Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > FPV & XR Owners Club of Newcastle > Ford Performance Club of ACT Club Discussions

Ford Performance Club of ACT Club Discussions General Chit and so forth!

Old 13-08-2018, 10:16 AM   #1
cruiser3110
Starter Motor

Default Advice required XR6T

Hi All

Really need the help of people in the know.

I recently bought an 08 BF XR6T stock as a rock as a daily in the past two weeks it has developed an issue after cruising along the freeway. You kick it to ovetake or go up a hill and it dies. It has new plugs, coils, Head gasket fuel filter, air filter etc.

This is my first turbo as I already have an XR8 and I love the car but both me and the mechanic are stumped. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
cruiser3110 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2018, 11:01 AM   #2
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 
Default Re: Advice required XR6T

Have you scanned it for any error codes?

Sounds fuel related to me.
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2018, 11:21 AM   #3
cruiser3110
Starter Motor

No error codes on the scan tool my sons a Ford mechanic and he scanned everything when it did it on Saturday. As did the mechanic the week before he found error codes related to traction control and abs. It has us all scratching our heads. Injectors have been serviced fuel system pressure tested all OK, mechanic said fuel smelt a bit strange and filter was dirty but had been changed recently but he changed it again, my first thought was bad fuel so it went straight to the mechanics, I have since filled it with quality fuel at a different servo and it ran fine even towing a Ski Boat the next day it did it again. The only other thing I can think of is a collapsing cat or muffler causing it to build up back pressure but that would cause it to missfire or not runand that it is not happening. Not sure what to change or check next.
cruiser3110 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2018, 08:47 PM   #4
JGP

Maybe this thread should be moved to the FPV F6,XR6T and G6ET section, might get some more answers there?
Whiteline sway bars,nolathane bushes, Koni reds,Kings springs,nolathane camber kit,whiteline bump stops.
Built tailshaft + billet cv, ZF + PWR exchanger + braided lines, Superpro diff bushes.
JGP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2018, 10:21 PM   #5
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe sms crap n the fuel tank that gets picked up randomly and block the fuel pick up? If the fuel filter was dirty there is probably heaps of crap in the tank.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2018, 11:52 PM   #6
Bez F6

I also think likely to be fuel related, most probably fuel pump and/or pickup.
Does it seem more prone to playing up when the fuel level is lower? From what you said in above post where you mentioned suspected bad fuel and towing a ski boat, I think it is mostly playing up at lower fuel levels.
You said you had the fuel system pressure tested, but what was really checked and how? The fuel pressure would really need to be monitored whilst driving under load on boost, to see what happens when the car plays up. The fuel pressure should rise with boost pressure, which means that the load on the fuel pump is highest under the combination of high load and high boost. Perhaps the fuel pump can keep up when not on boost but is struggling beyond that...
Bez F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post