Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-05-2018, 03:06 PM   #1
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

Default Extended Warranty

The factory warranty on our 2015 SZII TS Territory runs out in October. Is it worth purchasing an extended (Ford) warranty? I think the last quote I got was around $2,000.

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2018, 05:46 PM   #2
Trendseeker

Default Re: Extended Warranty

I don’t know how durable the suspension is on the SZ, but on the SY it was typical for the suspension to wear to the point that it required replacing by 150,000 km, or earlier if you drove it hard. And the cost to replace it at dealer prices was north of $4k. How many kilometres do you expect the car to have travelled by the time it is 6 years old? If it’s less than 100,000 km, I think you’d be better off saving your $2000, but if you drive it far or a little hard, it might be worth extending the warranty. Generally, you can assume that the organisation offering the extended warranty knows that statistically they will profit from it over the course of a general group/population of purchasers. There’s more chance you won’t need it than you will.
Old 19-05-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Regarding warranty in general , how does this scenario fit ? On the YT there is a very recent video of a Pommy with a Hyundai I30N with 1300 kms on it . He's driving it knowing the turbo has failed and ends up driving it home . He was not only driving it but had the foot down so he could travel at 130 kmh or so and that was flat out . Then he had it running at home on idle sounding like a threshing machine .

That would have to give Hyundai a bit of a get out of gaol clause wouldn't it , if you continue to drive a clearly failed car..Even dumber IMO to post a video on YT.

What do you reckon . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slKBoH4NvCc...

Last edited by roddy1960; 19-05-2018 at 06:39 PM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2018, 06:46 PM   #4
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post
I don’t know how durable the suspension is on the SZ, but on the SY it was typical for the suspension to wear to the point that it required replacing by 150,000 km, or earlier if you drove it hard.
I had statutory warranty, then an extended 3 year warranty (free) on our SY2. Just after 4.5 years and 60K, the dealer told me that all the rear bushes were stuffed.
Warranty job ? Nope, fair wear and tear, $1400. Pedders confirmed wear, and did job for $800.
Read the fine print.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2018, 09:14 PM   #5
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
I had statutory warranty, then an extended 3 year warranty (free) on our SY2. Just after 4.5 years and 60K, the dealer told me that all the rear bushes were stuffed.
Warranty job ? Nope, fair wear and tear, $1400. Pedders confirmed wear, and did job for $800.
Read the fine print.
Ford replaced the sway bar links on my 2008 Territory after 2.5 years at 60,000 km under warranty. I’m surprised they wouldn’t honour the warranty on your car on bushes. Tyres and such, yes, but suspension components, no. I can recall a guy on the Territory forum who had the alloy wheels replaced on his car under warranty because there were slight scratches from road dust and gravel. At the time I thought that was hard to believe, but he had the photos. I guess it all depends on the dealer and how hard you argue.

My Territory was still on the original rear bushes at 150,000km but Pedders said they would need replacement in the very near future. They replaced front suspension components at a cost of $1200. Ford had quoted $4200 for front and rear.
Old 20-05-2018, 06:54 AM   #6
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Warranty coverage seems a bit of a lottery. I broke an engine mount on my nonFord ride and it wasn't covered under warranty.

It wasn't exhorbitantly expensive, it was just the principle that mattered.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #7
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

Our Territory only has just over 23,000km on it. I haven't had any issues with it yet, so hopefully that's a good sign.

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #8
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I dunno, I'd take the warranty out if it were me. For $2k, you'll have peace of mind if:

You're AC dies and you need the dash out to replace shafts / replace HIM ($3k)
Your gearbox milkshakes, and you need a whole new unit ($7k)
Bushes / shocks fail (quite likely), and you need new items ($500 - $3k)
Diff blows ($1500)
Electrics / ICC fails ($500 - $2k)

The only things that are close to bulletproof (thanks for the accountants enabling us to have one reliable item) is the engine! Then again, you never know what might happen (replacement superchargers on the Miami's anyone?). In my experience, these cars don't age well, and don't be surprised for many things to fail in the 3-6 year window.

If you were to keep the car for the next three years, then the $667 per year (<$2 per day) peace of mind is worth it - just drink one less coffee per day and you're already in front! But that's just me.....
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-05-2018, 06:04 PM   #9
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
I dunno, I'd take the warranty out if it were me. For $2k, you'll have peace of mind if:

You're AC dies and you need the dash out to replace shafts / replace HIM ($3k)
Your gearbox milkshakes, and you need a whole new unit ($7k)
Bushes / shocks fail (quite likely), and you need new items ($500 - $3k)
Diff blows ($1500)
Electrics / ICC fails ($500 - $2k)

The only things that are close to bulletproof (thanks for the accountants enabling us to have one reliable item) is the engine! Then again, you never know what might happen (replacement superchargers on the Miami's anyone?). In my experience, these cars don't age well, and don't be surprised for many things to fail in the 3-6 year window.

If you were to keep the car for the next three years, then the $667 per year (<$2 per day) peace of mind is worth it - just drink one less coffee per day and you're already in front! But that's just me.....
No matter what car you buy they are subject to fails. Been reading about horror stories with AMG's lately that'd make your hair curl . It's a lottery , some gamble , some don't . Doesn't matter to me , my newest car is 10 years old anyway , the next one is 17 and the oldest is 34 ...
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2018, 12:07 AM   #10
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror_Tree View Post
The factory warranty on our 2015 SZII TS Territory runs out in October. Is it worth purchasing an extended (Ford) warranty? I think the last quote I got was around $2,000.
Be very careful.
In most cases "Official Ford Extended Warranties" Sold by Ford Dealers, and endorsed by Ford Australia, with a big Ford logo on the front, are a piece of worthless garbage actually issued by a 3rd party.
Every time I've had somebody tell me "no, no, mine's different, its a genuine Ford Warranty", I have looked into the details, and guess what, garbage.

I believe there have been times when Manufacturers have extended their standard warranty as part of a limited offer. But as a general rule, if you are buying the warranty, particularly after the fact or on a 3yr old vehicle, it will be issued by a 3rd party and is garbage.

The problem with them is that first of all they are a rip-off. Secondly, they are worded in such a way that they can effectively avoid any claim they want to.
Put simply, if you pay $2,000 for the product, they might allow you to claim maybe $500 worth of repairs.

Thing to understand is that on a 3yr old car, anything faulty will have already failed. Anything that goes wrong from now on, will in fact be attributable to "Wear & Tear".

Maybe things will change. In the USA you can buy warranties that cover everything, no questions, so it really is just like buying insurance. However I am yet to see on of those here in Aus, but who knows.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #11
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Be very careful.
In most cases "Official Ford Extended Warranties" Sold by Ford Dealers, and endorsed by Ford Australia, with a big Ford logo on the front, are a piece of worthless garbage actually issued by a 3rd party.
Every time I've had somebody tell me "no, no, mine's different, its a genuine Ford Warranty", I have looked into the details, and guess what, garbage.

I believe there have been times when Manufacturers have extended their standard warranty as part of a limited offer. But as a general rule, if you are buying the warranty, particularly after the fact or on a 3yr old vehicle, it will be issued by a 3rd party and is garbage.
Thing is- you need to buy the manufacturers warranty extension prior to the expiry of the original warranty.

End of this month my Ford Warranty 3 year expires. Bit of soul searching and decided to take out a Ford Warranty extension for 2 years- 200,000 km.

Was expensive but it does give me peace of mind.

The Issuer of the Warranty is "Ford Motor Company of Australia Ltd (Ford or Ford Australia) ABN 30 004 116 223, of 1735 Sydney Road, Camberfield Victoria 3061".

Later in warranty booklet they say "This is an extended warranty product, not an insurance product".

The general terms and conditions mirror the original warranty.

The dealer lady tried to steer me to a cheaper alternative non Ford extension warranty -which I consider as being "junk Warranty" like the "junk insurance" that you have pedalled out there.

At least now I am covered if the Supercharger dies, or some major electrical meltdown occurs. Perhaps I should just have used the money to do the IMS diff cradle upgrade - but its done and I have peace of mind.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-05-2018, 10:56 AM   #12
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror_Tree View Post
For 2 grand its worth it, but you may need to get a new quote..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2018, 06:28 PM   #13
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: Extended Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
The Issuer of the Warranty is "Ford Motor Company of Australia Ltd (Ford or Ford Australia) ABN 30 004 116 223, of 1735 Sydney Road, Camberfield Victoria 3061".
Pity you stopped reading there. A few lines further on it says:
Quote:
Ford only issues extended warranties where they have been arranged by Allianz Australia Insurance Limited. ABN 15 000 122 850, AFSL 234 708, or by Allianz’s representatives. The Ford dealer who provided you this myFord Extended New Vehicle Warranty Product Disclosure Statement and Warranty Booklet is an authorised representative of Allianz.
Quote:
Allianz Australia Insurance Limited. ABN 15 000 122 850, AFSL 234708 acts as the administrator of this extended warranty for Ford
Quote:
The myFord Extended New Vehicle Warranty will not apply unless the part which is alleged to be defective is found by Ford to be defective in factory materials or workmanship
Quote:
Maintenance costs and wear and tear items, since they do not arise from defects in factory materials or workmanship, are not covered by the myFord Extended New vehicle Warranty.

Last edited by Crazy Dazz; 21-05-2018 at 06:38 PM.
Old 21-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #14
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Pity you stopped reading there. A few lines further on it says:

Yes- but you miss the vital point which is that Ford as the issuer of the warranty (and a party to the contract with me) "issues and is responsible " to me" for this extended warranty."

The fact that Ford binds Allianz to distribute and be an administrator of the warranty does not matter to the contractual obligations that are in place now as between Ford and myself.

I have a contract with Ford- pure and simple.

Not sure why you are so negative- the extended Ford Warranty mirrors the original manufacturers warranty as so far Ford has been great in dealing with some issues that have already arisen and have not been flakey whatsoever.

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 21-05-2018, 09:57 PM   #15
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes- but you miss the vital point which is that Ford as the issuer of the warranty (and a party to the contract with me) "issues and is responsible " to me" for this extended warranty."

The fact that Ford binds Allianz to distribute and be an administrator of the warranty does not matter to the contractual obligations that are in place now as between Ford and myself.

Not sure why you are so negative- the extended Ford Warranty mirrors the original manufacturers warranty as so far Ford has been great in dealing with some issues that have already arisen and have not been flakey whatsoever.
Personally I would never send a cent of my hard earned to that company.

My warranty is up early next year but I won't be extending it.

I've got one outstanding problem with mine that will be fixed next month.

I figure if I haven't killed it yet she's pretty sturdy.
Dave winter built me a cracker, I know that.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2018, 11:23 PM   #16
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs down Re: Extended Warranty

Quote:
Yes- but you miss the vital point
No, the vital point is that just like every other worthless "extended warranty" this is an Allianz product with Ford's name stamped over the top. A Fact which the document makes clear.
Quote:
So what?
I have a contract with the guy who mows my lawn, and the guy who unblocks my toilet.
Quote:
Not sure why you are so negative
Because you got ripped off, and rather than admit that you keep posting misleading drivel
Quote:
the extended Ford Warranty mirrors the original manufacturers warranty
No, no it doesn't. It makes no reference to the original warranty, and as I have already quoted above, it literally covers you for nothing.
Quote:
so far Ford has been great in dealing with some issues that have already arisen
That's a lie, because you don't ever deal with Ford.
You take your car to a Ford Dealer, and they contact Allianz. Ford has nothing to do with it.
And as I have explained, they will always cover some small stuff. If you paid say $3,000 for the product, even after all the commissions and overhead, they probably leave around $1,000 in the pot to cover minor issues. Just enough to convince people like you what a great deal it was, so you'll buy one next time.
If that gives you "peace of mind" then good luck to you, the product has done exactly what it was designed to do.

But please stop making false and inaccurate claims.

The FACTS are that it is an Allianz Product. Arranged by and administered by Allianz.

It is also a FACT that the warranty is limited to parts "defective in factory materials or workmanship" and specifically excludes "wear and tear items".

If you can point to anything in the document that contradicts those facts, please quote it.
Old 22-05-2018, 12:30 AM   #17
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You do realise asagaai probably knows more about legalities and contracts than most people on this forum combined right?

I'm certain he knows exactly what he purchased.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2018, 12:35 AM   #18
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No, the vital point is that just like every other worthless "extended warranty" this is an Allianz product with Ford's name stamped over the top. A Fact which the document makes clear.So what?
I have a contract with the guy who mows my lawn, and the guy who unblocks my toilet.Because you got ripped off, and rather than admit that you keep posting misleading drivelNo, no it doesn't. It makes no reference to the original warranty, and as I have already quoted above, it literally covers you for nothing.That's a lie, because you don't ever deal with Ford.
You take your car to a Ford Dealer, and they contact Allianz. Ford has nothing to do with it.
And as I have explained, they will always cover some small stuff. If you paid say $3,000 for the product, even after all the commissions and overhead, they probably leave around $1,000 in the pot to cover minor issues. Just enough to convince people like you what a great deal it was, so you'll buy one next time.
If that gives you "peace of mind" then good luck to you, the product has done exactly what it was designed to do.

But please stop making false and inaccurate claims.

The FACTS are that it is an Allianz Product. Arranged by and administered by Allianz.

It is also a FACT that the warranty is limited to parts "defective in factory materials or workmanship" and specifically excludes "wear and tear items".

If you can point to anything in the document that contradicts those facts, please quote it.
Wow -taken the angry pills have we.

Do not seem to understand privity of contract and binding underwriters eh. Fact is the contract is with Ford.

They do not uphold I sue Ford. Not Allianz.

And yes-dealing with warranty claims was through my dealer who had to get the stamp of approval from Ford.

Good on you having a contract for a guy to unblock your toilet and mow your lawns. I choose to not be lazy and do those tasks myself...

Old 22-05-2018, 04:22 AM   #19
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

A bought a 2010 turbo territory ghia in 2015. Got 3 year premium warranty from the dealer John Hugh's.(extended new car warranty) $2000 after negotiation, the initial cost was way higher.

All I can say is for me money well spent.

Car had 94ks. Now has 125ks and the 3 years is nearly up

Without going into great detail they have fixed everything that has been brought to their attention. All claims played for. This includes all front and rear diff bushes which were upgraded to nolathane at no extra cost to me. Window motors. Window switches , control blade bushes , ball joints, tie rod ends , inner bushes, exhaust leak. And they replaced my timing cover

The parts I had replaced were showing signs of wear , but hadn't failed.

And there is probably more I forgot.

All I can say. Read all the fine print and choose the warranty that suits you

Most dont cover oil leaks

Before purchase I asked 2 questions directly from the main claims manager
1) is the turbo completely covered (yes)
2) if the heat exchanger fails and fills my transmission with coolant will it all be covered ( yes)

$2000 was a bargain.

All I can say is if you want a used car in Perth, but from John Hugh's.

They have treated me like a king. They even drop me to work when they have my car and deliver it to my work when its finished

Best service ever

Now if you want horror stories I have plenty of them all from Ford dealers.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2018, 04:23 AM   #20
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

I think once these cars go over 100k problems start. So if you won't go that far in the warranty period maybe save the cash. But 2K buys a lot of peace of mind.

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A

Last edited by arronm; 22-05-2018 at 04:37 AM.
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-05-2018, 12:05 PM   #21
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have an extended warranty on mine to take me to 6 years at which stage I estimate will be 150,000 kms where it will be traded in.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2018, 03:32 PM   #22
flightstrike

Long story short, I bought my Ute second hand and unbeknown to me (or the Dealer who sold it to me), it had an Extended Warranty as discussed already in this thread.

It was still under the original Warranty when I bought it, and then on to the Extended Version. I've had numerous issues fixed since owning the Ute.

Interestingly, the last round of repairs were carried out just prior to the Extended Warranty expiring. Ford even suggested bringing it in early to enure any work required would be covered; They subsequently found a few things I didn't know about. The issue came when they (as it turns out) went to claim it through Allianz. Alianz didn't want a bar of it as apparently the original owners details were on their system. As my details wern't there, they basically decided the Extended Warranty was null and void. The Service Manager and I tried to sort out the issues, but Allianz were less than helpful. In the end, Ford worse the costs and we moved on.

2010 FG XR6 Ute
flightstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2018, 11:00 AM   #23
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightstrike View Post
Long story short, I bought my Ute second hand and unbeknown to me (or the Dealer who sold it to me), it had an Extended Warranty as discussed already in this thread.

It was still under the original Warranty when I bought it, and then on to the Extended Version. I've had numerous issues fixed since owning the Ute.

Interestingly, the last round of repairs were carried out just prior to the Extended Warranty expiring. Ford even suggested bringing it in early to enure any work required would be covered; They subsequently found a few things I didn't know about. The issue came when they (as it turns out) went to claim it through Allianz. Alianz didn't want a bar of it as apparently the original owners details were on their system. As my details wern't there, they basically decided the Extended Warranty was null and void. The Service Manager and I tried to sort out the issues, but Allianz were less than helpful. In the end, Ford worse the costs and we moved on.
Yes- I feel for you- the Ford Extended Warranty details in para 14 (dealing with transferring the Extended New Vehicle Warranty) that "Transfer will not be accepted if the vehicle is sold to or via a motor dealer or trader."

What people must try to understand is that warranty is not insurance. A warranty in this context is generally an obligation taken on by someone to make good a defect in a product supplied or sold, and is generally limited to time etc.

In terms of the Ford Extended Warranty Ford is proscribed (ie banned) from not using the wording in the warranty prescribed by the Competition and Consumer Regulations 2010 which include having to "state the period or periods within which a defect in the goods or services to which the warranty relates must appear if the consumer is to be entitled to claim the warranty."

Now what the warranty intends by "defective" will be read by looking at the types of things that the Warranty specifically excludes such as general wear and tear items and usual maintenance items- ie imo the term "defective" will be read widely and not narrowly.

But- it all comes down to your relationship with the dealer from where you purchased the car as they are the "agent" dealing with Ford. If you have a good relationship things should be fine (and I have a very good dealer).

Now-it is Ford that has provided the Extended Warranty- ie is the party contracting with you- so if you have to sue on the basis that the warranty is not being made good, you sue Ford.

Ford have used some of the money you paid for the warranty to effect insurance to cover Ford with Allianz, and Allianz have a sort of claim management role with the Warranty (as will the dealer).

But this arrangement with Allianz does not alter that the contractual arrangement for the extended Ford Warranty is as between Ford and you.

Anyway- hope that may clear up the air a little for some who do not understand the interplay of Warranty /Insurance and how Allianz and Ford are intermingled in this Warranty.

Old 23-05-2018, 11:30 AM   #24
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Told this story many times before ..

Had Ford Extended Warranty (the one bought a the dealer with all Ford letterhead etc) for my AUII ute.
Had a leaking steering rack, that I took to (same) dealer to check, and told them the car was still under warranty. They advised it was "normal" and did nothing.
I waited maybe a month, and took it back again complaining about the leak but said nothing about the warranty. When I rang them at the end of the day they told me they'd replaced the rack and would be $800 thankyou. I told them it was under extended warranty and miraculously, when I picked up the car about 20min later I wasn't charged anything.

I bought an extended warranty on the FG, but on cars from now on, I'll be looking at one of the manufacturer with longer warranties from the factory ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post