Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 20-02-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
Terror6X
Formerly eawags

Default Is my ABS stuffed? How do i disconnet?

Last night after washing my car at car lovers i came around a decent corner with a bit of speed, not crazy fast, and as i was coming up to a round about i was braking and the pedal when STRAIGHT to the floor. Mean while a car was coming around this huge round about and i thought i was going to smash into them. My car never came to a dead stop and i was lucky i went behind them. Testing in a straight line the brakes seem OK but i was not going to even try and get the ABS working as i think its stuffed. The pedal goes flat to the floor and no braking happens. I have used ABS before and it goes on and off under your foot and actually slows down. This doesnt!

How do i disconnect ABS?

Anyone know whats going on?

Who should i take it to? Ford, pedders?

Pete

Terror6X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
EBIIXR6
★★★★★

pete,
similar thing happened to me.. driving in the wet with shirthouse front tyres a dumb bimbo in a white Vr commodore pulled out and i got on the brakes and it braked then abs "sensed" a skid and let the pressure out of the lines no matter how hard u mash the pedal.. i ended up swirving to the left and missed her... chased her gave her a mouthfull called her a few names involving being plus sized..

what i think happened in your case is that your tyres were wet from the car wash....for me they dont dry off for about 150 metres.. and thats after a bit of a power slide out of the carwash to help them dry...

if your abs wasnt working - your CHECK ABS light would be on all the time.

the brakes on ea/eds are hopeless... its asif they dont work properly in the wet...

i put in non abs front rotors in the front of mine (because my old ones were warped as the seventies py: ) and i havent had any problems (except the light stays on)

Hope this helps mate
Old 20-02-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

The brakes could also have got very wet - sometimes this happens to me too after I wash at Car Lover's
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #4
LUXO_8
windsor user

it wont be the ABS......your brakes would have still worked just not with the antilock function...

something else has happened
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 09:29 PM   #5
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

my brakes totally failed in my ED .. nearly t boned someone in roundabout... stripped the car so I don't know what it was .. maybe the abs unit under guard.

I spent a bit on new braking stuff before that, master cylinder, booster, pads, bled brakes literally 10 times cause it would never be come firm braking, always spongy. and continued to be spongy. Then brakes totally failed... oh well.

only thing i didn't change was the abs unit under guard
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 04:27 AM   #6
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

when you say went to the floor, was the pedal pumping?

I'd be replacing the master cylinder/booster and bleeding your brake lines..
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 01:30 PM   #7
Terror6X
Formerly eawags

The pedal was not pumping. Just to the floor. The road was damp also.

In a straight line it was ok and the ABS was working. I was testing this straight after.

So strange how everything went in slow motion and i can still picture the lady in the white AU and her son looking at me and all im thinking is hurry up, im going to smash into you!
Old 21-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

It's not your ABS.

Try it on a wet day with dry brakes.

You should flush out your fluid, as your pedal will drop to the floor if there is moisture in it. Or of you have a small leak.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #9
Ringo
I see you....

Pedal going to the floor is a fluid issue and points to your master cylinder seals leaking internally or and external leak somewhere within the system.

I'd put $20 down it your master cylinder.

ABS has nothing to do with it.

If you had had a hard pedal but no braking effect then things like pads n rotors, siezed calipers and brake boosters would be on the list to check. It is rather rare for an ABS unit to fail and interfere with normal braking operation - think of the law suits for not having a fail safe system in place.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 02:59 PM   #10
Gohan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

only happends to me on wet days the 'check ABS' lite comes on and i blew the Brake Booster and my brakes were hard as like there was air in them like a truck brakes! which made my EF very bad to drive! i got 2 days off anyways!
Gohan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #11
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Brakes are soft when they have air in them. disconnecting the abs system will make your car unroadworthy and probably wipe any insurance claims you are likely to make when you hit somebody because your brakes failed.

FIX IT PROPERLY

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 10:50 PM   #12
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
The brakes could also have got very wet - sometimes this happens to me too after I wash at Car Lover's
Scratch that! Completely missed the bit about the pedal going to the floor! Definitely not wet brakes for that!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 02:47 AM   #13
Rollin
Banned

You could also have loose front wheel bearings.

When the front bearing are loose and you turn corners, the discs 'lean' over due to the lateral force of the vehicle, and you get a thing called pad 'knock-off' where the discs push the pistons back into the callipers a small way, meaning that when you push the pedal the fluid has to push the pistons back to their original position, then onto the disc before they start working.

So possible loose front wheel bearings (how often do you guys check and/or repack them hey?) combined with coming round a corner with a little pace on, and wet discs could have all been contributing factors to the pedal going to the floor, or at least feeling like it did.

Of course, make sure the fluid level is up to the 'full' mark as well...
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 02:59 AM   #14
EDXR6T

Ive been driving around with no brake's for the last week.

Its not that bad dont know what everyone is complaining about.
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 10:47 AM   #15
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR6T

Well your a smart cookie then aren't you... :MrT_anim:

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 12:33 PM   #16
Terror6X
Formerly eawags

There does look like there has been some leaking around the master cylinder.

I will get the pros to look at it.
Old 22-02-2007, 12:47 PM   #17
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR6T

I really didn't expect anything less from you..

Don't drive with no brakes people, it's not safe.
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #18
EDXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuresm58
I really didn't expect anything less from you..

Don't drive with no brakes people, it's not safe.
O Yagy Comon mate that nearly sounded like an insult

Dont worrie people they are fixed now.
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post