Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-03-2018, 08:34 PM   #1
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Heatshield recommendations

Looking for recommendations on exhaust heat shields that I can either stick on the underbody of the car or attach to the exhaust itself.

Only looking to do the area around the header collectors and cats, where heat is coming through the foot well.

Anything out there that is reasonably priced and works well?
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2018, 08:40 PM   #2
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Heatshield recommendations

Check out one of the companies which sell &/or fit LPG conversions. They use some good looking heat shielding which can be cut to size for your use.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2018, 08:59 PM   #3
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

This is good and easy to fit...

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Heat-Shi...wAAOSwnipWWu-M
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2018, 09:25 PM   #4
Rambunctious

Heat shielding over the years installed by manufacturers has predominately been thin aluminium sheet usually attached with riverts/bolts using the same sheet as stand off brackets.
Investment in some sheet and tools might be worth a look if you are ok with doing your own stuff.
Rambunctious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2018, 09:28 PM   #5
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Super cheap has some heat shield in a pack.
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...x-290mm/121225
Old 12-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #6
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

carbuilders.com.au

melbourne based business fantastic sound deadening and absorbing stuff. He does what your after as well.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:13 PM   #7
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something to consider, price for ceramic coating headers for V8 & Cats is $500. Yes there is a bit of stuffing around, but it is the only proven method. Exhaust bandages are a waste of time in my opinion & the bitumen coated adhesive sheets are better at noise suppression rather than minimising heat. Good luck.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-03-2018, 07:43 PM   #8
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks. I've previously bought some sound deadeners from carbuilders so might try their adhesive heat shields.

Ceramic coating would cost too much. I'd have to get the headers and cats removed then reinstalled again. On a 5.4L it is quite a bit of labour.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-03-2018, 10:35 PM   #9
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very good point. Owning a 5.0i Windsor, I forget the size of those great heads on the 5.4. I am in the process of putting together a complete exhaust package at the moment and like you mention, it can get very expensive. Regarding the heat, a guy I know who built a pro street camaro and he used a bitumen style adhesive & doubled the layers where the heat source was. I had a quick look online before writing this & the sound deadener is the go to for sound/heat. Some suggested the thickest aluminum sheet possible, depending on severity I suppose. Good luck!

Last edited by au350hp; 13-03-2018 at 10:56 PM.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post