Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-03-2024, 11:36 PM   #1
snowbear 77
Starter Motor

Default solar powered fans hook up.......

heya guys, i have 2 solar king fans ( that if it's believed, work better by upto 20 times than a normal whirly bird. I've bypassed the thermostat inside, so this means as soon as sun hits the solar panel on th solar king, it fires up and starts sucking hot air out of my roof space. now, i want more....i have a https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/23541806...r=535531229690
and i want to hook this upto a solar panel. And this thing works way better than the solar kings by 100 yards. i keep seeing these set-up that have a expensive regulator, that is hooked upto a car battery, and it just goes on and on. i just want it to turn on when the solar panel is touched by the sun and that this is then wired into this 8 inch extractor and turns it on. if these solar kings can do it, it cant be that complicated. I'm aware i will need bigger solar panels to run this, but can someone give us a clue on how to get this up and running the way i want it to..........with no risk of fire.
cheers
snowbear 77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2024, 10:23 AM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: solar powered fans hook up.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowbear 77 View Post
heya guys, i have 2 solar king fans ( that if it's believed, work better by upto 20 times than a normal whirly bird. I've bypassed the thermostat inside, so this means as soon as sun hits the solar panel on th solar king, it fires up and starts sucking hot air out of my roof space. now, i want more....i have a https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/23541806...r=535531229690
and i want to hook this upto a solar panel. And this thing works way better than the solar kings by 100 yards. i keep seeing these set-up that have a expensive regulator, that is hooked upto a car battery, and it just goes on and on. i just want it to turn on when the solar panel is touched by the sun and that this is then wired into this 8 inch extractor and turns it on. if these solar kings can do it, it cant be that complicated. I'm aware i will need bigger solar panels to run this, but can someone give us a clue on how to get this up and running the way i want it to..........with no risk of fire.
cheers
That link you provided shows a AC powered bower fan. The solar panel isn't going to remotely run that as it is.

An AC powered blower will need large panels, charging several batteries of matched sizing, along with a regulator and a inverter to take care of the switch from DC storage to AC power. A totally inefficient way to do it.

Did you ever think about using a 12-24V DC powered marine engine bay blower sold at a marine chandlery (Whitworths) even then a solar panel will probably not have enough power to overcome the spindles resistance in the motor to start it.
Hence why its so hard to build a proper solar powered 12V air conditioner with out banks of batteries, a huge solar array linked by regulator.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2024, 11:27 AM   #3
snowbear 77
Starter Motor

I found this invertor that should do the job,https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/31475343...YAAOSwPnVk~sSW , by plugging in a solar panel into the back. There are several models of this, some a little higher or lower..........just cant work out which model i really need. I understand solar panels come in 12v or 24v, but can not find any 48v...........do i get 48v by using 4X12vs or 2X24v's? And basically, i should say what i want this set up for..........I have and enclosed garage, no, windows, no noting but 3 walls of brick and 1 roller door.........and it gets stinking hot in there during summer. I have used this blower fan already, having it sit on a roof vent , suck from the garage into the roof space, and it cooled the garage by 10 degrees within 1 hour........of course, down the track i will have to run ducting so i can direct the heat to go outside my roof space.....and i only want to run these blower fans - when its hot......
Old 20-03-2024, 01:00 PM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

So I googled solar Kings......and for those who are not familiar with them...taken from their website......

Easy Installation and Superior Performance

The SolarKing Exhaust Fan can be self-installed or you can use one of our approved installers to do the job for you. The unit just required 1 roof tile to be removed for installation or for metal roof’s just a 300mm opening.

The brushless DC motor makes the operation quiet and assures the motor will have long life. Being brushless it is also far more efficient compared to other motors so the performance is better.

I like the idea of them.

There is a wired version option for plug in 240V mains power used for night time.
48 and 56V panels are available. Good luck.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2024, 03:47 PM   #5
snowbear 77
Starter Motor

small trick, there is a thermostat in the wiring , that wont let it turn on till it's 25c, you can bridge these wires , so as soon as the sun hits the solar panel, it turns on automatically.........and somewhere around 32c - 35c, it goes to full 1600rpm.
This user likes this post:
Old 03-04-2024, 02:59 PM   #6
snowbear 77
Starter Motor

I've got my roof fans figured out, but now, I'm working on a design to put 3 - 9inch thermo fans, that will blow the heat out from the sides of my garage, of course these will be powered by solar........and have noticed a lot of solar panels come it 12 volt. I'm trying to figure if i need a 200w or 300w solar panel, and each fan will be wired with a resistor switch which will allow the speed of the fan. Having these fans already in 12 volt, running the wire down into a splitter box, that can split up and run the wires to all 3 thermos. Is there something in the line i should have to help from burn out. Each resistor switch comes with a 30 amp fuse...............any thoughts.
Old 03-04-2024, 08:27 PM   #7
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Very interesting. I've been looking at these Solar kings for a while.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2024, 08:36 PM   #8
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I put a solar powered fan similar to the Solar King that I bought from Bunnings a couple of years ago. It seemed to make a difference, and I was looking at getting more. I was up on the roof the other week putting up a Starlink dish, and found it was no longer pumping air.

I’ll have to get back up to pull it out, see if it’s repairable, or look at alternatives.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-04-2024, 12:24 AM   #9
snowbear 77
Starter Motor

There good between 3-4 years.......but in your case, and wire might have come loose.