Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-11-2005, 11:18 AM   #241
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesa-EF
blueoval nice work man...

seriously

now that I'm in holidays, it's time to hit the gym
Thanks mate. Go hard dude! :jab:

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2005, 02:43 AM   #242
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Gauntster]Mate you have to have carbs, main source of energy, the less refined the better ie: rolled oats, potatos(not fried and definately not hot chips!), sour dough bread or whole meal if you can't find the other, whole meal pasta, etc.

The idea is to have the majority of your carbs in the morning and at lunch eg: two thirds of your breakfast should be carbs the other third is protein. The opposite at dinner eg:one third carbs(mainly from vegetables), two thirds protein.

The main idea is to keep your blood sugar level down, intake as little as possible in the way of sugar(as you have pointed out).

A simple exercise and eating program would be something like this:
Portion sizes may vary with the individual!

I agree with most of the above but carbs after 12 noon is detrimental! You need high protein as the body increases its metabolism dramatically to absorb it. Stay away from white carbs, eg bread, rice, it comes down to their GI index ( blood sugar level)( sweet potatoes one of the best). It is true to exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach as your body is still burning energy whilst asleep. Equivalent to an engine idiling over. At this stage your body has burnt all the (muscle glyogen) stored carbohydrates & you will be burning pure fat!, just wait an hour after your exercise in the morning & you will burn even more. If you want to pig out do it in the morning, your body then has the whole day when you metabolisim is at a higest to burn it. Go for the high protein eating plan, it has been a known fact for years from body builders & fitness fantactics & only now has it come into vogue by all the high profile stars using it. Ensure you drink a lot of water which helps metabolise fat & take a multi vitamin plus vitamin c every day, Yes vitamin c the most common & underated vitamin. Creatine Monohydrate is good but works better with a lot of water & you must drink it with juice etc, something with a high Gi to absorb it quick, you will also have to avoid durietics (coffee, coke ) etc to get the maximum effect.

Finally weights & cardio! do your weights first & then do cardio after. After a weights workout you have burnt all the muscle glyogen & then you do cardio, same as morning routine, pure fat burnt!

Enough rambling good Luck!
Old 08-12-2005, 08:36 PM   #243
parawolf
beep beep

Okay, i've been riding to work the past two days... this rocks, enjoying it immensely. However for a long time i've been on a fairly calorie controlled diet my general day consists of the following:

* 1/2 a cup of skim milk on two weat bix hi-bran at home, then a coffee with skim milk at work.
* Lunch would usually vary between noodle box (or similar), sushi, sandwich and a diet soft drink (usually diet coke vanilla or sprite zero)
* Dinner would usually be a calorie controlled meal from "Lite n' Easy".

I'd be drinking about 2 litres of water a day as well. So thats about 1000 - 1200 calories a day.

Now i'm riding to work, it's only about 8km and takes about 20minutes, however I am absolutely ravenous. I'm drinking up to 5 litres of water in day now in an attempt to curb the hunger but by 11am it's all out war for me to take lunch. So i eat my regular sort of lunch. And then i'm hungry again at 3pm. Dinner at about 7pm, and then by 9pm i'm starving again.

I know I am now well and truly burning more than 1800 calories a day (got a Polar heart rate monitor). So this obviously explains it, has anyone else experienced this? and how did you combat it? I'm thinking some nibbles like nuts or something similar but the cravings are for lots of food - like muffins or anything with some real mass.

What suggestions do people have for these cravings?
Old 09-12-2005, 01:33 PM   #244
pb02
inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
What suggestions do people have for these cravings?
Aim to have 6 meals a day, two hours apart. That way your body will be using up what your putting in more efficiently. Try to make the meals a little smaller, replace the sushi with sashimi (less carbs because there is no rice) and you can have a larger meal of the sashimi.

A larger meal with a longer break in between will be stored as fat and not burnt off as well as if your body is eating regularly and smaller portions. Does that make sense?

Also if you need to snack, raw Almonds and Brazil nuts are great, full of protein and essential oils.
pb02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 03:36 AM   #245
Franky
Bring back the Phase

I'm eating well I wouldn't call it crap it's just less crap than the real thing for example... instead of eating biscuits i'm eating these fat free corn chips which are suprisingly addictive but even if I eat half the packet it's only 5 grams of fat instead of 20 or so.

By doing this i'm losing about .6kg per day on average with a perfect day but alcohol is hurting my progress hehe. Mentally though 80kg for me is my next goal and i'm not stopping till I get there, only 6kg more to go
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2005, 09:41 AM   #246
Panda
XR6 and XR8 Club of QLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb02
Aim to have 6 meals a day, two hours apart. That way your body will be using up what your putting in more efficiently. Try to make the meals a little smaller
This was suggested to me - eat more often, but have smaller meals.....I thought it was absolute crap till I tried it.

I have breakfast at 7:00am, smoko at 10:00am, lunch at 1:00pm, an afternoon snack at 4:00pm, tea at 7:00pm and maybe a snack at 10:00pm.

I feel that I am always eating, so it never once feels as though I am on a diet or anything. I never crave for anything (don't really go for 'health foods' just smaller meals) and I have lost weight constantly. This, combined with regular exercise (1 hour every 2-3 days) has been great for me. As with the majority of people in this thread, I don't want to look like Arnie, just lose some fat and tone up a bit. I don't do it so that other people will say 'gee you look good', I do it so that I think 'gee I feel good'.

My only regret is that I didn't find out this sort of information when I was 18.

Panda
Old 10-12-2005, 09:49 AM   #247
xespac

One diet you don't do (which I did...my own diet)

8 slices of toast a day with 2 glasses of milk and 3 laps around the block for 3 weeks....it' called hard diet and in my case it got the better of me. I was 100kg then i got down to 85kg and then I soured to 110kg where I stand now.... I really need to get back on diet (but a proper one) I getting heart pains and getting head spins because i eat too much junk food.

One the hard diet when I got down to 85kg I felt extremely happy, and I was more open with myself... not now though.

If I was a smoker I can gurantee I would be a skinny bastard, I mainly eat of bordem and if smoke was my source for enjoyment i'd be thin.... last month I was goin to see how smoking was but backed out.. I rather die an old man not a young man.
xespac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2005, 12:05 PM   #248
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Well I just got out of hospital. I was in for 2 and a 1/2 weeks for pnumonia plus other complications and Im down to 68.4kg. Now I'm still recovering and I dont suggest this is at all the best way to lose weight, but effectively I have surpassed my weight goal. In total I have lost 22kg from when I have started. Now I must get back to bed!

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 01-01-2006, 11:39 PM   #249
tbearz

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Well I just got out of hospital. I was in for 2 and a 1/2 weeks for pnumonia plus other complications and Im down to 68.4kg. Now I'm still recovering and I dont suggest this is at all the best way to lose weight, but effectively I have surpassed my weight goal. In total I have lost 22kg from when I have started. Now I must get back to bed!
dude that sucks big time that you got sick, but on the bright side lance armstrong wouldnt have go to where he is if it wasnt for the caner (too detailed to go into here). Hope you didnt lose too much of your muscle mass. I med we learnt for 3 weeks of lack of weight training it takes 6 weeks to gain that back... hope 2006 is nicer for you
tbearz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2006, 12:42 PM   #250
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbearz
dude that sucks big time that you got sick, but on the bright side lance armstrong wouldnt have go to where he is if it wasnt for the caner (too detailed to go into here). Hope you didnt lose too much of your muscle mass. I med we learnt for 3 weeks of lack of weight training it takes 6 weeks to gain that back... hope 2006 is nicer for you
Thnkas mate I appreciate the compliments. I know of Lance Armstrongs ordeals. He sounds like a top bloke. I have lost a bit of muscle mass off the legs and a bit off the arms as I havent been using them coz I've been stuck in bed. I havent been to the gym for tha past month but I do plan to get back into it when Im on my feet. I look like a stick now, but I have lost the fat where I wanted it so I can start fresh and look at conditioning my muscles rather than working on weight loss all the time. Upper body conditioning will be my main target but with regular bike riding for my lungs and for my legs.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 03-01-2006, 12:57 PM   #251
Franky
Bring back the Phase

ok i'm close to my target weight but after losing so much I still have a bit of toning to do to get rid of a bit of excess skin before I lose the last 5-10kg.

Just wondering if anybody had the same problem and how did you go bout it.
Franky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2006, 10:04 AM   #252
XR6Gal
Just Super Happy now :)

I started a diet/exercise regime on Tuesday, since then I've lost 1.5kgs, 6cm around my waist, 4 cm off my bust (nooooooooooooooooo) and 3cm off my thigh... My current aim is to loose 5kgs before I go to Victoria at the end of the month! Long term aim is to loose 15 kgs by my birthday in March!

PhantomBA XR6 (Sold), now a VW owner (don't hold it against me )

& also a CM Valiant Wagon, gotta love the old Val's
see her progress here
NOW SOLD :( but now have a
Honda CBR250 Motorbike

Last edited by XR6Gal; 06-01-2006 at 10:09 AM.
XR6Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2006, 12:16 AM   #253
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I need to lose some weight ... Bec wants to as well ... I think i am going on a diet ... seeing as she does the cooking ... I am forced on a diet ... LOL

Anyway our wedding is in 9 months time ... so we are starting now.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2006, 09:57 AM   #254
rob_liss_lms10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it is great that every one is concerned about their health enough to watch what they are eating,however,watching your weight go up or down is like doing a dyno run,an indicator only.dont get to caught up with the scales.IMO only, the true test is pant/skirt size.with doing weights, as already mentioned,you will gain muscle mass(weight) and could take that as a bad sign because the scales tell you so.measure body size and do pinch test of body fat for the true test of body size and let the scales be an indicator only.
this is only my thoughts and by saying this I congratulate all who are trying to get in shape. eating bad food is like smoking...a hard habit to to break!
well done to all.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:45 PM   #255
masters24
I gots me a UTE

Is it too late to join in, i want to loose weight, but am un-motivated at the moment

masters24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 04:12 PM   #256
XR6Gal

tis never too late to join in!

Update for me: after 1 week Ive lost 2kgs, 5cm bust, 7cm waist, 6.5 thigh & finally some movement in my hips .5cm...heheheh

see her progress here
Honda CBR250 Motorbike
Old 12-01-2006, 04:33 PM   #257
parawolf
beep beep

Well since starting cycling to work just before christmas I weighed myself. 87kg.

I'm now just under 85kg. I haven't changed my eating primarily because my habits are fairly good.

My prime aim is to lose a little bulk around the legs and thats happening... also to trim the fat on the upper half of my body. So i've bought one of those inflatable balls, doing for doing situps on (getting onto the carpet hurts and the dogs jump on me to play). And i'm doing some free arm weights as well.

I'm happy with 85kg, 82kg would be excellent, but I want to focus on losing the fat so i'm making sure with my cycling that i'm doing a high rpm rather than cranking along in a high gear.

Just keep spinning!
Old 12-01-2006, 05:12 PM   #258
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Just an update, I have maintained my weight at 70kg's without having to do any excercise. But that could be due to the fact that I am still unwell. I have a bit of excess skin hanging around, and when Im up to doing physical excercise I'll start up some toning routines to firm up. I still want to get ripped eventually but I guess I got to look at first things first.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 12-01-2006, 09:07 PM   #259
16wantsI6
iRegular crossmember

im 5"9 and weigh 75kg. im into doing weights but havnt for a few weeks because im visiting my mum in sweaty stinky hot qld and dont have my dumbells :( ,the BMI says im at a healthy weight but my ideal is 67 kg. although i would prefer to be bigger (stocky) like not fat big but big and be healthy which i am. so ive got a good template body and just need to tone up now, which i have been since ive hit my teens (16) as i used to be podgy.

5 spd manual
2 1/2" manta S/S exhaust
After market alpine/soundstream stereo

18" tyhpoons
superlows waiting to go in....
spoilerless
16wantsI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2006, 11:25 PM   #260
XR6Gal

Well after 13 days I've lost a total 3.3kgs, 10cm off waist, 7cm off hips (finally some real loss there) 5cm off bust & 6.5 off thigh....not bad going...my goal is 5kgs by Australia day so my goal is well in reach!

see her progress here
Honda CBR250 Motorbike

Last edited by XR6Gal; 17-01-2006 at 01:14 AM.
Old 16-01-2006, 11:29 PM   #261
max^power
Formerly au^ute

I've lost 8kg's all up. slowly but surely. My aim was 10 by heathcote.. not going to happen i dont think. 8 weeks into a personal training program.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2006, 01:03 AM   #262
Kapn_Kiwi
It is hard...

Hell, I'm joining. I think I'll post a bit more when I'm more organised.
Old 17-01-2006, 10:59 PM   #263
masters24
I gots me a UTE

Well, I started the old weight watchers idea again. My boyfriend is joining me too. I am currently ashamed to tell my weight but i will build up the guts to let you all know...
I am planning on losing 16kg... it will be a long hard jouney, but i want to look hot at my wedding in a few years time...

Old 17-01-2006, 11:12 PM   #264
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Well my trainning schedule is going to plan, I've been doing a bit off weight trainning for 3 month's now and I've put on 12kg's, so I'm happy with that, I'd like to put on another 6-7kg, but it's getting harder, the main key is to eat the right food's, high protein, carb's.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 02:42 AM   #265
mo eltlaser d

Smile This will lose you weight...

Howdy,
if you want to lose weight this is all you have to do.
With discipline stop eating or drinking anything with sugar and or white flour products or white rice.

So, no coke etc., cordial, alcohol, sugar in tea, you should really stop coffee also.
Only wholemeal or similar flour and grains.
Basically anything processed to a certain degree is no good.
Instead of white bread eat wholemeal, rye etc, don't eat white rice eat brown or better, don't eat cakes unless wholemeal and don't eat white spaghettis or noodles eat any of the other varieties, preferably organic, which many are.
Cut down on meat and substitute with veggies and or fish.

Bottom line just don't put white flour products or sugar products in your mouth.
You will lose weight.
Add exercise once comfortable with new eating habits and you will go from a clapped out Camry to a balanced XR8.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 05:20 AM   #266
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

woo000 galaxy made 2000 posts.
i've been trying to gain weight for the last 12 months and it hasn't worked in fact i lost 3 kgs i think i'm under th BMT thingy 5'11 62kg
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 01:21 PM   #267
masters24
I gots me a UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeltlaser
Howdy,
if you want to lose weight this is all you have to do.
With discipline stop eating or drinking anything with sugar and or white flour products or white rice.

So, no coke etc., cordial, alcohol, sugar in tea, you should really stop coffee also.
Only wholemeal or similar flour and grains.
Basically anything processed to a certain degree is no good.
Instead of white bread eat wholemeal, rye etc, don't eat white rice eat brown or better, don't eat cakes unless wholemeal and don't eat white spaghettis or noodles eat any of the other varieties, preferably organic, which many are.
Cut down on meat and substitute with veggies and or fish.

Bottom line just don't put white flour products or sugar products in your mouth.
You will lose weight.
Add exercise once comfortable with new eating habits and you will go from a clapped out Camry to a balanced XR8.
Thats all well and good, but for a 17yr old chick living with 2 20yr old guys, that isnt that easy to do, i think i will stick to my plan, thanks all the same though...

Old 19-01-2006, 09:03 PM   #268
mo eltlaser d

Ok masters24,
good luck with it whatever you do.
And don't forget you can lead by example with the two blokes you live with.You might be surprised at their responses when you start to achieve visible results

Remember, white flour and sugar are your enemy.

Otherwise, have fun!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2006, 09:38 PM   #269
parawolf
beep beep

I've now lost 3kg since Christmas just by riding to work every day. I've started on a longer route to and from work, started out doing 9.4km each way, now i'm doing 15km each way. Also riding 50km Sundays.

Though i'm a little concerned that cycling is going to get boring, so Saturday mornings i'm going to ride 3km to the local YMCA fitness center with a pool, and do some swimming for about 30 minutes or so. Only about $5 for a swim and a locker so not too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6gal
Well after 13 days I've lost a total 3.3kgs, 10cm off waist, 7cm off hips (finally some real loss there) 5cm off bust & 6.5 off thigh....not bad going...my goal is 5kgs by Australia day so my goal is well in reach!
How have you done this? I would have said most of this loss is water, but the cm loss you are talking about is incredible. I hope you are being sensible about this. The important thing about weight loss is to make it a complete lifestyle change so it can be maintained. No point losing weight only to gain it and more afterwards.
Old 19-01-2006, 09:52 PM   #270
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwigybo
woo000 galaxy made 2000 posts.
i've been trying to gain weight for the last 12 months and it hasn't worked in fact i lost 3 kgs i think i'm under th BMT thingy 5'11 62kg
It really comes down to setting out a schedule and sticking to it, mainly focusing on your food habbit's, lot's off protein, egg's, fish, skinless chicken, and have a balenced diet off carb's for the energy, and weight tranning and sticking to it, and it really depends on how active you are, you might be burning more calories than you consume, so you may need to up the intake but don't think eating crap food like takeaway which is known to put on weight will help, it won't, you need to eat right and train to turn that into muscle, you really don't know how weak you are untill you start weight tranning, when I 1st started I could only bench press 50kg for 12 rep's x 3 set's, now I'm 100kg for 12 rep's x 3set's, I'm aiming to weigh 90-95 kg before easter, I think I need to up my intake though as I've hit a hurdle.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post