Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 13-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #1
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 
Default Posts in threads acting weird.

Just noticed today when using my HTC phone that some posts in threads have the text way over to the right side of the page and pics not appearing in some instances.
It's not happening with every post in a thread, but from what I can see, it seems to be posts from members with the 10 Year achievement award badge.
Anyone else had this problem or is it my phone that's playing up?

Linz's 2004 Winter White BA RTV Ute

2004 Winter White BA RTV Ute...HIS

2024 Titan Grey Hyundai Tucson Highlander...HERS
Linz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2017, 06:25 PM   #2
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Default Re: Posts in threads acting weird.

this happens to me on the laptop and phone all the time, i thought it was a settings thing
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-03-2017, 06:51 PM   #3
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: For his technical submissions. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with good, solid advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pis-ton broke View Post
this happens to me on the laptop and phone all the time, i thought it was a settings thing
My desktop is fine, just the phone is a problem...only happened today for some strange reason
Just took a pic of the problem, this is one of my posts in my build thread which should contain a couple of pics...

Also noticed that the green Donating Member font has been replaced with "donating member 1" and "achievements" text has a box highlighting around it too??

Old 13-03-2017, 06:56 PM   #4
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

That has happened on my iPad a few times. I think it's an indication you have a virus.

Dump history, cookies etc. Restart device and it always comes good.

Been looking at 'naughty' sites on your phone Linz?

Old 13-03-2017, 07:53 PM   #5
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
That has happened on my iPad a few times. I think it's an indication you have a virus.

Dump history, cookies etc. Restart device and it always comes good.

Been looking at 'naughty' sites on your phone Linz?

Not that I'm aware of Rob
Seems funny that it happens on some posts in a thread and not others
For some reason, my phone did a truckload of updates overnight, so maybe that has something to do with it...hafta find a kid to show me how to dump my history, eat my cookies and kick the phone in the gutz now

Old 14-03-2017, 05:24 AM   #6
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

No, it seems to have been caused in the transition to SSL and only for the phone based apps. We are looking into the cause.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-03-2017, 08:27 AM   #7
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Hi Russell,

It is also happening on my Ipad using the normal web based browser (Safari), and not just the app.
It also is happening on my Apple Mac at home using Safari as well.

Thanks
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2017, 08:54 AM   #8
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Happens sometimes on my iPhone using chrome browser. Is fine in the Tapatalk app on same phone. Haven't noticed it on my computers chrome (either mac or winblows)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
cat007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #9
Pis-ton broke
Banned

post no.3 is right over to the right, on my laptop. this happens mostly with pictures
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2017, 05:44 PM   #10
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

It’s happening on my Apple Mac with safari at home to.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2017, 05:49 PM   #11
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Try deleting website data on your mobile device.

On Mac got to preferences, privacy, manage website data and filter on fordforums.com.au. Delete cookies and data.

You can also select the "develop" tab in Safari if you have it enabled and delete cache.

That fix may only be temporary.
Old 14-03-2017, 07:19 PM   #12
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I get this just now

cat007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2017, 07:52 PM   #13
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat007 View Post
I get this just now

Yep, that's it...

Old 15-03-2017, 05:35 AM   #14
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linz View Post
Yep, that's it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linz
My desktop is fine, just the phone is a problem...only happened today for some strange reason
Just took a pic of the problem, this is one of my posts in my build thread which should contain a couple of pics...

Also noticed that the green Donating Member font has been replaced with "donating member 1" and "achievements" text has a box highlighting around it too??
The replacement of the image with text is indication that your browser isn't downloading the element (image in this case) probably because it sees those as insecure. The achievements box has always had a text box surrounding it!

The issue we have at the moment is that we are still supporting SSL2 and SSL3 even though they are not recommended for use with SSL any more and more modern browsers will see those as insecure (which they actually are). Not all browsers, however, yet support the three varieties of TLS (the replacement for SSL) and neither does our current server OS.

At this stage, clearing cache should provide a temp fix and the users most impacted are probably Safari users as it has no tolerance for non TLS elements.

We have upgraded the test server to the latest OS version and will work toward an Easter migration to that server.

Regards
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2017, 03:03 PM   #15
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
The replacement of the image with text is indication that your browser isn't downloading the element (image in this case) probably because it sees those as insecure. The achievements box has always had a text box surrounding it!

The issue we have at the moment is that we are still supporting SSL2 and SSL3 even though they are not recommended for use with SSL any more and more modern browsers will see those as insecure (which they actually are). Not all browsers, however, yet support the three varieties of TLS (the replacement for SSL) and neither does our current server OS.

At this stage, clearing cache should provide a temp fix and the users most impacted are probably Safari users as it has no tolerance for non TLS elements.

We have upgraded the test server to the latest OS version and will work toward an Easter migration to that server.

Regards
Russ
Thanks Russ,
What I meant to say is that the "technical contributor and tech writer" text beneath the achievement box has a border surrounding it, same as the "donating member 1" beneath the Moderator text in my pic above.
Not being all that computer savvy, I have no idea what SSL/2/3 and TLS mean, or how to clear caches etc. on my android phone, so I'll ask my nephews to see if they can help
AFAIK, I'm use internet explorer with my phone, is this similar to safari?

Old 15-03-2017, 10:32 PM   #16
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It appears to be mixed content issue for the reasons Russ said.

The images that do not appear in Linz's screenshot are absolute references using http not https where as the ones that do appear are relative.

As they use different protocols some browsers do not like the mixed content.

It is very easy to replicate the issue in IE on desktop by disallowing Display Mixed Content in security settings. This is a global setting however.

As you said you use IE on your phone it could be the same thing but I'm not familiar with IE on phones and what settings it does/does not have.

In IE on the desktop, the console will log errors such as

SEC7111: HTTPS security is compromised by http://fordforums.com.au/images/DM3.jpg
File: showthread.php
SEC7111: HTTPS security is compromised by http://www.fordforums.com.au/images/.../community.jpg
SEC7111: HTTPS security is compromised by http://www.fordforums.com.au/images/medals/tech1.jpg
SEC7111: HTTPS security is compromised by http://www.fordforums.com.au/images/medals/valued.jpg

Chrome - but it does not block it on my computer as they are warnings but the https will change from green lock to grey 'i' icon.

Mixed Content: The page at 'https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=5897987#post5897987' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure image 'http://fordforums.com.au/images/DM3.jpg'. This content should also be served over HTTPS.
VM388 showthread.php?p=5897987:4262 Mixed Content: The page at 'https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=5897987#post5897987' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure image 'http://www.fordforums.com.au/images/medals/community.jpg'. This content should also be served over HTTPS.
VM388 showthread.php?p=5897987:4262 Mixed Content: The page at 'https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=5897987#post5897987' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure image 'http://www.fordforums.com.au/images/medals/tech1.jpg'. This content should also be served over HTTPS.
VM388 showthread.php?p=5897987:4262 Mixed Content: The page at 'https://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=5897987#post5897987' was loaded over HTTPS, but requested an insecure image 'http://www.fordforums.com.au/images/medals/valued.jpg'. This content should also be served over HTTPS.

Some browsers may have an icon in the address bar that when clicked on allow you to show the block content and get around the issue.

The screenshot in cat007's post is weird. It is rendering the images but also looks to be doing the same with the alt text although it is not visible.

Last edited by MITCHAY; 15-03-2017 at 10:55 PM.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2017, 12:47 PM   #17
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Well, everything seems to be back to normal now...except no pics in posts

Old 17-03-2017, 08:08 AM   #18
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

The no pics in posts happens in some browsers (at least Firefox and Safari) because where there is mixed content (i.e. secure and insecure) on the same page they won't display the insecure content.

For Firefox there is a suggested fix HERE

We will gradually educate users that they need to post their photobucket images using https (which it supports) and then the issue will go away.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 17-03-2017, 08:48 AM   #19
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
The no pics in posts happens in some browsers (at least Firefox and Safari) because where there is mixed content (i.e. secure and insecure) on the same page they won't display the insecure content.

For Firefox there is a suggested fix HERE

We will gradually educate users that they need to post their photobucket images using https (which it supports) and then the issue will go away.

Cheers
Russ
Is this as simple as just putting an"s" at the end of the http?
Old 17-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #20
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Absolutely - I've tested with both photobucket and imgur and they both accept the https version of their URL's.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 17-03-2017, 10:07 AM   #21
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

sweet.
Old 17-03-2017, 09:06 PM   #22
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just checked and the absolute references are now coming through with https so the original issue should not be a problem in any browser.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2017, 01:52 AM   #23
Linz
*SILVER SERVICE PILOT*
Donating Member1

Just edited all of the pics in my current ute build thread by adding the all important "S" and all is well again on my phone...thanks guys