Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 04-08-2008, 07:55 PM   #1
jdflogan
Starter Motor

Question Mondeo XR5 or FG XR6 Turbo

Hi Guys,

Been visiting Ford Forums for many years but have only just joined and this is my first ever post.

Anyway went to dealership on the weekend to check out FG but couldn't drag myself away from a silver XR5 Turbo sitting in the corner. Seriously gorgeous car in the flesh and very spacious inside. Not that the FG is ugly or anything just more impressed with the XR5 Mondeo's at the moment.

Now my question is if power isn't the be all and end all would you consider an XR5 Turbo over an XR6 Turbo given, practicality, style, costs.. overall package etc?

I'm in two minds about it love both cars and I have owned about about six falcons now so maybe looking for something a little different.

Anyway I know I'm posting in the Mondeo section but just want honest opinions from guys who have bought them and know them well.

Appreciate the feedback.

jdflogan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdflogan
Hi Guys,

Been visiting Ford Forums for many years but have only just joined and this is my first ever post.

Anyway went to dealership on the weekend to check out FG but couldn't drag myself away from a silver XR5 Turbo sitting in the corner. Seriously gorgeous car in the flesh and very spacious inside. Not that the FG is ugly or anything just more impressed with the XR5 Mondeo's at the moment.

Now my question is if power isn't the be all and end all would you consider an XR5 Turbo over an XR6 Turbo given, practicality, style, costs.. overall package etc?

I'm in two minds about it love both cars and I have owned about about six falcons now so maybe looking for something a little different.

Anyway I know I'm posting in the Mondeo section but just want honest opinions from guys who have bought them and know them well.

Appreciate the feedback.
I never looked at the turbo in the XR6, but originally I was planning on a FG XR6 and walked past an XR5T Mondeo in the yard. After looking at both my preference was the Mondeo. When you look at the dimensions they are pretty close. So if I was looking at a XR6 Turbo or an XR5 Turbo at this point in time I'd still go the Mondeo, maybe because they are a little different from the run of the mill Ford.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
Zippy7

We looked at the FG in the showroom - and although they are nice, we felt that the Mondeo offered that extra individuality/difference. We also were very impressed with the interior space and hatch capacity.

The seating position was more comfortable (for us) in the Mondeo, with firmer foam bolsters, and a better steering wheel. I do think the stereo is a pretty ugly though...
Old 04-08-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Drive them both and see what makes you happy.
But posting this thread in the mondeo section of the forum you seem to already know you want the XR5T so I assume you just want people to agree with you.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:57 PM   #5
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I have driven the G6ET but not the XR6T, the Mondeo has a more solid feel, is more planted on the road but the ride is firmer (firmer than it needs to be IMO) is much better equipped and a lot more comfortable inside, has better luggage space and better leg room in the back, and its more economical. Personally I think the Mondeo is a better package than even the G6ET which makes it considerably better than the XR6T as far as equipment and drivability goes at least. The Falcon on the other hand has a huge advantage in performance, the FG turbo range are genuinely quick cars, the Falcon also offers much superior towing capacity, is available in auto (the 6 speed ZF is world class) and it offers rear wheel drive which for some is a 'deal breaker' in the Mondeo. The Mondeo is not slow but it’s not even in the same street as the FG Turbo Falcon range. Tough choice, good luck!

P.S. Welcome to the forum!
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 07:25 AM   #6
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I spent about two minutes looking at a turbo Falcon option versus the XR5 but the overall value (features for dollars) overroad the outright performance potential of the FG Turbos.
I spend too much time in the car for work to be short on the creature comforts & the better fleet deal on the Falcon could overcome the higher cost feature for feature.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2008, 11:36 PM   #7
jdflogan
Starter Motor

Default Mondeo or Falcon

Thanks to all the replies, it's been helpful.

I think I will need to test drive the Mondeo and have a good look at features as some of you have mentioned and make a decision based on which one really impresses. I have already test driven an FG XR6 Turbo and they are extremely quick and have impressive dynamics, now I need to test a Mondeo.

A couple of questions to the Mondeo owners out there?
1) Are they fairly brisk, or do they feel a tad underpowered disappointing?
2) What's the average litres/100 kilometres in normal city driving?
3) Any grumbles about reliability etc?

The things I noticed about the Mondeo that I and the wife liked..
1) Good looking car exterior and interior my wife loved it.
2) Massive boot seriously could not believe how big it was
3) Great cabin space front and rear leg room impressive

The only major thing that's turning me off about the Falcon is that I've owned too many of them, so yeah I'm leaning towards the Mondeo. Want something that stands out on the road as well..geez already have two mates with FG XR6 Turbo's.

I'm booked in to test drive a thunder xr5 mondeo this Friday, can't wait.

Cheers
jdflogan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2008, 07:50 AM   #8
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Compared to the T Falcons straight line will be down but the power delivery in remarkably linear & the car full 6th regularly around town over 70kph. The handling / balance is supurb, just keeps holding on.
At 5,000km getting under 10l/100m on the trip computer regularly around Sydney. Well under 8 on the open road.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdflogan

A couple of questions to the Mondeo owners out there?
1) Are they fairly brisk, or do they feel a tad underpowered disappointing?
2) What's the average litres/100 kilometres in normal city driving?
3) Any grumbles about reliability etc?
1) The performance is such a personal thing, if you’re used to regular 6 cyl falcons and commos than you will be more than happy with the XR5, its grunty and with a little trick mod to the airbox is more than willing to rev freely and will pull all the way to 7,000rpm, but you could never describe it as a fast car in a straight line, in fact its on paper the acceleration specs are about the same as a NA BF Falcon or VE. However with the airbox mod and some careful ‘run-in’ it will comfortably pull ahead of both at the lights. However on a twisty mountain road the Falcon or Commo won’t see you for dust!!
2) Mine has 13,444 on the clock and TC has never been reset, average for the 13,444 is sitting on 10lts /100 klm at an average speed of 43kph, 80% city driving.
3) No issues with mine so far however there are some early problems with the keyless starting system on a few cars that have the full HMI (human-machine-interface) kit, it seems that it has let a few owners down and totally refused to start! There is talk that the dealers have a fix but you need to wait until it lets you down before they will fix it!! I’m now not regretting not getting this feature at all!

Hope that helps, good luck with the drive on Friday.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:13 AM   #10
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

As for performance, I've done a few little mods to open her up.

On a in car performance meter I got 0 - 100 in 6.94 secs.

So it wont set the world on fire, but its good enough for some fun

In gear acceleration and the low down grunt is more than enough.

If you want a genuine straight line performance car, go the falcon.

If you want average straight line performance and a car that will leave the falcon through the bends, go the mondeo.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2008, 10:17 PM   #11
SteveH
Starter Motor

I to have been looking at the Mondeo XR5 for a while now, but my other cars that I have looked at have been Accord Euro's and the Mazda 6. I keep coming back to the Mondeo due to the looks and performance compared to the other cars, but am concerned about the fit and finish of the Mondeo compared to the made in Japan cars. I test drove a Mondeo XR5 with about 6,000k's on the clock and the whole car felt a bit 'loose'. (I have driven one other Mondeo with about 4,000k's and that still felt pretty tight, so I don't know if the earlier one I drove had been flogged)

Is anyone out there able to ease my nerves about reliability and fit and finish of the Mondeo, or do I just have to accept thet it won't be as good as the Japanese cars?

Apologies if I have side tracked the thread.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2008, 11:29 PM   #12
Zippy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH
Accord Euro's and the Mazda 6
We compared the Accord, Mazda6 and Liberty with the Mondeo.

Yes - the Mondeo is not at the same level as the Jap cars, but... How much more are you willing to pay? For me, the Liberty was the cheapest, but I didn't want to buy a car that has an all-new model coming out next year. I managed to figure out that I am not a Honda guy - they simply don't suit me. So then it was the Mazda6 vs Mondeo. The 6 was waaay tooo overpriced for what you got (staring at the Luxury Sports Model). Even after the recent price correction, you still pay too much and get too little - the leather model costs too much, the engine is same as base model, the bluetooth is not even available as a factory option, i get front and rear sensors on the Mondeo, and the boot is enormous in the hatch.

I probably will keep my Mondeo for about 5 years - I reckon I'd get so much more enjoyment from having a turbo compared to an ordinary 2.5L engine
Old 22-08-2008, 12:26 AM   #13
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure you read this and the comments at the end of the review http://www.caradvice.com.au/10062/20...eo-xr5-review/
and another one here soon
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/
apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 08:32 AM   #14
SteveH
Starter Motor

I have read the review on Caradvice and have even driven that exact car that is in the article. As I said, I love the performance of the Mondeo XR5, the only thing that worries me a little is the reliability compared to a Japanese car. I also think the Mazda 6 is overpriced in comparison, but I have had one in the past and have a pretty good relationship with a Mazda dealership, so I should be able to crunch a good deal there.

Decisions, decisions.
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2008, 09:37 AM   #15
r2d2

Ive had several cars in the past mainly japanese - mazda's, wrx's, toyota's. I ve had the mondeo for around 5000km now and I think it is one of the best finished and well made cars I have driven. I have no complaints. I love it. I am so confident in the car that I am already planning to compete in autokhanas with the car. Give the poor Honda, and mazda boys a run for their money. Wont be able to keep up woth the GTR, Evo or Wrx boys but I will be having fun doing it.
Old 22-08-2008, 10:05 AM   #16
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have Zetec. 15,000 Km. Cant comment on turbo performance. But as far as build is concerned, quite a few little rattles makes me wonder what it will be like in 4 years.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #17
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Mine has 15,000 km's on the clock.

Whisper quiet. The only noise I get sometimes is the drivers seat belt anchor clip rubs on the leather and makes a squeak. Usually very early on cold mornings.
Old 23-08-2008, 09:55 PM   #18
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mines fast earning the nickname "The Red Rattler". same colour as those old Sydney trains too. Not sure it was best buy for the bucks. Had it two months now, still not in love with it. Its a good car, but...
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2008, 10:00 PM   #19
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Drive them both and see how you go but it would be FG XR6 Turbo for me
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #20
FRIKA
FRIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51RTE
Drive them both and see how you go but it would be FG XR6 Turbo for me

If i could choose again FG XR6T
Old 24-08-2008, 12:58 PM   #21
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't tell anybody but I'm trading mine on a FG F6;

Black (naturally)
Auto
Leather
Dark Agent wheels
Tint
Reverse camera

Delivery date = 22nd November, took the GLW for a drive yesterday, she likes it, will take it for a weekend to cement the deal, but realistically........ It’s done…………..!

The XR5 as good as it is, unfortunately SWMBO won’t drive it, she has had a couple of goes but just can’t re-grasp the 3 pedals again. So from a bad situation comes a good one. I should be sad but I’m not!! Come November I get to drive / own one of the best (arguably THE best) high performance sedans this country has ever produced, can’t be sad about that!!
Old 24-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #22
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Nice. F6 is the pick of Fords line up IMO, and we've got a GT at home.

I bet the price they are trading the XR5 for is criminal! Especially since you've had it not very long...
Old 24-08-2008, 08:47 PM   #23
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
Don't tell anybody but I'm trading mine on a FG F6;
So what is the FPV version do you order it that way or do you put yours in to be modified!

apstar
Old 24-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #24
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apstar
So what is the FPV version do you order it that way or do you put yours in to be modified!

apstar
I'm not sure I understand that apstar.

I'm trading in my XR5 on a FPV F6. The car I'm purshasing is a demo, it has just been registered and will be 90 days before I can collect it.
Old 24-08-2008, 09:34 PM   #25
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

XR6 TURBO...

Unless your buying it for your Mrs and she refuses to drive the bigger falcon, the falcon wins in every circle!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 09:37 PM   #26
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
XR6 TURBO...

Unless your buying it for your Mrs and she refuses to drive the bigger falcon, the falcon wins in every circle!
Hmm, it WAS in fact abit too boganish to be driven by James Bond.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2008, 09:44 PM   #27
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
Nice. F6 is the pick of Fords line up IMO, and we've got a GT at home.

I bet the price they are trading the XR5 for is criminal! Especially since you've had it not very long...
Well that’s the price you pay for trading a car inside 3 -5 years, it a financial disaster, may sell the car within the family which will help a lot.
Old 24-08-2008, 09:49 PM   #28
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
XR6 TURBO...

The mondeo feels bigger than a falcon, much bigger IMO.

Its wider than a falcon, but about 150mm shorter.
Old 25-08-2008, 01:27 AM   #29
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie0735
I'm not sure I understand that apstar.

I'm trading in my XR5 on a FPV F6. The car I'm purshasing is a demo, it has just been registered and will be 90 days before I can collect it.
opps silly me old age need glasses
:togo:
apstar
Old 09-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #30
FordFan1

Default Picked Falcon XR6 Turbo over Mondeo XR5

Hi Guys,

I changed user name from (JDFlogan).

Been a while since I posted however I finally decided on the Falcon XR6 Turbo over Mondeo XR5. I have had my car six months and I have been very happy with it. I've had no issues and the car is magnificent to drive. Performance is fantastic but really a waste in Victoria.

However.. on the weekend went looking for a Wagon for the missus and spotted the MB Ford Mondeo range and the new XR5 and I was just so impressed. The styling of the exterior and especially the enterior is fantastic. The interior gives a real sense of occasion. My missus was mighty impressed with the Mondeo and favoured it over my XR6 Turbo, which she thinks is way too bland. In fairness to the Falcon I got a base model XR6 Turbo with no options and standard cloth trim. Couldn't stretch budget to G6E Turbo.

It has now got me second guessing my decision, was wondering if I should take an XR5 Turbo for a test drive.

I have noticed that a few guys here a less then impressed with there cars, due to rattles and water leaking in hatch etc. I've had such a good run with my car I would be so upset if I traded to something which had more niggles. Not saying Falcons are perfect but I definitely got a good one.

Just wondering what you opinions are on the matter, should I stick with the Falcon or give the Mondeo some consideration. I get itchy feet with cars as well truth be told and change cars often.

I really should take a Mondeo for a drive as well, I know.
FordFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post