Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Peak Oil, diesel first to go?

Macron has done one amazing thing that is very bad for him, he has managed to unite
the far right and the far left against him. I don't think he and hs silly legislation will
survive beyond the next election, maybe the Germans are next?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #32
Mainforcepatrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Nissan: the Ute

Anyone else remember that one?
That was the so called Button Car Plan the sharing of car models with different badges in an attempt to reduce the number of manufacturers if i recall.The commodore became a toyota lexcen,camry a holden apollo,falcon ute a nissan ute,nissan pintara a ford corsair and nissan patrol a ford maverick.
Mainforcepatrol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #33
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Peak stupidity we have not hit yet.

But the 70s did give us Hubbert, who predicted peak oil in 1995

Estimates of declining reserves and production are incurably wrong because they treat as a quantity what is really a dynamic process driven by growing knowledge.

In 2012 BP estimated known reserves at 1.633 trillion barrels of crude left.

In 2018 known reserves are now around 1.9 trillion.

Last edited by zipping; 09-12-2018 at 10:11 AM.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2018, 10:43 AM   #34
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeeclipse View Post
All these companies are prostitutes Rod. The last thing we need is our Ford's being infected with a Volkswagen STD's.

Globalization is spoiling many products. Go ahead collaborate but don't ruin a cars character and defining engineering cues.
Off the primary topic of course but related to diesel via VW . My good friend and neighbour owns a very early 2000's petrol Golf . Had it since new . Very nice car . Remember going to pennant golf (in that Golf) just after they bought it and it was a classy car . Aged pretty well , except for some peeling clearcoat and still runs really well I think . Now to diesel issue that ties in way too often to the VW Group.

Mentioned this in another thread , fast forward to only a couple of years ago . Art teacher at work buys a brand new Tiguan . Problems (mostly electric) quickly but the worst is the diesel engine intermittently shutting down for no reason .
No help from VW and in the end she traded it on a Corolla ..Last straw when it stopped in the middle of an intersection . Skoda had same issues with essentially same powerplant. Sounds like an inherent issue on face value with some VW powerplants .

Ford has done this sort of sharing of stuff before with Mazda, maybe even Jag ..My TX5 Ghia (1986 model) was basically a 626 . This though with VW is a different arrangement I reckon .

Last edited by roddy1960; 09-12-2018 at 10:55 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #35
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The next scare should be "Peak Lithium" or "Peak Copper" (solar panels).

Ah but we love our devices and electric cars.

The "principle" is the same as "Peak Oil" but doesn't fit the political aims of academics and political movements.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2018, 03:32 PM   #36
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Parts of London have fines and people patrolling school drop offs to stop this happening. Some schools have no drive zones around the entry gates at certain hours to reduce the pollution load at drop off/pick up time Still even in London 30% of journeys are regarded as unecessary being 5 minutes or less driving.
Air pollution is a big deal here and you have to be carefull about where you live if it's an issue for you. We have maps available to us showing pollution intensity which gets down to street level of granularity and cover 5 or 6 key pollutants and particulates.
JP
Even most of the new diesels cars stink and even blow smoke at times that I have seen on the highway but some have a really nice smell burning nice and clean, I even comment on them burning so well and we had a bloke who would drive his big Toyota wagon right up to the garage dropping off tiles and it was fine but all other new diesels are crap and we have to make them turn them off because we could not work due to being gassed out of the house.

We have had more problems with sulphur coming out of the ground here, went to north NZ and they had a place where it was coming out, but it was a lot better smelling, sort of sweet but ours is sour smelling.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2018, 03:53 PM   #37
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainforcepatrol View Post
That was the so called Button Car Plan the sharing of car models with different badges in an attempt to reduce the number of manufacturers if i recall.
It was amazingly successful! Now we have 0 big manufacturers.
That the policy came from the ALP, who supposedly represent the people working (edit - who used to work) in those factories, is even more amazing.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #38
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Macron has done one amazing thing that is very bad for him, he has managed to unite
the far right and the far left against him. I don't think he and hs silly legislation will
survive beyond the next election, maybe the Germans are next?
Something very interesting is happening in the West - the middle ground is disappearing, and the far right/far left are polarising. When they unite over a common grievance, stuff like Yellow Vests happens and you have to go back to the leadup to 1789 to see similar economic squeeze-style discontent. Macron has, in his attempt to placate climate change/global warming, p1ssed off all of them. The YV have 84% public approval too.

Just to put it in perspective, too, imagine this is your lot here in Oz:

You get minimum wage, which is $9 per hour.
Fuel is $2.60 per litre, and the new tax to save the climate raises it to $3.00.
You have to drive to work, and housing prices are high so you are 40km away from work.
You bought a diesel to save about 30% on your fuel bill, but all of a sudden it will be banned from going into urban areas, where your friends and relatives may live.

This policy might just push them over the edge, and Macron's policy be remembered as the 'let them eat cake' misquote attributed to Marie Antoinette.

No one considering that peak of diesel production might be responsible for this.

AFF members: could you make your own fuel to get to work, if you had to?
Old 09-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #39
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

The Germans were producing large amounts of synthetic fuel during WWII. I don't see why our best and brightest can't manage to do the same thing.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #40
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
The Germans were producing large amounts of synthetic fuel during WWII. I don't see why our best and brightest can't manage to do the same thing.

its a trillion dollar industry, if it was possible it would of been created.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #41
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once electric car prices come close to the ICE cars the problem would be solved.

Estimates are that 2025 prices will be the same.

Instead of spending $60 on fuel, the lower class can spend $5 via off peak electricity.

Service and repair costs will even be lower.

The french would be better off taxing Ice cars and provide rebates to electric cars in the meantime.
Old 10-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #42
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
Once electric car prices come close to the ICE cars the problem would be solved.

Instead of spending $60 on fuel, the lower class can spend $5 via off peak electricity.

The french would be better off taxing Ice cars and provide rebates to electric cars in the meantime.
We realise that you love electric cars (even if you don't own one,) but please try to stay on topic.

Going by your above statement I'm guessing that by 'lower class' you mean all those that don't own an electric car ?
Old 10-12-2018, 05:22 PM   #43
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
its a trillion dollar industry, if it was possible it would of been created.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fische...ropsch_process

You're welcome.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:25 PM   #44
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"There is no energy crisis, only a crisis of ignorance." - R Buckminster Fuller
Old 10-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #45
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
The next scare should be "Peak Lithium" or "Peak Copper" (solar panels).

Ah but we love our devices and electric cars.

The "principle" is the same as "Peak Oil" but doesn't fit the political aims of academics and political movements.
Lithium is mined from Brine wells.....

Australia has quite a bit of copper still in the ground and about 44% of the world's known uranium deposits..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2018, 07:06 PM   #46
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:

You mean the economically challenged right? Anyway the above to me is a very loaded statement & its imo pure speculation, hyperbole & fantasy unless... Actually no, i wont go there, too off topic & just crystal ball gazing at this time.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #47
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
was talking about a 100% synthetic fuel as a mainstream replacement for fuel in cars.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:10 PM   #48
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
We realise that you love electric cars (even if you don't own one,) but please try to stay on topic.

Going by your above statement I'm guessing that by 'lower class' you mean all those that don't own an electric car ?
those protesting wont be the rich

they would be the lower to working classes who feel the pain the most.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:34 PM   #49
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Umm, fact is this thread is about diesel production falls not ev propaganda, earlier a very nice mod counselled you about going off topic & i will now too as the original poster of this thread - stick to the topic please or stay in the Tesla thread...

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Last edited by GasoLane; 10-12-2018 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #50
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
was talking about a 100% synthetic fuel as a mainstream replacement for fuel in cars.
To be fair, I think there is merit in urban areas running on electric, so long as the power that provides the movement is renewable and the cost of infrastructure to support the energy change does not bankrupt the nation. For the vast distances of this country, diesel is still important. Hence the post showing Fischer Tropsch, which the Germans and South Africans were successful with. Brazil has cane for ethanol (we have a little here & honestly it's better to burn sugar in an engine mmmm chocolate) and the US uses corn. We have a metric asston of CNG and this would make sense powering our vehicle fleet. But we sold it for 3c a litre?

It's going to take multiple avenues to solve replacing oil, if indeed peak production is occuring.

Peak easily accessible oil with a high EROEI is probably more the topic. Fully synthetic crude has been done, made from algae on more than one occasion. But it's expensive...

This link is very interesting too, the USN turning seawater into jet fuel:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/en...els-_n_5113822

I know for our household, the first commuter EV hatch in that 20K to 25K range and I'll be switching over to that. Purely economic reasons. I have the solar, waiting for the batteries to get to a 4 year payoff time, and then same with car, if fuel costs 5K a year the car will pay off in 4 if 20K.

If everyone like me did this however (prob going to happen) - what happens to the lithium deposits? They will get into 'peak' before too long so it is not a long term replacement. It takes aeons to accumulate the stuff in brine in special geological situations (sound familiar?). We better hope graphene comes along quickly.

How do EVs go in solar flares?

Edit: adds two better links on the jet fuel from seawater:

http://www.altenergy.org/new_energy/...-jet-fuel.html

https://www.treehugger.com/renewable...-seawater.html

Last edited by Sprintey; 10-12-2018 at 09:40 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #51
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Diesel will be the first fuel to be banned in many countries.

- pollutes the environment
- maker people sick
- smells and dirty to fuel up
- performance benefits replaced by EVs, hybrids etc..
- range can be replaced by hydrogen cars and eventually evs once chargers are everywhere.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #52
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Diesel will be the first fuel to be banned in many countries.

- pollutes the environment
- maker people sick
- smells and dirty to fuel up
- performance benefits replaced by EVs, hybrids etc..
- range can be replaced by hydrogen cars and eventually evs once chargers are everywhere.
Then what will we do when we reach peak energy consumption and we have black outs?

EV's just introduce new problems cause our pollies don't have the balls to build new power plants.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2018, 09:09 PM   #53
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Yes we are running out of oil. Well if you consider that we only have so much oil and we are using it an an ever increasing rate. There has to come a point when we will need more then can be found. Its not like we can produce or wait for another million years for more to form.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:49 PM   #54
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
Same old, same old mate. The 'Peak Oil' alarmists told us we were going to run out 20 years ago.

I'm not too concerned. Just a few more diesel haters having a sook.

Meh!
Just got back from working at Barrow Island. The Gorgan and Janske basins have enough gas and oil reserves for the next 50 years. Chevron have entered and arrangement with Woodside regarding other gas and oil fields in the Northwest. Peak oil? It's alarmist language from the climate change fraud peddlers and the NWO.

BTW, France isn't protesting about fuel tax. They're protesting about the take over of their country by the EU and globalists. I see a European Spring upon us. People have had enough of the LGBTI, politically correct and NWO narratives.
5 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #55
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Once peak population is addressed in a sensible and sustainable way, there won't need to be so much worry over peak anything. Simple laws of economics- once supply can no longer meet demand, reduce demand.
We are living in interesting times indeed
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2018, 10:20 PM   #56
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
Yes we are running out of oil. Well if you consider that we only have so much oil and we are using it an an ever increasing rate. There has to come a point when we will need more then can be found. Its not like we can produce or wait for another million years for more to form.
I seem to remember similar words during the first Gulf war........anyone old enough to remember that?
Old 11-12-2018, 10:30 PM   #57
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep stayed up & watched it start live on CNN when I was a kid. In today's age of information that's nothing new, but it was completely novel at the time.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:02 PM   #58
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
Once peak population is addressed in a sensible and sustainable way, there won't need to be so much worry over peak anything. Simple laws of economics- once supply can no longer meet demand, reduce demand.
So by common sense, isn’t the correct path depopulation? Since life expectancy is increasing, lowering birth rates throughout the board should work wonders for all the issues facing humanity
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2018, 11:07 PM   #59
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty351 View Post
So maybe... wipe out the entire Middle East?
It would reduce population and give us free access to large oil supplies.
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2018, 11:14 PM   #60
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
So maybe... wipe out the entire Middle East?
It would reduce population and give us free access to large oil supplies.
That’s politically incorrect on so many levels lol,

Last edited by GasoLane; 11-12-2018 at 11:26 PM. Reason: It's also against the T&C's :-)
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post