Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 28-11-2008, 10:50 PM   #1
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Default MondeoXR5t's vehicle.

G'Day guys,

Had a few guys ask for some photos of my car after I detailed it. Im only just getting to it now, sorry about that.

Process was.
- Foam and presoak in Meguiar's Gold class shampoo mixed with meguiar's professional All purpose Cleaner.

- Rinse off presoak and wash with Zaino Z7 car wash using the two bucket method. Aquatouch wash mitts used.

- Clayed the car using Blue clay magic bar, lubricated with #49 body shine.

- Wash car once more with Zaino Z7 shampoo.

- Dried the car using Aquatouch waffle Weave drying towel.

- Rolled the car into the garage for paint correction.
Menzerna 106FF polish was used on a blue edge 6.5" buffing pad on the Flex Vrg forced rotation polisher.

Checked for defects with halogen lights, buffed polish residue with aquatouch microfibre aided by menzerna final inspection.

- After correction, car was once again washed with Zaino Z7 car wash with a shot glass of Megs APC to aid in removing the Menzerna oils.

- 1 coat of ZFX enabled Z5 sealant was applied and buffed off. Then 2 coats of zfx enabled Z2pro sealant applied and buffed. Z6 spritz was used between all layers.

- After Z2 has cured, the car was topped with Swissvax Onyx carnauba paste wax applied by hand, and buffed to a shine.

- Alloy rim hoops were polished with p21s polishing soap and mothers billet polish. Sealed with Optimum Spray Wax.

- Tyres dressed with Z16 tyre dressing.

Here are a few pics.

LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #2
warren77

Nice job. Love the shine and the night shots.

I haven't cleaned mine for the past 8 days. I notice that it has picked up a few marks. Most noticeably in the black plastic at the top of the doors. Any suggestions on how I can stop them appearing? When it was freshly waxed, there were no swirl marks.

I notice your X5T has the straight exhaust pipes - mine has the dump pipes. Have been thinking of changing but personally I do not mind the dump pipes.
warren77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Regarding the exhaust pipes, that's how they come from factory now.
Old 29-11-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice photo's. Although I don't think the simmons suit the shape of the Mondeo. They look too small.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 02:44 AM   #5
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Thanks guys.

Exhaust isn't stock, its modified. Thats why the tips are different. Mine had the dumpers as well from factory.

The black piano trim in between front and rear doors is a PITA for swirls Warren77. The only thing you can do is polish it lightly and maybe apply a sealant with a slight filling effect such as Z5.

I try to wash as gently as possible on this area to minimise swirls and marks.

TXR, my simmons were custom made for the car, I had to wait several months for them. I love the look, but yes possibly I would have opted for one inch larger in diameter if given the choice again.

Its quite hard to picture the wheels when you don't get a chance to see them on the car. Also the 19" simmons, the centres go all the way to the edge of the hoop, the 18"s do not, this makes them look smaller than they are :(

At least insurance is happy, tyres are still cheaper, ride and handling remain unchanged.

Also I didnt want to have an "all out" car, just a neat, tidy mondeo
Old 30-11-2008, 02:54 AM   #6
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I certainly think you've achieved neat and tidy. It's one very tidy car, that's for sure!
Old 30-11-2008, 10:05 AM   #7
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Thanks Zetec.

Just tossing up whether to go the de-badge or not...
Old 30-11-2008, 11:12 AM   #8
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
The black piano trim in between front and rear doors is a PITA for swirls Warren77. The only thing you can do is polish it lightly and maybe apply a sealant with a slight filling effect such as Z5.

I try to wash as gently as possible on this area to minimise swirls and marks.
You're not wrong there. I was stunned the first time I washed my car as to how many marks were already on them. I went back to the dealer and discovered all their new stock was basically the same.

Car looks great by the way.
Old 30-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #9
FRIKA
FRIKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRsedan
Thanks Zetec.

Just tossing up whether to go the de-badge or not...

Mines half debadged. no badges on the rear. Ill take some photos and put them up
Old 30-11-2008, 02:17 PM   #10
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The way the TDCi badge was stuck on it looks VERY cheap,agree it would look much better with none at all

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
warren77

Would like to see some de-badged photos. Have been thinking about doing it myself.
Old 30-11-2008, 02:48 PM   #12
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superoo
You're not wrong there. I was stunned the first time I washed my car as to how many marks were already on them. I went back to the dealer and discovered all their new stock was basically the same.

Car looks great by the way.
I have found that if I put some wax on them every time I wash the car, they tend to look less swirly.
Old 30-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #13
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRIKA
Mines half debadged. no badges on the rear. Ill take some photos and put them up
That would be great thanks!

The one thing I will definitely buy if they are ever made, is a replacement front grille in the same pattern but without the ford badge. And also a rear boot garnish minus the ford badge.

That would make the car look much cleaner I think.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:07 AM   #14
IDT
Marko

We have been thinking about adding XR5 Mondie to our garage. Has anyone had any dramas with the XR5 turbo?
Old 02-12-2008, 12:34 AM   #15
warren77

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
We have been thinking about adding XR5 Mondie to our garage. Has anyone had any dramas with the XR5 turbo?
If you jump through a few of the threads, you will see a few issues but I think I can do an ok job at summarizing a few

Water in Boot - new models have this fixed apparently
Air conditioning - not enough gas
Starting Problems - personally haven't had an issue

I personally love the car. It isn't perfect but bloody great value for money.
Fuel economy is excellent.
Value for money is best there is. I looked at a GT Liberty and MPS Mazda 6 (both were over $65K drive away), with the Mondeo considerably cheaper than that.

Take one our for a test drive - that is what I did and put in the order the next day. Even if I did have to wait nearly 4 months for it to turn up.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #16
paulie0735
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

I may be wrong here but the air-con issues I think are limited to the Diesel and non turbo petrol models, I think the XR5 has a different aircon pump (ala Volvo). Mine is great and has no trouble keeping the car cool in traffic on a 40 plus day (we had a few days at 40+ just after I purchased mine) I do know that there has been many complaints about the Mondeo aircon but so far I'm not hearing the same level of complaint from the XR5 owners?

Also I believe the starting issue or ECU failures have been limited to the cars with the integrated Bluetooth and full HMI interface kit.
paulie0735 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2008, 09:27 PM   #17
ian b

I had to have the aircon re-gassed on my XR5, which improved the performance.

Mine is late 07 build so maybe the later turbo models had the gas issue fixed before dispatch.

I would agree with Warren's comments re value for money, fuel economy, and it looks good on the road. Performance does not match XR6 turbo but it is quick enough to give most a run for their money. I currently get 9.8km/100lts mainly highway driving to Blue Mountains and back to Sydney.

The only downside for me is the slightly restricted view for the kids in the back seat, and the slight reflection of the airvents in the lower part of the windscreen, otherwise well impressed so far. (apart from the one time it failed to start!)

Certainly worth a test drive.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #18
piquetcon
Starter Motor

My XR5 is build date June 08 and the a/c has been useless since the day I picked it up. Struggles with any day over 20c. It is in for its 3,000km service on Monday and the dealer has it as a known issue and will be fixing the a/c at the same time (hopefully).

It appears other known issues listed have been fixed as I have had no other problems with the car. The car's been great!
piquetcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 01:59 AM   #19
warren77

Whilst I didn't go to the extremes of LR Sedan, I have just completed a major polish of my XR5 - which is also Sea Gray.

I only did two coats of Mother's Wax - one applied by hand and buffed, the other applied with a buffing machine. Rims were done using the wonderball - first time I have used this and still in two minds about it.

Results are pretty good - noticed a couple of car park dings, which is disappointing seeing I rarely park it in public carparks. But pretty happy with the result!

Pictures were taken on an old digital camera on the South Perth foreshore looking back across to the city.
Old 03-01-2009, 06:07 PM   #20
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

Good Job Warren77!

She has some nice reflections and the metallic is popping nicely.

Im due for another buff, Im going to be doing this week. I'll post up a few flicks again, some daytime ones.
Old 15-01-2009, 02:16 PM   #21
warren77

Thanks Mate!

Two weeks of the car sitting in a garage means it is all dirty again.
But will have to wait at least another week before I get a chance to clean her again.