Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Article supplied on BA IRS oil change 
Default Worst/best non-fatal accident you have seen

Reading the train accident thread in another section on here reminded me of a bad chemical spill I saw when working out in western QLD.

This mine site railed sulphuric acid from 2 different sites to the location and all rail cars were joined by a high pressure, chemical resistant rubber hose. To offload the acid, air pressure was pumped in one end which moved all the acid to the other end where a valve kept the back pressure on. The valve blocked and one of the hoses burst.

The rail system was right next to the open-structured building where I was (4 storeys up) and I watched as the leak quickly squirted its way up to my level. As I turned to run to the air-con (safe) control room, I was on the 2-way alerting everyone I could. Every piece of exposed steelwork (lots) turned rusty after that.

I found out later that 230 TONNES of sulphuric was dropped on the ground. That never made it to the papers.

Anyone have some interesting stories that would make your hair stand on end?

Cheers
Mick

Cleaning wheelie bins-
Cats are good too. Fill to about 20cm with water, add soap and cat. Hold lid firmly closed for two minutes. Be sure to stand well clear when releasing cat.

All Whirlpool gold.
PimpMyHubcap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish i had some photos , But i bought some stuff on ebay a while back an when i went to pick them up the fella showed me some photos of a xr6t ute he had that he put sideways into a power pole at 80+ . The xr was completly in half chassis and all and back of the cab was crushed . But the fella ended up with a bruise on his shoulder an that was all .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

I saw one first hand (from the inside). My Mum and I were driving back to Yarraman (little country town in QLD) when she went to sleep doing about 100kph. I was only 12 or so at the time and after travelling on a long straight coming into a corner I realised Mum wasn’t turning the wheel. I yelled at her, she woke up and reefed the wheel, the ol XD broadsided, and then rolled, it them proceeded to flip nose to tail for a bit (I remember getting a BLOODY good look at the centre lines in the middle of the road) and then landing on its undercarriage and sliding to the other side of the road facing the way we came.

My Mum had to be cut out of the car with the use of the "Jaws of Life" cutters (I think the Ambo said it’s the first time he'd seen them used), it took about 1 hour or so. They raced her off to Kingaroy Hospital. And me, well I bumped my head, got out and didn’t have a scratch on my side of the car, except maybe there were no wheels left, but the paint and panels were all good!

I have some pics at home somewhere, when I get home today Ill see if I have any pics. Poor XD was trashed! The driver’s side looked horrid!

Oh yeah, we went back to the place of the crash, and realised that if I hadn’t said anything to Mum we would have gone off the edge of the road and down a 16 foot drop.

Oh one more thing... SPEED HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!!! Lucky back then the "Cops" had a brain they were allowed to use.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Still remember my own in my BA, traffic on the highway stopped suddenly, so I turned off the highway slightly to stop someone hitting me from behind, good thing I did as a Truck came down skidding with locked brakes opening the side of the car up like a tin can, the then hit the festiva in front of me at full speed, knocking her out of the stopped left lane and straight into the free flowing right hand lane.

Some how she made it through a gap in traffic and came to rest in the median strip.

Also worth noting that my sister was behind me in her astra, and as I hit the skids she couldn't stop in time so she swerved on to the highway shoulder, so as my car was being torn open i looked to my left as my sisters car drifted through the dirt.

If she hadn't of swerved, or I hadn't of swerved, I guarantee there would of been lots of more serious injuries as he lost a lot of speed by the time he got the Festiva
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Driving up the old pac highway or whatever highway goes the up the coast from woollongong to sydney, we were travelling up a hill in my mums 80 Series landcruiser RV, big bullbar(alloy i think it was) on a 2 lane road, to our left was the cliffface(road was cut into the side of a mountain) and to the right was the other lane and the guard rail.

Coming towards us was a Telstar with a 60 something yr old pilot in it. We think he either had a heart attack or he fell asleep at the wheel. Either way he blacked out and came straight for us - mum drove as far into the gutter as she could and he hit us at about 90-100 on the front drivers quarter. Snapped the bullbar clean in half, ripped open the telstar like a tin car, the landcruiser was a complete write off - all the footwells were pushed in, grandma had a lump on her noggan the size of a eggplant, my mum was in shock but fine, i had faceplanted into my knees(lap belt in the middle)

the other bloke ended up dying, i remember seeing him in the car after i got out
of the landcruiser, he had blood dripping off him.. I think that desensitized me somewhat..

whole scene was a mess, im happy passers by helped with traffic and that no one else got into the accident though
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 02:20 PM   #6
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67-FKD
Still remember my own in my BA, traffic on the highway stopped suddenly, so I turned off the highway slightly to stop someone hitting me from behind, good thing I did as a Truck came down skidding with locked brakes opening the side of the car up like a tin can, the then hit the festiva in front of me at full speed, knocking her out of the stopped left lane and straight into the free flowing right hand lane.

Some how she made it through a gap in traffic and came to rest in the median strip.

Also worth noting that my sister was behind me in her astra, and as I hit the skids she couldn't stop in time so she swerved on to the highway shoulder, so as my car was being torn open i looked to my left as my sisters car drifted through the dirt.

If she hadn't of swerved, or I hadn't of swerved, I guarantee there would of been lots of more serious injuries as he lost a lot of speed by the time he got the Festiva
I must say that I'm impressed with your sisters driving! Is she single? Just kidding, I'm engaged anyway. If either of my sisters was in the same situation I'm sure they would have just closed their eyes and hoped for the best!
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had this one in march

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=5139

a fiesta hit at 140kph i was doing around 80kph
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedjay
i had this one in march

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=5139

a fiesta hit at 140kph i was doing around 80kph
Cant see the pics unless you join teh pajero forum

Any chance of posting them here?
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
I must say that I'm impressed with your sisters driving! Is she single? Just kidding, I'm engaged anyway. If either of my sisters was in the same situation I'm sure they would have just closed their eyes and hoped for the best!

if it wasnt for the fact she was texting at the time im sure she would of been able to handle the situation a LOT better ;)
Old 20-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Theres a simular thread in the show and shine section that I posted these in but any how

I dont normaly post MVA photos as most of the times the ones I see that make you say OMFG are quite distressing.

this one happend some time ago but so I figure its OK to share it now, so heres the supporting story

About 3am Saturday morning we got a call to a MVA car alight possible persons trapped, fairly run of the mill for a Friday night Saturday morning 9/10 of them are nothing more than a stolen car and some well meaning passer panics when they see it, but you have to treat every call as a serious call, any how we arrive on site and there's 2 police cars already there (Not normal) and the wallipers are scratching there heads, they tell us that the car has left the road hit the tree and a passer by was driving past as it burst in to flames.

So we knocked the fire out quickly.

The car has hit a tree left of center but still head on, so hard that the A pillar complete with both passenger side doors and rear 1/4 have gone one side of the tree the turret has crumpled like a news paper around the tree and the rest of the car has gone the other side (check out the photos, it was a big hit) any how that brings us to the next predicament, “where's the owner / driver or thief?”

We searched and looked and searched some more, the dog squad came out we searched up the road ad down the road looking, looking, and found nothing, then the police came over and told us we could mop it up and go home, this guy had climbed out of the wreak, called his girlfriend and went home, fortunately for us she convinced him to call the police in case some one was looking for him, the short story is this guy has climbed out and simply walked away, and waited on the corner to be picked up.

I also had another one not so long ago where the driver decided to do a U turn at hte base of a crest in a little hatch back the guy coming over the hill was in a heavy 4WD with all the shiny bits it detached the front of the car at the fire wall it riped the rear axel out thand burst the fuel tank and every one walked away infact the guy in the hatch was even debating if he would be tansported to hospitol for a once over

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 05:15 PM   #11
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Holy Cow Yeti - the fact that bloke is alive is divine intervention indeed!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #12
DJR David
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi all, for the best aviation and shipping accidents have a look at cargolaw.com

It is a US lawyers office for transport insurance and has some very cool pictures and often stories to suit. Hours of fun and timewasting!!! :

David
DJR David is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 05:33 PM   #13
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Article supplied on BA IRS oil change 

Wow Yeti,

No amount of lotto/casket tickets can make up for that one :

Cheers
Mick

Cleaning wheelie bins-
Cats are good too. Fill to about 20cm with water, add soap and cat. Hold lid firmly closed for two minutes. Be sure to stand well clear when releasing cat.

All Whirlpool gold.
Old 20-05-2009, 05:35 PM   #14
PimpMyHubcap
You wanna do what??

Thats sort of off-topic DJR but I will be reading through that site. :evil_laug

Cheers
Mick

Cleaning wheelie bins-

All Whirlpool gold.
Old 20-05-2009, 05:43 PM   #15
xalent
Red Eye Racing

I was following a semi-trailer sheep truck two weeks ago. He took a bend a little too fast and I watched the top start to tilt over, then the rear tyres left the ground till over she went. Was an awesome sight to watch, though the aftermath wasn't too pretty. I pulled up behind it, no -one else around, and walked alongside the overturned truck. Engine was still running so I climbed up the bull bar, walked along the side of the engine cover and stood on his door. Sat down on the exhaust stack and opened the door. Amzingly he was OK, seat belt was just hanging him there mid air. I got him out and we climbed back down. Man, he was only 20 years old, driving a now not so neat Western Star. He landed and slid along a guard rail, tearing a big line right down the side of truck and trailer. Most of the sheep were not so lucky, more than half didn't make it. I was just lucky there were no passengers in the truck at the time, coz it would have been ordinary to say the least. He told the cops he had only just put his seatbelt on 10 mins earlier when he passed a cop doing breathos.
xalent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2009, 07:53 PM   #16
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

My wife watched a Kia family car/4x4/hunk of junk clean up a guy on a Yamaha R1 in our area.

I ran over to her cause from the phone call I got from her I took it that she had done it, fortunately it wasn't her but she was first on scene. She said watching him fall out of the sky is something she won't forget in a hurry.

When I rocked up on the scene (like 250mt from my place) the poor guys head was bleeding, his shoulder was bleeding and his leg had snapped at 90 degrees. He was conscious the entire time and moving, as far as we know he's all good and the Kia driver was charged for reckless driving.
Old 20-05-2009, 10:24 PM   #17
gtfpv
GT

I Guess Everyone Is Going To Talk About Thier Own . The 2 I've Been In That Were Spectacular . 1st Was A HQ holden when i was 19 . i was a passenger in the back with no belt on . ( crazy) however it may have saved me . my mate had just changed the front springs to v8 ones for the up and coming v8 project . he wanted to show me how it handled . he came up to a t intersection and hung a left turn at about 80kms an hour and floored it . the front wheels lost traction and the accelerator spring came off causing the worked 202 to stay at WOT . STRAGHT into a telagraph pole head on at 80kph. i saw it coming and dived behind the drivers seat. the results were bruised shins from hitting the seat and his 2 fists going through the steering wheel and into the instrument cluster . we wer all ok though .
the 2nd was travelling on the M4 at 90kms an hour and gettiing hit from behind so hard that the bumper bar ended up in the back seat, the car was a commadore travelling at a speed unknown but must've been fast, apparantely i was hit because i was in the way of 2 cars racing , on the m4. i was uninjured physically , but the shock and post trauma lasted some time .

Last edited by gtfpv; 20-05-2009 at 10:32 PM.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 02:11 AM   #18
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Just remembered another, many years ago in my XD i was coming south on the sunshine coast motorway just past chancellor park as it went to 2 lanes and about to merge onto Bruce highway.

As the road went to 2 lanes i was doing about 80kph in a 100 as it was raining (like torrential, cyclone rain...) and the ol XD;s wipers and tyres werent the best, anyhow, a 200SX was behind me, not tailgating or anything but i knew he wanted to get around, and i figured hed use the 2 lanes to do so

so anyhow, cruised along in the right had lane (the added lane was on the left) and i saw him turn his lights on, and indicate left, right off he goes i think, so i wait for him to come up on my left, im waiting, waiting, then finally i see his bonnet appear, but know that hes literally going to run out of road as that lane ends and merges back into mine, so i watch the rear view to see him pull back in behind me, only to see him hit the ditch (about a 1.5 mtr drop) and watch as the Nissan rolls head to tail approx three times, a significant accident.

i pull over as soon as i get on the highway (about 300m and around the bend away) and run back to the car, to notice the bloke and his mrs in perfect condition standing on the side of the road wandering how the heck they survived.
Old 21-05-2009, 02:50 AM   #19
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmm. brings things back from memory . wrote 2 cars off . both fwd. 1 mine 1 borrowed . both in wet weather taking a turn. one thing i learn`d was you
cant powerslide into a corner @ and steer by throttle dous`nt work
(ps this was 20 years ago)
Mickxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 05:40 AM   #20
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Cant see the pics unless you join teh pajero forum

Any chance of posting them here?
heres two
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 09:27 AM   #21
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow Zedjay you are one lucky man

Iremember one as a kid i was asleep in the back of a landrover up in the high country (Dargo) we were traveling along a track that was about 20 odd metres up from a from a river . we came across another 4x4 and we had to take the river side the track edge gave way and we rolled down the embankment 4 times from memmory

i was seen by the other people floating out the windscreen the only way i was seen was the head light that didnt break put a shadow of me on the bottom of the river bed

was a cold trip home with no windows in the rover

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 12:20 PM   #22
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha atleast you got home jason!
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #23
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Mine involves a train, no one was killed so I will post it.

Back in 2003 coming home from work by train (work in Melb, live in Ballarat) and at around 5.30pm just after we left Ballan and had gotten back up to speed (130kmh, it was a 3 car Sprinter) all of a sudden the driver hits the emergency brakes and horn. Next thing we knew there was an almighty BANG followed by a lot of vibration and dust followed by a couple more bangs and shunts. Finally came to a stop and all I could feel was the carriage "teetering" as if it wasn't on stable ground. Realising that we had obviously come off the tracks and then noticing where we were I came to the conclusion that this was bad, the way the train was tilting meant that we were on the verge of a 15ft drop. I immediately got up and yelled for everyone to go to the high side of the train (my side, in the second car) which surprisingly everyone did (including the two hotties opposite me). It was the worst feeling though trying to comfort those two girls when over my shoulder all we could see as the dust was settling was the front car badly damaged and laying on its side in a ditch. We all managed to get out with a few of us assisting the young and elderly to get down from the car.

Once we got out it was hecktic, trying to get people away from the trains to a "safe" area and then watching others trying to get to those trapped in the front car while I went to grab the fire extinguishers on board (CFA weren't on site as yet) and then went to see what we had hit. Found a few people milling around what was once an XF ute, heard hissing saw a red sticker on a number plate, got them the hell out of there along with myself. A couple of CFA crews arrived and I pointed out what had happened to the controller and advised him of the gas leak on the ute.

I then decided it was time to sit down, the blow to the back of the head that I received from a bag of books was starting to hurt...A LOT (lol @ injury by literature.

btw I was trained in basic first on scene emergency management.

I've even managed to find a news article lol

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...917671248.html

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...674438874.html
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #24
mickvxbs
bogan

Default Dont drink and drive!!

This isnt my fault but its a good example of why you shouldnt drink drive(the guy that hit us was drunk).

We pulled out of a side street turning right onto a main road, it was night but i could see fairly well and saw a car coming a fair bit away, it was a 2 lane carriage way so i pulled into the far left lane, unfortunately he was going a hell of a lot faster than i had judged(we were in a 70 zone and his speed was estimated at about 150) and just as we had straightened up he cleaned up the back of us. The force spun the car backwards off the road, cleaned up the gutter (which stuffed my simmons), a tree was also mowed down and clipped a telephone pole. the end result below...No it didnt buff out!

the seats have slide backwards off the rails.

I've seen a few over the years but this one was memorable.

Driving up Ipswich rd at annerley i was doing about 65-70 and was passed by a motorbike with pillion doing a little bit more(maybe 85) just as they got to a intersection(Chardons hotel for those that know the area) a torana pulled across in front of them, they hit with enough force to spin it in the air 3 lanes, it then landed on a traffic island, they on the other hand went straight in the air i'd say at least 3m with the bike following them. By the time i stopped(i was first on the scene) the driver/rider was up and the pillion was getting up, barely a scratch on either of them. it got a bit weird after that with panic about the whereabouts of a back pack and stuff going into the drain ;)
mickvxbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 08:41 PM   #25
pottsy44

150k's or not. bad judgement call on your behalf as well.
pottsy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2009, 09:03 PM   #26
mickvxbs
bogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottsy44
150k's or not. bad judgement call on your behalf as well.

true. luckily we lived to make others.
mickvxbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 02:33 AM   #27
divyb

i saw this thread and thought id add mine,
im 24 and this happened when i was two

a drunk driver decided to drive stright threw a round a bout at a high speed hit the car my mother sister and i was in car rolled 4-5 times and the back window went straight into the left side of my face
there was soo much blood on me and because i was in shock the ambos thought i was dead but the end result me a 2yo with 98 stiches on the left side of my face

ive had around 6-7 operations now to make the scars smaller and now you wouldnt even know which is a good end result

thats the reason too why im soo agenst and hard on drink drivers
divyb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #28
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by divyb
i saw this thread and thought id add mine,
im 24 and this happened when i was two

a drunk driver decided to drive stright threw a round a bout at a high speed hit the car my mother sister and i was in car rolled 4-5 times and the back window went straight into the left side of my face
there was soo much blood on me and because i was in shock the ambos thought i was dead but the end result me a 2yo with 98 stiches on the left side of my face

ive had around 6-7 operations now to make the scars smaller and now you wouldnt even know which is a good end result

thats the reason too why im soo agenst and hard on drink drivers

THATS SAD MATE MY EYES WATERED UP READING IT . I'M GLAD YOUR OK . BUT YOUR MUM WOULD BE A DIFFERANT PERSON SINCE THAT DAY.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2017, 11:35 PM   #29
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: Worst/best non-fatal accident you have seen

I have been fortunate as I have never witnessed a serious accident occur. Have driven past numerous accidents which were already being attended to by the emergency services.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2017, 12:36 PM   #30
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Worst/best non-fatal accident you have seen

Morbid subject.
1967, I had been in the RAAF less than 3 months, and watched as a Vampire jet failed a take off. Fire, smoke, and 2 pilots dead. Parts of crash helmet and skull in a bucket not pretty.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post