Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 10-07-2017, 04:48 PM   #1
spiker

Default Interested in buying a Focus

Hey there, My elderly Mum is looking to downsize from here Ba Futura, feels its getting a bit too big for her. She likes the look and feel of the 2012 and younger Focus, but has been getting alot of negative feedback on them (admittedly from people who have never owned on, you know the usual they cant cope with Australian condituions etc ) So the question is are they reallyy that unreliable or is it just hearsay?
spiker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2017, 05:34 PM   #2
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Interested in buying a Focus

Is 2012 pre- dual clutch gearbox?
Either way avoid models with the dual clutch gearbox like the plague.

Otherwise they are pretty good cars and deal with Aussie conditions no worries. Would recommend mazda3 also (similar mechanicals to focus).
Old 10-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #3
spiker

Thanks for the info, good to know. Also looking at the Mazda 3 and Hyundi i30, but we have always been a Ford Family so unless we get a really good deal we will probably go the Focus
Old 10-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
GYRKIN GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
Is 2012 pre- dual clutch gearbox?
Either way avoid models with the dual clutch gearbox like the plague.

Otherwise they are pretty good cars and deal with Aussie conditions no worries. Would recommend mazda3 also (similar mechanicals to focus).
And your comments are based on what??? What you've read???

Since you're so knowledgeable about such matters, perhaps you could explain to 'spiker' the difference between the "wet" dual-clutch and the "dry" dual-clutch. When you're finished doing your research, come back and tell 'spiker' just what a brilliant car the Focus can be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GYRKIN GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-07-2017, 09:31 PM   #5
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

please less agro
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2017, 09:41 PM   #6
GYRKIN GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
please less agro

Fair enough. Frustrated by 'Pups'
Old 11-07-2017, 12:06 AM   #7
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

The LW / LW II Focus with the Petrol engine has had a wealth of problems with the Powershift dual clutch transmission, which is now the subject of a class action lawsuit, in multiple countries.

To be clear, this only affects the models fitted with the petrol engines, which use a dual, dry clutch six-speed transmission.

Other models, such as the diesel models, are not affected by the same transmission issues, as they use a wet-clutch design.

Plenty of posts regarding this on the forums here.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2017, 12:19 AM   #8
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Although not all of those Focuses have had problems (and the wife and I have had 3 dual clutch auto's, 2 of them Fords with no issues), it's probably safer to suggest an LZ model if your mum can stretch to it.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2017, 12:41 AM   #9
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Spot on In_Focus. Spiker, the LZ model Focus went back to a traditional torque converter style automatic.
Old 11-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #10
GYRKIN GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus View Post
Although not all of those Focuses have had problems (and the wife and I have had 3 dual clutch auto's, 2 of them Fords with no issues), it's probably safer to suggest an LZ model if your mum can stretch to it.
And, that's why I got a little hot under the collar. A global comment to "avoid models" with a dual-clutch is wrong. Like you, experience tells me different!!!! And, because such global comments are made and heard/read by the public, the value of unaffected vehicles diminishes!!!! To clarify, I do not own such a vehicle, other members of my family and extended family do. They have not had any problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bannister Law has created the perception that 68,000 vehicles are afflicted with the same issue. That figure, obviously, represents the total number of vehicles sold with a dry dual-clutch transmission and not that all 68,000 are problematic. It's a Law Firm attempting to run a Class Action in Australia!!! That, in itself, should be enough to encourage one to look more closely at their motivation!!!!! Do you really believe Bannisters are doing this because they feel so sorry for all those poor Ford owners.

Back to the original question, perhaps, to be absolutely sure, Mrs Spiker might consider a turbo diesel Focus. But, no matter what car she looks at, she needs to look carefully at it's service records.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #11
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYRKIN GT View Post
And your comments are based on what??? What you've read???

Since you're so knowledgeable about such matters, perhaps you could explain to 'spiker' the difference between the "wet" dual-clutch and the "dry" dual-clutch. When you're finished doing your research, come back and tell 'spiker' just what a brilliant car the Focus can be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Review your attitude mate. That's all I'm going to say.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:44 PM   #12
spiker

Thanks all for your help. Tried the mazda 3 today which she hated. Just didn't feel right. Looks like the Focus is the go. She has talked to a few people with a Focus today and they report no problems. Looks the puplic peception is way off.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #13
redvxr8clubby
Starter Motor

I only have a Fiesta (2012 WT 80,000kms) not a Focus, but I'd say if they are similar ownership experience, my Fiesta manual has been great. I would have no problem recommending, however I would stop short of recommending anyone to buy a Powershift model which would be any LW or LWII in a Focus with auto trans. Yes I understand not everybody has the problem, I suspect people living outside the city may not have too much trouble, but someone commuting in heavy traffic could well be different ownership experience. Personally I like the Focus but would only buy a manual if an LW or LWII model. At least if you buy one, Ford has extended the warranty on the transmission, still I'm not sure how you go if you have a problem, you're not the original owner and if the car hasn't had Ford service all along. Given you're looking at 2012 (or newer) they are of course 5 years old. If you still decide to buy one at least check out the warranty aspect of the transmission as factory warranty - not aftermarket warranty. Good luck.
redvxr8clubby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2017, 06:16 PM   #14
GYRKIN GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiker View Post
Thanks all for your help. Tried the mazda 3 today which she hated. Just didn't feel right. Looks like the Focus is the go. She has talked to a few people with a Focus today and they report no problems. Looks the puplic peception is way off.
Very simple, buy a diesel LW or LW II. Your Mum will have no problems with the dual-clutch, it's a wet transmission. And, providing she's not sitting in bumper to bumper traffic in peak hour traffic each day she'll have no issues with the particulate filter either. She will love the diesel Focus!!!
Old 11-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #15
4dlvr
4dlvr

Hi Spiker,

i just purchased a new Focus LZ trend. Loving the car to bits
4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2017, 07:29 PM   #16
paulb351

Is the indicator stalk placement an issue? Have elderly mother and when looking at a car with left hand side indicator it was an issue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paulb351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #17
redvxr8clubby
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb351 View Post
Is the indicator stalk placement an issue? Have elderly mother and when looking at a car with left hand side indicator it was an issue...
There's a point, I drive my Fiesta, 2 Holdens and a Forester, the Fiesta is the odd one out in that bunch. Doubt it's a deal breaker though.
redvxr8clubby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2017, 10:13 PM   #18
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The other thing to keep in mind was the LW Focus driveshaft recall. It affected 2013-2014 petrol models. I am not 100% on the exact build dates on the cars that were recalled. The recall meant that the driveshafts/ CV shafts had to be replaced on those cars. If you end up buying a Focus in this date range, worth checking with the owner if they got the recall and if So, whether they had the recall work done.
Old 12-07-2017, 12:06 AM   #19
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ours is an early 2014 and had the driveshaft update, and I suspect had the new ceramic clutch slipped in at the last service.

I seem to remember there was another transmission upgrade starting with early 2014 models as well, so maybe worth remembering that as well if you are going for an auto model.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2017, 04:02 PM   #20
stig_3754

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb351 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 2013 ST has the stalk on the right side, I'm assuming the Thai built LW's are in the same boat?

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2017, 09:28 PM   #21
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord View Post
The LW / LW II Focus with the Petrol engine has had a wealth of problems with the Powershift dual clutch transmission, which is now the subject of a class action lawsuit, in multiple countries.

To be clear, this only affects the models fitted with the petrol engines, which use a dual, dry clutch six-speed transmission.

Other models, such as the diesel models, are not affected by the same transmission issues, as they use a wet-clutch design.

Plenty of posts regarding this on the forums here.
I was in the market for an Auto Petrol Focus. The class action was a concern and didn't want to risk buying something that was the subject of much negativity. Would have loved another focus as I've owned 2 previously. But the Powershift issues sealed the deal for me and I purchased a different brand.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2017, 01:59 PM   #22
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My mate bought a used Titanium (petrol) from the dealer and hasn't had any issues despite knowing the negative feedback about them. No complaints from him yet.

It probably had the latest clutch pack, software and had the leaking seal fixed (apparently the source of all the problems where it would leak somewhere that affected the transmission). When these are all done it seems there's no problems anymore.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #23
spiker

Update,, Picked up 2013 Trend yesterday. End of financial year special. 60k kms, just had the transmission update so no issues with that, fully optioned with all the bells and whistles except for the adaptive cruise control. Its that awesome electric blue colour, one owner I checked with them and they had no problems with it, updated to a Territory cause of the 3 kids they have. Came with 12 monthes warranty. All for the price of $11,400. Did the insurance and they told us its insured for 13k lol
Old 19-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #24
spiker

Hey again. One issue i forgot to ask about is the wipers, they dont appear to do a full sweep if the screen, they stop at about 3/4s of their sweep. Is this normal or is the adjustment out?
Old 19-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #25
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiker View Post
Hey again. One issue i forgot to ask about is the wipers, they dont appear to do a full sweep if the screen, they stop at about 3/4s of their sweep. Is this normal or is the adjustment out?
Mine sweep up until they are pointing at the sky. Adjustment is probably out. It's all digital, there's a procedure somewhere online. It has to be told where the end is, where to stop.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2017, 07:03 PM   #26
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYRKIN GT View Post
And, that's why I got a little hot under the collar. A global comment to "avoid models" with a dual-clutch is wrong. Like you, experience tells me different!!!! And, because such global comments are made and heard/read by the public, the value of unaffected vehicles diminishes!!!! To clarify, I do not own such a vehicle, other members of my family and extended family do. They have not had any problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bannister Law has created the perception that 68,000 vehicles are afflicted with the same issue. That figure, obviously, represents the total number of vehicles sold with a dry dual-clutch transmission and not that all 68,000 are problematic. It's a Law Firm attempting to run a Class Action in Australia!!! That, in itself, should be enough to encourage one to look more closely at their motivation!!!!! Do you really believe Bannisters are doing this because they feel so sorry for all those poor Ford owners.

Back to the original question, perhaps, to be absolutely sure, Mrs Spiker might consider a turbo diesel Focus. But, no matter what car she looks at, she needs to look carefully at it's service records.
Something for your reference mate.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/570156/a...arousel&slot=0
Old 31-07-2017, 04:42 PM   #27
spiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post

Thanks Mate. Luckily sevice records indicate that the trans issue has been addressed on the car about 2 months ago