Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #1
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Default AFF pages slow to load

I've found that the forum pages are slow to load in the last few days, I mean really slow. When I open the main/login page to AFF it's all good, but when I right click on a link/thread to open up in a new window it turns to pus. Not saying it's an AFF problem at all, could be at well my end.

The AFF pages aren't graphically heavy, so should be almost instantaneous. I've clicked on you tube links within the forum and they stream without a hitch.

Anyone else had the same lately? or should I just man up?

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.

Last edited by supershifty; 02-02-2013 at 12:22 AM.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #2
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AFF pages slow to load

Yeah I got it starting tonight.

Probably too much traffic on such a great forum ;) I'm sure it will be fixed up soon.

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 03:23 AM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I have noticed the lag as well here.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Although the pages aren't graphically heavy they are heavy on database load which is usually where any performance issues on AFF come from.

Having said that, the server loads currently look ok (6.75% CPU) - albeit higher than I'd normally expect to see for early on a Saturday but there are 1,500 users on as well - I will turn on monitoring to gather some information before making a definitive call.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Bam
XB,XF,ZL,EA,EL,BA,SY,SZII

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write up on Air bag installation. 

Thanks Russ. I've also experienced this problem for about three days...same as Shifty insofar as other sites were OK. There were about 2500 users online when I checked a couple of days ago. It seems to be occurring during peak periods, ie. in the evenings.
Bam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had the same issue

Thought it was my comp playing funny buggers again but it seams not to be the case if others are having the same problem

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

No it is a server issue - a bit more analysis shows that while Apache CPU utilisation is low, mySQL (which runs the database) CPU utilisation is very high with average server loads in the 30's and utilisations up toward 100%.

I'll be doing some mySQL tuning throughout the morning so expect several restarts for mySQL and Apache.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #8
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I had been having serious issues for the past week and thought it was my end. Turns out some of it was.

The Optus and Telstra networks are having issues at the moment because of the bushfires/Flooding etc. Although I know Russ has said there is a server issue as well. please bare in mind your internet may be a little slower over the coming week while the infrastructure gets fixed by your provider.

Cheers
Col
Old 02-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #9
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

The pages are flying for me at the moment - it's all good!

Thanks Russell!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

The server loads were fluctuating between the 30's and 40's - ideally they should be below 5 and they are currently running between 4 and 5 after some tuning work. As there are currently 1,760 user on-line that's more than acceptable with Apache load also down to about 4.45%.

MySQL CPU utilisation is now down in the 40% bracket and anything under 80% average is fine.

There's a couple more things I will do tomorrow after the SQL server has been running for 12 hours but that's a good start.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thanks Russ

The pages are flying at the moment so job well done

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Sorry about the extra couple of restarts but I needed to change something else.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 02-02-2013, 09:15 PM   #13
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. Definitely rapid load again now. Have you changed the "new posts" search back to the old way? Its hard to tell as I cleared my history to see if that speeded things up. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise View Post
I had been having serious issues for the past week and thought it was my end. Turns out some of it was.

The Optus and Telstra networks are having issues at the moment because of the bushfires/Flooding etc. Although I know Russ has said there is a server issue as well. please bare in mind your internet may be a little slower over the coming week while the infrastructure gets fixed by your provider.

Cheers
Col
To add to this .... there are still issues with in the QLD region ... even though Telstra has temporarily fixed a couple of IOFs heading to Northern QLD for the timebeing. Also there are a number of DC's in the Brissy Metro area still running on diesel due to lack of MAINS Power as well.

Some regions though still have no comms.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #15
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
Hi. Definitely rapid load again now. Have you changed the "new posts" search back to the old way? Its hard to tell as I cleared my history to see if that speeded things up. Cheers MD
I have - one of the things that adds load to the database is the number of reads and writes required to maintain that data compared to the cookie based method previously used.

Despite having almost 2,000 users on currently, server loads are still under 5, have only peaked at 7.5 and Apache load is only:

CPU Usage: u1664.36 s19.42 cu4.28 cs0 - 2.56% CPU load31 requests/sec - 0.5 MB/second - 18.1 kB/request75 requests currently being processed, 0 idle workersCheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

This user likes this post:
Old 02-02-2013, 11:23 PM   #16
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Yea last week has been pretty slow thought it was just my agricultural internet. . . . .Much better now though.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2013, 10:54 AM   #17
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

I'll be doing a SQL table optimise this morning as well as some re-indexing so things may be slow and the server may be unavailable for short periods (~20 seconds).

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 03-02-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

I'll be doing a SQL table optimise this morning as well as some re-indexing so things may be slow and the server may be unavailable for short periods (~20 seconds).

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 03-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #19
jmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post

Cheers
Russ
Hey Russ I have some scripts that help with the mysql and Apache tuning process if you are interested pm me ;-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Mazda 3 MPS Aurora Blue Gone :(
-=PG SRI - PG Inlet - ETS TMIC - GFB Hybrid BOV - Best Mufflers DP - Eibach Pro - AccessPort STG2 - Autotech HPFP - ITV22 - Michelin PSS=- (198Kw/466NM ATW)
jmac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #20
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Has anyone been getting the page coming up (after trying to load into a thread) saying Database error?

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #21
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6T0Y View Post
Has anyone been getting the page coming up (after trying to load into a thread) saying Database error?
I would guess that it is part of the work russ is doing behind the scenes

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 03-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #22
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quite correct - whenever I restart mySQL you'll get a db error as it's obviously not available for the time it takes to restart.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 03-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #23
Bam

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write up on Air bag installation. 

Even the home page was slow to load tonight. 2300 users online at 2150 hours.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #24
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
2321 (746 members and 1575 guests)
Its the Guests. Ban them, Ban them all

Last edited by 99AUXR; 03-02-2013 at 11:26 PM.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #25
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Perhaps the high number of guests is because there are a number of forums that were previously private, are now available for guests to open? Unsure when these became open for guests to read but perhaps this could be a reason for the problem?
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #26
BionicXR6
Banned

There is also an issue with the forum where one is not able to un subscribe from threads via the drop down menu under thread tools. This is also causing an issue with still listing read subscribed threads in the user's control panel.
BionicXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-02-2013, 11:26 PM   #27
stevz
Banned

The forum has been painfully slow for me tonight..
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #28
Bam

Hate to say it but it's doing it again. As at the time of this post, the home page took about 30 secs to load and the User CP hadn't finished loading after 2 mins. Approx 2300 users online. Cross-checked other sites and they were OK, hence it's not my ISP.

I had a similar problem during peak hours yesterday. Off-peak hours (eg. 0600) were OK.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 PM   #29
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

It's not load related as I've resolved those issues however we are clearing the SQL cache every couple of hours and that will result in long queries for a few minutes while the cache rebuilds.

However, that is the lesser of evils as what was happening was that the system would run low on memory when getting a lot of queries and then it starts doing what are known as low memory prunes of the cache.

In simple terms, these are a bad thing as they cause all the memory addresses used by the query cache to be rebuilt and performance suffers - flushing the cache every couple of hours allows the cache to rebuild gracefully and has less of a performance impact.

We will also be doubling the primary memory in the server so that some of those thresholds can be raised in order to avoid this issue - or at least flush the cache less often.

When I first started the tuning exercise the low memory prunes were going up every hour so that by the early evening they were in the half million bracket whereas now they are in the low thousands and not increasing until late at night.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 09-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #30
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

very slow for me today
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post