S2000 and Honda Civic Coupe VTiR, all of which sound unreal in the cabin, especially if fitted with a pod filter.
Yes Honda's V-TEC engines are pretty sweet! (sound-wise). Probably my next car in 5-6 yrs or so... will be something like Integra.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 06:37 PM   #20
goop

I quite like the sound

The dealer told me that no, I couldn't get any on tick. Bastard. The car dealer told me to drive the car how it's gonna be driven, i.e. don't be gentle, give it a bit He didn't mention bedding the brakes, but I've been pretty easy on them.... sorta
goop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2006, 09:26 PM   #21
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Indeed, this thread's gone out on all directions.

The thread was to find out which car/s sounded like the Fiesta inside the cabin and/or as free-reving and like I stated on my second post, it would be nice to carry that over to the second car.

I haven't been inside any of those mentioned Honda's and the Clio, but I've been inside my friend's FTO and the only thing I could hear was the massive exhaust out the back.
Old 15-07-2006, 06:33 PM   #22
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Lets just say as long as you don't get;

Holden Barina, Honda Jazz 1.3L (or the 1.5L), Citroen C3 (hahaha funny stories about this one!), Renault 1.6L Clio, Mazda2 or any other new small car... you should be fine!

They sound horrible.

The Citroen C3 (which I have now) has a semi-auto function. But, it WON'T go into redline. As soon as it hits redline, it 'automatically' changes gear. Hit redline in first, it goes into second gear for about 3 seconds, then at 4,500rpm goes into third, then realises you flat sticking the accelerator and then goes BACK into 2nd. Gosh, what confusion! Seriously flawed, especially for the price!

As for the Clio 1.6L i had for 2 days... it was no where near as good as the Fiesta's engine. Although it is apparently quicker (didn't feel it) it was very noisy and didn't want to be opened up to the red line! Steering was very very light... lighter then even the Citroen C3!

Danny - Chill. I wasn't saying someone said it. I was basically stating it isn't a great 1.6L, although, for a new car I admit I'm yet to hear a nicer 1.6L engine

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 15-07-2006, 08:56 PM   #23
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Citroen C3 Seriously flawed, especially for the price!
Yes, I had a conversation with someone at work. She just bought a C3 and told me how much she loves the car etc. When I asked how much she got it for..... she replied "$26,000" "...it's a good deal though.. considering it's discounted from $29,000" .
Lady, you can get a Polo GTi with $29k in your pocket.

Anyways I didnt want to make her feel bad, she just got the car like 2 weeks ago... I just went "oh, cool!........yep........uhuh..........cool!"

Teki, why r u driving a C3 at the moment? (sorry if i missed it).
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2006, 09:31 PM   #24
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKid
Teki, why r u driving a C3 at the moment? (sorry if i missed it).
I've had a hard-to-start issue with my car since the first night of ownership. After being extremely ****ed off, I decided to be kind to them and start over, and they finally realised I just wanted a Loan Car, as I have work, and can't afford the ridiculous $66/day they wanted. I basically said, I'm taking my business elsewhere. They heard of this, offered me a loan car whilst fixing the car, and matched the price of another dealer for the 10,000km service.

The dealer had no clue what the problem was... had replaced a Coil Pack about 1-2 months ago, which did nothing. So, after being in contact with Renault Australia about the problems and when they happen, Renault has decided to replace my ECU, which will take 14 days to deliver.

So, I know have a Citroen C3 EX with full glass sunroof in Automatic with only 2,200kms!

I should also mention that this was kind of good timing. They have agreed to keep my car on the hoist, meaning I can steal my two front rims and get them fixed whilst I have the Citroen (I have no spare wheel with which to use whilst I send off the rim)

Old 16-07-2006, 01:03 AM   #25
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
As for the Clio 1.6L i had for 2 days... it was no where near as good as the Fiesta's engine. Although it is apparently quicker (didn't feel it) it was very noisy and didn't want to be opened up to the red line! Steering was very very light... lighter then even the Citroen C3!
I have driven my mate's 1.6 Clio Privilege (which you saw at the meet at KK livo) repetiadley, before and after I got my Fiesta. He's owned it since new, an '04, has 19,000km on it now.

The steering is as good as the Fiesta's, easily on par, if not better, I just like the smaller steering wheel diameter in the Fiesta more myself.

The car is quite happy to see it all the way to 7000rpm on its tacho, I've done it myself and my mate does it frequently, no issues! It's beaten many larger, more powerful 4 cyl cars (100kW Corolla's, 110kW FSI Golfs, 104kW Mazda3's etc) two up in the Clio, which was very, very surprising.

As for the sound, it's got a distinct noise which can be recognised quite easily, comparing to any other 4 cyl car in its class, much like the Fiesta.

Are you sure the car wasn't a stuffed up, abused demo, hence its poor performance?

PS... Why do you own a Clio and then bag them so much?
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2006, 01:20 AM   #26
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Odd - the Clio 1.6L has a great chassis... You can just throw it into corners. I don't doubt that. But by gosh the steering was VERY light and didn't provide much feel as to what was going on with the wheels.

As for the engine... I do believe the Fiesta's is still much more free revving. Sure, the Clio was more able to chirp into second gear, but that was also due to the smaller (185s) tyres. It being able to beat Mazda3s and Golf FSIs?! Are you sure?! Once again, these are sub 10 second cars... unless the Mazda3 was an auto? Even then...

Pretty sure the Clio wasn't stuffed up. It had about 14,000kms I think. 2004 model I think too...

Hehe, I don't bag the RenaultSport Clio... just the regular Clio. The regular Clios vs Fiesta - I'd take the Fiesta anyday. Hence I owned one As we all know there is no ST here... So, RS Clio for me!