Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > XR6 & XR8 Club of Queensland > XR Club of Qld Discussions

Old 06-03-2006, 12:21 PM   #1
Kerrie

Default Which Fuel is Best for GT

I am hoping to pick up my GT this weekend and I have been asking around to see which is the best fuel to put in it. In the XR I alternated between unleaded and vortex, but have been advised to only use Vortex. Can I have some opininions please.
Thanx
Kerrie

Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Shell Optimax 98 Ron or BP Ultimate 98 Ron are the best. Vortex is ok, but BP or Shell are easier to get. Dont run it on Unleaded!

Does Denmac finally have your car up here?

Yay!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 12:43 PM   #3
SP Ken

G'day Kerrie,

Good to hear that the car is not far off. You will get a few differing opinions I would think on this subject but heres my two cents worth.

I would say to use only BP Ultimate. That is all I use and I can not fault it. Having said that I know for a fact that you can't get it in GI so last time there I used Vortex 98 and the Phoon ran just as well on it.

Cheers,

Ken
Old 06-03-2006, 12:49 PM   #4
Penelope Pitstop
Can't get enough of this.

Location: Standing on the driveway sobbing because I don't have a PINK ute anymore :0(

Another vote for BP Ultimate - wouldn't use anything else in either of my cars.
Penelope Pitstop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 05:42 PM   #5
phoon
BOLLOCKS

Agree with above, I use nothing but BP Ultimate where available. I saw a comparison of fuels on one of the many obscure shows I watch on Fox and the tests revealed that BP Ultimate was consistantly 98 octane, whereas Shell Optimax ranged from 96 to 98. But then I saw another show, which showed better fuel consumption from the shell. I have also used Vortex, where BP wasnt available and found that my Phoon, much like Ken's still ran fine. So if I havent confused you any more than you already are, dont worry, Ive just confused myself as well.

Cheers
Jeff
phoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 06:21 PM   #6
747FLI

Cool The Best Fuel of All

Try XXXX Bitter, a few of those and a great GT will look better and even better!!!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
Stevexr6

I've been running mine on Vortex but workmates watching a current affairs program recently, told me the results on their testing show no real advantage in using a higher octane fuel.I don't want to change because I didn't see the program myself but maybe anyone who did might be able to give us the full story.
Stevexr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2006, 09:36 PM   #8
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Default Fuels is fuels ??????????

Only use Shell optimax or the new 100 octane in mine,

Must admit though, I buy this more because Shell has flybuys than because it is any better than any other premium,

If the truth be known with the limited refineries in Australia you would never know whos fuel it was anyway.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:39 AM   #9
blkpuss
Drive Hard/Play Hard!!!

Default BP ULTIMATE gets my vote

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747FLI
Try XXXX Bitter, a few of those and a great GT will look better and even better!!!
: Trust you to think of alcohol !!!! Have to say that the BP Ultimate has been the best, although I have'nt tried the Vortex.
blkpuss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 04:08 AM   #10
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
Only use Shell optimax or the new 100 octane in mine,

does only shell sell the 100, does it have a fancy name at the pump?

I have to say that I have lowered standards on occasion and once or twice purchased from 7 11, its run better from the particular 7 11 than some feul from BP or shell. I go to different top distributers and I find it runs like ИИИИe and good from others. there seems to always be a variation in how the car performs. I do consider temperture conditions too but I can hear the difference in the engine quite remarkably from various types of fuel used. Might get the filter out and see what it can tell me. I am eager to here more about this as I feel that the fuel you put in your car effects the smooth running heaps...it anoys me to think what am I really paying for from that pump. I know a couple of people who have owned servos....and the stories.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #11
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT290
does only shell sell the 100, does it have a fancy name at the pump?
Not sure of the name but you can not miss it
Trouble is that not many of the Shell servos have it
Old 07-03-2006, 09:30 PM   #12
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

BP Ultimate here, I used to use Opticrap but since changing to Ultimate, I've found I get more K's so that's why I use it.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 09:31 PM   #13
347Stroker
Banned

Methanol works a treat.....ll
347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post