Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > ORSM Ford Cruise Car Club > Orsm Build Thread

Orsm Build Thread Only for the ORSM Club Members and their rides

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #1
Bakis
XR6ED

Default Development of XR6ED

Hey guys, just thought it would be good to get some comments and thoughts of the slow and steady modifications that will be happening on my car...
Its been stock up until last week when i decided to purchase pod and finally today managed to get some piping and connectors that fit.

Old Engine bay

Todays Engine Bay

It's only a FRAM Airhog Pod 3.5" so just fits in engine bay lol, piping dia. is 3" i need some free time to design a air box to go around it as well...
I'm waiting for some free time at uncles workshop to install thermos that i've had for about 3 months at home... plus next service getting some Top Gun 10mm leads in blue and NGK Iridium 9 Spark Plugs.
Hopefully more to come soon .

Does anyone know how to minimize the heats effect on the intake piping, its hard to move it away from engine and radiator hose :(... Its heat resistant to 200 degrees apparently.

James

Weekend Cruiser/Project -1993 ED XR6

XR6ED Thread
Old 07-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #2
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Welcome to the ORSM build section. Maybe Ron could help with an air box design mate. I look forward to seeing your ride develop.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
ORSMEB
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakis
Does anyone know how to minimize the heats effect on the intake piping, its hard to move it away from engine and radiator hose :(... Its heat resistant to 200 degrees apparently.
James
Welcome James!
In regards to your heat question...If you use a shorter length and stiffer pipe like the one use, it sticks clear with no dramas at all!

Old 07-08-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

This is the best ED xr6 ive ever seen... great studd james keep the modds coming but don't loose the quality and originaltiy of you beast!!

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
Old 07-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #5
XXRR-50
Formerly ORSMT-2

Ditto Welcome James, very very nice ED you got there! I used to own one a few years back in the same color, Cobalt Blue, one of the best E-series colors!

Previous cars:
'03 BA G220 Fairlane
'00 T2 TE50 #063(ORSMT-2)
'96 EFII Fairmont Ghia 5l V8(TOPGIA#2)
'03 BA Fairmont Ghia I6(TOPGIA#1)
'94 ED XR6(TKFRD-6)
'93 EB S-XR6

FOR SALE: ORSMT-2 NUMBER PLATES
Old 09-08-2008, 01:44 PM   #6
Bakis
XR6ED

Cheers guys, as regards to originality i really only want to do engine mods that give it more appeal under the hood nothing to big and also to keep it neat, which is why a custom air box is next...

I made the pipe a real short length now so it shouldn't heat up that much .

XR6ED Thread
Old 10-08-2008, 02:40 AM   #7
LOW_XR
460hp + manual = fun

looks good man just need some extractors (for looks lol) get rid of the firewall padding hide the looms and lose the clutch fan and it will be a mint looking engine bay
BA XR6 turbo, blood orange, 6 speed , mal wood option 3+ clutch, fg gt style 19's , xr8 bonnet, no spoiler , de-badged , sunroof , leather , premo, fpv wheel, plazmaman 1100hp cooler, plazmaman hot + cold side piping and intake, x force exhaust, 460 rwhp and more....
Old 10-08-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
Bakis
XR6ED

i wanna do firewall padding to hide the looms, but it seems a large job but it always looks so much better after it... a little hard work between mates never hurt anyone, in time i wanna.

XR6ED Thread
Old 13-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #9
Bakis
XR6ED

Umm, i've started to consider rims mainly for shows and cruises looking at 18" size i've seen alot of Eseries with BA/BF rims not too sure what exactly to look at. I want it to be a little different so any suggestions?

I not looking at spending a HUGE amount maybe up to 1300 with tyres???

I like these, but would also a nice set of BBS ones... I think there the limited edition xr8 BA rims

XR6ED Thread
Old 13-08-2008, 11:41 PM   #10
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

I reckon BA typhoon's would look great ...!!

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.

Old 23-08-2008, 06:55 PM   #11
Bakis
XR6ED

Ok, an update me and some mates installed the 10mm Top gun leads a while back took a while due to hard to access dizzy cap lol, they came up good i think. Also as of Wednesday night i final installed the thermos i had sitting at home for 3 months and also changed the top thermo housing too only issue is that there is a leak that forms from top radiator hose near the radiator, fixing that on Monday...

Quick question fromexperience how long does or should it take my motor to heat up... Cause when trying to set the temp for the fans we left it idle for 20 min with heater and A/C pumping and the motor temp never got above the blue zone :S, im starting to think that temp gauge could be out, cause i limped it home from Doncaster and it never got above the same area either. This normal?

Pics will be up soon .

XR6ED Thread
Old 23-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #12
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Ok, an update me and some mates installed the 10mm Top gun leads a while back took a while due to hard to access dizzy cap lol, they came up good i think. Also as of Wednesday night i final installed the thermos i had sitting at home for 3 months and also changed the top thermo housing too only issue is that there is a leak that forms from top radiator hose near the radiator, fixing that on Monday...

Quick question fromexperience how long does or should it take my motor to heat up... Cause when trying to set the temp for the fans we left it idle for 20 min with heater and A/C pumping and the motor temp never got above the blue zone :S, im starting to think that temp gauge could be out, cause i limped it home from Doncaster and it never got above the same area either. This normal?

Pics will be up soon .
Sounding good so far. As for the temp not getting there, it was common for some people to take out the thermostat in cars that had overheating problems in the old days. I would check to see if you have one. If not, get one. If you do have one, it may need replacing.
Old 23-08-2008, 07:16 PM   #13
ORSMEB
Steve

I just let me engine idle for about 15 mins, then turned the knob until they turned on. It worked a treat.

As for your car not over heating when you drove home from Doncaster...for a car to over heat while driving, there is something seriously wrong. Because you've got cool air being forced through the radiator, heating up is not normally going to happen. (You'll find your thermo's don't turn on very much when you're moving, only when you're stopped)
Old 23-08-2008, 07:27 PM   #14
GSH
AU2 XR8

Try a 2.5inch exhaust with Lukey Turbo Mufflers and extractors if you dont already have it...

Run good quialty oil.....Its cheap to run fully synthetic oils like Pennzoil Synthetic 10w-40..I swear by it...And my mates who owns a Toyota Twin Turbo Aristo a R32 GTR and a 180sx also swears his life on it...He works in a shop and keeps going back to this stuff.....And do it every 5000kms....Also with the oil filter....Along with an oil flush every few goes to..

Cam and or an Eliminator chip and get it tuned.... Should be fairly belting along by then.....

PERTH W.A

0406 553 226
Old 25-08-2008, 09:38 PM   #15
Bakis
XR6ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSH
Try a 2.5inch exhaust with Lukey Turbo Mufflers and extractors if you dont already have it...

Run good quialty oil.....Its cheap to run fully synthetic oils like Pennzoil Synthetic 10w-40..I swear by it...And my mates who owns a Toyota Twin Turbo Aristo a R32 GTR and a 180sx also swears his life on it...He works in a shop and keeps going back to this stuff.....And do it every 5000kms....Also with the oil filter....Along with an oil flush every few goes to..

Cam and or an Eliminator chip and get it tuned.... Should be fairly belting along by then.....
thanks, yh its serviced every 5 thou and oil and filter is changed with high grade penrite oil... maybe in time cam and chip but next step is making, radiator overflow and wiper bottle covers , then maybe try make custom air box too any one have a idea where i can get them made from if i give them a cardboard mold?

Also looking for EL cover to go above belts at the end of rocker cover... If anyone knows they won't fit with standard EB/ED belt setup do tell .

Just taking it slow now thou school is getting full on :(.

Cheers

XR6ED Thread
Old 25-08-2008, 11:08 PM   #16
ORSMEB
Steve

EF-EL cover does not go onto the EA-ED belt setup sorry to tell you James :(

As for your washer bottle cover...just get rid of the whole bottle completely!
Old 30-08-2008, 12:21 AM   #17
Bakis
XR6ED

a little advancement in developing my car

Im stoaked, once i get some more money its going towards some new springs... Any idea what would drop it like 50mm in back? i wanna have it around the tyre level? and have it set dead flat when stopped so like maybe 40mm at front?.

XR6ED Thread
Old 30-08-2008, 01:36 AM   #18
ORSMEB
Steve

Quote:
Any idea what would drop it like 50mm in back? i wanna have it around the tyre level? and have it set dead flat when stopped so like maybe 40mm at front?.
King Spring Ultra Lows all round and compressed in the rear.
Ultima shortened struts all round.

Those wheels are nuts! Where and how did you get them?!
Old 30-08-2008, 08:09 AM   #19
ORSMEF
orsm ford crusiers

yea mate go ultra lows i went lows and there to high. so now i have to lower it more.
Old 30-08-2008, 08:11 AM   #20
ORSMEF
orsm ford crusiers

sorry mate i have supper lows not lows.
Old 30-08-2008, 12:37 PM   #21
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

James those wheels are *** nuts, they suit the car so well.. As for suspension set up copy steve's it is perfect and handles perfectly...

As for exhuast system Ive got a set of extractors if you are interested..

Top stuff mate..

Old 30-08-2008, 06:45 PM   #22
Bakis
XR6ED

cheers guys, umm got lucky with the wheels dad was on the GT site and some1 posted them up for sale the night before, and i snapped them up the next day, guy was only in croydan hills so it was easy, he had a mint EB GT too these were his spare set of rims. Was 1500 with tyres minor rash on 2 but the others are mint.

O parents like 1800 now :( so be a couple of months before i get anything for car... Funny this but i found that the 15" ER 30's gripped alot better then these tyres haha.

XR6ED Thread
Old 30-08-2008, 10:32 PM   #23
XXRR-50
Formerly ORSMT-2

Spot on with the rims mate, much better than any aftermarket (apart from simmons hehe). Being genuine GT wheels, they're 8.5'' wide, so you can run 255's at the back. They suit the car perfect, we need more close up pics!

Previous cars:
'03 BA G220 Fairlane
'00 T2 TE50 #063(ORSMT-2)
'96 EFII Fairmont Ghia 5l V8(TOPGIA#2)
'03 BA Fairmont Ghia I6(TOPGIA#1)
'94 ED XR6(TKFRD-6)
'93 EB S-XR6

FOR SALE: ORSMT-2 NUMBER PLATES
Old 31-08-2008, 06:32 PM   #24
ORSMEB
Steve

Again...DAMN YOU!
Old 06-09-2008, 03:07 PM   #25
Bakis
XR6ED

Got 2 more shots, i really need to properly fix front bumper there is a little bit of a sag in it :(.

Cheers - James

XR6ED Thread
Old 07-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #26
ORSMEB
Steve

Rub it in you why don't you?!
Old 07-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #27
JAKHMR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Coming along nicely. Great snap up of the wheels, suit it well.

Quote:
Success is the good fortune that comes from:
Inspiration , aspiration , desperation , and perspiration
Old 01-12-2008, 06:34 PM   #28
ORSM-XT
ORSM Ford Cruiser

Haha so Im not the only James.

Sweet Looking ED in my favourite E series Colour

Cheerz,
Old 01-12-2008, 08:12 PM   #29
Bakis
XR6ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH!TEY est:1991
Haha so Im not the only James.

Sweet Looking ED in my favourite E series Colour

Cheerz,

haha cool , yh i've run into a few troubles, i repairs done on the rear about 12+ months ago. Now the paint has shrunk under the surface and well long story short damage is quoted at nearly 6 grand :(. Agreed value is 8 and shannon's has taken is time with the decision so it maybe to close to call if its a write off or not :(.

They are repairing rear 1/4's, boot, roof and seals and rear doors, hopefully gets approved.

Wasn't the news i was hoping for after exams and school finishing, was really hoping to have it mint condition for shows and cruises.

XR6ED Thread
Old 01-12-2008, 10:23 PM   #30
ORSM-XT
ORSM Ford Cruiser

Whoa no way is that good news.

good luck with it all.

Cheerz,
Closed Thread