Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 11-12-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
waterskier

Default WT oil change

Tried to find a filter for my WT today tried supercheap,repco and autobarn with no luck has anyone on here purchased a non OEM filter for these cars?

waterskier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
trumpy73

Default Re: WT oil change

don't bother with OEM, the genuine from ford is only $9.
I spent a long time trying to find one and eventually did from autopro but that's before I called ford and realised there's is cheaper (rare occurrence).
trumpy73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
jerryaus

r u sure that only $9 from dealer?

I will change the oil with my own, they don't change it in first inspection service, but I think it is better to do so..
jerryaus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
trumpy73

Yes I'm sure. It may have even been cheaper. I was surprised too. And this is Perth, the rip-off city so if you're over east it may be cheaper.

The genuine filter didn't look anything special. No box no nothing. Just a filter with a plastic cover (similar to take away coffee cups) .

The first 'inspection' service is not a service. Just a 3 second tyre kicking job. It's mostly a CON to get you back into the dealership's service dept so they brainwash you into bringing the car back for subsequent services at exorbitant prices ;) Those rented coffee machines don't pay for themselves.
Old 15-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Trumpy - exactly - their 'fixed' price for the 45K service is $285, for an oil change - no air, no fuel filter, no plugs, just an oil change (with cheap non-synthetic oil too, worth $15 @ Repco).

Alternatively, you could buy the best synthetic oil for around $60 and pay $80 for an hour's labour at your trusted local mechanic who has been there for years as opposed to having an apprentice work on your car.....

Seriously, anyone who takes their car to a dealer for service is just burning money.
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #6
waterskier

Well i picked a new filter up at the local Ford dealer $11.20 including GST...
Must admit I was somewhat surprised as it is a replaceable element that goes inside the canister attached to the engine... not what I had expected at all.
Old 15-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
waterskier

Just went and checked under the car..... you guessed it standard style screw on oil filter, back to the dealer again tomorrow to get the correct one photos in hand to prove it has this style of filter on it. I did question them when they gave it to me they then proceeded to show me the canister style filter on there parts system???
Old 16-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #8
waterskier

well went back yo the dealer and surprise surprise they had given me the diesel oil filter... very sorry and the cost is now only $8.90
Old 03-01-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

8.90 sounds right for the Ford filter, You can't get filters from Repco yet, I tried because my Ford dealer had none (really they did but didn't realise it) just before Christmas and the filter was still a few weeks away
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #10
Dgalle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
Trumpy - exactly - their 'fixed' price for the 45K service is $285, for an oil change - no air, no fuel filter, no plugs, just an oil change (with cheap non-synthetic oil too, worth $15 @ Repco).

Alternatively, you could buy the best synthetic oil for around $60 and pay $80 for an hour's labour at your trusted local mechanic who has been there for years as opposed to having an apprentice work on your car.....

Seriously, anyone who takes their car to a dealer for service is just burning money.
While I don't disagree with you, A ford service also includes 12 months roadside assistance for free, NRMA charge about $100 for that, so the true cost of te service is around $185

2010 WT Fiesta Zetec, phantom blue.
Dgalle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Ford roadside assistance is just a marketing gimmick, right up there with extended warranty and dealer applied paint protection: good luck finding a Ford "service" vehicle to assist you when you're stuck in the middle of nowhere; while the NRMA has thousands of vehicles and wait times of an hr max... wouldn't really count it as a $100 bonus.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:31 AM   #12
jerryaus

just bought the mobil super 2000 semi oil from online cost me: $37 (1LX6), I think we only need 4L for that, but they sale in box, anyway it is cheap.

they don't change the oil in first 3000km service, so I like to do it by myself, it is common sense that it has to be done when 3000 on the clock~
jerryaus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterskier
well went back yo the dealer and surprise surprise they had given me the diesel oil filter...
Why does this not surprise me ...

And these are the same muppets that claim to be the "experts" for your Ford ... yea right!
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 02:18 AM   #14
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Ford roadside assistance is just a marketing gimmick, right up there with extended warranty and dealer applied paint protection: good luck finding a Ford "service" vehicle to assist you when you're stuck in the middle of nowhere; while the NRMA has thousands of vehicles and wait times of an hr max... wouldn't really count it as a $100 bonus.

They will send the NRMA or whoever is the carrier in the state.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
Dgalle

Quote:
My wife's work car is a Toyota and has Toyota road side assistance. We have used it twice, first time an Allianz roadside guy came, the second time it was NRMA. I would assume Fors has a similar system, outsourcing roadside assistance to the nearest provider.

Old 09-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #16
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhcbm
They will send the NRMA or whoever is the carrier in the state.
Yep .. Mitsubishi do the same thing, they use the NRMA in NSW, RACQ in Qld etc for their roadside assistance.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #17
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Ah, so I assume that if, like 95% of motorists, you already have roadside assistance via NRMA or some similar organisation, then Ford will take $100 off the bill?
Old 09-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #18
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Quote:
Ah, so I assume that if, like 95% of motorists, you already have roadside assistance via NRMA or some similar organisation, then Ford will take $100 off the bill?
You could try, probably depends on the dealer. I'm getting mine serviced on Friday so I'll try and find out because I already have NRMA anyway.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #19
trumpy73

no chance. it doesn't cost them $100. It can be worth $100 for a customer with no breakdown service elsewhere.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #20
Dgalle

I don't have NRMA, as until getting the fiesta we only had a work car (and
I ride a motorbike). So for me it's worth getting
Ford to service the car and include roadside assistance. Bu obviously it isn't of you already are a NRMA member

Old 18-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #21
josem

Quote:
Trumpy - Seriously, anyone who takes their car to a dealer for service is just burning money.
But how about during the warranty period if you have mechanical problem ? Will showing them a receipt from repco for oil and filter be enough proof ?
josem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #22
trumpy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by josem
But how about during the warranty period if you have mechanical problem ? Will showing them a receipt from repco for oil and filter be enough proof ?
showing just a receipt, although technically enough will leave you open for interpretation and unnecessary legwork. The best way is to buy your own oil/filter, take it to your local mechanic, pay him $$ to change and stamp your book. Keep stamp+receipts in safe place. No dealer can legally decline that.

In my case Catrol Edge +Filter cost me $65, then I paid my mechanic $50 to change it. Total $115.
My local dealer was asking for $320 for the same service.
Old 18-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #23
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Exactly what trumpy said: to maintain your warranty you only need your car serviced by a qualified mechanic. Despite what Ford may try to tell you it will not jepodise the warranty. Generally, independent mechanics are a third of the price of Ford: find a local mechanic who's been around for years and you'll save hundreds every year.