Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 09-02-2016, 08:45 PM   #121
CatonaPC©

Default Re: LZ Focus (Thai Models)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormM67 View Post
Finally picked mine up today (Manual Trend in Winning Blue). Now to find some time to work out how to use all the goodies
Start with that thick wad of paper in the glovebox. It's called an owner manual.
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2016, 11:00 PM   #122
NormM67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatonaPC© View Post
Start with that thick wad of paper in the glovebox. It's called an owner manual.
Yeap, I downloaded the manual as soon as I received the VIN so I've had over a week to study that

Just need to work out the voice commands. Stupid woman keeps telling me I'm doing it wrong
NormM67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2016, 11:14 PM   #123
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Just need to work out the voice commands. Stupid woman keeps telling me I'm doing it wrong
Be nice to (my wife calls her) Betty. You have to enunciate. First time I used it, I asked Betty to play "Stairway to Heaven" and I got Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.

After you become more proficient, you may be able to set navigation by voice commands only. My favourite bit is when you ask Betty to cancel the route. The response is quite funny.
This user likes this post:
Old 11-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #124
csfulton

It doesn't take long to do 1000km :|

What is good is that the fuel average is much better now. Closer to 6.5L/100Km now.

I love the look of the car. It looks so aggressive. I could spend days talking about whats so right about it, plenty of good things but there is a few minor things.

The car drives so well. Coming from an older Fiesta. This thing seems like its on rails. I feel as if its less likely to under steer. Where you can get the right gear, hold the throttle at a nice position and the car just does the corner. No complaints.

What is really nice too, is the LIM button with the cruse control. Where you set it to the speed limit or 5k's over and the car stops you from speeding. Its a really nice touch. Especially for lots of windy roads.

Also reached 3k RPM. Oh god it sounds good. I would love to hear that more often. Once I have done the first service I'm sure I'll put the foot down just a little more and change gears just a little later.

On that note the Gear change guide/indicator. Its a helpful reminder but coming from a manual already I feel as if I am changing gears at the right time anyway. So it just flashes the light every time I go to change. It would be nice to make this hidden. Plus the Eco Score for Speed, Anticipation, and Gear is way too easy to get top score. I would love this to be a challenge because I know this can always improve.

Plus the voice commands while somewhat accurate. Can be off at times. Like from the main menu. I say 'Play Bluetooth' it starts trying to pair with another Bluetooth device. OR 'Navigate Home' is not a valid command from the main menu. If you want to navigate home you need to state 'Navigation' > 'Destination' > 'Home'. The only time you can state the car to do something from the main voice menu is 'Call X'. I know 'I'm Hungry' shows Restaurants POI's but thats the only main menu short cuts I know. Simply saying 'Change Temperature to 22 degrees' should do exactly that. It is a valid command if I said 'Climate' first.

Another thing with voice commands. Asking me if Im sure or is this correct isn't what I want to hear. 'Cancel Route' and 'Change temperature' should not double check with me if this is what they want.

Going into navigation menu. Why must it come up with that message every time I go into navigation. Where you must click ok. The person driving hasn't changed. Please for the love of god understand that I accepted this. No need to remind me. Its more of a distraction when you set a destination from voice, choose that you need to see the map, click on map, but now need to also click ok.

Sending Text messages from the car, and they add that stupid "Sent from my Ford" signature after the message. Look cool thanks for sending the message ford, but I don't want that at the end of every message. I would like to turn this signature off.

Applink is for Spotify on apple but not Android. This would make commands much easier to control different playlists without stopping.

Finally, the map seems quite outdated. Plus there is no way to see whats changed in the released maps, so you cannot see if roads are correctly added or not.
csfulton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2016, 01:57 PM   #125
Focii

Any Sports or Titanium owners worked out how to change the colour of the Ambient Lighting?

I have looked in the owners manual and there is a section there that explains you do it via the Touch Screen Interface, however on mine, the option isn't there.

Has anyone worked out why we can't change the colour? Software bug? Australian Design Regulations?
Focii is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2016, 04:02 PM   #126
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focii View Post
Any Sports or Titanium owners worked out how to change the colour of the Ambient Lighting?
The colour cannot be changed. It's not available in Australian models, it seems.
Old 11-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #127
simonmichael90
LZ Titanium Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by csfulton View Post
. What is good is that the fuel average is much better now. Closer to 6.5L/100Km now.
That is an outstanding average!
Is that indicated or calculated?

Quote:
Also reached 3k RPM.
I regularly go up to 4k rpm, with 800km on the clock. (auto)

Quote:
If you want to navigate home you need to state 'Navigation' > 'Destination' > 'Home'.
You can say 'Navigation' > 'Set destination home'.

Quote:
Going into navigation menu. Why must it come up with that message every time?.
Yes quite annoying.
simonmichael90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2016, 06:29 PM   #128
csfulton

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmichael90 View Post
Indicated. I have a manual. Which gets lower fuel usage. Ill confirm the exact figure for a whole tank tonight when I get home. Kept the receipts of KM at each fuel up. I kept 'Trip 2' not reset. Accurate to 100m.

Quote:
You can say 'Navigation' > 'Set destination home'.
I'll give this a shot, but from the main menu. I don't understand how 'Take me home' isn't a command, but 'im hungry' is.

Quote:
Yes quite annoying.
Just give me an option to make it hidden permanently.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:06 PM   #129
NormM67

Quote:
On that note the Gear change guide/indicator. Its a helpful reminder but coming from a manual already I feel as if I am changing gears at the right time anyway. So it just flashes the light every time I go to change. It would be nice to make this hidden..
I've only got about 180km on the clock so far so maybe things will change but I'm finding the gear change recommendations seem a bit early. It always seems to want to keep the RPMs at around 1500RPM which forces a gear change down to put a bit of boot in.. Think I'll ignore it

Oh, another thing, if I say "destination home" navigation works fine (don't need to say set). Strange...

Norm
NormM67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2016, 09:31 PM   #130
simonmichael90
LZ Titanium Focus

I just had a quick Google and play with the sync (mainly Navigation)

The following link is a list of commands that may help people out. (Not all seemly work)
http://fordaddict.com/ford-sync-voice-commands/

Some useful ones are (Csfulton)

To change voice interaction level
“Interaction mode <novice/advanced>”
It doesn't ask or prompt you after pressing voice button.

Turn on/off confirmation prompts
“Confirmation prompts <on/off>”
Reduces most final confirmations (eg. Set as destination)

I also setup a few common destinations in favourites and set the voice tag.
Then you can just say 'Destination John's house' or 'Destination Work' and it goes straight into setting it.

Also under navigation settings there is a setting that says always use preferred route selection (eg. Fastest, shortest etc). I have that set, but if not set you get an extra level to go through when setting a route which shows and lists the various route options.

Have a look and see what you can discover.

Also worked out if you just turn on the radio/head unit via the on/off button centre console, it will stay on with all but climate available and after time out car will turn off lights, USB power etc and not effect central unit.
You guys probably knew this already, but I don't usually sit in the car before or after travelling.

Last edited by simonmichael90; 11-02-2016 at 09:37 PM.
simonmichael90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2016, 11:22 PM   #131
csfulton

Quote:
6.719 L/100Km after driving 637Km in 3 days. This is with an almost full tank of 98 RON.

Quote:
I've only got about 180km on the clock so far so maybe things will change but I'm finding the gear change recommendations seem a bit early. It always seems to want to keep the RPMs at around 1500RPM which forces a gear change down to put a bit of boot in.. Think I'll ignore it
You're not giving it enough throttle. I found that depending on how you drive shows the indicator. So when you give a lot of throttle it will ask you to change later. When you use the engine for braking it doesn't show it.

Quote:
Oh, another thing, if I say "destination home" navigation works fine (don't need to say set). Strange...
'Navigation Destination Home' in one works. Thanks

Quote:
Turn on/off confirmation prompts
“Confirmation prompts <on/off>”
Doesn't work for cancel route. Bugger.
Old 12-02-2016, 12:00 AM   #132
Focii

Quote:
The colour cannot be changed. It's not available in Australian models, it seems.
This seems strange. I can't imagine Ford would design two different 'ambient' lighting systems for different markets. I suspect the hardware (RGB LEDs) is there and and it's a software limitation (for one reason or another). It would be interesting to find out why?

Also seems strange that there is no mention of the limitation in the owners manual. Just plainly says it can be changed via Sync 2.

Ah well, I might mention it to Ford when they call me again to ask how the car is going.

All in all, very happy with the car. I've got 1800km on the clock now, and engine feels better and better all the time.

The only thing that annoys me a little bit is the 'hill hold assist'. Seems to turn on when it's not required, like when trying to reverse up a slight incline.
Focii is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2016, 03:30 PM   #133
CatonaPC©

Quote:
This seems strange. I can't imagine Ford would design two different 'ambient' lighting systems for different markets. I might mention it to Ford when they call me again to ask how the car is going.
You can mention it, and, while you're at it, why auto-lock and auto-unlock does not function either as stated in the manual.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:43 PM   #134
csfulton

Quote:
You can mention it, and, while you're at it, why auto-lock and auto-unlock does not function either as stated in the manual.
I actually mentioned this to someone at work, and they gave the best possible and logical reason that it doesn't "auto-lock".

"While an auto unlock is really handy and helps to get into a car easier, its intentional for the car to be unlocked. But if the car was to Auto Lock, this may not be intentional, as its just the person with the key walking away. If something was to go wrong because someone locked the car, its the responsibility of that person who locked the car. If something went wrong because the car locked it self, it would be the responsibility of the manufactures."

There does seem to be a lot of things that were in the manual but not an option or not a feature of the car. I believe it just hasn't been fully adjusted for the correct market and a draft document that was published.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:18 PM   #135
CatonaPC©

Quote:
I actually mentioned this to someone at work, and they gave the best possible and logical reason that it doesn't "auto-lock".

"While an auto unlock is really handy and helps to get into a car easier, its intentional for the car to be unlocked. But if the car was to Auto Lock, this may not be intentional, as its just the person with the key walking away. .
I think you have misunderstood what auto-lock and auto-unlock do and how they operate.

Auto-lock locks the doors after the car reaches a set speed.

Auto-unlock unlocks the doors, after the car comes to a stop and the engine is switched off.

It's explained in the manual and also explains how to enable the features. However, it does not work.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:36 PM   #136
csfulton

Quote:
I think you have misunderstood what auto-lock and auto-unlock do and how they operate.
I have, I was thinking about something else. That was silly of me. Ill try this feature out later.
Old 12-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #137
CatonaPC©

Quote:
I have, I was thinking about something else. That was silly of me. Ill try this feature out later.
If you get it to work, let us know.
Old 13-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #138
stig_3754

Quote:

I have looked in the owners manual and there is a section there that explains you do it via the Touch Screen Interface, however on mine, the option isn't there.

Has anyone worked out why we can't change the colour? Software bug? Australian Design Regulations?
In the wife's 2014 Kuga Titanium, the colour of the Ambient Lighting can be changed by pressing a button up the top near the sunglass holder. There isn't a button there that looks like a colour palette by any chance is there?
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #139
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

No. I've also used the Kuga Titanium ambient lighting, but the Focus doesn't have it.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #140
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSSXR8 View Post
No. I've also used the Kuga Titanium ambient lighting, but the Focus doesn't have it.
I think the Focus does have it. It has just not been activated.
Old 13-02-2016, 06:01 PM   #141
WindsorXR

What I meant, was that it doesn't have the buttons to adjust it. If it's somewhere in the software, it can't easily be accessed by the usual owner.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

Old 13-02-2016, 08:22 PM   #142
CatonaPC©

Quote:
What I meant, was that it doesn't have the buttons to adjust it.
No. But you don't need them. If ambient lighting is available, it can be adjusted via touch screen. The Sport and Titanium have ambient lighting but only white. There has been some discussion that the ability to change the colour via touch screen has been turn off.

It's possible the switch has been omitted to save money and the on-screen function omitted as well.

In another forum, someone has stated that they disconnected the battery and after reconnecting it, the ambient lighting had changed from white to red. So whether this has inadvertently reset the system and turned on the feature, it is not known yet. (And, no, I do not recommend anyone try this.)
Old 13-02-2016, 09:03 PM   #143
4cyl_Turbo

Quote:
The Sport and Titanium have ambient lighting but only white.
As a Trend owner, maybe leave comment on the ambient lighting to Sport and Titanium owners, as the default LED colour is red.

Always red, never white or any other colour, not until Ford Australia decides to software enable it or fit the required hardware (microprocessor & controller).
4cyl_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2016, 09:33 PM   #144
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cyl_Turbo View Post
Always red, never white or any other colour
Ahh! Sorry. Thought I had read somewhere it was white by default and unchangeable.
Old 14-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #145
WindsorXR

Quote:
No. But you don't need them. If ambient lighting is available, it can be adjusted via touch screen. The Sport and Titanium have ambient lighting but only white. There has been some discussion that the ability to change the colour via touch screen has been turn off.

It's possible the switch has been omitted to save money and the on-screen function omitted as well.

In another forum, someone has stated that they disconnected the battery and after reconnecting it, the ambient lighting had changed from white to red. So whether this has inadvertently reset the system and turned on the feature, it is not known yet. (And, no, I do not recommend anyone try this.)
Exactly, so you can't do it right now. You are saying that the ability to change colour has been turned off.......therefore, to the usual user (as I said earlier) can't change it.

I have a Focus Sport and it has always had just red ambient lighting. There is no button like the Kuga, where it is in the roof lining. Also, as I said, it may very well be in the software and available, but no one can find it, so that means that the "usual user" can't change the colour. I'm going to have another play through all of the menus. If I find anything about changing the colour, I'll let you know. The only one I have found so far, is the ability to turn in on or off in the instrument cluster menu under lighting.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

Old 14-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #146
4cyl_Turbo

Regarding LED colour change ability

I was reading a UK forum and they were saying you can get two types of ambient lighting, variable colours and single colour (Red).

It would appear that Australia got the single colour LED option, so it isn't something that can just be enabled. The LEDs are the single colour type, with the ability to turn them off or on only. So two colours really red or black ;o)
2 users like this post:
Old 21-02-2016, 02:55 PM   #147
rustyinsthoz
Starter Motor

Thought I would say Hi. Have had to buy a new car so have been out testing the Golf, Mazda3 and the Focus Trend and Sport. Was most impressed by the Sport, good performance from its 1.5 L turbo and great handling without sacrificing comfort. Biggest surprise was the refinement and lack of noise entering the cabin. Far superior to the Mazda3 and a match for the Golf.
The two things I didn't like about the Focus was the lack of One Touch unlock for the drivers door and no auto locking on drive off. The other is the lack of rear seat and boot space.
So subject to getting a good deal and one being available, I will be driving A Focus Sport for the next 5 yrs.
rustyinsthoz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2016, 05:44 PM   #148
WindsorXR

What do you mean by one touch unlock? With the sport, if you have the keys in your pocket, you can just go up and open the door. Unlocks automatically.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

Old 21-02-2016, 09:06 PM   #149
rustyinsthoz
Starter Motor

Quote:
What do you mean by one touch unlock? With the sport, if you have the keys in your pocket, you can just go up and open the door. Unlocks automatically.
With my Golf you could program the car to unlock just the drivers door with one press, all doors and boot with two presses. Also auto locks all doors above 10 km/h.

On another subject, I know about the DSG issues with the previous car. Any other reliability issues with the Focus? Hard to find anything on them. American owner surveys paint a very poor reliability record with the Focus.
rustyinsthoz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2016, 10:55 PM   #150
4cyl_Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyinsthoz View Post
With my Golf you could program the car to unlock just the drivers door with one press, all doors and boot with two presses. Also auto locks all doors above 10 km/h.
Two stage locking is listed in the owner manual, I haven't tried or used it myself, as I just use the keyless entry via door handle (have never needed to pressed remote button as yet).

One press opens drivers door, second press within 3 secs opens all doors.
You can switch this feature on or off by pressing both open & close remote buttons together for 3 secs. That said, the book also lists features that don't seems available.

Aussie Focus doesn't get Auto lock feature (auto lock >7km/h). Book does list it as an option and how to turn it on/off, but no one has got it to work yet. May be dealer switchable?

Reliability is yet to be discovered.
You can't really relate one model to another, as they have been made in various different countries, with different engines, different transmissions etc over the years. Most owners that go to the trouble of online reviews, have usually had bad experiences. So always require a grain of salt.

Last edited by 4cyl_Turbo; 21-02-2016 at 11:04 PM.