Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #511
FAT245
Lacking Imagination

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Nath deserve's a Technical Contributor award for his willingness to share everything in his vast knowledge of tuning EEC-IV and -V Falcons, not to mention engines! 
Default Re: BA brakes onto AU...

Hey Papa Smurf,

Just to confirm, you used BA Sedan front brake lines for the rear brakes?
If this is true, i have spare lines here i can use

Also what is the mounting plate you have the rear lines on?

My 11 Second AU Fairlane
364w | 225cc CNC | ---/---@0.050 | Morrison Motorsport ITB Manifold | MoTeC M150 (Engine Control) | PCS TCM-2800 (Trans Control) | 6800rpm Stall | 4R75W
FAT245 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2013, 02:43 AM   #512
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

No, I used the REAR standard BA hoses for the rear. I had to drill extra holes in the rail to fit properly. The brake steel pipes are the standard ones, just reshaped them a little to fit.
Take a look at my Build thread, gives a better look.

If you need more info, Email or PM me.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2013, 02:46 AM   #513
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus View Post
Is the use of the BA bracket for live axles only or can it be used on the IRS setup as well.
A bloke I know added same Calipers to the rear of an AU IRS and never changed the backing plates, he modified the Calipers somehow? The larger Calipers need to be spaced further away from the Backing plate, about 3-5mm.
Old 30-03-2013, 09:41 PM   #514
lotus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
A bloke I know added same Calipers to the rear of an AU IRS and never changed the backing plates, he modified the Calipers somehow? The larger Calipers need to be spaced further away from the Backing plate, about 3-5mm.
Thanks for the info.
I knew about the rear calipers having to be about 3mm further out. I have got a piece of aluminium plate 3mm thick and have had a photo of a bracket someone made up a while ago. So will make a set up soon and see how they fit .
That's the next thing for the AU, 330mm front and 328mm rear brakes, Koni shocks,springs and check all the suspension for any other things to replace.
Old 31-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #515
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Good for you Lotus. Why not the 322 fronts? they are cheap enough and easier to find at Wreckers.
I am guessing that yours is a IRS? There is still a lot of stuff available on Ebay for the IRS AU's
Old 27-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #516
ashebxr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
I have fitted FG Front 322mm and Rear 328mm to my AUIII XR6. On the rear I changed the back plate and used BA Wagon/Ute ones. I don't like the idea of using spacers or grinding parts to fit, using the BA back plates made it a bolt on only job.
I did change the front and rear brake hoses, used BA standards on the front and BA Sedan ones on the rear, came out ok.
I have some fg xr6 turbo brakes. Will these fit under the 17 inch rim on the au or will it need 18's. Were these direct bolt up on the front.

Cheers Ash.
ashebxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #517
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

will territory front calipers bolt straight up onto an early au2?? can someone confirm it does or doesn't.

cheers dean
BLU-220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #518
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Mounting brackets are different.
99AUXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #519
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Yes, they will bolt up but you won't be able to put the disc on due to the placement of the mounting brackets.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #520
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

oh well back to the drawing board, i'll just get some bf x6t/xr8 brakes. thanks guys for the info. cheers dean
Old 22-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #521
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Yeah, those are what you want. Before I knew this I almost ordered some Terry calipers thinking they would fit. They're the same but they don't fit.

Old 22-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #522
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by genebaby View Post
Yeah, those are what you want. Before I knew this I almost ordered some Terry calipers thinking they would fit. They're the same but they don't fit.
i found some ba gt premium brakes, i had these on my old au3 fairmont, big improvement compare to stock, i got a brake shop to fit them along with braided lines, my question is will the ba gt premium brakes bolt straight up to my car,?? as i'll be doing this myself i don't want any set backs.

cheers dean
Old 22-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #523
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Those will fit no problem, they are better than the BF Turbo/XR8 brakes.

Old 22-09-2013, 07:30 PM   #524
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm thinking about getting these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290965122...84.m1423.l2649
you put the new slides on BA callipers and away you go they do a kit with new callipers too but I already have a set of BA callipers. the slides won't fit your AU callipers they are slightly different

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #525
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

They will work, they are basically BF upgrade caliper mounts, which use the standard pad, but allow the bolting up of the 322mm discs.

Old 22-09-2013, 08:41 PM   #526
bluestripes
Q - CAR

Originally my Au ute was a series 1 ... So I followed the sticky on here and swapped over to the series 2 front end.
I than swapped over the front and back brakes to the black BA XR8 premiums... Which I believe to be the same as the PBR... And it was the PBR website that gave me the fitting instructions and spacer required. For the spacer ... I just used a fat washer and it worked fine. Also ... I fitted these brakes under factory AU 17 in alloy wheels .. And they fitted with about 3 or 4 mm clearance. It was so tight I needed to remove some of the lead wheel alignment weights, but they fit and since the upgrade I have not had a problem.

347 Windsor Stroked; (10:2.1) / TFS 190 heads / TFS R Series 90 manifold / Accufab 85mm Race TB / 90mm Lightening MAF / K&N 90mm pod CAI / FTI custom cam (230-236 @ 50) / Bosch 36lb inject / MSD coil + leads / ASR 8lt sump / Mcleod RST Twin Plate Clutch / Pacemakers PH4006 + 3" single exhaust / BA Premium brake pac / Pedders Xtreme coil over shocks / 30mm Whiteline sway / 3.45 LSD / Custom FG bonnet / Ghia interior upgrade / Enkie Rims - staggered / Quarter Horse tuned.
bluestripes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #527
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

here's my old au3 fairmont with ba gt brakes with territory rear rotors, and they just fit with 17" tickford rims only just, so if amyone says they don't here's proof. cheers dean

Old 22-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #528
bluestripes
Q - CAR

Great stuff ... great pics !!
I'm running these brakes also.... And I bloody luv em !!

347 Windsor Stroked; (10:2.1) / TFS 190 heads / TFS R Series 90 manifold / Accufab 85mm Race TB / 90mm Lightening MAF / K&N 90mm pod CAI / FTI custom cam (230-236 @ 50) / Bosch 36lb inject / MSD coil + leads / ASR 8lt sump / Mcleod RST Twin Plate Clutch / Pacemakers PH4006 + 3" single exhaust / BA Premium brake pac / Pedders Xtreme coil over shocks / 30mm Whiteline sway / 3.45 LSD / Custom FG bonnet / Ghia interior upgrade / Enkie Rims - staggered / Quarter Horse tuned.
Old 26-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #529
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

I'm picking up a set of ba gt premium brakes on friday can i use the gt brake lines?? As like to try and do it over the weekend

Cheers dean
Old 26-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #530
bluestripes
Q - CAR

I used the BA brake lines... though i did not hook them onto the shocky, choosing just to let them float free behind the shocky and everything is fine.

Though just have a look when you get them. Common sense will tell you what you can or can not do.

PS - plus just this week i installed pedders extreme XA coil overs... and they had no brake line bracket, so all should be good !

Old 26-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #531
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

I used the BA brake lines... though i did not hook them onto the shocky, choosing just to let them float free behind the shocky and everything is fine.

Though just have a look when you get them. Common sense will tell you what you can or can not do.

thanks bluetripes i think thats what i'll do.

PS - plus just this week i installed pedders extreme XA coil overs... and they had no brake line bracket, so all should be good !
Old 28-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #532
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

well i picked them up last night, just got to give a clean first and fit them

the decals have rub off. and there's no caliper paint in this colour, only in engine enamel [ford comp blue] which is almost exact, so can i use that?? i'll be using caliper paint primer + caliper paint clear.

cheers dean
Old 12-07-2015, 11:47 PM   #533
tkfd
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have done this BF XR8 Rears conversion on my AU2 XR8 and was all good, until I had to change the toe-link balljoints. The AM (Ford no longer make them) ones come too close for comfort to the rotor, cause they are a bit fatter. The rubber boot actually touches them

Im thinking of re-doing them and using the brembo rotor (DBA4507S) which have a 51mm offset as opposed to the 58mm, therefore bring the rotor surface outward. I will have to change the caliper mount. 51mm is the standard offset for AU (IRS)

i am going to countersunk the mounting tabs on the caliper cradle 5mm (8mm diff, minus the 3mm spacers I had to use before) to bring the caliper outwards. Hopefully this works. My other option was to use a 3mm wheel spacer behind the rotor, but don't really like the idea of the spacers
tkfd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 12:15 PM   #534
bluestripes
Q - CAR

I've currently got a rubbing sound in my rear right wheel after installing the ford territory turbo rear calipers and I need to be mindful of points highlighted here when I strip the wheel diwn for investigation ... For at first I thought it may have been the handbrake disc to tight ( and maybe still is ) ... However it's just hard finding the time to troubleshoot all the minor problems that occur.

Also have coolant leak plus I think the cam angle sensor is playing up again as surging has re appeared.

Anyways - reason for this post. My calipers where actually black with the ford logo and PBR .., but it had all worn off, so I resrayed mine black and purchased ford logos off eBay. And the came up great. Just could not get the smaller PBR logo as the supplier said it was too small to laser cut.

Old 13-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #535
bluestripes
Q - CAR

Just a couple of pics of my callipers when i purchased for $800 and then once I resprayed using the ebay ford stickers ... and stickers have been on now for over 6 months and all is good. plus - i did not spray with clear coat as i was unsure of the temp rating of that paint.

Old 13-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #536
tkfd
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Be aware I am talking about rear brakes, but yes worth a check to saw it that rubbing sound is the toe- link BJ

QUOTE=bluestripes;5435816]I've currently got a rubbing sound in my rear right wheel after installing the ford territory turbo rear calipers and I need to be mindful of points highlighted here when I strip the wheel diwn for investigation ... For at first I thought it may have been the handbrake disc to tight ( and maybe still is ) ... However it's just hard finding the time to troubleshoot all the minor problems that occur.

Also have coolant leak plus I think the cam angle sensor is playing up again as surging has re appeared.

Anyways - reason for this post. My calipers where actually black with the ford logo and PBR .., but it had all worn off, so I resrayed mine black and purchased ford logos off eBay. And the came up great. Just could not get the smaller PBR logo as the supplier said it was too small to laser cut.[/QUOTE]
tkfd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #537
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestripes View Post
..could not get the smaller PBR logo as the supplier said it was too small to laser cut.
Yeah, lasers are such course imprecise cutting tools, hang on

Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #538
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Yeah, lasers are such course imprecise cutting tools, hang on

The one on Lost in Space the TV series is
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2015, 06:37 PM   #539
thexd351
Starter Motor

Hi BLU-220,
The pics show territory rear rotors and calipers on the live axle but what did you use for dust backing plates. Did you cut the originals to fit around the caliper or leave them off altogether. I noticed you used braided lines , didn't the original fit properly.
thanks
thexd351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2015, 06:44 PM   #540
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thexd351 View Post
Hi BLU-220,
The pics show territory rear rotors and calipers on the live axle but what did you use for dust backing plates. Did you cut the originals to fit around the caliper or leave them off altogether. I noticed you used braided lines , didn't the original fit properly.
thanks
I think from memory i took the dust plates off, it was over 6 years ago when i done it

i got the brake shop to fit the braided lines all-round