Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default VW Caddy

Im looking at getting one of these for work . I ask the local dealer for a test drive but he does not have one at his yard for me to test drive so i have to wait a little while.
I looking at the 1.9 TDI .
So im just wondering anyone here had any expeirences with them .
An are they as slow as the spec sheet suggests . I'm not looking or expecting xr8 or even falcon performance but i dont want to have to ring its neck just overtake or navigate a hill .
Anyway thanks in advance

snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
xrfalcon
On The Limiter

I have driven one for work for the last 4 years and i can say fantastic. Don't worry about over taking they have what it take to pass cars and a good speed. I have the 1.9 tdi with 6 speed DSG auto. I have about 500 kg in the back all the time and get about 650-700klms to 60litres of diesel and i push it all the time around Sydney.

The problems i have had in this time 2 ac compressors have failed repaired under warranty. At the moment the key remote has stopped and the trailer lights have stopped working, Due to can bus wiring dramas.

But apart from that i would get one again next one would probably be the Caddy maxi with dual sliding doors and the single lift up door on the rear.
xrfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's good news because as far as design goes it suits my needs very well. It got plenty of storage and it not too high when roof racks are fitted i dont need a step ladder to get things on/off.
I wasn't going to get the maxi but i was going to tick the box for the duel sliding doors . I keep reading about the tailgate option but wasn't sure on wait it was because the various taligate options they could be talking about .
Do you think the auto was worth the xtra coin ?
Old 18-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not needed now thanks sourbastard.
Old 19-04-2010, 01:20 AM   #5
Arkturus

We have a couple at work, and they do go ok, but im quite tall (6 foot 1) and struggled to get comfy in it, had the seat all the way back and my knees were up near my ears!
And those crazy europeans have the indicator and wiper stalks back to front!
Thankfully they put me in an FG ute instead :1syellow1
Arkturus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 02:49 AM   #6
Stoney!
Happy Volkswagen owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkturus
We have a couple at work, and they do go ok, but im quite tall (6 foot 1) and struggled to get comfy in it, had the seat all the way back and my knees were up near my ears!
And those crazy europeans have the indicator and wiper stalks back to front!
Thankfully they put me in an FG ute instead :1syellow1
We got an FG ute at work and all I can say is I wish we had Caddy's!!

Stoney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Holden are kicking the enemy when they are down. Trouble is Ford seems to lay down a lot.
Stoney! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #7
Spudz27
Call me Spud

We have the latest maxi model for work . It was delivered to us 4 weeks ago after waiting 3 months for it to be built and shipped over. It is really nice to drive, the 1.9TDI is surprisingly fast at accel, we got around 800km out of the first tank and I am about to take it on a 1100km drive to see customers in the smaller country towns we service. It is roomy in the cabin, has a nice interior etc. My only gripe is the 6sp DSG. I don't really like it very much and why did they put sportsmatic in it? because it doesn't even work as a manual, it will automatically change down gears when revs/speed gets to low for the gear, not like the FG it actually stays in the gear you selected. Also do not like feeling as if there is no front end. I have adjusted the seat to be able to see the bonnet, but you end up too high in the cabin. So even though it looks like there is not front end, you need to constantly remember there is. Overall it is a nice vehicle and 100x better than the POS triton we had.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post