Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-03-2017, 04:04 PM   #1
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Internet Providers

Who are people using for their internet?

I've been with Optus for years and generally happy, but for the better part of this year my ADSL has been barely on dial up speed... just about impossible to ring a support line without waiting for an hour on hold. Of course you ring the "new connection" number you are instantly talking to a person...

I'm also still paying my ADSL $$$ every month...

Thinking it's time to move on an go elsewhere, so looking for advice and experiences. I'm guessing most are no different as they all your the same lines and systems..but hoping there is better than Optus..
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2017, 05:24 PM   #2
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Default Re: Internet Providers

I'm using iiNet and I can't remember ever having a problem with them.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2017, 05:30 PM   #3
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Up until last month I would have suggested using Adam as they have been brilliant.

iiNet then bought them out and after 23 days without internet last month I am still in communication with them for an explanation and an adjustment to the bill.
BTW, their billing system still works perfectly.

Over 3 weeks of frustration, emails, phonecalls, on hold, etc.

You're unhappy about waiting an hour?
I got a callback after joining a queue about 90minutes after the initial contact. During that support call I was hung up on and then placed back to the end of the queue with a now 4+ hour wait. That was call #1 so not a great start.

Todays email to them was not polite, included the word ombudsman, and they replied with contradicting incorrect information giving me the impression they have no idea what the current status is.... *sigh
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-03-2017, 05:34 PM   #4
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
I'm using iiNet and I can't remember ever having a problem with them.

Please, tell me your secret.
You must be the sole customer that they look after.
Old 22-03-2017, 05:34 PM   #5
Trevor 57
is now there

Was with Optus for 100 years, moved to NBN and went with Dodo, very very happy, we have not had one issue right from the first phone call to them, through to installation - all ran perfectly and has been ever since. I don't know why everyone is not on Dodo

We are on an unlimited plan, home phone included but we pay for any calls we make on it - no biggie as we never use it. Having a VOIP phone number has stopped all the Indians calling us - YES!!!!!!
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Please, tell me your secret.
You must be the sole customer that they look after.
Like you, I was previously with Adam internet (pretty sure Adam only covered SA) and was automatically switched to iiNet.

No secrets to tell, I just haven't had any issues.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2017, 05:42 PM   #7
.:4:.
Kicking back

I used to have optus cable and it was reliable and we never had an issue dealing with them. My mum has tpg adsl and its had its moments of being hit and miss. Not that this is your issue at all, but part of what I do for a living is phone lines. You don't need to filter the modem, but you have to filter the phone. If you don't you will often hear clicking over the line and whenever you are on the phone at the same time as the interweb, the speed will drop down to 2mbps, or around that area. Only when on a call though. I have had instances of monitored alarm systems being installed and un filtered that in 1 case dropped the speed from 18mbps which is ok down to 2mbps which is slow enough to almost cripple a shipping company. Just some mind fuel.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2017, 05:50 PM   #8
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You say that you are using ADSL.
Is the NBN available to you?
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2017, 06:24 PM   #9
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We're currently with Telstra ADSL2+ but we average download speeds of 7- 10mbps, last night we achieved the fastest we've ever had with 12.65mbps. I've called iiNet to see if we can get cable, will find out today. A friend of ours is with them and he sent me a screenshot of his speeds, 265mbps!!

Don't count on the NBN, I have personally seen download speeds as low as 6mbps, and the performance was patchy at best.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #10
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
We're currently with Telstra ADSL2+ but we average download speeds of 7- 10mbps, last night we achieved the fastest we've ever had with 12.65mbps. I've called iiNet to see if we can get cable, will find out today. A friend of ours is with them and he sent me a screenshot of his speeds, 265mbps!!

Don't count on the NBN, I have personally seen download speeds as low as 6mbps, and the performance was patchy at best.
FML I have 0.5 mbps

Truely pathetic...gonna start making phone calls, if I connect to my samsung phone this is on Telstra I get 25 mbps.

keep the tips coming fellas..
Old 22-03-2017, 08:18 PM   #11
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
FML I have 0.5 mbps

Truely pathetic...gonna start making phone calls, if I connect to my samsung phone this is on Telstra I get 25 mbps.

Thats worse then when the pit on the street fills with water and shorts things out. Atleast they come and fix it. The maintenance on the copper network has declined to a degree with the nbn rollout, however the nbn isn't everywhere yet. Is it still a 3 grand install? I know that it's a cost rolled into the build price of new developments that already have it in the street.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2017, 09:01 PM   #12
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We are on an NBN with Optus and its been perfect so far.. We are on the unlimited plan with the higher speed and its never given us a Drama....

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2017, 09:37 PM   #13
pursuit57
mortgage free !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
We are on an NBN with Optus and its been perfect so far.. We are on the unlimited plan with the higher speed and its never given us a Drama....
Good to hear your happy so far, is your service fibre to premises FTTP or fibre to node FTTN & final connection is existing copper to house ?
From speaking to a lot of people connected already on nbn they are FTTN and the copper lines/service is pathetic due to water damage & poor infrastructure maintenance and speeds are worse than the ADSL they had - good initially then sloooow once everyone got on board.
Then conned into paying for faster level....
I'm still waiting and told only getting FTTN so be in the same boat I suspect.

Last edited by pursuit57; 22-03-2017 at 09:44 PM.
pursuit57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2017, 09:44 PM   #14
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
FML I have 0.5 mbps

Where abouts are you? Any idea how far from the exchange you are? My better halfs parents struggle with their internet as well, however due to their location there is jack they can do about it, the copper line has detereorated beyond repair however Telstra won't fix it. We can stream Netflix on a good night, where as they struggle to load a web page.

Gotta love Lara. When it comes to internet, both fixed and mobile we are, to quote Paul Keating, the ******** of the world.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2017, 09:45 PM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It all depends on location and infrastructure. Most NBN installs are only Fibre to the Node and still use Copper to the house on the existing infrastructure ... if there's issues with the copper back to the Node itself ... there's not going to be much change.

Then there are some providers that are suffering from congestion within their nework anyway to the DSLAMs ... and no matter what service you have ... will be restricted to what is available within the companies core network (risk analysis on the companies behalf and overall busy periods ... they just advise issues due to this and they can't do much ... as they don't want to spend $$$$$ to increase the infrastructure to that area)

One thing I noticed with Telstra in my area (after I managed to get them to provide a port for ADSL when they said there was none ... even though their Wholesale report on the site stated there were ports available in my area) is they advised they could only give me 8Mbps ... and it might only get to 3Mbps most of the time. So if you were an Actual TLS customer you just get the consumer grade crap ports. I went through my work and could actually get a wholesale customer port through their nearest DSLAM. I work for the 'Yes' company LOL.

Was given a 20Mbps port ... and can get that full speed all the time ... susprisingly. Along with my staff discounts as well.

Really ... it's luck of the draw .... my area is only serviced by TLS infrastructure ... so if you go through other ISPs it is Wholesaled out. But I do know TPG customers in the area can get no better than 1Mbps on their ADSL 2 connections. So it's more an issue within TPG's backend network.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2017, 09:46 PM   #16
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Internode here. I like Aussie call centres.

Happy with the service - but expensive due to ADSL.

No NBN here, it's Wait Awhile.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2017, 09:55 PM   #17
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Been with TPG adsl for around 10 years (NBN later this year - or maybe in my dreams). I chopped and changed a fair bit before getting to TPG.

TPG cops a bagging but I've never had to call them for assistance. Speeds are consistent and price is hard to beat.

YMMV

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2017, 09:56 PM   #18
pursuit57
mortgage free !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
I work for the 'Yes' company LOL. Was given a 20Mbps port ... and can get that full speed all the time ... susprisingly. Along with my staff discounts as well..
Good to hear someone is having a win, well done....
Any jobs going there
Old 22-03-2017, 10:08 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuit57 View Post
Good to hear someone is having a win, well done....
Any jobs going there
I was sceptical if I was going to have a WIN or not ... as I was only able to get internet via 3G for a while when i moved in there. Was lucky to get a port at all really (I had to push them at least ... thankfully i knew what to tell them to get it)

After being told that I wasn't going to get full port speed ... was a bit miffed ... but really ... going on everyone else's experiences ... was par for the course.

As for jobs ... not really much ... unless you are already internal. We've lost a fair chunk of people over the last couple of years as well.
Old 22-03-2017, 10:13 PM   #20
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was with Optus 3G a few years ago (stone age) - I noticed them and carriers using them assumed 1Gb=1000mb, and not 1024mb. Probably not an issue to large data batches, but did make a difference on lower quotas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pursuit57 View Post
is your service fibre to premises FTTP or fibre to node FTTN & final connection is existing copper to house ?From speaking to a lot of people connected already on nbn they are FTTN and the copper lines/service is pathetic due to water damage & poor infrastructure maintenance and speeds are worse than the ADSL they had - good initially then sloooow once everyone got on board.Then conned into paying for faster level.... I'm still waiting and told only getting FTTN so be in the same boat I suspect.
I'm not connected to the NBN, but on Sth Coast NSW, the cabling came through around mid year last year, and they installed Fibre up to the grey box at the house. The installers told me that is what they were doing while they had the budget, when the money runs out, that'll finish. Seemed a bit strange IIRC the coalition changed the policy to FTTN, and copper to the house. The copper network here is due to be switched off in early June.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2017, 10:25 PM   #21
pursuit57
mortgage free !

[QUOTE=Mechan1k;5902269] As for jobs ... not really much ... unless you are already internal. We've lost a fair chunk of people over the last couple of years as well.[/QUOTE

Nah all good, actually went for role few yrs back as Engineering Manager looking after gensets, HVAC n fire systems etc - said YES! but got a better $$ job...Just as well as think the YES role ended up being wiped after 18 months

Think this thread going to get lot busier as the NBN rollout continues and good to hear about the positives and negatives..
Old 22-03-2017, 11:37 PM   #22
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Where abouts are you? Any idea how far from the exchange you are? My better halfs parents struggle with their internet as well, however due to their location there is jack they can do about it, the copper line has detereorated beyond repair however Telstra won't fix it. We can stream Netflix on a good night, where as they struggle to load a web page.

Gotta love Lara. When it comes to internet, both fixed and mobile we are, to quote Paul Keating, the ******** of the world.
30 minute dive from Sydney CBD...

Checked my NBN status...FKNLOL..

Quote:
nbnTM will be coming to your area, however construction is not expected to commence for at least another three years.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2017, 11:39 PM   #23
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:

I found my area said the same ... TLS tech advised that Node already has fibre to it ... they just haven't switched it all over yet ... they were going to finish Katoomba before they came back in to finish other areas off.
Old 23-03-2017, 12:12 AM   #24
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Not for Stefan (as you're in sydney cbd) but for others if you are anywhere in Geelong/Ballarat/Mildura, or some parts of Lara, I would recommend iinet cable internet. Very fast and more reliable then the ADSL in most areas (drop outs etc.)

The new cable modem they give you will peak at 500Mbps download and 60-80Mbps upload. They have uncapped the network for the moment so its pretty fast.

My current cable modem is the older version and it peaks at 270Mbps/60Mbps, but is usually around 160/60... Go for it if you can!

Last edited by baboon; 23-03-2017 at 12:23 AM.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2017, 12:47 AM   #25
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Telstra. For the most part great! But when it rains boy does it rain. Took me 6 weeks to get an internet connection when I moved here because they thought my location was an empty block, even though I was talking to them from my lounge room.

Pro tip with Telstra, avoid getting shaped and enquire about a better deal. I just upgraded from 200 gig per month to 500 gig for the same price - that deal other customers have had for years, lol.

And Before you call their support line, take plenty of deep breathes.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2017, 01:45 AM   #26
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Better yet ... go to an ISP that doesn't throttle/shape at all. Cap/month is old and antiquated. Should have been made rid of LONG ago.
Old 23-03-2017, 10:11 AM   #27
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Email is the only way to go when dealing with an ISP.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-03-2017, 10:27 AM   #28
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Telstra internet with FTTN.A few hiccups early but now all fixed.$80 month landline and internet.We are on some sort of premium customer system where we get to talk to an Aussie if ever have problems.Are using a small Co called Spidertel also Aussie$33 yr service fee
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2017, 10:36 AM   #29
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:

Well, I just checked and suddenly it appears that I'm getting NBN next month!

Last time I checked we were same as you - not even scheduled!
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2017, 12:39 PM   #30
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Like you, I was previously with Adam internet (pretty sure Adam only covered SA) and was automatically switched to iiNet.

No secrets to tell, I just haven't had any issues.
Yes I think you are correct, Adam was SA only.
Was nice to have some Aussies sitting in the CBD to assist you.

Your last comment highlights something to me in that for a while there iiNet gave me no problems either. Because there wasn't any issue for them to resolve.

Generally when your internet is up and running, life is sweet. No dramas, you browse the net and each month some money is transferred from us to them.
The truth of how good your ISP really is, is when things go pearshaped and its their support staff that you now need to rely on.
2 users like this post: