Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > XR6 & XR8 Club of Queensland > XR Club of Qld Discussions

Old 28-09-2005, 11:15 PM   #1
YGOSLO
REVENGE

Thumbs up GT v Typhoon

I had the chance to demo a Yellow Typhoon (actually called Rapid) a couple of weekends ago. Man what a Car, this vehicle reminds me of a Sierra Cosworth I had 15 light years ago. Nice car well balanced, great gear box reckon I would loose my Licence in the first 3 days. I kept changing into the GT and I must admit the Boss V8 is probably still the winner, for that grunt which is hard to replace.

FPV have done an excellent job with this outstanding performance vehicle and if the fuel prices keep going up this would have to be the GREAT V8 alternative.

YGOSLO

YGOSLO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 08:22 PM   #2
SP Ken

G'day All,

Got to agree with Tony. I love my car and wouldn't trade it for a GT. Funny thing happened when out shopping for the new car. We were originally look at getting Pursuit / Super Pursuit ute. But we have a young bloke that goes with us on all club cruises so we scrubbed that idea as he would have looked funny chained up in the back. I drove a F6 and knew straight away that it was the one for me. It was confirmed when I seen it in silouette. It just looks the goods standing still. This way I can still be in the 6s team in the ongoing 6s V 8s comp.

Ken
Old 29-09-2005, 08:48 PM   #3
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon Ken
G'day All,

Got to agree with Tony. I love my car and wouldn't trade it for a GT. Funny thing happened when out shopping for the new car. We were originally look at getting Pursuit / Super Pursuit ute. But we have a young bloke that goes with us on all club cruises so we scrubbed that idea as he would have looked funny chained up in the back. I drove a F6 and knew straight away that it was the one for me. It was confirmed when I seen it in silouette. It just looks the goods standing still. This way I can still be in the 6s team in the ongoing 6s V 8s comp.
Ken
And you will still have your butts handed to you by the 8's at morgan park :

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 09:30 PM   #4
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba
And you will still have your butts handed to you by the 8's at morgan park :
Yeah, what he said :

The big question is are the turbo sixes really that cheaper to run considering they have to run premium?
Old 29-09-2005, 09:34 PM   #5
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoxr8
The big question is are the turbo sixes really that cheaper to run considering they have to run premium?
Oooooooo.... page 32 on Ford Service Guide. Check out the footnotes...
They don't have to run on premium.
I sometimes wonder how many people actually know this...even XR6T owners themselves.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 09:36 PM   #6
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Must admit I test drove a Winter White (not my choice of colour) F6 today and it went better than the last test drive I had - last one lasted about 5 mins before it carked it : the acceleration is unbeliveable what a weapon and I love the sound of the turbo between changes and backing off :sm_drool:
Done the finances and the bad news is that the XR8 will be staying in the garage and the worst news is the F6 will be staying at the FORD dealers
I WANT ONE I HAVE BEEN CONVERTED TO THE TQE BRIGADE :Reverend:

Alan
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 09:44 PM   #7
SP Ken

Bring it on 8s, Bring it on. You didn't win last time by the huge margin you thought you would (in the tenths of seconds overall if I remember at Darlington Park) so revenge is nigh.

Go the sixes,

Ken

PS: Actually on page 146 of the Typhoon service guide it ststes to use 95 RON premium fuel only
Old 29-09-2005, 09:47 PM   #8
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Bring it on 8s, Bring it on. You didn't win last time by the huge margin you thought you would (in the tenths of seconds overall if I remember at Darlington Park) so revenge is nigh.

Go the sixes,

Ken
Ken whether 1/10 of a second or 10 mins we still won
A win is a win which is a win and the 8 brigade will take it any way we can

Alan
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 09:54 PM   #9
SP Ken

Too true. Winners are Grinners
Old 29-09-2005, 09:55 PM   #10
jabba
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Go the sixes,

Ken

PS: Actually on page 146 of the Typhoon service guide it ststes to use 95 RON premium fuel only
I can assure you IT IS ON... Better bring the cleanex. The 8's are going to give the 6's a flogging they will never forget...... :the_finge

Tuned by Elite Automotive

11.91 @ 117mph Vid
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 10:07 PM   #11
gtfpv
GT

go the 8's sixes are for whimps they even sell them as an alternative to a durberlyou aarrrrr exxx. you wont see craig lowndes or marcos ambrose in on of these whistlers.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2005, 10:55 PM   #12
YGOSLO
REVENGE

Just for you Mate AU XR8, yes I still drive a Maloo for work and it's quick but!!!! when I get in this Blue GT Weapon at the weekends with the bump in the Bonnet it's a different world.

But I am still seriuosly considering the TYPHOON, an amazing car that will have a huge resale VALUE.

YGOSLO
YGOSLO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2005, 01:27 PM   #13
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll get to drive one of the 6 speed auto Typhoon's when they come out and I can't wait - will drive on of the GT's as well I guess, just for comparisson... (although not looking forward to that anywhere near as much)

A family friend has already driven the 6 speed auto BF XR6T - and he said it easily feels faster than a GT (note - he said it 'feels faster' - but it wouldn't supprise me if it's VERY close in quarter mile times), can't wait for the Typhoon then (considering one of the guys in the forum has already run a 13.2s time in a current manual Typhoon) out:

Love the 6cyl turbo :hihi:
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2005, 01:11 AM   #14
vegabass
BASS ON BOARD!

Default Morgan Park

I have never seen Morgan Park... what does it consist of eg: lots of slow corners or is it a high speed track?

Go the E series!!! should have my manual by then so watch out 8's
Old 04-10-2005, 08:27 PM   #15
WILDTRAKPX2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm only very new to this, but go the 8's !!!!!!

There is nothing like the raw power, the sound and the bonnet bulge BUT we all have a blue oval!!

Last edited by WILDTRAKPX2; 04-10-2005 at 08:35 PM.
WILDTRAKPX2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 08:27 PM   #16
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie bloke
I'm only very new to this, but go the 8's !!!!!!

There is nothing like the raw power, the sound and the bonnet bulge BUT we all have a blue oval!!
Too true, nothing has the soul of an 8. Nothing more enjoyable than watching technology (sixes) getting smashed by soul! I would say it is going to be on but in reality it will be a one sided afair :
Old 06-10-2005, 09:32 PM   #17
RAPID
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Falcon_XR6
I'll get to drive one of the 6 speed auto Typhoon's when they come out and I can't wait - will drive on of the GT's as well I guess, just for comparisson... (although not looking forward to that anywhere near as much)

A family friend has already driven the 6 speed auto BF XR6T - and he said it easily feels faster than a GT (note - he said it 'feels faster' - but it wouldn't supprise me if it's VERY close in quarter mile times), can't wait for the Typhoon then (considering one of the guys in the forum has already run a 13.2s time in a current manual Typhoon) out:

Love the 6cyl turbo :hihi:
At the end of the day if you want to feel one with your XR the 6 or 5 speed manual is the only way to go. You don't see AUTO'S on any race track because there out there to race. But as for the quater mile autos might be more fun. Cheers Rapid..
Cheers
RAPID is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post