Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-11-2018, 11:12 PM   #31
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Mustang supercar breaks cover

the roof looks really high!
hmm.. not too sure about that.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2018, 12:02 AM   #32
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
I think the Mustangs being a lower car (overall height wise) than the Falcons (70mm less in stock form), will give it a great advantage in handling and cornering in the Supercars series next year, especially after the teams work their suspension magic.
Racecar 100mm higher fit with regulations apparently. Narrower too.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:11 AM   #33
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarite_guy View Post
The wing is probably improving some functionality, yet to be understood by us observers.

Hope it runs well.
More like to draw your attention away from the rest of...it
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #34
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
More like to draw your attention away from the rest of...it
LOL. An old Jr Johnson trick, but for cheating purposes.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2018, 10:30 AM   #35
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura View Post
.... Really don't know what the Ford teams can do to make it look any better.
Run it in a different category

That blue camo thing is hideous

Nothing like the renders SC released on announcement;

Ref: https://www.supercars.com/news/champ...rcars-renders/

Last edited by Raptor; 08-11-2018 at 10:40 AM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2018, 10:53 AM   #36
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To all those commenting on the proportions, you do realize the supercars all sit on the same chassis and are quite different to the original cars.

Fixed chassis design and specification. All chassis are dimensionally identical, but different accredited vehicle builders can construct them.

But they do a better job than NASCAR which just use stickers for grills & lights
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #37
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All the usual nay sayers upon the release of something new - as Bevsta has mentioned, the mustang has been fitted to a controlled chassis and will not look anything like the road version.

I'll bide my time and wait and see what it does on the track, should be exciting times to come.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2018, 11:16 AM   #38
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
To all those commenting on the proportions, you do realize the supercars all sit on the same chassis and are quite different to the original cars.

Fixed chassis design and specification. All chassis are dimensionally identical, but different accredited vehicle builders can construct them.

But they do a better job than NASCAR which just use stickers for grills & lights
Yes but this is the first time a 2 door sports car with a lower profile has been used and so far the difference is much more noticeable as opposed to the previous Forlden 4 door sedan cars. It may look better from different angles and without the camo so we will just have to wait and see.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #39
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:

Several years ago while the COF (as it was referred to then) chassis was in the initial design phase, I had an opportunity to review some of the engineering tech journals. Although the design approach, all in all looked well thought out, I came away with the same impression as when reviewing the COT (Car Of Tomorrow) during a similar period of development.

I understand how this move helps standardize scrutineering and in many ways safety, yet as I predicted in nascar, this move took the CAR out of Automobile racing. Likewise, the same regarding engineering ingenuity.

In the mind of brian france, the ideal nascar race is a field of flintsone mobiles moving around the track via the drivers sneaker power. Who cares about the cars, in the mind of many, it all about the driver willing their mundane car, whatever make and model it may be, to exceed the laws of physics only a camera ready driver can do.

Not long after, other than remaining abreast of specific engineering aspects of nascar I lost all other interest.

Unfortunately, the COF/COTF does the same for those who appreciate the significant role the CAR plays in Automobile racing.

Apologies. That is an old soapbox rant that has been with me for a while.

Stepping down now.

Last edited by solarite_guy; 08-11-2018 at 11:27 AM.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #40
xeeclipse
Banned

Quote:

Understand the fixed chassis concept but why not allow for the factory

overhang in regards to panelwork and track width? Can any advantage just

be offset by dead weights like back in the group C days??

Funny how 40 years of development has passed and they still aren't any faster

than the flying brick aka.... XY GTHO.
xeeclipse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2018, 12:00 PM   #41
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

Huh, what do you mean?
I thought they just rang up the good ol' boys in America and asked for a few extra welds down the line to stiffen her up i little..

Thanks for the tech lesson, but yes, i am familiar with how a modern supercar for our catagory is constructed, i also know why the red teams ditched the Camaro concept, because under the current chassis requirements, it looked rediculous.
The difference being, the blue teams have pushed ahead regardless and guess what, it looks rediculous, go figure.

Quote:
Yes, they did in the past, however, this thing looks more NASCAR than any other rendition in history, ironic considering who's paying the bills dont you think..
Old 08-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #42
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, they did in the past, however, this thing looks more NASCAR than any other rendition in history, ironic considering who's paying the bills dont you think..
Falcon is gone - what do people think is going to take it's place - far better the mustang NASCAR car of the future than no Ford at all.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2018, 12:35 PM   #43
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr View Post
Falcon is gone - what do people think is going to take it's place - far better the mustang NASCAR car of the future than no Ford at all.
Yes and no, i believe they should have held off for another year and put pressure on the governing body to look at a chassis developed with 2 door vehicles in mind, then the red mob could have gone ahead with Camaro.

I think with ZB sales not quite reaching the lofty heights they envisioned it would be fair to assume it isnt the saviour or really relevant to motorsport fans.
Obviously the red mob want some return for their investment in developing the ZB for racing but with another year under their belts i believe a transition to a chassis designed to suit 2 door cars would have been easier to get across the line.
How cool would it be to see Mustang's that look like Mustang's V's Camaro's that looks like Camaro's on the grid in Adelaide in 2020.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:43 PM   #44
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Not me Roddy, i didnt even consider FGX when looking at it, i just looked at what was presented and saw more NASCAR than Supercar, it is the furthest from the original car than any car in V8's history from my perspective.
At least it's a RWD V8, and not some pos FWD V6 turned into a V8 RWD.

The ZB is the furtherest from the original car, and the Altima too I guess. Cause they have been turned into configurations that they aren't available in.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2018, 12:46 PM   #45
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

The ZB is the furtherest from the original car, and the Altima too I guess. Cause they have been turned into configurations that they aren't available in.
Visually.

This thread is about the Mustangs reveal, which sort of indicates its about its appearance, i havent seen any reference to technical specs other than dimensions.

But deflect away.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:50 PM   #46
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Visually.

This thread is about the Mustangs reveal, which sort of indicates its about its appearance, i havent seen any reference to technical specs other than dimensions.

But deflect away.
Deflect

I didn't say it looked good.

But at least you can buy it as a RWD V8.
This user likes this post:
Old 08-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #47
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
But at least you can buy it as a RWD V8.
Does it come in shortened wheelbase with high roofline too..

Mustang Highlander...coming to a Hyundai dealer near you
Old 08-11-2018, 01:04 PM   #48
mitch

Cmon boys honestly take a breath!!!

Its a race car that has to fit on a control chassis, that's the rules. While it does look a bit different to the road car, what race car doesn't look a bit different.
Remember that at least we have a Ford to race for us. A Ford is a Ford is a Ford.
What does the other side of the divide have??? A peugeot/opel hipsters hybrid with a chevy engine.

Im sure the mustang will look great behind the 1st place boards next year

P.S. im still gonna miss the FG/FGX next year, but life marches on
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #49
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch View Post
Cmon boys honestly take a breath!!!

Its a race car that has to fit on a control chassis, that's the rules. While it does look a bit different to the road car, what race car doesn't look a bit different.
Remember that at least we have a Ford to race for us. A Ford is a Ford is a Ford.
What does the other side of the divide have??? A peugeot/opel hipsters hybrid with a chevy engine.

Im sure the mustang will look great behind the 1st place boards next year

P.S. im still gonna miss the FG/FGX next year, but life marches on
Totally agreed, at no point have i questioned its abilities, i've simply put forward an opionion on what ive seen and how i feel they should have held off until it could be made to look better.
Only 1 person rolled into a thread about a cars visual apearance banging on about whats under the bonnet of the rivals donor cars and which wheels drive it with derogatory comments.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #50
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I actually expected Ford to be using the Mondeo, as I didn't think Ford US would allow the Mustang.

But I guess with Mondeo's future being bleak what other options are there.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:34 PM   #51
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FFS it's not a beauty contest it's a race car. It will be great at what it's designed to do. Who cares what it looks like when it's at the front of the pack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #52
mitch

No personel attack Bent
just my take on the discussion from a number of threads

When I look at those two pictures, if I follow the white panel sticker all the way down the front guard on the supercars render, it looks like nearly the same angle/distance to the headlight on the cammoed car.

Im thinking the cammo job is doing what its supposed to do. Hiding the real car in plain view
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mustang-Test-7-11-2018-0313seqn.jpg (148.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg MustangRender7-900x600.jpg (88.4 KB, 29 views)
mitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #53
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Does it come in shortened wheelbase with high roofline too..

Mustang Highlander...coming to a Hyundai dealer near you
That's the rules big fella. What are they expected to do?
Old 08-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #54
xeeclipse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch View Post
No personel attack Bent
just my take on the discussion from a number of threads

When I look at those two pictures, if I follow the white panel sticker all the way down the front guard on the supercars render, it looks like nearly the same angle/distance to the headlight on the cammoed car.

Im thinking the cammo job is doing what its supposed to do. Hiding the real car in plain view
The bonnet looks a foot shorter due to the shorter wheelbase, it's just

ridiculous IMO.

Generation Z wouldn't know what a real v8 supercar is cause it died with the

AU, or the days when the big race used to start at the crack of dawn with

multiple categories on the grid and every man and dog would be glued to the

TV set cause the pride of their driveway was at stake.
3 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #55
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I wonder what a dual cab Ranger would look like adapted to the control chassis.

At least it has the high roof to start with and people actually buy them.

[EDIT]
Here's one from SpeedCafe back in 2014 (It's nothing like the racing diseasals we ending up with either)

Last edited by Raptor; 08-11-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2018, 02:43 PM   #56
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's the rules big fella. What are they expected to do?
Its not a Mustang.

Not a Mustang body or coyote engine. Is a purpose designed body kit made to fit control chassis with control v8 race engine, aero tuned to win races.

Been massaged to fake and attempt to look like a "Mustang"- for commercial reasons, which it is not.

There is another class of racing for cars that are standard road cars with some light limited modifications- problem is that such real Mustangs are then up against McLarens/Ferraris etc.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #57
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's one positive … the FGX goes down as the best looking Supercar of all.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #58
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heres the look of a NASCAR Mustang
https://autoweek.com/article/monster...rgy-cup-series

Sorry I cant post pictures anymore,

[EDIT=Raptor, yes you can]

Last edited by Raptor; 08-11-2018 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:07 PM   #59
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

and don't nascars look even more woeful, not a good sample.
Pony has to suit the control chassis such is life.
Lets see how it actually performs come 2019.
Camo hides alot, proper livery will change the look once again.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #60
xeeclipse
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
There's one positive … the FGX goes down as the best looking Supercar of all.
Out of all the bricks we ever hurled down conrod......she's the one

Attachment 100388

Last edited by xeeclipse; 02-01-2019 at 06:23 PM.