Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-11-2018, 06:53 PM   #31
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Driving lights V fog lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79F100 View Post
Biggest problem with all lights is adjustment.
Most people out on the open road at night are traveling a bit further than normal for them so are more likely to load up the boot. Worst offenders are normally 4x4 owners who seem to compensate for the added load by simply fitting brighter lights.
The amount of modern 4x4 vehicles that do not have even manually adjustable headlight height is unbelievable.
It's 2018, most cars should have auto adjustable ones by now.
I'm sure many people who do have manually adjustable headlights don't adjust them when they load up the back anyway.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2018, 09:28 PM   #32
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Are you sure they are factory?

They must dim to meet current ADR's. As mentioned, there are some technicalities with ways they can get around it depending on how the light functions, and its brightness, and how it's switched etc, but they still need to meet ADR's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I couldn't care less about front fog lights. 99% of them are fine and 1% are a bit too bright.

I cannot stand rear fog lights on clear nights. It makes me want to throw my high beam on while driving behind them. especially new cars with LED rear fog lights.

I haven't noticed that. Do you recall what models? All the cars I drive with stock DRLs either dim to be parking lights, or completely black out ones the headlights are switched on.

Here is one model that does not dim DRL which is just as bright as the headlights, Nissan QASHQAI
Not sure about the Mitsubishi ASX but its DRL looked very bright with headlights on.

An interesting article from Vicroads website might explain why DRL's are not dimmed
Quote:
Daytime running lights are designed to switch on automatically when the engine starts and switch off automatically when fog lights or headlights are switched on. Some vehicles have the ability to adjust daytime running lights to become part of the headlight system. They produce minimal glare in comparison to driving lights and fog lights when used correctly.
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safe...driving-lights

Last edited by Itsme; 05-11-2018 at 09:39 PM.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-11-2018, 10:48 PM   #33
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Here is one model that does not dim DRL which is just as bright as the headlights, Nissan QASHQAI
Not sure about the Mitsubishi ASX but its DRL looked very bright with headlights on.

An interesting article from Vicroads website might explain why DRL's are not dimmed

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safe...driving-lights
They should still dim. That's what the Vic roads quote is saying. Not all turn off, some adjust to be part of the headlight assembly. They should still dim.
Old 05-11-2018, 10:58 PM   #34
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
They should still dim. That's what the Vic roads quote is saying. Not all turn off, some adjust to be part of the headlight assembly. They should still dim.

I found no reference in the ADR to dimming but not disputing that but I've seen these two vehicles in the day and night and honestly if they do dim I cannot pick it.
With some oem DRL's on cars they are sure different to each other on their functions.

Cheers.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:09 PM   #35
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I found no reference in the ADR to dimming but not disputing that but I've seen these two vehicles in the day and night and honestly if they do dim I cannot pick it.
With some oem DRL's on cars they are sure different to each other on their functions.

Cheers.
Dimming is how the manufacturer gets around having them stay on. The ADR states they must turn off with headlights on. By dimming, they are no longer classed as a DRL. This is most cars that have them incorporated in the headlights.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:16 AM   #36
stig_3754

Quote:

Cheers.
Look at those cars at night without the headlights on and just the DRLs on and you'll see the difference. DRLs at night (fully powered, not dimmed) are dazzlingly bright.

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2018, 12:23 AM   #37
nstg8a

Given the myriad of different lighting options these days I really think most cops just put the fog light/drl/driving light issue in the too hard basket unless you fail the attitude test.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2018, 03:28 PM   #38
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig_3754 View Post
Look at those cars at night without the headlights on and just the DRLs on and you'll see the difference. DRLs at night (fully powered, not dimmed) are dazzlingly bright.
My pet hate is seeing people drive at night with DRLS only one ... thinking it's bright enough to not turn headlights on.

Not sure if they realise that tailights and numberplate lights do not light though ..... so on a dark road ... you don't see the back of said vehicle.

mainly new Honda Civics I see doing this.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-11-2018, 03:42 PM   #39
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post
My pet hate is seeing people drive at night with DRLS only one ... thinking it's bright enough to not turn headlights on.

Not sure if they realise that tailights and numberplate lights do not light though ..... so on a dark road ... you don't see the back of said vehicle.

Agreed. I shake my head every time I see this. Either they think their headlights are on automatically or they're just plain ignorant. I don't know which is worse.

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-11-2018, 05:01 PM   #40
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Dimming is how the manufacturer gets around having them stay on. The ADR states they must turn off with headlights on. By dimming, they are no longer classed as a DRL. This is most cars that have them incorporated in the headlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stig_3754

Thanks guys I understand what your saying, I was under the impression DRL always switch off or dimmed real low.
Must admit when I looked the Nissan QASHQAI the DRL was positioned to compliment the headlights when I viewed it the other night.

Cheers.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:51 PM   #41
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Agreed. I shake my head every time I see this. Either they think their headlights are on automatically or they're just plain ignorant. I don't know which is worse.
With modern cars, the dash lights are always on, as they come on with ignition, so there is a good chance these people aren't even aware they have no lights on. I realise most cars also have auto lights but it surprises me how many people clearly don't have them on that setting.

I do shift work and drive at night every day and I would see at least one car every day driving without lights on.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:14 PM   #42
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I believe it's because they throw light forward in every direction, while headlights aim the whole light beam lower.
DRL's are probably no brighter than headlights overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k View Post

I have driven at least 5 different models of car with running lights and not one has been bright enough to compensate for a lack of headlights at night.
I can somewhat understand people not realizing around town on well lit roads, but I did see some brain dead idiot driving down a rural highway with no streets lights at 1am with nothing but DRLs on.
I flashed them multiple times while approaching behind, when in front of them I even quickly switched my headlights on and off.
I continue off into the distance and see another car coming up behind them flashing their lights. Some people have no hope no matter what you do.

I sometimes see cars that have one foglight come on when the indicator on that side it turned on. I wonder how much of a difference that actually makes whee turning at night.
Some look like they are next to the foglight so some sort of dedicated turn light I guess?

Last edited by Ben73; 06-11-2018 at 09:25 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2018, 09:56 AM   #43
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this has been informative and interesting.

My question has been very clearly answered by local SA people. thanks.end of thread before we get into more of the usual nit picking, 'I said...you said' that often happens.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:34 AM   #44
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I believe it's because they throw light forward in every direction, while headlights aim the whole light beam lower.
DRL's are probably no brighter than headlights overall.
DRL's are designed to be seen, not for seeing, so they have very little by way of reflector, which is what projects the light away from its source.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #45
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I have driven at least 5 different models of car with running lights and not one has been bright enough to compensate for a lack of headlights at night.
I can somewhat understand people not realizing around town on well lit roads, but I did see some brain dead idiot driving down a rural highway with no streets lights at 1am with nothing but DRLs on.
I flashed them multiple times while approaching behind, when in front of them I even quickly switched my headlights on and off.
I continue off into the distance and see another car coming up behind them flashing their lights. Some people have no hope no matter what you do.

I sometimes see cars that have one foglight come on when the indicator on that side it turned on. I wonder how much of a difference that actually makes whee turning at night.
Some look like they are next to the foglight so some sort of dedicated turn light I guess?
You can easily drive at night with fgx daytime lights, in some ways they are better than the headlights on dark country roads.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2018, 07:57 PM   #46
Smithy1987

Quote:
My 97 Fairlane has dedicated cornering lights in place of fog lights in the bumper, they are nearly as effective as having a candle at each corner! Took me a while to realise what they actually were, I had to ask the previous owner as I thought they were fog lights but I couldn't find the switch to turn them on!
Smithy1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2018, 11:14 PM   #47
brosk1s

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Given the myriad of different lighting options these days I really think most cops just put the fog light/drl/driving light issue in the too hard basket unless you fail the attitude test.
Really I think this is it. There's no part on the front of the car apart from the indicator that hasn't been used as a DRL legally somewhere by a manufacturer.

Low-beams: Ford's own DRL kit popular with Telstra, Volvo's standard headlights always being on etc.
High-beams (50% power): Older generation VW hatchbacks, etc.
Parking lights (200% power): Current low-trim VW hatchbacks, current Toyota Hilux, etc.
Fog-lights: Some low-trim Subarus and FM Mustangs, etc.

The fog light being on as cornering lights also makes a massive difference (like on our KL Cherokee), makes the ground immediately close to you more than twice as bright... pretty much artificial daylight at that point.