Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-06-2017, 03:04 PM   #1
FordFocusTitanium
Starter Motor

Cool LW TDCI aftermarket BOV and Air Filter

Hi Guys

Its my first post here as i have just purchased a 2011 LW focus Titanium Diesel.

Its going to be a daily so I wanted it to be a quite ride but still a bit of air intake sound and Bov would be nice.

Any Idea what will go on it? Even a flat panel K&N replacement for original?

Thanks

RAY
FordFocusTitanium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2017, 04:16 PM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Re: LW TDCI aftermarket BOV and Air Filter

Hi, yours has a cylindrical, rather than flat panel air filter, significantly pricier than a flat panel filter. I'd be lookig at K&N or BMC personally.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2017, 04:33 PM   #3
FordFocusTitanium
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord View Post
Hi, yours has a cylindrical, rather than flat panel air filter, significantly pricier than a flat panel filter. I'd be lookig at K&N or BMC personally.
Thanks mate....

Anyone inregards to BOV?
Old 30-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Blow off valves aren't typically used on diesel engines. Blow off valves vent off excessive pressure between the compressor and the throttle body. Diesel engines do not have a throttle body.

I do know that diesel specific BOVs exist - but I don't know much about them sorry. I believe they are for more highly tuned / bigger turbo diesel engines
Old 02-07-2017, 03:31 AM   #5
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bought a K&N E-2993 $70 SCA sale. More response on the low end. Looking to get an RS Airbox next.
Our diesels DO have a throttle body, weird I know. It comes off the Mondeo since we have the same engine as them. Do a part number search on what looks like a throttle body and throttle body comes up as an available part.
Yeah, weird.

I think our turbos are too small, I can hear the "blow off sound" when I shift up so there's something like it happening but I doubt it's worth getting anything.

Also, do the "snorkel delete" google it, easy to do. This combined with a better filter has been dyno-ed to prove that you can get some performance gains. They did a dyno test to settle the debate, haha.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I stand corrected. First diesel I've ever heard of with a throttle body! In that case - if the throttle body controls engine RPM as in a petrol engine - then a BOV should work.

Last edited by DZFord; 02-07-2017 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-07-2017, 05:06 PM   #7
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord View Post
I stand corrected. First diesel I've ever heard of with a throttle body! In that case - if the throttle body controls engine RPM as in a petrol engine - then a BOV should work.
I don't know head to tail about the focus, but the ranger 2.2 has a throttle body but it only shuts when you turn the car off to stop motor vibration. Revs are still controlled by fuel delivery I beleive.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #8
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My knowledge of diesel engines is very lacking but curiosity got the better of me and I had to research it. It looks like on these DW10 engines, the throttle valves are either there as an anti-shudder measure (as above), or to create some manifold vacuum for the EGR system. They do not really have anything to do with engine RPM / load, which is still controlled via fuel injection, as per your typical diesel engine.
Old 15-07-2017, 08:12 PM   #9
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did the RS intake, best bang for buck. Would probably still sound sick even with the stock filter.

Install was easy https://youtu.be/V3NODPJUx8Y
Old 19-07-2017, 06:54 PM   #10
FordFocusTitanium
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
Did the RS intake, best bang for buck. Would probably still sound sick even with the stock filter.

Install was easy https://youtu.be/V3NODPJUx8Y

Hey thats awesome mod you did there...how much was the RS box and thats a K&N filter right?

Any video of the actual sound? inside/ outside car
Old 19-07-2017, 10:44 PM   #11
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The RRP is $149, I can get it a lot cheaper though. Yeah K&N E-2993, wait for it to go on special when SCA has their 30% off online days. No video yet of it in the car, but it sounds a bit like a Fiesta ST if you've ever been in one of those.

Last edited by stefcio007; 19-07-2017 at 10:53 PM.
Old 20-07-2017, 06:04 PM   #12
FordFocusTitanium
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
The RRP is $149, I can get it a lot cheaper though. Yeah K&N E-2993, wait for it to go on special when SCA has their 30% off online days. No video yet of it in the car, but it sounds a bit like a Fiesta ST if you've ever been in one of those.
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...-E-2993/388273

This one?
Old 20-07-2017, 06:41 PM   #13
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah, that's the one.
Old 23-07-2017, 01:39 AM   #14
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFocusTitanium View Post
Hey thats awesome mod you did there...how much was the RS box and thats a K&N filter right?

Any video of the actual sound? inside/ outside car
It sounds quieter in the video, remember I have a diesel engine so it's probably going to sound a lot different to petrol cars. All up I'm happy with the mod and the extra noise for price/satisfaction ratio. When cruising on the freeway it is basically stock noise, no drone which is perfect. The sound is sweeter when shifting down funnily enough, up sounds good too but different.

Note: This also has the CRTD2 tuning box installed set to program 10.

https://youtu.be/noRjiE0KEWo