Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 23-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #1
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default What Cheeses me off about the forum

You what I hate ? I hate the fact that members don't have to show their location !
Ok, I understand that people have a right to protect their privacy. Some might think that if they give the area they live in a thief is going to find them and knock off their Phase 3 or whatever.

But often you see people have posted something and then when you look for where they are at, its blank ! If this is the case, I pass.

It could be that they are wanting a part, or selling a part or car, or quoting prices in their area, but its all meaningless because you don't know where they are !

I would like to see that members have to show at least which state they are in ! Its a big country !!!

Your thoughts ?

T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What Cheeses me off about the forum

I think some people aren't happy unless complaining, seriously what a petty whinge

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

This is already a requirement for items advertised in the for sale areas. It is a mandatory part of the template which then gets listed in the title itself.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-11-2013, 09:32 PM   #4
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
I think some people aren't happy unless complaining, seriously what a petty whinge
I go out of my way to help people out if I can and their location determines if I can/to what extent I will involve myself.

Its not a whinge, just trying to make it a better place
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

OWN THE ROAD
Old 23-11-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
05_ENFORCER

It's a public forum.

It's not like you can hide your location........well to some extent you can, for a short time.

Why does it need to be a secret, all you need do is have a general area in a state, unless there is a reason to be discrete........................

Old 23-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

I have no issue showing my whereabouts, but I also have no issue with those who don't.

Last edited by Sox; 23-11-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Sox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTe342 View Post
I go out of my way to help people out if I can and their location determines if I can/to what extent I will involve myself.
I know what you are getting at. Like when someone asks for help in finding a good mechanic or whatever but neglects to say where they are, or even what state they are in.
Old 24-11-2013, 12:48 AM   #8
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I kind of understand where the OP is coming from. LOL ( pun intended I'm afraid)

For example, someone asks the best place to obtain a part or tyres, or which engine builder/tuner to use for example, yet don't even have there state listed.

How can you help someone in a situation like that if there locatrion is blank, or "in the shed" or "never never land", etc?
Kinda dumb really!
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #9
Becker_11

I work in tech support and see this all the time. People want me to do something with the config of their phone but don't give me their phone number or they order parts and don't give their desk location. The simple fact is they don't think.

The simple solution if it isn't made mandatory by the site is to either ignore the post or to reply stating they need to supply a location to get further/any help with their question.
Becker_11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becker_11 View Post
I work in tech support and see this all the time. People want me to do something with the config of their phone but don't give me their phone number or they order parts and don't give their desk location. The simple fact is they don't think.

The simple solution if it isn't made mandatory by the site is to either ignore the post or to reply stating they need to supply a location to get further/any help with their question.
So whats your location?

OWN THE ROAD
Old 24-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #11
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6TCraig View Post
I kind of understand where the OP is coming from. LOL ( pun intended I'm afraid)

For example, someone asks the best place to obtain a part or tyres, or which engine builder/tuner to use for example, yet don't even have there state listed.

How can you help someone in a situation like that if there locatrion is blank, or "in the shed" or "never never land", etc?
Kinda dumb really!
Lots of situations where their location has a bearing on the discussion. Talking about fuel prices and road rules are 2 that spring to mind.
Opinions about different subject matter are often swayed by State of origin and terminology can also be affected by where someone is from

OWN THE ROAD
3 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
Becker_11

Quote:
So whats your location?
Touche I'm located in Perth, WA.

edit: Profile updated

Last edited by Becker_11; 24-11-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Becker_11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that's one win for me

OWN THE ROAD
Old 24-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #14
earlybird

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6 View Post
"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
earlybird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the fact the option is there. As someone else has stated, some people don't like giving away their location to keep the risk of their cars being stolen (normally rarer cars) as low as possible. Too many scum in the world now and it's far too easy to find out info about people on the internet
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #16
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You what I hate ? I hate the fact that members don't have to show their location !
Ok, I understand that people have a right to protect their privacy. Some might think that if they give the area they live in a thief is going to find them and knock off their Phase 3 or whatever.

But often you see people have posted something and then when you look for where they are at, its blank ! If this is the case, I pass.

It could be that they are wanting a part, or selling a part or car, or quoting prices in their area, but its all meaningless because you don't know where they are !

I would like to see that members have to show at least which state they are in ! Its a big country !!!

Your thoughts ?
i read this post in my best Rodney Rude voice

perfect

i hate that yeaaaaaah!!!!
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #17
damo6
turbo pilot

^^ lol^^
damo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #18
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlybird View Post
Classic

OWN THE ROAD
Old 24-11-2013, 11:39 PM   #19
Brendo_GSUte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyXR6T View Post
I like the fact the option is there. As someone else has stated, some people don't like giving away their location to keep the risk of their cars being stolen (normally rarer cars) as low as possible. Too many scum in the world now and it's far too easy to find out info about people on the internet
Thats true some crooks only need the smallest of oppertunities.

Im looking to swap my chrome roll bars and soft tonneau with the cut outs on my GS ute for just the normal FG FPV soft tonneau cover. Basically i want to do away with the chome bars

Im from Perth so it would be easier if someone from Perth is willing as well. I will drive to you as well.
Brendo_GSUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #20
AndyXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendo_GSUte View Post
Thats true some crooks only need the smallest of oppertunities.
Yep I've been done before. Bought a small item off a other forum, gave them my address, item never came 1 week later the car was stolen
AndyXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2013, 11:51 PM   #21
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Inane
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #22
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #23
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would agree with this one, you don't have to be specific , but at the very least show the state.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #24
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
I would agree with this one, you don't have to be specific , but at the very least show the state.
state of confusion???
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #25
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

What cheeses me off about the forum is all the people who come on here and argue with other people for having different opinions or making different choices. I do like the info on here, but you need a good bull**** filter to get to a lot of it.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #26
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I live in a town with 3 people. I've paid a bit under $250,000 for my cars. I'm often away with work. If I were forced to publish my locality I'd just lie anyway, or quit ff...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #27
bullfrog

Quote:
that's one win for me
That's 2. I didn't know that I hadn't filled out my info properly.
PS: I'm with you, way too many anonymous people out there.
Old 27-11-2013, 11:24 PM   #28
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I drive my cars on public roads, take them to shows, gets photographed and published in many magazines and on websites. Always popping up on FB by someone! Type 'Ford Landau' and appears at least 10 times in the first few rows of images. Also pops up just in normal search. Have been followed so people can get a better look. I drive it up and down the street and up and down my drive way. My neighbors ( some a little 'different') know my car and I know where some other great cars are around my area. I wash it in my drive way every couple of weeks and people have come up for a chat while doing so.

It has a rego fully displayed. Easily tracked. Done that myself.

I seriously cant understand that someone would be worried about putting 'Melbourne' or at the least 'Vic' in the Location spot because someone might be able to track their car?

I know the PH4 XA lives in Sydney ........ I think its safe?

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2013, 11:40 PM   #29
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
state of confusion???
I go there often
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2013, 11:52 PM   #30
bullfrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau View Post
I drive my cars on public roads, take them to shows, gets photographed and published in many magazines and on websites. Always popping up on FB by someone! Type 'Ford Landau' and appears at least 10 times in the first few rows of images. Also pops up just in normal search. Have been followed so people can get a better look. I drive it up and down the street and up and down my drive way. My neighbors ( some a little 'different') know my car and I know where some other great cars are around my area. I wash it in my drive way every couple of weeks and people have come up for a chat while doing so.

It has a rego fully displayed. Easily tracked. Done that myself.

I seriously cant understand that someone would be worried about putting 'Melbourne' or at the least 'Vic' in the Location spot because someone might be able to track their car?

I know the PH4 XA lives in Sydney ........ I think its safe?
Exactly, if you take it out of the shed, someone will see it!! My ESP comes up on the first page of google image searches.

PS: I live in Jindera.