Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 05-04-2006, 10:51 AM   #31
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I tihnk manual wins, fullstop, if anyone has any objections line me up in an auto car the same as mine and we'll test it
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 11:43 AM   #32
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbworth
I dunno... i find all the overhead of a driving a manual much more distracting. Particularly in a tight situation.
Are you saying that you find the actions of driving the car i.e. using the clutch and gear stick' distracting from.... driving the car i.e. steering and observing the road?

I'm not sure how concentrating on controlling the vehicle is actually a distraction from driving the vehicle, unless of course you’re not competent with driving a manual in the first place and don’t find it ‘second nature’. If indeed that’s the case as it is with many people these days then I would have to agree with you.

P.S This is not meant to be an attack on your driving skill by the way, just trying to clarify your point.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:06 PM   #33
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
Are you saying that you find the actions of driving the car i.e. using the clutch and gear stick' distracting from.... driving the car i.e. steering and observing the road?

I'm not sure how concentrating on controlling the vehicle is actually a distraction from driving the vehicle, unless of course you’re not competent with driving a manual in the first place and don’t find it ‘second nature’. If indeed that’s the case as it is with many people these days then I would have to agree with you.

P.S This is not meant to be an attack on your driving skill by the way, just trying to clarify your point.
I agree. If you drive manual you tend to look futher up the road and scan the road for hills that may need a downshift or a car that could possibly cut you off. With auto i end up watching the tail lights of the car in front, my secret shame.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 03:45 PM   #34
orsest170
WRC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbworth
To me this is just an indication that given the choice, many people prefer auto. The novelty of the manual wears off and then people just want to get to where theyre going without too much stress, while feeling safe and in control. I expect these same people would have a go at the tiptronic again when they feel like having an enthusiast moment?
You are absolutely right, most people do prefer autos, you only have to look at the sales figures, especially amongst medium / large cars. However, most people are not driving enthusiasts, and a car is simply a means to get from a to b, or in the more shallow sectors of society, a status symbol.

The point I was trying to make, is that they quickly tire of the tiptronic experience, not because the act of manually changing gears is laborious or difficult, but because these tiptronic gear boxes do not offer the same experience as a proper manual shifter and clutch. At the end of the day, this is only my opinion and you are more than entitled to disagree with me _2: .

I will also add that, if people do find it difficult or stressful to coordinate the process of watching the road, steering, braking / accelerating whilst changing gears, then perhaps they should seriously reconsider whether they are worthy of being on the road in the first place :

Quite frankly it scares me to think that some people drive autos simply because they cannot safely cope with the ‘added difficulty’ of changing gears.
orsest170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 05:31 PM   #35
jameseybuddy
06 Focus Zetec Owner

I apologise, I tried not to insult anyone. Everyone has a valid argument. Remember transmissions don't kill people, bad drivers kill people. These bad drivers can come in all shapes and sizes, auto or manual.

I beleive anyone who has found this forum must have some idea of how to drive and what it takes to drive well and safe.
jameseybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 05:44 PM   #36
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol i tihnk the only person you can really trust on the road, is yourself, it's all about knowing what's going on around you and reaction times
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2006, 07:16 PM   #37
kcbworth

Haha interesting conversation so far. I must admit that I much prefer autos simply because that's what i'm used 2, but i'm certainly no enthusiast. I do appreciate the braking power that changing down gears allows (and I'm more than satisfied with the tiptronic in this respect) but most times I really don't want to have to think about changing gears when i'm already worried about the cars around me on the road, speed and angles into corners, and all the other obstacles city driving throws up.

Maybe it's just because i'm not super confident driving manual as i haven't driven one in a long time, but i certainly don't remember enjoying driving as much back then as i have since I've driven a manual.

I suppose the tiptronic is a nice little gimmick for someone like me that is more than happy driving an auto, but sometimes just needs that extra bit of control over the engine, in certain, rare occassions.
kcbworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post