Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-07-2006, 04:19 PM   #1
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Default Coolant leak issue...

It doesn't really concern me much, but I'd thought I'd post this up to see if anyone else has this problem.

I get a coolant leak from the hose that travels above the radiator/thermo fans (where I've circled in this pic taken from AUFalcon.com)

Now, the reason I'm not worried about it is that the temp stays in the normal range for the ute (between N and O), but it leaks from out under it and cakes onto the engine.

Should I be worried about it? I've had the hose replaced and it hasn't fixed it.

Old 17-07-2006, 04:49 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I would not worry too much, but a leak can only get bigger and worse over time as a general rule, and then it will let you down in the middle of no where, when you can least avoid it to happen.

New thermostat housing cover is cheap, think about changing it

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
New thermostat housing cover is cheap, think about changing it
That's the part the hose clamps onto? Yes/no?

I'm still learning the ins and outs of the engine...
Old 17-07-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yeah, and from memory, I think you can get fully chromed ones from ebay... a new hose and hose clamp might be a better alternative first (if it leaks from the hose that is...).... good luck...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 05:23 PM   #5
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Yeah, and from memory, I think you can get fully chromed ones from ebay... a new hose and hose clamp might be a better alternative first (if it leaks from the hose that is...).... good luck...
I did state before that the hose and clamp have already been replaced, the engine bay in the ute is a hell of a lot messier than that car.
Old 17-07-2006, 05:37 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Are you sure it's leaking from that hose? Mine was leaking from the thermostat housing itself (lost about 500ml of water in a month). Nothing too bad, but I hate the smell of cooking coolant, and it stains everything it touches.
Mods: Tune, ShockWorks and GT335 replicas in 19 x 8.5 & 9.5 35p offset with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, FG 19” Lux packs with 245/35/19 Toyo and Pirelli tyres, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 05:39 PM   #7
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Are you sure it's leaking from that hose? Mine was leaking from the thermostat housing itself (lost about 500ml of water in a month). Nothing too bad, but I hate the smell of cooking coolant, and it stains everything it touches.
Yep, absolutely sure JC. From where it joins onto the housing.

I lifted the bonnet yesterday to do some adjusting with gas mixtures and can see caked on coolant. I'll get a pic tonight and post it up tomorrow.
Old 17-07-2006, 05:47 PM   #8
howesy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Replace the hose as well. Over time the hose goes hard and resists clamping pressure to seal. Do this and use utilux type clamp and clean spiggot and smear lightly with grease and it will be fine.
howesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2006, 07:06 PM   #9
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

it looks that car is still using the gay Ford squeeze band clamp... Pi$$ that off Kenny and use a std hose clamp if you haven't already

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 09:48 AM   #10
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Before I post this pic of MY engine bay, the one I posted earlier was of someone else's car that I got off AUFalcon.com to show where I was talking about.

This is the leak in question...

Sorry for quality of pic.

See just under the hose, there caked on coolant just above the join where the housing bolts to the engine. This means to me that it's not coming through that join, but from underneath where the hose is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me
I've had the hose replaced and it hasn't fixed it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by au3chaser
a new hose and hose clamp might be a better alternative first
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me, again
I did state before that the hose and clamp have already been replaced
Quote:
Originally Posted by howesy
Replace the hose as well
Guys, for the final time, the hose was replaced when I first noticed it about a month ago, which fixed it for a short time.

If you mean to re-replace it, it won't need it, still feels good, hasn't gone hard or anything like that.

Also, those small specks of baked coolant was my fault. It's not the result of the issue at hand.
Old 18-07-2006, 09:51 AM   #11
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

undo the hose clamp and move it about 3mm closer to the neck of the housing.. It looks to be far enough back to actually be sitting on the flare... Make sure the hose clamp is tight, depending on the brand of clamp some of those 8-13mm ones can be duds..

and buy a new camera
come and get this microwave
and your console :P

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 09:56 AM   #12
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
undo the hose clamp and move it about 3mm closer to the neck of the housing.. It looks to be far enough back to actually be sitting on the flare... Make sure the hose clamp is tight, depending on the brand of clamp some of those 8-13mm ones can be duds..

and buy a new camera
come and get this microwave
and your console :P
OK, done. Will do it tonight when I'm finished at work.

Camera is in the pipeline. :P

Give me a time to come get the stuff Tibbo. Except maybe not this weekend... got other stuff on.
Old 18-07-2006, 10:55 AM   #13
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Au and BA Falcon have this fault of leaking from the Top thermo outlet where the hose attaches to. It is the Pipe Fitting coming lose in the Alloy housing. I don't think that Ford has taken much notice about ammending this? has been happening for 8 years. :(

When you are searching around for a new one, make sure that if you get an aftermarket one that it isnt like the Original.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 10:16 PM   #14
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I replaced my thermostat housing and genuine Ford it is about $29.00, I had leaks around the O ring(not me the Ford) so far so good.
cheers
Bill.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2006, 10:48 PM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good excuse to get a chrome one
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2006, 09:59 AM   #16
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Small update...

I moved the clamp towards the housing and temp is better than before (sits before N now), but I've noticed in the join that there's a coolant "seal", as in it looks like it's leaking, but it doesn't.

Almost sounds like I need a new thermostat housing...
Old 29-07-2006, 08:33 PM   #17
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
Small update...

I moved the clamp towards the housing and temp is better than before (sits before N now), but I've noticed in the join that there's a coolant "seal", as in it looks like it's leaking, but it doesn't.

Almost sounds like I need a new thermostat housing...
I feel your pain!
I had the same problem But with a new clamp & playing with the position of the clamp the leak is finally gone. I did have to move the clamp a few times though & tighten the life out of it. Make sure you clean the housing to get a good seal.
Old 27-10-2017, 07:02 PM   #18
Markan
Starter Motor

Default Re: Coolant leak issue...

Talking about themostat can somone tell me will the tyton high flow number tt228-195 will this thermo fit in my ford au series 3 xr6vct? Also I don't understand under the radiator right bottom leaks at moment drops is there some plug or something I heard that it let's out coolant if expansion not sure but only happens now and again can't understand if there was even a small hole would still leak 3 out of 10 checks no leak? ?took to a brake and radiator place bloke goes small hole can patch it up for $150 didn't feel comfortable with his answer as I said why would it stop leaking most of the time temperature doesn't go over o got to add coolant but only say 100, 200 ml this one has got me! Plus how could he see I saw didn't realy look hard and when I said big or small hole doesn't know said by the leak it's small! Who to trust u tubed everything I could think of dumb founded. Would really appreciate it. .
Markan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post