Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 06-04-2015, 09:12 PM   #31
Ruination

Default Re: NBN Fibre to the Node (FTTN) - What does it mean to us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Our little street got done over a year ago. Fibre to the premise, the funny thing is not a single person on the street is signing up to NBN as it is quite expensive and personally I am very happy with my current broadband arrangements.

We live on a street with a lot of retirees, pensioners so not much interest talking to my neighbours.

Would of preferred that they did Fibre to the node and we simply pay to have a further connection. Seems like a huge waste of taxpayer money on something that none of us requested. At least it future proofs the houses.
So wrong, so so wrong.
NBN pricing is extremely competitive, and there are so many variables that can change the pricing.

I was previously on an adsl2 500gb a month plan with iinet, $69 a month.
I now have NBN with them 500gb, with the fastest speed possible 100/40mb (yes, you can choose slower speeds and pay considerably less)
I also have fetch tv included and a voip telephone with all hardware included. For $89 a month.
Now if you consider the slowest speed possible on NBN which I think was standard adsl 2 speeds of 25mb it was $20 cheaper.

I also have the NBN battery backup and all NBN hardware installed at no cost.
I suggest your retiree mates do a bit of research before grumbling over it.

Maybe YOU don't want to be living in the now with the awesome technology on offer, but Australia is decades behind in communication infrastructure compared to the rest of the world.

If you honestly think this is a waste of taxpayers money, you should consider the billions wasted on everything else this government throws money at.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2015, 05:02 AM   #32
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradles024 View Post
I've still got some time left on my adsl contract, do I need to wait for that to finish or do they just change it over?
they my want to extend/renew your contract at no cost.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-04-2015, 06:59 AM   #33
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradles024 View Post
It's hooked up to a telstra box which is also outside of the house.

Do they let you know when it's ready to go? The guy that installed it didn't have any answers.
No it's not. Have another look.
The conduit from the nbn box goes into the conduit that goes to the street. It doesn't connect to the Telstra box that has nothing to do with nbn at all. That is the old copper connection box, which connects leadin to internal cabling
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2015, 07:55 AM   #34
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
Live 15 minutes west of Brisbane/Ipswich, no internet of any description unless we use Mobile G3. (Gotta have an Arial on the roof though). Interestiong the mob, just 3km west of us, (yes further away from the city), have ADSL2+ and are getting NBN in three months.
Contacted NBN, told we will go on wireless NBN in 2022. Said, what a bout the new satellite being launched next year, nope not us, that reserved for rural subscribers. Should be fun!
According to Pisasale the whole of Ipswich and surrounds was supposed to be NBN ready this year. I checked the NBN website when I moved out to Yamanto that it was being done and groundworks were being completed. Fast forward nearly 9 months and that hasn't changed.

The last house I used to live in was FTTP and it was awesome. Now I'm on ADSL2+ and it is pathetic. We know we have NBN connections ready at the new place as it is marked on the garage floor. Just have to wait more I guess...
Old 07-04-2015, 11:59 AM   #35
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a bit sad really, our decision makers have never heard the old saying " do it once and do it right.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2015, 12:04 PM   #36
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Both sides are more for playing political point scoring to win short term rather than long term goals unfortunately.

Maybe if we had 10 year terms things might look up a little.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #37
icantgetthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Both sides are more for playing political point scoring to win short term rather than long term goals unfortunately.

Maybe if we had 10 year terms things might look up a little.
Too true.

Not many governments want to put money into infrastructure as they don't see the benefits in their term.
Sad way of running things.
icantgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #38
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruination View Post
It'll be hard to stream Netflix with adsl2 in HD. So many variables to consider.
My quick calculations determine Netflix at 720p chews about a constant 450kb/sec. So provided ya got at least a 6 or 7 meg sync (Below the Australian ADSL2 Average) it should be sweet.

Source: I've used over 100GB of Netflix traffic in the last 12 days lol
Old 07-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #39
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post
My quick calculations determine Netflix at 720p chews about a constant 450kb/sec. So provided ya got at least a 6 or 7 meg sync (Below the Australian ADSL2 Average) it should be sweet.

I cant even watch youtube properly at the moment on 360/480p, its not stable, even connecting at 7mbps.

I seem to be connecting anywhere from 3-7mbps.
Old 07-04-2015, 04:02 PM   #40
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware View Post

I've got ADSL2+ (slow, but it's there ) and a 500GB download limit, if I need it............ just can't get netflix yet !
Old 07-04-2015, 08:14 PM   #41
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by icantgetthis View Post
Too true.

Not many governments want to put money into infrastructure as they don't see the benefits in their term.
Sad way of running things.
That's because when they do, come voting time, we forget and jump on a new train.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2015, 08:21 PM   #42
icantgetthis

If they were in the job to do the right thing for the country that wouldn't matter.

If they continued to do the right thing they would stay in I guess.
icantgetthis is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #43
Ruination

I think many people are slightly confused on the difference between a connection speed and a download speed. Connection speeds are measured in Megabits and your download speed is in Megabytes. Two different things.

A bit of light reading for everyone on this forum
http://opensignal.com/knowledgebase/...nd-megabit.php

ADSL2+ caps out at 24Mb/s (note here its in Mb not MB) So the highest download speed you can achieve on ADSL2+ is 3MB.

Now to add in all the variables that will affect your ADSL2+ download speeds.
  • Your distance from the exchange
    The location of the item you are downloading
    The weather (This is when your archaic copper network will suffer)
    The traffic on said copper infrastructure
    ANY other item connected to your network at home

There are many more things that can be listed, but this is off the top of my head.

But to my point, its unlikely you'll ever reach that 24Mb/s connection speed, you literally have to be inside or right next door to the exchange to achieve it, unlike fibre NBN, where you can get 100Mb/s from anywhere, any distance.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:45 PM   #44
burnz
VFII SS UTE

handy little site..

http://www.numion.com/calculators/time.html
Old 07-04-2015, 11:29 PM   #45
pitrack_1
Possible owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTF6 View Post
And who are the lucky ones who got (FTTP), fibre to the premises..?
MY wife's grandparents in Strathfield, Sydney NSW.

Quote:
...and how and why?
By telling telstra their old copper line was scratchy (and it was), the area may have been due to be done anyway.

Quote:
Re: NBN Fibre to the Node (FTTN) - What does it mean to us?
(Thread title response)
It means you get a delicate (very easy to damage) little fibre running into your house instead of a copper wire.

It means you get a couple of extra boxes mounted somewhere for conversion as the fibre needs to be converted to...copper wire to talk to everything else anyway! If you get it done, make sure the boxes are properly mounted in a safe, dry, protected, ventilated but accessible space. And what's inside (one of the) boxes? Why it seems to be a DSL/ADSL modem...You may have other converter boxes too (even ADSL filters) to use your everyday phones, faxes, etc.

It means you have one line for your phone, fax, internet, auto-dial alarm system, etc. So when it's damaged, you lose everything. Not good for a doctor 2 days before Easter.

It means when you look at the box to see what the connections are and whether you need any more of the grab bag of dongles such as ADSL splitters, you find a fibre that's too long, been stripped of its sheath too far, also its (outer at least) cladding a bit too far and the too-long cable has not been spooled around correctly inside the box. So when you try to (very carefully) place it back in and the cover on, the fibre gets jammed in the cover's clips, kinking the cable (and breaking the inner glass fibre). Connection gone at this point. Then you remove the cover again to discover this, plus the spliced end in the connector is loose anyway and comes out... aaargh!

How do I know the fibre stuff above? I used to study, work and teach in a Uni optics/optoelectronics lab. We used to splice our own fibres and couple signals in and out during labs. With the right tools I could have cut, stripped and spliced the fibre back in myself. Given that, you'd think I'd know better how to be extra-careful not to damage the fibre in the first place!

It means you have to wait at least a week to have it fixed (Wed to Wed) as you have to book a technician through Telstra whom you get the service through. But Telstra don't actually control the technicians as the NBN has been separated...not good for a doctor needing to be in contact with a hospital. Thank goodness for SIM-card based USB/wi-fi hub devices.

I haven't tested it, but I suspect if the power goes out you will now lose your communications as well (unless there's some battery back-up in the power supply for the modem- second wall-mounted box mentioned above). This is not good for any essential services, medically dependent persons, etc. who need to be 'on call' in case of emergencies. The old copper-based phone system could still work with a basic handset and without domestic electricity as it was self-powered.
pitrack_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2015, 04:51 AM   #46
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruination View Post
So wrong, so so wrong.
NBN pricing is extremely competitive, and there are so many variables that can change the pricing.

I was previously on an adsl2 500gb a month plan with iinet, $69 a month.
I now have NBN with them 500gb, with the fastest speed possible 100/40mb (yes, you can choose slower speeds and pay considerably less)
I also have fetch tv included and a voip telephone with all hardware included. For $89 a month.
Now if you consider the slowest speed possible on NBN which I think was standard adsl 2 speeds of 25mb it was $20 cheaper.

I also have the NBN battery backup and all NBN hardware installed at no cost.
I suggest your retiree mates do a bit of research before grumbling over it.

Maybe YOU don't want to be living in the now with the awesome technology on offer, but Australia is decades behind in communication infrastructure compared to the rest of the world.

If you honestly think this is a waste of taxpayers money, you should consider the billions wasted on everything else this government throws money at.
So NBN is still more expensive than top of the line ADSL2. Honestly not interested. My $39 a month internet is fine. Personally I don't want taxpayers spending tens of thousands hooking up 9 houses then I having to spend an extra $50 a month for something I don't require. If I was doing more videoconferencing from home then I definately would pay the extra!

It's all about priority, you want faster than ADSL. My neighbour would love a full time care giver and I would love the local road overhauled where three people have died in the last 6 years. There is only so much money to go around sadly.

I agree in investing in infrastructure, and gladly accept it but would rather the money spent on getting better access for some people in this thread who have shocking internet.

Last edited by Brazen; 08-04-2015 at 05:00 AM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2015, 07:21 PM   #47
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitrack_1 View Post
(Thread title response)
It means you get a delicate (very easy to damage) little fibre running into your house instead of a copper wire.
false, it's placed in the same conduit as the copper.
more flexible than copper (more resistant to damage)
Quote:
It means you get a couple of extra boxes mounted somewhere for conversion as the fibre needs to be converted to...copper wire to talk to everything else anyway!
false, your router plugs into the 1gbit lan conection
Quote:
If you get it done, make sure the boxes are properly mounted in a safe, dry, protected, ventilated but accessible space. And what's inside (one of the) boxes? Why it seems to be a DSL/ADSL modem...You may have other converter boxes too (even ADSL filters) to use your everyday phones, faxes, etc.
no filter needed as the phone has it's own ip address.
Quote:
It means you have one line for your phone, fax, internet, auto-dial alarm system, etc. So when it's damaged, you lose everything. Not good for a doctor 2 days before Easter.
there are five ip addresses to use if need be, you are allocated two as standard
one for comp and one for phone
Quote:
snip
Old 08-04-2015, 10:29 PM   #48
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
So NBN is still more expensive than top of the line ADSL2. Honestly not interested. My $39 a month internet is fine. Personally I don't want taxpayers spending tens of thousands hooking up 9 houses then I having to spend an extra $50 a month for something I don't require. If I was doing more videoconferencing from home then I definately would pay the extra!

It's all about priority, you want faster than ADSL. My neighbour would love a full time care giver and I would love the local road overhauled where three people have died in the last 6 years. There is only so much money to go around sadly.

I agree in investing in infrastructure, and gladly accept it but would rather the money spent on getting better access for some people in this thread who have shocking internet.
In my case why should my tax payer $$$ go to things like hospitals and carers for the elderly considering I'm 23 years old and I don't need them.

I'd rather it going towards something I would actually use, like high speed internet.

See? Not all about me and you its about us as a whole I guess.

Maybe NBN should have been opt in?

Though I imagine it would effect house prices if say you didn't opt in for it because you didn't want it, then when it comes time to sell the house - do you have NBN connection?

No.

Well I have to pay an extra $20,000 to have it all run to the house so I'm looking elsewhere.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:08 PM   #49
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

I live 11km by the shortest route from the nearest Exchange, which is full.

I get ADSL1+ and I wasn't meant to get that as I'm too far from the Exchange AND I'm connected (well, was) to some sort of pair-sharing infrastructure. I just nagged until they relented (and Telstra Countrywide in Bendigo were brilliant). It's better than the 64k ISDN (128k without the telephone) I did have, but that's not saying much.

We're not that far from Damo, the entire area is not on NBNCo's radar. I emailed them earlier in the week asking why this is the case, seeing I'm 90km from the centre of Melbourne and about 5km inland from a major freeway but nothing back yet.

Meanwhile if you check the NBNCo coverage area they're rolling out fixed wireless to the rest of the state...but not the Macedon Ranges.
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2015, 11:18 PM   #50
pitrack_1
Possible owner

Burnz,

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
false, it's placed in the same conduit as the copper.
Yes, but the part I damaged was outside (the end of) of the conduit. Sorry I didn't take a photo to show you.

Quote:
more flexible than copper (more resistant to damage)
Agreed more flexible, not subject to corrosion, short circuits, etc. But somewhat more delicate to crimping damage, at least in my experience.

Quote:
false, your router plugs into the 1gbit lan conection
OK, must be the 1GBit LAN connection I was referring to. But the connection from the 1Gbit LAN to the router (and phone?)is via network cable (CAT5/6), which would be copper? That's all I meant...

Quote:
no filter needed as the phone has it's own ip address.
Ahhh, thanks, that makes sense. I assume one of the boxes does the conversion from analogue signal to the digital/IP so 'normal' phones can be plugged in? They don't have a special phone, just 'normal' DECT phones.

Quote:
there are five ip addresses to use if need be, you are allocated two as standard
one for comp and one for phone
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Now it's just for me to pay the bill to have it fixed...
pitrack_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2015, 11:29 PM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
Meanwhile if you check the NBNCo coverage area they're rolling out fixed wireless to the rest of the state...but not the Macedon Ranges.
Yep, we've got nothing and look to be getting nothing and in my case I'm 65KM from CBD.

We're paying $125/month, used to be able to downloat at 1.6-1.8MB/s when it was first connected.

Then it dropped to 1.3MB/s.

Now its 400-550KB/S and unstable due to something happening between here and the exchange in the last few weeks.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:40 AM   #52
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Hey Damo,you sound like you're in a similar boat to me but my exchange is 30m from my back door and the pit where the line splits off of the main trunk line and comes to my house is 3m from my telephone socket. On a good day, when it's quiet, I can squeeze out 4Mb/s for short periods but it'll slow to 1Mb/s or less for the majority of the time. Telstra are sticking to their excuse of line congestion as the problem even though there's only 32 internet customers coming out of the exchange, all on ADSL+, and the majority of those only on 1.5k connections.

I'd suggest you get back on to them and renegotiate your monthly cost. Right now I'm down to $100 for a phone and internet bundle with all calls included and 200 gigs a month. Last month, after complaining about ongoing speeds I got a $90 discount for the month. I'll be on the phone again this month complaining as well to try and get more discounts or more download, considering I'm paying for an ADSL2+ connection just to get the download limit I have now.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Last edited by Bushbasher; 09-04-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 07:17 PM   #53
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher View Post
Hey Damo,you sound like you're in a similar boat to me but my exchange is 30m from my back door and the pit where the line splits off of the main trunk line and comes to my house is 3m from my telephone socket.
just because you are 30mfrom the exchange doesn't mean your cable run is that short. Chances are you still feed off a pillar that will be a few hundred metres away. Of course you could be on direct mains, but only a Telstra tech could tell you that.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 07:28 PM   #54
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Hey Damo,you sound like you're in a similar boat to me but my exchange is 30m from my back door and the pit where the line splits off of the main trunk line and comes to my house is 3m from my telephone socket. On a good day, when it's quiet, I can squeeze out 4Mb/s for short periods but it'll slow to 1Mb/s or less for the majority of the time. Telstra are sticking to their excuse of line congestion as the problem even though there's only 32 internet customers coming out of the exchange, all on ADSL+, and the majority of those only on 1.5k connections.

I'd suggest you get back on to them and renegotiate your monthly cost. Right now I'm down to $100 for a phone and internet bundle with all calls included and 200 gigs a month. Last month, after complaining about ongoing speeds I got a $90 discount for the month. I'll be on the phone again this month complaining as well to try and get more discounts or more download, considering I'm paying for an ADSL2+ connection just to get the download limit I have now.
I'm getting real bad connections to the US, to Telstra's own Melbourne servers Im now averaging about 4mbps, but to the USA its 300kbps-1mbps maximum to servers in LA.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:33 AM   #55
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Here is the speed test connection to the USA, its making things like Youtube unusable:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4278018951
Old 10-04-2015, 09:54 PM   #56
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Damo, the speed you're getting from a US server is faster than the speed I normally get from an Adelaide Telstra server. It's certainly faster than right now at 9.30pm on a Friday night.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2015, 10:01 PM   #57
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Damo, the speed you're getting from a US server is faster than the speed I normally get from an Adelaide Telstra server. It's certainly faster than right now at 9.30pm on a Friday night.
One of the guys here on AFF has NBN in Adelaide, lets move into his place
Old 12-04-2015, 02:17 AM   #58
deluxe_

Currently on Optus Cable and have no issues with speeds what to ever.

deluxe_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2015, 02:38 AM   #59
deluxe_

Quote:
OptusNet Cable speed

Technically, the cable supports download speeds of 100 Mbps (top premium speed offer) and upload speeds of 2 Mbps (0.25 megabytes or 250 kilobytes per second).

Note:
Cable networks work by grouping customers into areas known as "nodes". The customers within these nodes share one pipe for all their internet data.*

The base speed for subscribers is 30Mbps (or approx. 3.75 megabytes per second) downstream and 2 Mbps (0.25 megabytes or 250 kilobytes per second) upstream.

Due to the technology and it's implementation, you will experience slower speeds in peak times due to congestion. Further information is available from Optus' website here:

http://www.optus.com.au/shop/broadba...internet-speed
deluxe_ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2015, 10:29 AM   #60
Havoc
Banned

but thats what they do best now solutions rather then looking forward. By the time fiber to the node is finished they will have to dig up all the ******* copper lines from the node to the houses anyway how ******* stupid can you get.

Last edited by GasoLane; 12-04-2015 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Try to keep Political statements out of posts please.
Havoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: