Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-03-2018, 07:05 PM   #1
spiker

Default Lw2 sport starting problem

Hi, so today I went to pick up my daughter from school, car started as normal although I noticed that the display and guages were a bit slow to respond. Got to school carpark, sat and waited about 10 minutes, and she wouldn't start just clicking and some whiring. Called roadside assist waited about an hour for them to arrive, in the meantime the radio went off also. Guy arrived checked battery voltage at 10.2 volts couldn't read cranking amps as his meter showed error. Jumped started ok, waited 5 mins turned her off and checked battery voltage at 12.75 volts. then car started as normal. Drove around for a bit and went home. Sat for a bit and car starts as normal. Mechanic has never dealt with a focus before and had no suggestionsof whats wrong. any body have any ideas?
spiker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2018, 09:04 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Lw2 sport starting problem

sounds like you need a new battery. If it has a single cell that is dying it will upset the computers in the car as it makes errors in the signals they receive from the car
marg99 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2018, 11:54 PM   #3
spiker

Thanks for the reply. Strangely. Its been starting fine since then. Gonna get the battery checked tomorrow. The roadside assist guy recons its gonna be a nightmare changing the battery, said you have to pull the cover off of where the wipers sit, surely that cant be right?
Old 27-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #4
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

he is right, the wipers come off then a couple of plastic covers below the windscreen one n has torx screws in it each end
marg99 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2018, 11:12 AM   #5
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had this happen after a new battery except all my gauges and electronics stayed off after trying to crank. Got jump started and it's been fine ever since. A gremlin perhaps?

LW battery is a bit of a PITA to change but you can take a short cut. Normal procedure is to remove the intake so that you can just slide the battery out towards you.
But, you can loosen the surrounds enough to enable you to turn take the battery.
Assuming LW2 is the same as LW1? this video helped me https://youtu.be/PcMapd-Z3Lg
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2018, 01:53 PM   #6
spiker

Yeah it was the battery, it helps when the auto electrician changes it out for you. It was just as the vid showed. When did batteries get so expensive?
Old 17-04-2018, 01:56 PM   #7
spiker

I did find out why the roadside assist guy couldn't measure the cranking amps though, apparently you have to wait 5 to 10 minutes for the car to finish turning everything off and go in to sleep mode...
Old 17-04-2018, 03:09 PM   #8
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you have the right tool you can measure cranking amps directly from the ECU like I do.
It’s around 300-400 Amps for my diesel.
Old 17-04-2018, 03:43 PM   #9
Victor1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiker View Post
Yeah it was the battery, it helps when the auto electrician changes it out for you. It was just as the vid showed. When did batteries get so expensive?
Yes mate I got a shock at the price of the last battery I purchased back around 2014 for a fiesta.i thought exactly the same as you.
Victor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2018, 04:07 PM   #10
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How much are people paying for batteries? I picked up a Motorcraft one from Ford (bit bigger than normal because diesel) for $130. They gave me a discount so maybe that’s a good price?
Old 17-04-2018, 04:45 PM   #11
spiker

mine cost $250, I looked on line and apparently that was a good price..
Old 07-05-2018, 10:02 PM   #12
mcsweenyfives

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiker View Post
Get yourself a smart charger. I give mine a 24hr charge every couple of months and the car starts like new every time.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk
mcsweenyfives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post