Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-08-2019, 01:56 PM   #1
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Back in the day what car would you buy

I was thinking about back in the 1960's what new car would I of bought and why.
I remember asking my dad why he bought the new HR Holden special 186 auto over the XR Falcon 500 200 auto and he said that he just liked the HR better.
I was with him the day that he bought the VG Valiant 245 2 BBL ute, it was a toss up with that or a HG Holden 186 ute and he asked me what I thought was the one that I liked best, I said the Valiant and he bought it.

Now I was thinking what year was the best to buy new in the years, you can challenge this if you wish as I would like to debate it, as to sedans.

1961 XK Falcon 144 manual I would go for.
1962 RV1 Valiant 225 auto any day a better car.
1963 AP5 Valiant
1964 EH Holden Premier 179 auto
1965 AP6 Valiant 225 auto Regal
1966 VC Valiant V8 auto Regal
1967 XR Fairmont V8 auto
1968 XT GT T Bar auto, because of the C 4 auto is magic.
1969 you can't get a HT GTS350 or GTS308 4sp until Sep so XW GT 4sp it is.
1970 HT GTS350 4SP.
1971 HG GTS 308 T Bar auto
1972 HQ GTS 308 T Bar auto but 4sp would be fine to. as the 350 it is gutless crap and the auto is just pathetic but the XA GT 4sp would be the most powerful but I do not like the 4sp unless you are driving it flat out fanging but around town it's a pain as it's so heavy and clunk clunk change I hate and the FMX auto is crap the T Bar has the right set up, but the FMX is boring dopy box, not as shockingly hopeless as a Holden's T 400 but still boring.
I don't like the rear leaf springs under the Falcon as you can not push them as hard at high speed over 180 KM/H in corners they become a danger but the HQ one can just sit back and hold it flat with out a worry, but it understeers like a pig at low speed turns and the GT does not.

So I would say what was the best car to drive flat out doing distance of 400KM say and you can enjoy it, getting to destination not warn out and eager to party on as tho you just came in from next door. that's the thing that points to a real drivers car is it not.

Or how about a Rover 3500s or Leyland P76 V8 4SP Targa Florio or Chargers E55 340 V8 would have to be Valiant's best high speed touring car.

One may wonder what the Europeans though of our cars at the time as they think nothing to drive at 200km/h from top of Germany to Italy.
And looking at an old Australian 1971 Rover Brochure it was boasting of a comfort cruising speed of 90mph I think.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Back in the day what car would you buy

Yeah, you lost me when you said you would buy a HQ.
Without doubt the worst rear suspension in the history of Australian Motoring.

I could never get my head under to actually have a look (because they were always dragging on the ground) but I suspect that ex-factory they used some form of marshmallow

Now, a HG 350 Monaro. Aside from the rust, that's something I could live with.

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 25-08-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2019, 03:40 PM   #3
marty351
Shenanigans..............

HQ-HZ Kingswood.

If they diddn't bounce off a brick wall, it would be demolished.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2019, 04:00 PM   #4
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice thread! Mind you back in the day for me was 90's when all these 60s and 70's cars were at the bottom of their depreciation curve...

I'll start at 1963 model year maybe with a couple of years between upgrades, with a bias toward 6's but some V8s in there:

1963 AP5 225 Regal (spells "Lager" backwards)
1967 VE Regal with 2bbl 225
1968 XT GT, agree.
1969 XW GS Fairmont 302 with the lovely C4. Great road cars. Gold stripes.
1970 XY GS Fairmont 302, with the radials and redwalls Honourable mention the 2502V, but the 302 is a light, tractable unit. In teal, gold stripes again.

(now in this time if choosing a wagon the Holdens were up there as a choice)

1972 Tough one... Probably the XA Fairmont GS 302, but there's the 265 Pacer and HQ GTS 308 as well, pretty good time really! The Holden understeered but had the nicest vision outside.
1974 XB Fairmont GS 302. Ford would've loved me as a simple, repeat buyer! So I choose a custom paint colour to make life harder for the factory...
1977, ugh, choice between the emissions control cars: HX, CL and the new XC... XC Fairmont GXL with the big banger 351 to offset the emissions, a narrow choice as the CL Regal was pretty good with the Hemi 265 6.
1978 - all changed, HZ Premier 308 with RTS. Well done Peter Hannenberger.
1980: XD for the size. Probably a Fairmont. Try a 6 auto.
1983: VH Commodore 253 SL/X. Had one in family, lovely car. A lot of you will choose the ESP, fair enough.

Rest of the 80's I go on strike. They say VL was the best but I've never been into them.

1988, EA vs VN, they are both pretty rough. Ford's sort them out eventually:
1992: EBII S-XR6 auto. Clear winner, best handling Falcon since XT GT and those beautiful GS 302s that followed. Some quality gains in EBII too.
1994: ED XR6 auto, (though I have the XR8 Sprint manual now)
1996 EL XR6 auto Dark green, if it was still Poly Green. Full body kit as it's horn.

1997 VT SS 304, in that dark blue, what a package.... This is another one of those times with a lot of choice like 1972. I'd equally take a Fairlane by Tickford, or an EL GT, or the last 185Kw EL XR8s.

1998 AUI Fairmont Ghia VCT, again what a package, (and I'm tyred of the VT - excuse the rear suspension pun). AU is a shocker but the high end cars look good, really good in regency red Ghia, and the engineering is solid. They outsold the high end Holdens too, bet you didn't know that!

2000 AUII Fairmont Ghia VCT
2001 VXII Calais supercharged, for something different.
2002 AUIII XR8 manual, for the Windsor, in Blueprint.
2004 BA XR6 Turbo in that dark purple colour, so nice!
2005 VZ SS with 6L and manual. A cracker.

Here there's a break: Holden has Adventra and Ford the Territory, but this is about sedans. A separate wagon/SUV list would be good too...

2007 VE SS 6L, quite an amazing product when new.
2008 BFII F6 Typhoon R Spec, legendary vehicle. In Lightning Strike.
2009 F6
2011 G6E turbo. Great product. Dark colour with tan trim.
Now after 2012 it gets a little Hazy - when did the Supercharged GT's come out? I'll have one of those.
2013 VF Calais V8, dodging their 6cyl. Beautiful interior new and a good outside makeover. Choose the white interior in Regal Peacock green.
2014 FGMk2 G6E Turbo.
2016 FGX XR6 Turbo Sprint. The ultimate Barra and ultimate Aussie.
2017 VFII SSV Redline.

Last edited by Sprintey; 25-08-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #5
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BMC Morris Mini Cooper S, either Mk 1 or 11 only car I ever regret selling
Old 25-08-2019, 06:18 PM   #6
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
BMC Morris Mini Cooper S, either Mk 1 or 11 only car I ever regret selling

We have a winner!

I had a MK2 Cooper S in 1970.

Mate had an XU1.

In 1972 both of us sold our car to each buy a motorbike to ride around Australia.

Great trip but to this day we both regret getting rid of the cars.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-08-2019, 06:33 PM   #7
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As the question is about '60s cars,
# 1. Falcon XT GT manual in Candy Apple Red (which I could not afford to buy.)
# 2. Holden Kingswood 186S, 4 speed Opel box with enough options to make it a 4 door GTS in Picardy Red. ( which I did buy at about $3,200 on the road.)
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #8
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Yeah, you lost me when you said you would buy a HQ.
Without doubt the worst rear suspension in the history of Australian Motoring.

I could never get my head under to actually have a look (because they were always dragging on the ground) but I suspect that ex-factory they used some form of marshmallow

Now, a HG 350 Monaro. Aside from the rust, that's something I could live with.
Look at the HQ racing with the big 202 they handle well, it's all about knowing what is best to do with a car, the test back in the days were by idiots, they could of given out information on how to change a bucket of s--- into a much better car, all you need is a few tips to change and one would be astounded by the difference such can make.

I was thinking back to the days, just how good were them cars ? that's why I put this up.
One has a perception of what they like in a car and so what is that ?
My father in law says that fast cars never were of interest to him at all and he has different standards that he goes by and complains about test drivers pushing a car to limits, he thinks such is just rubbish, but I say if you do a test you do it thoroughly no stone is unturned with me but I can respect others opinions that such is their cup of tea.

One clown I know claimed that the Datsun 260 C ect was so much better than the Aussie cars and why he claims such but to me such things I would never bother with at all but I think that such people get mixed up with a 260 C and a 173 Belmont, when in fact the price of such is in the class of a V8 GTS or a GT so no the Aussie cars wipe the floor with such rubbish truly and yes the 260C may flog a 173 or 200 falcon but so what.
Old 25-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #9
mondeomatureguy

hi guys,
I had a valiant Charger once till 2006 anyway and sold it.
If I had my time again I would buy a Ford XC Allan Moffat Special, A Ford Fairmont with an 351 motor also a Ford Cobra 5.8 litre 4 speed.

P.S I had a Holden HQ Kingswood back in 1986 and it wasn't the best car I ever had!
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2019, 08:41 PM   #10
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Nice thread! Mind you back in the day for me was 90's when all these 60s and 70's cars were at the bottom of their depreciation curve...

I'll start at 1963 model year maybe with a couple of years between upgrades, with a bias toward 6's but some V8s in there:

1963 AP5 225 Regal (spells "Lager" backwards)
1967 VE Regal with 2bbl 225
1968 XT GT, agree.
1969 XW GS Fairmont 302 with the lovely C4. Great road cars. Gold stripes.
1970 XY GS Fairmont 302, with the radials and redwalls Honourable mention the 2502V, but the 302 is a light, tractable unit. In teal, gold stripes again.

(now in this time if choosing a wagon the Holdens were up there as a choice)

1972 Tough one... Probably the XA Fairmont GS 302, but there's the 265 Pacer and HQ GTS 308 as well, pretty good time really! The Holden understeered but had the nicest vision outside.
1974 XB Fairmont GS 302. Ford would've loved me as a simple, repeat buyer! So I choose a custom paint colour to make life harder for the factory...
1977, ugh, choice between the emissions control cars: HX, CL and the new XC... XC Fairmont GXL with the big banger 351 to offset the emissions, a narrow choice as the CL Regal was pretty good with the Hemi 265 6.
1978 - all changed, HZ Premier 308 with RTS. Well done Peter Hannenberger.
1980: XD for the size. Probably a Fairmont. Try a 6 auto.
1983: VH Commodore 253 SL/X. Had one in family, lovely car. A lot of you will choose the ESP, fair enough.

Rest of the 80's I go on strike. They say VL was the best but I've never been into them.

1988, EA vs VN, they are both pretty rough. Ford's sort them out eventually:
1992: EBII S-XR6 auto. Clear winner, best handling Falcon since XT GT and those beautiful GS 302s that followed. Some quality gains in EBII too.
1994: ED XR6 auto, (though I have the XR8 Sprint manual now)
1996 EL XR6 auto Dark green, if it was still Poly Green. Full body kit as it's horn.

1997 VT SS 304, in that dark blue, what a package.... This is another one of those times with a lot of choice like 1972. I'd equally take a Fairlane by Tickford, or an EL GT, or the last 185Kw EL XR8s.

1998 AUI Fairmont Ghia VCT, again what a package, (and I'm tyred of the VT - excuse the rear suspension pun). AU is a shocker but the high end cars look good, really good in regency red Ghia, and the engineering is solid. They outsold the high end Holdens too, bet you didn't know that!

2000 AUII Fairmont Ghia VCT
2001 VXII Calais supercharged, for something different.
2002 AUIII XR8 manual, for the Windsor, in Blueprint.
2004 BA XR6 Turbo in that dark purple colour, so nice!
2005 VZ SS with 6L and manual. A cracker.

Here there's a break: Holden has Adventra and Ford the Territory, but this is about sedans. A separate wagon/SUV list would be good too...

2007 VE SS 6L, quite an amazing product when new.
2008 BFII F6 Typhoon R Spec, legendary vehicle. In Lightning Strike.
2009 F6
2011 G6E turbo. Great product. Dark colour with tan trim.
Now after 2012 it gets a little Hazy - when did the Supercharged GT's come out? I'll have one of those.
2013 VF Calais V8, dodging their 6cyl. Beautiful interior new and a good outside makeover. Choose the white interior in Regal Peacock green.
2014 FGMk2 G6E Turbo.
2016 FGX XR6 Turbo Sprint. The ultimate Barra and ultimate Aussie.
2017 VFII SSV Redline.
XW-Y Fairmont 302 T Bar yep class act in the day. I had a HG 253 auto Premier nice car that was but if bought new I would tick 308 T Bar and GTS exhaust you have to open the exhaust up to make them perform, I had a K Mac bar at the front and ute springs at the rear, I should of put more neg camber and more castor if it knew what to truly do back then, I asked what's best to do but most wheel alignment people were idiots back then as they would just rant and rave against such things and higher performance brake pads, they had no idea that it was not my grand mothers car. you could come in with a GT HO P3 and them morons would insist on the same brake pads that they would put on your grand's XY 200 6 cyl. Sadly nowadays such idiots insist on a wheel alignment fix that make a HZ handle like a HQ the morons claim Hannenberger got it wrong.

Al tho the 4.0L Falcon 6 was great I like the 5.0L V8 any day from the EB II on, not until the FG 4.0L was it a real good setup with the 6 sp auto that I could live with that over a V8.

Holden IRS was crap until they got the VX setup as they would kick the arssend out at high speed corners because of to much toe out and in was created until they got the bars that reduce that crap with the VX.

I tried to buy a VZ 6.0L manual when they first came out but waited 4 months and gave up and hung on to me VY SS loved that car.
Old 25-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #11
mondeomatureguy

Hi Mick,
Ive always loved motor cars ever since i was a younger.
I remember at the age of 13 years old seeing Allan moffats Mustang racing around oran park.

My other members of my family apart from one brother don't share my passion for motor cars.

when i was 21 years old long time ago now my sister gave me her old car which need some work.

It was a 1964 Chev belair with a 307 chev motor and really great cruising car. I got the motor fixed up and got it spray painted and had it for years till rust ate the chassis away and it couldn't be fixed.

What a great car to cruise around in apart from the brakes which i lost one night at 11pm after a rear wheel cylinder started leaking and the brake fluid leaked out the back of the wheel cylinder.

I managed not to hit anything and i was driving thru the back streets of Paddington in Sydney that night so lady luck was looking down on me that night.
Old 25-08-2019, 08:58 PM   #12
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeomatureguy View Post
hi guys,
I had a valiant Charger once till 2006 anyway and sold it.
If I had my time again I would buy a Ford XC Allan Moffat Special, A Ford Fairmont with an 351 motor also a Ford Cobra 5.8 litre 4 speed.

P.S I had a Holden HQ Kingswood back in 1986 and it wasn't the best car I ever had!
Sadly the XC 5.8L were a slug. I love the ZH Fairlane's tho.

HQ with 202 auto were just total crap, manual 202 is much better, but for a big car they needed a 253 at least, where did you see 200 XA-B Falcons they were mainly 250's. you have to put good shocks on them GT 130 Monro at least or they are rubbish.

The old 245 and 265 Hemi 6 were good performers with a 2 barrel carby if tuned right and the ADR27A on engines were better tuned than the Holden and Falcons. The 215 Hemi 6 was rubbish.
Old 25-08-2019, 09:09 PM   #13
mondeomatureguy

when i was 21 the CEO of the Company i worked for in Sydney had a ZG Fairlane which i would detail for him every week.

He later updated that Fairland to a ZJ Fairlane both V8s and he would be lucky to drive 10,000 ks a year.
Old 25-08-2019, 09:16 PM   #14
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondeomatureguy View Post
Hi Mick,
Ive always loved motor cars ever since i was a younger.
I remember at the age of 13 years old seeing Allan moffats Mustang racing around oran park.

My other members of my family apart from one brother don't share my passion for motor cars.

when i was 21 years old long time ago now my sister gave me her old car which need some work.

It was a 1964 Chev belair with a 307 chev motor and really great cruising car. I got the motor fixed up and got it spray painted and had it for years till rust ate the chassis away and it couldn't be fixed.

What a great car to cruise around in apart from the brakes which i lost one night at 11pm after a rear wheel cylinder started leaking and the brake fluid leaked out the back of the wheel cylinder.

I managed not to hit anything and i was driving thru the back streets of Paddington in Sydney that night so lady luck was looking down on me that night.
Yep I was car mad from 3yo, I misted out on going to Bathurst and all that in it's hey days 1968 to 1984 and then about to 1996 when Perky last won with a 308 Holden engine, then I gave up on such as just rubbish.

I loved the Holden Ford rivalry at the track they were real great days of stirring the possum and making some people get so wound up that they could make them dance. some Valiant people were about the traps as well to wind up .
Old 25-08-2019, 09:31 PM   #15
mondeomatureguy

I was talking to a few of my mates not long ago about when we were teenagers.
Theses guys are now into there 50s and we have been friends since our school days.

When some guys were getting into drugs we were getting into cars and what i remember most was the NSW Highway Patrol cars because they would pull us up and look for defects on our cars.

I became a Professional driver when i was 24 years old and did that for 30 years i loved driving so much.

I remember going to a car show back in the year 2000 and saw a Mitsubishi Sigma with a Ford 302 V8 engine in its engine bay how would you stop it?
Old 25-08-2019, 09:48 PM   #16
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick taylor View Post
I remember asking my dad why he bought the new HR Holden special 186 auto over the XR Falcon 500 200 auto and he said that he just liked the HR better.
I had a HR Holden special 186 auto in the late eighties - bought it for $200 . I was sceptical about having a 2sp Powerglide auto, I used it as a daily driver for about 3 yrs, and I have to admit it performed quite well - wasn't a world beater of course, the transmission was so flexible. The car never gave me any major issues either. Do you remember much about your old man's one Mick ?
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #17
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

One clown I know claimed that the Datsun 260 C ect was so much better than the Aussie cars and why he claims such but to me such things I would never bother with at all but I think that such people get mixed up with a 260 C and a 173 Belmont, when in fact the price of such is in the class of a V8 GTS or a GT so no the Aussie cars wipe the floor with such rubbish truly and yes the 260C may flog a 173 or 200 falcon but so what.
Sorry but the Datsun was and still is in a category above IMO.

Holden nearly made a Torana GTR-X to compete
https://www.classicdriver.com/en/art...ustralias-240z
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2019, 03:06 PM   #18
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post
I had a HR Holden special 186 auto in the late eighties - bought it for $200 . I was sceptical about having a 2sp Powerglide auto, I used it as a daily driver for about 3 yrs, and I have to admit it performed quite well - wasn't a world beater of course, the transmission was so flexible. The car never gave me any major issues either. Do you remember much about your old man's one Mick ?
Sure I do as I bought it on Aug 1977 when it was 10 years old and used it as a paddock basher, it was a rust bucket and had a hole in the back floor that you could of climbed through. it did 97mph flat out, I remember seeing that many a time. it went well and blew the 3.36 ratio crown wheel at about 160,000 miles, engine and auto did 250,000 miles and had cracked a cyl head at about 190,000 miles as old man tryed to drag the copes off but the big XB 250 caught him up and they toped up the radiator and cracked the head, so he bought a brand new head for it.
My mum got a XR Falcon 500 200ci auto and I still have that down the paddock but the HR went out to the reef in 1979.
She was a white Special with red inside and I remember mum would hook in to it taking off all the time and dad would be just flat to the floor on the highway and I liked that, but that seemed to be the norm back in them days with everyone's dad that I knew of.
When it was brand new the first day I painted all the chrome on it with house paint, yep I remember that day
Old 26-08-2019, 03:35 PM   #19
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Sorry but the Datsun was and still is in a category above IMO.

Holden nearly made a Torana GTR-X to compete
https://www.classicdriver.com/en/art...ustralias-240z
Yes the 240Z is a different car to a 260C and the 260C has it's place only it's not my cup of tea at all.

But the 240Z is not a bad little jigger in it's self to be sure but look at the price as well. no one bagged the 240z

But look at the 240K I had one of them what a bucket that was and people claim that they were good .

Take 1979 Datsun 260Z $12570 to $13850
Or 1979 Holden 253 4sp GTS from $9584
Or 1979 Toyota Cressida from $9160
Or 1979 Datsun 280 C from $12385
Or 1979 Kingswood SL $6780
Or 1979 Commodore SL/E 4.2L auto from $10828
3 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2019, 07:51 PM   #20
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sure I do as I bought it on Aug 1977 when it was 10 years old and used it as a paddock basher, it was a rust bucket and had a hole in the back floor that you could of climbed through. it did 97mph flat out, I remember seeing that many a time. it went well and blew the 3.36 ratio crown wheel at about 160,000 miles, engine and auto did 250,000 miles and had cracked a cyl head at about 190,000 miles as old man tryed to drag the copes off but the big XB 250 caught him up and they toped up the radiator and cracked the head, so he bought a brand new head for it.
My mum got a XR Falcon 500 200ci auto and I still have that down the paddock but the HR went out to the reef in 1979.
She was a white Special with red inside and I remember mum would hook in to it taking off all the time and dad would be just flat to the floor on the highway and I liked that, but that seemed to be the norm back in them days with everyone's dad that I knew of.
When it was brand new the first day I painted all the chrome on it with house paint, yep I remember that day
Yep. with 4 wheel unassisted drums to pull the car up too - add a few water puddles.
Quote:
Yes the 240Z is a different car to a 260C and the 260C has it's place only it's not my cup of tea at all.But the 240Z is not a bad little jigger in it's self to be sure but look at the price as well. no one bagged the 240z But look at the 240K I had one of them what a bucket that was and people claim that they were good .
You probably should've gone a Datsun 1600 as the paddock basher - would've been more suited.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2019, 08:21 PM   #21
hayseed

Quote:

But look at the 240K I had one of them what a bucket that was
Weren't they a 180B with 60 more faults.......
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2019, 08:43 AM   #22
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I'm still stuck in the 70's HQ's to HZ and maybe a WB van if it a good one but not keen on melted taillight surrounds.
The ol Valiant Town and country was a nice machine back then.

Just on the HQ's trailing arm rear suspension mentioned earlier, I always thought it was a pretty good setup and when you think of it, its basically what the much over rated Ranger Raptor rear suspension is now.

71 Holden / Chev meets 2018, 19.

Now where did a put my flares.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2019, 11:33 AM   #23
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snap0964 View Post
Yep. with 4 wheel unassisted drums to pull the car up too - add a few water puddles.
You probably should've gone a Datsun 1600 as the paddock basher - would've been more suited.
I only wish that I did have a Datsun 1600 for a paddock basher or rally car for sure, a great little car even nowadays.

All one really needs is front disc brakes in the main, but I have driven some cars with rear disc brakes that I have though some better with rear drum brakes as well to be sure. but then again I did hate my LH SLR5000 rear drum braked for sure as it would be locking up at times over 180KM/H when hard on the brakes.
Old 27-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #24
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Weren't they a 180B with 60 more faults.......
Much the same I think.

I had one dude I was pointing out about just how good that the VB Commodore handled and he claimed that a 200B was better handling than because it had IRS.
Old 27-08-2019, 11:55 AM   #25
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I'm still stuck in the 70's HQ's to HZ and maybe a WB van if it a good one but not keen on melted taillight surrounds.
The ol Valiant Town and country was a nice machine back then.

Just on the HQ's trailing arm rear suspension mentioned earlier, I always thought it was a pretty good setup and when you think of it, its basically what the much over rated Ranger Raptor rear suspension is now.

71 Holden / Chev meets 2018, 19.

Now where did a put my flares.
The HQ rear end is fine same thing right up to the WB Caprice, nothing wrong with them at all.

Even the HQ to WB ute and p van leaf are not a bad setup for leaf springs as fare as they go and the Falcon leaf sprung from 1999 on is a good leaf set up, not to mention that the XA to XH ute p van is not that bad as well but the sedan and wagon Fords leaf sprung is a shocker.

I am not a fan of the WB ute tail lights HQ to HZ any day for me.

Yep seen some Town and Country Valiant ute's back in the day, yep they were as you say.
Old 27-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #26
hayseed

Back in Sept '84 I bought a Brand new WB Ute (V8 hamburger with the Lot) it was one of the last ones ever Built. drove it around for 9 yrs & sold it for a couple hundred dollars More than I paid for It..!

I thought i was Smart!!! because in that 9 yrs My father was onto his 3rd car & had flushed a heap of Money down the Toilet in Depreciation...

One of my Few regrets in life, is Selling That Ute..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #27
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always admired the 1964 Fairlanes, never got around to buying one though.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #28
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When looking back thank God that we had our own car industry, or just look at all the rubbish that we would of had to put up with.

1967 prices
HR Holden Special 186 auto $2566 to Premier $2674
XR Falcon 500 200 auto $2660 to 200-6 Fairmont $3125
VE Valiant 225 auto $2720 to V8 $3595
Rambler 3.2L 3sp manual $3495
Toyota base Crown 3sp manual $2958 to $3598
VW Fastback $2425 and 1.5L Bug $2098
Rover 3.0L 4sp $7158
Fairlane 500 V8 $3805
Galaxie 289 v8 $5590 and 390 v8 $5820
Dodge Phoenix 318 v8 sedan $5895 and 383 v8 H Top $6345
Impala 283 v8 2sp auto $6230

XR Falcon GT $3900
Old 27-08-2019, 01:03 PM   #29
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Back in Sept '84 I bought a Brand new WB Ute (V8 hamburger with the Lot) it was one of the last ones ever Built. drove it around for 9 yrs & sold it for a couple hundred dollars More than I paid for It..!

I thought i was Smart!!! because in that 9 yrs My father was onto his 3rd car & had flushed a heap of Money down the Toilet in Depreciation...

One of my Few regrets in life, is Selling That Ute..
Bought a new WB panel van in 82 for courier work, rear taillight globes kept melting the plastic surrounds.
Had a few other problems with it like exploding the diff, on the Harbour bridge in peak hour.
Sold it off and bought an older HX panel van (before RTS), which was a far superior van, imo. Previous owner had already fitted tramp rods, 1 inch Lovell sway bars F and R.
It was a fun car to drive, sold it in 95 and still regret it.

Brother had a s**ty brown Datsun 180B around the same time. hideous !

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2019, 03:28 PM   #30
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

I had 253 4spd HQ's back in the 80's, all set up the same way.Lower the front ride height a little. A set of Air shocks for the back fixed the soft rear spring problem, a nice fat sway bar on the front and 8" mags all round and my Q handled quite well on road or dirt. The day I saw the first HQ races from Simmons Plains on the TV I knew I was on the right track because my Kingswood, looked and sat exactly like the racing Q's. I nearly jumped out of my chair in excitement,"LOOK, LOOK, that's my car!!"

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post