Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-07-2007, 10:49 PM   #241
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

If i get to the mechanic's tomorrow morning ... I'll see if i can compare them ... they usually have at least 1 B-series in there ... might just ask Joe anyway ... he'd know ... he's being playing with a heap of different setups as it is.

then again ... Macarthur Parts plus guys will definitely know ... they pull them apart all the time. Will see what i can find out.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 10:53 PM   #242
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus
With doing it this way with BA stub axle, do you need to change the lower arm on the SER1?
My whole parts list to do this so far has consisted of:
Stub axles
calipers,
discs,
EB Swaybar (and the pins/bushes for it).

I don't need anything else. The EB swaybar lets me use the rest of the parts while still giving enough clearance for the rest of the bits (from my limited understanding of how this all works).

Has Fez and XB.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 10:59 PM   #243
loxxr6
XB in parts...

As best as I remember as well, Macarthur Parts were saying that for S1 owners, the brake upgrade would be much more noticeable but the pedal feel may still be a bit soft.

Apparently you can change to an AU2 master cylinder as well for a firmer feel but its more of a headache coz it involves drilling holes and I think stuffing around with the pedal box.

Has Fez and XB.

Old 18-07-2007, 11:01 PM   #244
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Thanks for tha Lox. I'll be doing the same conversion in the next few months by the looks of it. Just need the stub axles and swaybar. Thinking a nice, fat Whiteline 27mm jobbie will do the trick

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2007, 11:03 PM   #245
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

If you want firmer pedal feel ... get braided lines for the brakes all-round.

I just had my master cylidenr done in the AUII ute ... and the pedal is soft now (at least it doesn't sink to the floor though) ... it used to have quite a firm feel as well.

I also flushed the fluid at the time too ... so there's new fluid and no air in the system.
Old 18-07-2007, 11:07 PM   #246
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
If you want firmer pedal feel ... get braided lines for the brakes all-round.

I just had my master cylidenr done in the AUII ute ... and the pedal is soft now (at least it doesn't sink to the floor though) ... it used to have quite a firm feel as well.

I also flushed the fluid at the time too ... so there's new fluid and no air in the system.
good advice.. I'll be going braided I think.

Old 18-07-2007, 11:10 PM   #247
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

That's one thing I really want to do ... just have to get Pirtek to make them up though ... have heard some of the AUII hoses don't fit ... and I think the ute uses different ones on the rear ... so have to send my ones on the ute away in the morning ... get them made ... and have them put back on in the afternoon.
Old 18-07-2007, 11:10 PM   #248
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Thanks for tha Lox. I'll be doing the same conversion in the next few months by the looks of it. Just need the stub axles and swaybar. Thinking a nice, fat Whiteline 27mm jobbie will do the trick
Be sure to check the difference in the size of the original swaybar (EB) vs an aftermarket one in case the clearance becomes an issue. I had thought of doing the same thing (aftermarket swaybar) but I got impatient and just wanted the car in to get done.

Has Fez and XB.

Old 18-07-2007, 11:12 PM   #249
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Joe does the braided lines as well. $140~ a pair I think ??? (don't quote me on that tho)

Has Fez and XB.

Old 18-07-2007, 11:14 PM   #250
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Bit far for me to go visit Joe unfortunately.

Once you get the car back can you post up pics with the wheel off showing the setup and the swaybar clearance please? I really would like to see the end results, pictures worth 1000 words.

Old 18-07-2007, 11:15 PM   #251
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
Joe does the braided lines as well. $140~ a pair I think ??? (don't quote me on that tho)
Yeah he has them ... for all models actually ... but he had issues with the AUII (some models) ... and I think the utes he doesn't have the rears ... so they have to be sent away.

Don't worry ... I get all my work done there ... he looks after me.

If you saw the powdercoated rocker cover in front of the counter ... that's mine ... but the coaters did it the wrong colour ... it's going elsewhere and getting done properly.
Old 18-07-2007, 11:20 PM   #252
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Shane ... FTG do the same lines ... they were joint offering them on FordMods a while ago ... same kit ... same price.

Speak with Darren ... I am sure he is still doing them ... and much closer for you as well.
Old 18-07-2007, 11:23 PM   #253
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Shane ... FTG do the same lines ... they were joint offering them on FordMods a while ago ... same kit ... same price.

Speak with Darren ... I am sure he is still doing them ... and much closer for you as well.
Braided lines wont be an issue for me. G&D will be able to get that sorted and do all the fitting for me no problems.
Once I know whats needed its just a matter of dropping off the car and picking it back up again with all the goodies attached

Old 18-07-2007, 11:27 PM   #254
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will also be interested in seeing pics of this setup. Would a sway bar off an EB XR8 be thicker than standard?
Old 18-07-2007, 11:29 PM   #255
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Lox ... if you car is still there in the morning tomorrow ... I'll try and get there and take some decent photos if i can.
Old 18-07-2007, 11:36 PM   #256
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Yeah cool, that'd be great.

I have to let Joe know I won't be able to pick the car up til Friday anyway so you should have no probs getting some pics in.

Has Fez and XB.

Old 18-07-2007, 11:44 PM   #257
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

thanks guys, help is very much appreciated

Old 19-07-2007, 12:02 AM   #258
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

woot!! good to hear these brake conversions are getting easier and easier for us hard done by AU1 owners with EA size brakes hehe

keen to find out total costs people are paying and where to go!!
the lanes REALLY need help slowing down!
Old 19-07-2007, 12:07 AM   #259
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Braided lines wont be an issue for me. G&D will be able to get that sorted and do all the fitting for me no problems.
Once I know whats needed its just a matter of dropping off the car and picking it back up again with all the goodies attached
Would be interested to hear what the installations costs are, trying to find somewhere semi local to get mine done.

For Vic members, Hi-tek (or hightek I can't remember) brakes in Moorabbin do adr compliant braided lines for $130 pair front or rear. They make them onsite too, so no issues with sedan/wagon/ute differences.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2007, 06:30 PM   #260
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Well I have word the car is done. "Like chalk and cheese" is the verdict on the difference.

I'll pick the car up tomorrow and if Mechan1k hasn't already gotten pics I'll try and sort some out over the w/e.

Has Fez and XB.

Old 19-07-2007, 06:45 PM   #261
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is the EB swaybar the same as the EA item?

and what piece is the stub axle?? is that just the whole upright section? that goes between the upper and lower control arm??

was that all that ended up being needed??

cant wait to see pics etc!
Old 20-07-2007, 04:56 PM   #262
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
is the EB swaybar the same as the EA item?

and what piece is the stub axle?? is that just the whole upright section? that goes between the upper and lower control arm??

was that all that ended up being needed??

cant wait to see pics etc!
I think the EA may be different. Only reason I say this is that I was asked to get an EB swaybar specifically.

The stub axle is the "upright" section.

In addition to that and the swaybar, they had to drill into the lower control arm and cut the stabiliser pin bushes down as they were too long.

I have the car back and I just need to bed the brakes in.

Joe thought they were a bit spongier than his car - AU2 -, even after bleeding them this morning, but I'm guessing that may be just the difference between the master cylinders as even Macarthur said that the pedal feel would be different. Some braided lines may help with this.

Has Fez and XB.

Old 20-07-2007, 06:13 PM   #263
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hmm will be interesting to see pics

would you say the modifications they did were DIYable??
Old 21-07-2007, 10:25 PM   #264
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Any pics yet?
I had a good look at mine today with the bearings off and I can see why the AU1 swaybar gets in the way. I think I know why the EB one will work too. Makes sense to me. I even had an AU2 setup to refer to at the same time too

Old 22-07-2007, 11:07 PM   #265
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I took some pics but my camera is technologically challenged (that is, not a digital one). When I finish the roll I'll see how they turned out.

I might even see if I can get a hold of a digital cam instead...

Has Fez and XB.

Old 23-07-2007, 08:51 AM   #266
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Sorry guys .. I was too tired after night shift to make the trek down to Liverpool to get pics of it ... if i could have I would.

There is a decent difference in master cylinder too from AUI to AUII ... so this is probably what is causing the spongieness in the brakes.
Old 23-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #267
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There is a decent difference in master cylinder too from AUI to AUII ... so this is probably what is causing the spongieness in the brakes.
Are the differences internal with the master cylinder or external ?
Old 29-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #268
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

any pics yet Loxx?

Old 29-07-2007, 05:23 PM   #269
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I finished the roll of film today so I'll prob get it developed tomorrow.

I hope the pics turn out ok.

Has Fez and XB.

Old 29-07-2007, 08:51 PM   #270
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Interested to see how it goes.