Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 05-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #271
Sam123
Mondeo 2010

Default Re: What problems have you had with your Mondeo?

Mine does that on flat surface. Everytime i start mileage will be about 20 to 30kms different....
Sam123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #272
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone1410 View Post
Mine does exactly the same thing. Mileage estimate is one number when I park it on our steep upwards driveway. Next morning it is considerably worse at startup but gradually comes back to the original figure as it is driven for awhile.
The algorithm for DTE uses both current, and recent fuel usage. When you start it up the next morning, it is running considerably richer for several minutes. The computer, however, thinks that this is the way it will run until the next fill.
Ergo the change in DTE.
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-01-2018, 02:55 PM   #273
morts
Starter Motor

Hi all hoping for a bit of advice on what could be an issue I have with my MC 2L Ecoboost Petrol Mondeo.

Last month on a couple of long trips I did about 400kms once or twice on each trip the car would feel like the engine lost power & the car would start to slow down & then it would clear & be fine.

As my next service was only about 2K from being due & I was having no issues around town I thought I'd leave it until then. Over the last week I noticed a couple of times when I started it the engine seemed to surge a little at idle but not every time I started it.

Today when I went to start it it stalled a few times which it has never even done once previously & when it did start it was quite rough & was unresponsive for a second or so to any accelerator pedal pressure. Once I got it to idle I left for a couple of minutes & then it was fine in the way it revved with a bit of accelerator. Took it for a bit of a drive & under light acceleration it's fine but if you used a heavier right foot then it would feel quite sluggish in the way it responds.

After my drive I left it for about 20mins & restarted, it did start on the first try but took a second or instead of being instantaneous.

Can't get into the local Ford place for over a week, any ideas on what could be the issue or anything a gumby like me could try to see if that cures it.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered
morts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2018, 06:08 PM   #274
aupirate
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aupirate View Post
Current problems on MC 2011 diesel wagon are:
1. When turning ignition key on hazard lights come on and tail gate unlocks, only happens intermittently, usually 1st thing in the morning.
2. Engine malfunction light comes on occasionally for no apparent reason. Engine sometimes but not always goes into limp mode.
Any ideas or similar experiences would be valued especially before I take it to Ford and lose my shirt.
Solved the hazard lights and tail gate issue on start up by changing where the cpu that was installed for the tow bar had its power supplied from. Problem went away, used the rear aux outlet fuse.
aupirate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #275
blue17
Starter Motor

My MD 2.0 ecoboost had its engine light come on and dealer checked code which was P0420. Could not find a fault and just did the usual reset but it came back on a week later. Checked again and same code and now am booked in for new catalytic converter. Bit odd as do longer runs every few days. I also run it on 91ron which I am told is fine and the book says is OK and I don't notice any noticeable difference to 95ron and can't justify the 20c price difference.

Morts I have read that a dodgy blocked converter can cause problems like yours but it would be unusual if a warning light did not come on.
blue17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2018, 08:28 PM   #276
morts
Starter Motor

Thanks Blue17, so far no warning lights at all.

Picked up a OBD2 today & with the Forscan App have managed to extract this data with the car still & idling

Code P1169 FRP Sensor in Range but High

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Signal Amplitude Greater Than Maximum

- DTC Maturing - Intermittent at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC
- Test not complete

Module: Powertrain Control Module

I guess as a first step I check all the wiring harnesses & have a listen to see if I can hear if all the injectors are clicking regularly???
morts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2018, 10:29 AM   #277
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

P169 = Fuel Rail Sensor In-Range High Failure

Possible causes

• Faulty Fuel Rail Sensor
  • Fuel Rail Sensor harness is open or shorted
  • Fuel Rail Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
A quick search nets that, so go over the connector/harness but essentially you'd need to have the fuel pressure checked to see what it actually is and hopefully it'll be just the sensor reporting wrongly.
2 users like this post:
Old 08-08-2018, 11:18 AM   #278
Mondaveo

Blew a fuse the other week for the 12VDC 'cigar lighter' circuit. I have a couple of USB car chargers plugged in the front and rear seat 12V sockets to charge phones and power my dashcam, and ordinarily this works fine. But on this occasion (halfway from Canberra to Sydney) we plugged in the rear one and it must've caused a current spike as the sockets immediately went dead.

I had some difficulty locating the central fuse box because the illustration in the manual is backwards (or is the LHD version). Managed to find it after consulting YouTube.

I found the fuse puller in the engine bay fuse box alongside the slots for spare fuses... All empty of course

I wanted to have my gadgets, so looked at what I could swap until I could get a replacement 15A blade fuse. I elected to take the fuse for the rear washer, reasoning I could get by without that for the remainder of my trip. This worked to get my 12V accessories back in business.

As it happened, in drizzly weather on the return trip from Sydney I had need of my front windscreen washer... but the washers didn't work front or rear. It seems that disconnecting the rear washer also disabled the front one despite these being individually fused?
When I eventually got a replacement 15A blade and restored the fuse for the rear washer, they both worked again.

The burned out fuse I pulled from the 12V circuit was a different style to all the other blade fuses I observed in the engine and central fuse boxes, so I surmise it was replaced prior to my ownership. Common for the 12V cigar lighter circuit to blow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2018, 11:57 AM   #279
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Common for the 12V cigar lighter circuit to blow?
I reckon but that's typical as the usage it gets being the culprit. Moving the dashcam off the circuit so it has it's own probably would stop the issue.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:07 PM   #280
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fuse is there to protect the system from overload, ie fire and failure.

Electrical devices have the current and voltage printed on them somewhere. Multiply these figures and you have the power in watts. For example 0.5 amps and 12 volts gives 6 watts. That's about GPS power.

The cigar lighter fuse is 20 amps, so the power available is 240 watts. no where near what a GPS unit woulds use, even as a 'spike', unless the unit were destroyed.

The total energy required to blow the fuse is
dependent on the fuse type and current rating. The energy delivered depends on the length of time the power (volts times amps) is delivered.

Could be a transient short circuit, for example.

As for usage, I've had a GPS unit plugged in the front cigar lighter for the last 5 years with no problem.

Last edited by rondeo; 08-08-2018 at 07:18 PM.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2018, 12:24 PM   #281
manchu

So I had a problem with the lower door seal coming away from the body because the kids step on it when getting in/out of the car.

I finally got around to re-fitting the seal with the new clips I bought on ebay, but it only lasted a few days before most of the clips either broke, or popped out the seal channel.

I think I'll save myself further and just run a strip of gaffa tape along the top edge of the seal.

any other suggestions?
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #282
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had the same problem early on!
A bit of 4 by 2 fixed it....
I doubt the kids will put a step out of line again ;-)

Seriously, the damn thin is right where they put their feet!
Moondust silver
Frozen white

Previous
1995 Camry 2.2, white
Old 10-08-2018, 10:54 PM   #283
bundybear75

My passenger side one kept coming loose then one day I noticed it missing. Kids must of kicked it off and left it.

The drivers side started doing the same thing so I removed it too. Now no problems......
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #284
manchu

removing that strip does seem like the easiest option.

I noticed another issue on the weekend. The boot door on my wagon somehow got water inside. I noticed it sloshing around when I opened the boot. Suspect it has something to do with being parked facing downward on a slope in the rain.

all gone now after driving to work today
Old 14-08-2018, 07:30 AM   #285
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchu View Post
removing that strip does seem like the easiest option.

I noticed another issue on the weekend. The boot door on my wagon somehow got water inside. I noticed it sloshing around when I opened the boot. Suspect it has something to do with being parked facing downward on a slope in the rain.

all gone now after driving to work today
Check the bottom of the door, there may be small drain holes/slots along the bottom. Check they are not blocked.
2002 BMW R1150GS
Old 03-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #286
evanlau
Starter Motor

Poor build quality. See separate thread "Mondeo Trend MY2018.25 - Digital speedo & build quality". Had to get Ford Australia involved and now the car is with a panel beater to get the doors sorted. Boot is also being looked at as the lights don't align when closed. Was told it's "acceptable build quality" but decided it wasn't. Hopefully it'll be addressed..

The indicator stalk releasing when/after turning - I've noticed it releases relatively early when you're turning the steering wheel back to centre. I'm used to them staying on until you're close to centre but this releases pretty much as soon as you start turning the wheel the other way..
evanlau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2018, 06:00 AM   #287
bundybear75

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanlau View Post
Poor build quality. See separate thread "Mondeo Trend MY2018.25 - Digital speedo & build quality". Had to get Ford Australia involved and now the car is with a panel beater to get the doors sorted. Boot is also being looked at as the lights don't align when closed. Was told it's "acceptable build quality" but decided it wasn't. Hopefully it'll be addressed..

The indicator stalk releasing when/after turning - I've noticed it releases relatively early when you're turning the steering wheel back to centre. I'm used to them staying on until you're close to centre but this releases pretty much as soon as you start turning the wheel the other way..
Build quality and panel alignments have been noted before on the MD. I haven't looked closely at one but it is a recurring theme.

As for the indicator cancelling pretty much every car i have ever owned has cancelled as soon as the wheel goes the other way. A pain when turning right at roundabouts. I tend to keep a finger on the stalk in the direction I'm turning and you feel it click as it tries to cancel
2002 BMW R1150GS
Old 23-09-2018, 08:31 PM   #288
Cralis

2017 Sept build Mondeo wagon diesel Trend. From the first week, misty damn smell when ever the air con starts or the fan blows when the car starts. Horrible smell. Been to ford 3 times. No fault found. Told it’s all good. 10 months later same problem. Never stopped but ford believe it’s a-ok.

Front feels lose on bumps. Ford found no problem. Noticed a week before it’s 15k service that the front left when is stuffed. Outside of tire is bald. Rest of the wheel is ok. Others all ok. Ford noted it and did the service. No fault found. Just rotated wheels. Clearly something not right.

Lane assistance does a little vibrate but compared to the Everest I drive before (2016), lane assist doesn’t work. Got a curtosy car for the service. Mondeo Trend petrol. Lane assist is perfect. It’s a 2018 build though. Was lane assist improved?

Sync is a joke. I’ll leave it there.

Aircon fails me sometimes. But never when at the dealership. Just blows a fan. Even with temps sent down to 18.5. Car stays hot inside. Happens maybe once every two weeks. Told ford. No fault found.

And then the damn windows. I’m in Brisbane. When it’s hot but maybe humid, and the aircon is on, front window gets condensation on outside. Until I can’t see. Need windscreen wipers to clear. And need to wipe every minute. In hot dry conditions. Told ford. No fault. It’s because “it’s a premium car and the aircon is very good” I’m told. Crazy.
South Africa VW Golf 1.9TDi
Australia: VW Golf 1.9TDi, Holden Captiva, Ford Territory 2011 TS RWD Diesel (Sold June '15), Ford Territory 2015 TS RWD Diesel (Sold Dec '17), Ford Mondeo 17.5 Trend Wagon
Cralis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2018, 07:04 AM   #289
asteele-xr6

Drivers side wiper arm would make the most annoying squeak, went in for two services and they would "fix it" - but their fix would last a week at best.

I set myself the challenge of fixing this myself and was able to quickly determine that the large rubber moulding which runs along the base of the window and has two circular holes cut out for the wiper fixing to rotate from was not correctly fitted, which meant that the drivers side wiper arm wasn't centred in the hole and was rubbing on the edge instead - and this is where the squeak was coming from. 43,000km and 2 minutes later and having used a sharp craft knife to cut away a some of the rubber, and all fixed!
asteele-xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #290
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Folks '15 MD Tit. went dead flat....again.

This is the second time but this time the dashcam weren't plugged in and it had been sitting there for a number of days as they were using the ute. New battery sourced and it's sitting there to see if it's happening again before going back to the dealership, it's had it's last warranty check up/service so next person to get their hands on it will be me to investigate why the battery goes flat. Probably nothing (aside from user error) but will see.
Old 25-09-2018, 08:08 AM   #291
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you locking it, Cobrin?
There is a fair bit of parasitic drain from cross-chat if not shut down.
Moondust silver
Frozen white

Previous
1995 Camry 2.2, white
Old 25-09-2018, 11:00 AM   #292
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

I believe it were as the mirrors were tucked in.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #293
byrnzy
Starter Motor

Hi All,

2007 MA Zetec 158k - unfortunately during the heat in Sydney the other week, got considerably hot, temperature gauge moved from its normal 90 reading to 120.

Was able to get it to a mechanic safely, with the error code P0480, which is a faulty Cooling Fan Control. Whole new fan had to be installed, and Ford apparently stated "This is a common issue, we get a few of these each week". So that was a positive, it meant it was in stock.

Fan has since been replaced, significant change in fan speed during the heat, and the function of fan staying on after turning off engine on hot days has returned. Not cheap tho, just under a grand installed.

One of the indicators in hindsight that may isolate this issue faster, the gearbox during the fortnight prior in similar hot conditions tended to hold a gear for a very long time, and did the change at a considerably higher rev. May have just been coincidental, but it may help another owner out there.

Thanks
byrnzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #294
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by byrnzy View Post
Hi All,

Fan has since been replaced, significant change in fan speed during the heat, and the function of fan staying on after turning off engine on hot days has returned. Not cheap tho, just under a grand installed.
Yeah mine were faulty but not enough to throw a CEL, the tell-tail sign for me were the AC would trip out and blow hot air (were out on the HWY at the time). A scan showed the AC temp high and that led to the Fan controller. As you know the bloody controller can't be bought separately so new fan/cowling assembly totalling $950 fitted had squared it away:

https://fordforums.com.au/showpost.p...&postcount=117

So good to have it behind me, 2yrs later not an issue since.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:22 PM   #295
blue17
Starter Motor

MA 2008 Diesel.
Had to have hydraulic power steering filter replaced as it was clogged, fluid very dirty, and frothing. Was not a simple fix as could not just replace filter and cost about $800. Not exactly sure why it had a filter and what the source of contamination was.

MD 2016 Trend Petrol.
Three times had engine fault light come on. After various resets and updates had cat converter replaced under warranty. No issues since.

Just had steering wheel replaced as "leather" was coming off. Replaced under warranty and told not to wear sharp objects. I don't even wear a ring! Drivers airbag replaced at same time

Annoying is the radio resets to NOVA when the EBA light comes on. Also headlights are a bit poor at night.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #296
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The steering wheel is a known issue with Ford. They cannot handle the heat in summer. My old MD trend had 3 wheels replaced in 2 years 70,000kms. Our company have about 20 and they have all done it. We know get VW Passats due to this issue and the resale.
gsd112 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2018, 12:51 PM   #297
blue17
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsd112 View Post
The steering wheel is a known issue with Ford. They cannot handle the heat in summer. My old MD trend had 3 wheels replaced in 2 years 70,000kms. Our company have about 20 and they have all done it. We know get VW Passats due to this issue and the resale.
The dealer said that this one was the first one they had seen. As with most dealers you need to take what they say with a big grain of salt.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:03 PM   #298
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Well my folks 2015 MD steering wheel is okay, and they're in the Tropics with temps of 30's and high humidity the majority of the time. That being said it gets a clean a few times a year when the whole exterior/interior gets done.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #299
evanlau
Starter Motor

My MD 2018.25 Trend Petrol has recently developed a rattle that comes from somewhere near/behind the instrument panel/steering column, when driving over rough roads. The thought of going thru the motions of talking to a dealer - "can't replicate it", having to take them on a specific road to hear it, then "can't find the source". Anyone else had anything similar?
evanlau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2018, 04:30 PM   #300
manchu

I've managed to stuff up the drivers door on my MC a little. I park facing downward on a slope at home and occasionally when getting in/out the door will swing fully open due to gravity and hit the travel stop.

The travel stop is a metal tab built into the hinge and has started to deform. The door now opens almost to 90 degrees.

I guess I can't complain too much about it because it's self inflicted, but if it had the metal strap type stops that many cars have I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have this problem.