Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #61
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Mustang supercar breaks cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
and don't nascars look even more woeful, not a good sample.
at least the front end is instantly recognisable as Mustang. I don't know what car the Supercar is supposed to be, because it's definitely no pony
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #62
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Heres the look of a NASCAR Mustang
https://autoweek.com/article/monster...rgy-cup-series

Sorry I cant post pictures anymore,

[EDIT=Raptor, yes you can]
Oh dear .......

That is terrible
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2018, 07:23 PM   #63
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch View Post
No personel attack Bent
just my take on the discussion from a number of threads

When I look at those two pictures, if I follow the white panel sticker all the way down the front guard on the supercars render, it looks like nearly the same angle/distance to the headlight on the cammoed car.

Im thinking the cammo job is doing what its supposed to do. Hiding the real car in plain view
All that suggests is that the render is not as removed from the real thing as what they've ended up with.
Its a subtle step away and the racecar is a further step away again.

Its a flattering angle to begin with and doesnt give a very good perspective of the rise in the roofline and if you look at the rear wing on both you can see the render is much shorter in the endplate than the actual racecar.

Hey, if it wins races good luck to them, but its a hideous looking thing the result of trying to make it out of something its not and the very reason Holden teams canned the Camaro.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #64
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Why don't they just race real Mustangs and Camaros?

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #65
Guzz226

COTF and controlled chassis
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2018, 11:11 AM   #66
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

You would have thought that with COTF chassis and cgi/cad designing, they could have mocked up the panels on the computer well before fabrication to make sure things were going to look right.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2018, 11:57 AM   #67
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
I wonder what a dual cab Ranger would look like adapted to the control chassis.

At least it has the high roof to start with and people actually buy them.

[EDIT]
Here's one from SpeedCafe back in 2014 (It's nothing like the racing diseasals we ending up with either)

That could be what a 2019 ford lightning looks like!
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2018, 11:59 AM   #68
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez you're a hard bunch to please sometimes, always sticking the boot into the brand you supposedly follow at every opportunity. I's a controlled chassis and they did their best to fit the semblance of a mustang body shell over it. Have a look at a Nascar and tell me how close that is to a mustang , not very close but it conforms to their rules and Ford signed off on it.
If the geniuses amongst you can do any better, within the rules, then you're wasting your time doing whatever you do Ford Performance Division needs you forthwith. Some of their brightest engineers have collaborated on this car and i for one think they have done a great job. Don't you think they would have copied the road car if the rules allowed ? but they don't so get over it and enjoy what I hope is going to be like the original trans ams .... a very successful race car.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #69
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai
Its not a Mustang.

Not a Mustang body or coyote engine. Is a purpose designed body kit made to fit control chassis with control v8 race engine, aero tuned to win races.

Been massaged to fake and attempt to look like a "Mustang"- for commercial reasons, which it is not.
Just like every other car that races in Supercars. They also had to slice and dice the ZB, and swap the engine and driveline out to a configuration it was never manufactured with.

The whole series is a sham. They are purpose built race cars that share basically nothing with the road cars.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2018, 03:57 PM   #70
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Instantly recognisable as a Mustang to me! I think it looks great and will be even better when it rolls out in the liveries next year.
Old 09-11-2018, 07:35 PM   #71
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Oh dear .......

That is terrible
It is .. Makes the Supercars version look great actually And the headlights on the Aussie one work too unlike these neanderthals ..I hate Nascars with a passion ..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2018, 07:58 PM   #72
xeeclipse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
It is .. Makes the Supercars version look great actually And the headlights on the Aussie one work too unlike these neanderthals ..I hate Nascars with a passion ..
Don't tell me that you also resent the 900hp sitting under the hood?? Kind of explains why the budget could only allow for a VB carton body..
xeeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #73
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Why don't they just race real Mustangs and Camaros?
Probably because they stopped racing production cars in the 1980s.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #74
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Really it isn’t Fords fault at all with regards to how it looks (which to me is fine), it’s Supercars. They knew Falcon and the Aussie Commodore were on the way out, they knew the most likely replacements would be two door coupes and they still didn’t design the rules to fit this scenario. I’m betting there is no way Nissan would have raced Altimas if the rules were biased, or at least allowed for, 2 door coupes. Probably Mercedes too would have raced a 2 door rather than the E Class.

So I don’t know why so many here are directing their issues towards Ford when Ford have to work within rules and regulations set by the governing body.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2018, 04:02 PM   #75
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Really it isn’t Fords fault at all with regards to how it looks (which to me is fine), it’s Supercars. They knew Falcon and the Aussie Commodore were on the way out, they knew the most likely replacements would be two door coupes and they still didn’t design the rules to fit this scenario. I’m betting there is no way Nissan would have raced Altimas if the rules were biased, or at least allowed for, 2 door coupes. Probably Mercedes too would have raced a 2 door rather than the E Class.

So I don’t know why so many here are directing their issues towards Ford when Ford have to work within rules and regulations set by the governing body.
But they arent, the new commodore and Altima are 4 door sedans, its only Ford who've chosen to put a 2 door coupe body on a 4 door sedan derived control chassis, they could have run Mondeo body's, the Altima is not Nissans motorsport hero, its just the body used to promote the brand in the local catagory.
There's 3 manufacteres in the series, why would they change the rules to suit 1/3rd of them, Holden looked at the Camaro and made the correct decision to leave it off the table under current regulations.

The way i see it Ford had 3 choices, continue with the FGX in the short term and lobby for change to the chassis design, run the Mondeo in the short term and lobby for change to the chassis design or run a visually compromised Mustang.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:58 PM   #76
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
But they arent, the new commodore and Altima are 4 door sedans, its only Ford who've chosen to put a 2 door coupe body on a 4 door sedan derived control chassis, they could have run Mondeo body's, the Altima is not Nissans motorsport hero, its just the body used to promote the brand in the local catagory.
There's 3 manufacteres in the series, why would they change the rules to suit 1/3rd of them, Holden looked at the Camaro and made the correct decision to leave it off the table under current regulations.

The way i see it Ford had 3 choices, continue with the FGX in the short term and lobby for change to the chassis design, run the Mondeo in the short term and lobby for change to the chassis design or run a visually compromised Mustang.
Why would they run Mondeo bodies when it isn’t available with a V8 or any performance engine for that matter, and sells sweet fa every month? Why would they continue to run Falcons when it has been dead three years by the end of next season?

And you misread what I said. If the rules allowed for coupes in the first place, Holden would have run the Camaro, Nissan would have run either the 370Z or GT-R, Mercedes might have run one of their coupes and Ford would have run a more visually appealing ( to some) Mustang.

Ford announced Falcon was dead in 2013, the writing was on the wall for the Commodore after that. Supercars had 4 years to come up with something but didn’t.

Supercars stuffed up. Not Ford.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2018, 05:13 PM   #77
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

This is why I don't watch V8 Supercars anymore, it's a contrived racing formula
a counterfeit of what used to be...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #78
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
Probably because they stopped racing production cars in the 1980s.
Who stopped?

Production car racing never stopped.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2018, 06:11 PM   #79
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Supercars didnt really think the COTF chassis through properly, while it eorked to start off with, it isn't future proof. Their should have been a chassis change when the Gen2 COTF ruels were implemented in 2016 allowing at least a change in the rear hoop height and placememt, as part of the Gen2 intentions was to allow coupes to race.

The chassis isnt due to be changed until 2022...

\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 11-11-2018, 07:15 PM   #80
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Why would they run Mondeo bodies when it isn’t available with a V8 or any performance engine for that matter, and sells sweet fa every month? Why would they continue to run Falcons when it has been dead three years by the end of next season?

And you misread what I said. If the rules allowed for coupes in the first place, Holden would have run the Camaro, Nissan would have run either the 370Z or GT-R, Mercedes might have run one of their coupes and Ford would have run a more visually appealing ( to some) Mustang.

Ford announced Falcon was dead in 2013, the writing was on the wall for the Commodore after that. Supercars had 4 years to come up with something but didn’t.

Because its no longer model specific, its about brand marketing, when frosty won the 2015 flag people didnt rush out to buy Falcons and they wont rush out to buy Mustang if it dominates next year, the people who follow the series know its not the real thing, they have allegiances to the brand and thats what Supercars wants and has done for probably a decade.

No i didnt misread what you wrote at all, you're trying to say Supercars should have considered 1/3rd of its brand participants and another brand which would conflict with its biggest drawcard when forward planning
The current chassis suits 3/4 of the field, its perfectly adequate for its current purpose, the only issue lies with a bit player whose trying to shoehorn a sedan specific control chassis into a coupe's proportions.

Australias premier racing catagory did away with coupe racing 26years ago, should it return, probably, will it return, probably, should it be now because one brand doesnt offer a 4 door car it wants to utilise for brand marketing, no.

Last edited by BENT_8; 11-11-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:27 PM   #81
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Good post AG,

That rubbish about Holden Considering and canning Camaro as an option is made up BS by the usual BS’ers.

Holden only EVER considered Commodore ( they wanted to use the legacy they had with their racing history and the Commodore name).

The Camaro is not a Holden branded vehicle - surprise !!!

In fact they wanted to run a Turbo V6 Commodore until they found it would cost too much, and required some actual R&D (not just a cut and shut with what they were already running - as it turned out).

Having said that, I enjoyed Group A and its variety.

This Supercar stuff is boring and the Mustang looks ugly in that camo ( I hope it looks better in its real livery’s).
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2018, 07:54 PM   #82
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Yep, Holden had no interest in the Camaro, it wanted to marketvthe Commodore. Not to mention that Holden dont sell the camaro...and was never going to come here if it wasn't for HSV.

\≡≡T≡≡/
3 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2018, 07:55 PM   #83
4stanger