Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-09-2008, 01:04 AM   #1
Vidura
Starter Motor

Default Rear Passenger Door Problem

Hi,

The rear passenger side door of my AU Falcon developed a strange problem recently. It started last week, when the door refused to open from outside. However, it opened without any problems from inside. After that even opening it from outside was fine.

A few days ago I locked the car using the keypad. I heard the locks working and the lights blinking as it would normally. When I checked the doors as I sometimes would, when I lift the door handle of the rear passenger side door, it unlocks all the doors and opens up. This is happening regardless of whether I use the keypad or lock the car with the key.

Upon searching the forums, I realised that the AU's have problems with actuators after sometime and I'm wondering whether it's the same in my case as well?

The only other bit of information I could give is that I've been trying to repair the passenger side rear demister connector that came off the windshield with a DIY kit for a couple of weeks now. It's currently disconnected and I'm wondering whether this has any connection with the door problem (in terms of wiring) at all.

Thanks,

V

Vidura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Moved here.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would say the actuator (the thing that locks the door) has had it. mine is similar, although it does lock, if you unlock the car and only open that door, it will relock after the 2 min timeout...it's almost like that door isn't "attached" to the rest of the system...i'd replace the actuator and see what happens from there, although, as a quick fix you can unhook the rod that connects the outside handle so the door can't be opened at all from outside, but MAKE SURE THE CHILD LOCK IS OFF before you do this because otherwise it's very hard to get the door open again
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #4
Vidura
Starter Motor

Thanks 'bodes-sh'. Replacing the actuator did solve the problem.

Cheers,

V
Vidura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 11:44 PM   #5
CYCO TROOPS
CYCO4D Wagon.

Yeh its the actuator. This happened to mine on the left passenger door and if I locked it with the alarm, you could still open the entire car and the alarm doesnt even go off.
Mine did make a funny sound though, and thats how I noticed it.
Old 14-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
The Monty
Just slidin'

Deffinately the actuator, just watch out as if you lock the car, that door we still be able to be opened from the outside.
Old 14-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #7
FORDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidura
Thanks 'bodes-sh'. Replacing the actuator did solve the problem.

Cheers,

V

I think he has already fixed it guys :
FORDavid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 06:26 PM   #8
The Monty
Just slidin'

Missed that one, lol.
Old 15-10-2008, 12:12 AM   #9
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Just a quick one to the gurus that might be looking at this thread ... I had the same problem and replaced the actuator fine, but because of the plastic cog inside the actuator causing the trouble I'm sure it'll happen again. I've heard rumours that the BA MK11 onwards had a metal cog but when I asked FTG they said they were all plastic, can anyone shed some light on this one? Yes I realise that there's a tutorial to put a screw into the shaft of the cog but surely there's another way to do it.
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #10
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i know there was someone on ebay doing some, there may have even been someone on here...basically, they would upgrade the plastic gears for metal ones, and you buy it on an exchange basis. ie you send your old one back, after purchasing a new one...someone else may be able to shed some more light on this
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #11
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
i know there was someone on ebay doing some, there may have even been someone on here...basically, they would upgrade the plastic gears for metal ones, and you buy it on an exchange basis. ie you send your old one back, after purchasing a new one...someone else may be able to shed some more light on this
I think you mean this guy....

http://stores.ebay.com.au/STRUT-ACTUATOR-SHOP

I've bought two from them ($65 +$10 postage) not metal but still very good units and very fast service.

Even faster in Melb, you can call 'round and pick them up
Old 17-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #12
sly
Sly like a G6

Gee you blokes are on the ball... saved me asking the question LOL. One of the 3 blokes I carpool with is getting sick of having to have the LHR door opened for him (is it always this same door BTW?).

And thanks for the link!
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2008, 10:58 PM   #13
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Yeah always the same door Sly.

On the link page click on a door actuator pic, his Phone Number is there.

When I rang he was playing golf, I still got the actuator quick though